Anyone notice something about girls in bands?

AuthorMessage
Dom
Jackass
Dom
May 18th, 2007 at 07:51am
Skatanic.:
To be honest, I don't know any girls who love rock music enough to really really want it.
To be in a band, to learn their instrument really well. They definitely exist, I myself being one, but they're a lot less common than guys. By nature, most girls just don't seem to be into it. Call it generalizing, but it's my own gender, and it really is way it is.
As for singing... I just don't like female vocals. :x I'm all for girls in bands, but... not on vocals. For some reason, no matter the genre, they manage to make the music sound pop-y, in my opinion. Which I'm not too fond of. D:

i like kim deal's vocals
MiaThisIsUrgent.
Geek
MiaThisIsUrgent.

Blog
June 11th, 2007 at 09:20am
The distillerrrsss
brody dalle D:
she's an awesome singerrr
High Fidelity
Falling In Love With The Board
High Fidelity
June 13th, 2007 at 03:29pm
Skatanic.:
To be honest, I don't know any girls who love rock music enough to really really want it.
WTF. Cheese
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
June 13th, 2007 at 06:46pm
Color Me Impressed:
Skatanic.:
WTF. Cheese

It's true. D: I'm the only female guitarist I know who actually really wants to play, and wants to get good. I know a bunch of girls who play guitar, but they really couldn't care less, and they're definitely not interested in being serious enough to be in a band or anything.
On the other hand, it seems every guy I know is a guitarist in a band. Rolling Eyes
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 02:20am
Hey1 I want to be good! I begged my parents for lessons and I sit there and practice tuning my guitar.

And I still hate chords, but I'm getting better. And playing music is the only thing I want to do with my life.
Ashtray Heart
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Ashtray Heart

Blog
June 16th, 2007 at 12:55pm
i'm a girl in a band of boys. i play bass. we're a mint band as well. i reckon we could so be famous....me and josh (drummer) have been talking about how he's gonna escape the fan girls lol
Ashtray Heart
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Ashtray Heart

Blog
June 16th, 2007 at 01:00pm
Skatanic.:
To be in a band, to learn their instrument really well. They definitely exist, I myself being one, but they're a lot less common than guys. By nature, most girls just don't seem to be into it. Call it generalizing, but it's my own gender, and it really is way it is.
As for singing... I just don't like female vocals. :x I'm all for girls in bands, but... not on vocals. For some reason, no matter the genre, they manage to make the music sound pop-y, in my opinion. Which I'm not too fond of. D:

I really agree. all my mates are like oh i wanna be in a band and be famous....but then they don't pick up an instrument and just sit there bitching.
Whereas I and my male band mates are always practicing....(or sitting at a computer playing GRAW2 and talking on TeamSpeak lol)
And female vocals, as much as i hate to say this, sound very alike to that of pop music. its not our fault, but we biologically can't create raspy vocals like men. But its only sometimes bad to have female vocals. Lacuna Coil for example prevent their music from sounding pop by having a contrasting male voice against Cristina's female voice. It works.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:26am
I hope you realize there's no such thing as a poppy voice. Its the melody, the instrumentals, the lyrics. All of that has to be taken into account.

For example, Amy Lynn Lee. Her voice would be perfect for R&B. She would be the freaking queen of R&B. Not Hip-hop. Rythym&Blues. Jazz. She would own that genre.

But her lyrics, her melodies, and the band's instrumentals are all rock. Its not just the voice, its how you use it.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
June 24th, 2007 at 03:36pm
Skatanic.:
Color Me Impressed:
Skatanic.:
WTF. Cheese

It's true. D: I'm the only female guitarist I know who actually really wants to play, and wants to get good. I know a bunch of girls who play guitar, but they really couldn't care less, and they're definitely not interested in being serious enough to be in a band or anything.
On the other hand, it seems every guy I know is a guitarist in a band. Rolling Eyes

As a girl who truly wants to play in a band (and does), I don't think you can say that NO girls really love it enough to do it. But there aren't too many of us. And I have to say, if a girl's going to front a rock band, she has to have a specific kind of voice for it to work. Some women can do it, some can't. I know I couldn't be a frontwoman even if I wanted to. Dno
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 24th, 2007 at 04:27pm
it really bugs me when people say that.

