Anyone notice something about girls in bands?

AuthorMessage
Skittles.
Geek
Skittles.

Mibba
September 19th, 2007 at 04:28am
I'm hoping to start a band with my friend, we both play guitar and we're both girls. I think if we find at least one or two boys for the band, it would help...we haven't really done anything yet, I still need to get her address and she needs to get mine. But wish us the best of luck. Very Happy Awesome pic, btw, merel.
High Fidelity
Falling In Love With The Board
High Fidelity
September 21st, 2007 at 12:29pm
Skittles.:
I'm hoping to start a band with my friend, we both play guitar and we're both girls. I think if we find at least one or two boys for the band, it would help...we haven't really done anything yet, I still need to get her address and she needs to get mine. But wish us the best of luck. Very Happy Awesome pic, btw, merel.
Awesome, Up. Put some music up when you start playing, I'd love to hear it, even if it's rough as hell (which it probably will be at first).
Electro Heartbeats.
King For A Couple Of Days
Electro Heartbeats.
September 29th, 2007 at 10:17pm
Nearly every band I listen to have female singers, there isn't atall a shortage of them. I do have to agree that MANbands seem to do a little better, or be better known. But there are loads of female bands who are amazing.
Seriously, more than half of my CD collection are female fronted bands.
Tre_Wacko
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Tre_Wacko
October 14th, 2007 at 02:52am
I think that the reason there are more well-known mostly male rock bands is because the female voice tends to sound more pop-ish.
Slipknot
Geek
Slipknot
November 7th, 2007 at 03:34am
In This Moment have a girl singer, Maria. There doing pretty alright.

I don't listen to may female singer bands, but the ones I do listen to, all rock.
Antithesis
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Antithesis
November 7th, 2007 at 06:57am
Just by reading the first few posts of this thread, there are obviously some chauvinistic male pigs out there who do not comprehend what the female species is capable of. It is true that there are more males in the music scene than females, but have you thought of it this way - that women are marked down by men because men realized their potential and are getting intimidated by them, hence men would do anything just to lower the competition.

The truth is, whether you like it or not, women are as talented and capable as men in almost any field. It is just men who feel insecure and bring up the need to belittle us females.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
November 7th, 2007 at 07:08am
I hate womanists. Men are indeed more capable in some fields. No one likes to admit it, but many generalizations are indeed true.

However, on a different note, I've recently discovered that KMFDM has a female vocalists. I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier.
A new song, Headcase, is sung entirely by her, and it's so incredible.
Antithesis
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Antithesis
November 7th, 2007 at 07:13am
Matt Bellamy:
I hate womenists. Men are indeed more capable in some fields. No one likes to admit it, but many generalizations are indeed true.

However, on a different note, I've recently discovered that KMFDM has a female vocalists. I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier.
A new song, Headcase, is sung entirely by her, and it's so incredible.

Yes they are more talented in SOME fields. But not all. And music does not turn out to be one of them. I do admit that men are born with better physical features but that is all that men are better than women at as far as I can figure. The only reason why women are not as active as men nowadays in some fields is only because throughout recorded history, women have been stereotyped as being handicapped without men and they were not given the chance to prove themselves until a few decades ago. And from then on, we have been overpowering men in many things. Isn't that proof enough.

We are not as capable as we could be throughout history because of MEN.
fantanoice
Geek
fantanoice
November 19th, 2007 at 05:43am
"It depends, i think its if the female is singing. But then again theres a few all female bands that seem to do alright. But i think the curse is when its all males and then just a female singer."

The Seekers had male members and a female singer, and they were hella successful.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
November 29th, 2007 at 09:01am
Girl drummers turn me off for some reason.
But if i a girl wants to play guitar she is automatically my new best friend.
Protest the Hero.
Protest the Hero.
May 3rd, 2008 at 09:34am
Heart? Their lead singer was a girl, and I think their guitarist was a girl, too.
I don't know the singer's name, but that woman had one of the strongest rock voices I've ever heard from a girl. And I think its safe to say they made it pretty far.
Greenzzz
Greenzzz
May 4th, 2008 at 04:13pm
www.spazzys.com
Sandwich-Masta
Geek
Sandwich-Masta
May 4th, 2008 at 11:45pm
Anyone here listen to Heart? At the moment I must admit I bear the title of "casual fan"...but their music that I've listened to is great. It's like Led Zep with a dash of Cat Stevens here and there, and maybe a little Queen and David Bowie mixed in. Their lead singer, Ann Wilson, is...well, I don't know if she is the best singer ever, but her voice is very distinctive and you can tell she had dedication towards the craft. Her sister, Nancy Wilson, played some pretty classy lead guitar, like in their song "Magic Man." The other band members were guys, but to my understanding the Wilson sisters were/are the driving forces of the band.

But yes, I agree that the music industry is biased against girls...we're basically tagged with the "pop" label unless we deliberately set our minds to proving otherwise...and we're often seen as talentless "brainless beauties".

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, anyone? I haven't sampled their work, but I know they were a rock 'n' roll style band, and Joan Jett is to my understanding a genuinely skilled guitarist.
cactus.
cactus.
May 5th, 2008 at 12:02pm
Some of the best bass players I know of are women.
happyplayer
Banned
happyplayer
May 6th, 2008 at 10:56pm
Well I just know little about them.
*muffin_girl*
Jackass
*muffin_girl*
June 11th, 2008 at 07:37am
I think the problem with girls in bands is they really arnt taken seriously like some people have said before people immeadiatly assume that were somehow less into it for the music and more into it for the fame or money or whatever, and yeah with girl drummers especially its like being a girl= butt of alot of jokes, being a drummer= butt of most musical jokes... so for me being a blonde female drummer its like no body takes me seriously as a musician. but its like everyone wants a male drummer no matter what so they can go for the steryotypical look of all men of a certain age irrespective of talent and passion.
Mareh
King For A Couple Of Days
Mareh

Blog
June 12th, 2008 at 09:18am
Guitar Hero 2 had a pretty awesome girl band....can't remember their name, the song was FTK though.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
June 14th, 2008 at 08:47pm
well maybe not in modern mainstream rock but there where tons in the early 90s riot grrl movement, you just have to look Retard
Joshontheguitar
Geek
Joshontheguitar
June 30th, 2008 at 11:24am
girl screamers are worlds better than guys

check out iwrestledabearonce

but i dont like chick singers
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
June 30th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Wheee, my current favourite band is 3/7 female.

I think I've found out why I don't like female vocalists.
The typical "female vocalist" has that traditional way of singing. I can't really explain it, but they all sort of try to sing in the same way, and to me, personally, it sounds like they're sort of... trying too hard? I've never really hard much appreciation for it. The same goes for many, many male singers as well. I tend to just like singers that go a little outside the box. The typical "female vocalist" vocals I just don't really like, and it's dominant in female singers. I've found tons of singers that don't do that, and I like them. So. Smile

I still don't get why there seems to be 20 female bassists for every 1 female guitarist.
Register