If you wanted to, you could. If you wanted it bad enough, you could be the frontwoman. You could be the whole damn band if you wanted it.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
June 26th, 2007 at 08:06pm
Janie Jones:
Skatanic.:
Color Me Impressed:
Skatanic.:
WTF. Cheese

As a girl who truly wants to play in a band (and does), I don't think you can say that NO girls really love it enough to do it. But there aren't too many of us. And I have to say, if a girl's going to front a rock band, she has to have a specific kind of voice for it to work. Some women can do it, some can't. I know I couldn't be a frontwoman even if I wanted to. Dno

I agree, that's why I didn't say that. o.o
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
June 27th, 2007 at 09:43pm
lyrical_mess:
it really bugs me when people say that.

If you wanted to, you could. If you wanted it bad enough, you could be the frontwoman. You could be the whole damn band if you wanted it.

In theory, yeah. But you have to agree that some people work better as frontmen/women than others. It's just a matter of personality.
I like being the lead guitarist. That's my role in my band, and I wouldn't feel comfortable at all being the singer.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 28th, 2007 at 01:45pm
Exactly. The only reason a woman would be unable to front a band is if she didn't want to, if she wasn't into it.

You like being lead guitarist. That's your place. It doesn't matter if you're a male or a female. You find your place in the band. You gravitate to your part of the stage. You could be whatever part of the band you like, because you know that's what you're good at what and what you want to do.
Franny.
Franny.
June 29th, 2007 at 01:54pm
lyrical_mess:
Exactly. The only reason a woman would be unable to front a band is if she didn't want to, if she wasn't into it.

You like being lead guitarist. That's your place. It doesn't matter if you're a male or a female. You find your place in the band. You gravitate to your part of the stage. You could be whatever part of the band you like, because you know that's what you're good at what and what you want to do.

being whatever part of a band and being good at that position are two different things. there has to be equal amounts of passion and talent involved. it doesn't matter if one were male or female, but judging by the bands in the music industry, males dominate. maybe females don't have enough passion or talent, but it's really an endless discussion of opinions. it just can't be pinpointed to females not wanting it enough.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
June 29th, 2007 at 06:54pm
lyrical_mess:

Right, that's sort of what I'm saying. If I was a guy I'd probably still want to be the guitarist. What I was saying before is just that certain people, male or female, make better lead singers than others, not based necessarily on gender but on how well their singing fits with the band's music and so forth.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 12:46pm
Exactly. What really is annoying is when people want their band to sound a certain way instead of just letting the sound come. And vocals aren't the only part of the song, so there really isn't much scope for arguing that female vocals always make the song sound poppy.
girlwiththeLesPaul
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
girlwiththeLesPaul
August 30th, 2007 at 04:44am
I can play guitar pretty good. Im in a band and sing. i don't really wanna sing. truth is i don't really like girl singers. well sum i do. I just wish we had a guy singer. idk i just like 'guy singer' bands more. but if u tell me i suck... i could honestly care less, bcuz i love to play and I know I have some talent.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
August 30th, 2007 at 04:48am
girlwiththeLesPaul:
i could couldn't honestly care less, bcuz i love to play and I know I have some talent.
KayWay
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
KayWay
September 2nd, 2007 at 11:03pm
i personally feel as there aren't really many 'successful' female bands, it kind of makes girls feel like if they do try and make it big in a band, theyre just not going to.
then again, every now and then you get a band like Paramore and girls left right and centre and wanting to be in a band.... i just reckon its more male dominated. I mean, you don't excatly see girls in Kerrang! or any other music magazine much do you?
Greenzzz
Greenzzz
September 5th, 2007 at 10:55am
there are lots of girls in succesfull bands. but i think it depends on what kind of scene your into... there are 2 girls in my band. Cool I'm the guitarist and the other girl is the singer
Register