H1N1 Flu

AuthorMessage
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
October 20th, 2009 at 09:58pm
I'm going to get the immunization for the H1N1 soon.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
October 21st, 2009 at 01:08am
Supposedly my friend's mom and sister had it and she was taking care of both of them when they were sick. I hope she doesn't get sick. :/
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 21st, 2009 at 03:36am
The dire effects on children are death.
Swine flu does have a greater impact then normal Christmas flu. It has a huge effect on low immune systems which would be babies, and people with an underlying illness.
In the US alone 86 children have died of swine flu. Thats major compared to the death of Christmas flu.
People with AIDS themselves are at a huge risk. They don't have what it takes to fight it off.
If you're strong and healthy, you'll fight it just grand with the help of God, if you don't have what it takes to fight it, you're knackered.

There's such a hype made about it because it came with a bang. People weren't prepared.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 21st, 2009 at 03:34pm
Eireann Go Bragh:
It has a huge effect on low immune systems which would be babies, and people with an underlying illness.
In the US alone 86 children have died of swine flu. Thats major compared to the death of Christmas flu.

So that's different from normal flu how? I don't see a difference...
And how do you know it's major? Do you have data from each year calculating an average of how many children die from seasonal flu versus how many have died from swine flu? Or is this just a generalisation?

Eireann Go Bragh:
There's such a hype made about it because it came with a bang. People weren't prepared.

But people have been preparing for a flu pandemic for years. We're long overdue a pandemic and there were enough precursors with SARS and Bird Flu for people to get used to the idea.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 22nd, 2009 at 03:46pm
:S ... The difference is what's been plastered across news headlines, the difference is the explanation for the deaths...
It's a mutation.
Any mutation is a disaster because you're not ready for it.

And how do I know that the death rate is higher? I watch the news, read the news and research it.
If you're from America you have a better chance of getting the statistics. I can't link you right now I'm in college, so just look through some news sites and you should find the numbers.
From what I remember Christmas flu is somewhere between 40-46 and swine flu is 80-86.

You can spend 2 decades preparing for a flu pandemic. You can have circled on your calander that there's one due on a particular day, but unless you know what that next mutation is going to be, it's no good.
Unless you know the mutation, you can't have a steady vaccine ready against it.
Now, when we acquire the knowledge to see into the future or when we get the technology that tells us what the next mutation will be, we can start preparing for it.
It's like the saying goes, people are afraid of what they don't understand.
Happened with aids, happens with flu.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 22nd, 2009 at 06:24pm
No, I'm not from America. But if only 40 people die a year from seasonal flu, then hey, I'd love to live in America, that sounds amazing. In Britain, where I come from, it's well into the thousands. And our population is of course much smaller.

But the flu virus mutates all the time. Viruses mutate, it's what they do, it doesn't always cause a 'disaster; H5N1 was a mutation, but I wouldn't call that a 'disaster'. And last time I checked, the vaccine for H1N1 has been developed already.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
October 22nd, 2009 at 11:44pm
SwineFluIsNothing.

I wish people would drop it already Rolling Eyes
It's so annyoing, someone needs to drop a bomb or something..
Something new to cry and complain about that's actually worthy of it.
Jesse Lacey
Post Whore
Jesse Lacey

Mibba Blog
October 24th, 2009 at 01:10pm
I caught the swine flu.
It was the worst sickness I've ever had.
But I'm better now.

The worst part about it is how dizzy you get.
I could not stand up at all.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
October 24th, 2009 at 03:51pm
Bloodraine:
But the flu virus mutates all the time. Viruses mutate, it's what they do, it doesn't always cause a 'disaster; H5N1 was a mutation, but I wouldn't call that a 'disaster'. And last time I checked, the vaccine for H1N1 has been developed already.

The vaccine is going to start being administered next week, according my doctor at least.

And since ones posted this yet:
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 24th, 2009 at 03:54pm
vaccine wasnt ready all along. cant make a truely effective vaccine without knowing what your fighting.
if it was already made, they would have given it out as soon as people started dying.
but yet again, because its not out there, another 14 year old has died in ireland.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
October 24th, 2009 at 04:35pm
Eireann Go Bragh:
but yet again, because its not out there, another 14 year old has died in ireland.

This 14 year old had an underlying medical condition, it wasn't just the swine flu that did it. If you listen to any of the reports of people dying from swine, you will always hear them mention an underlying medical condition. Because just like regular flu, swine flu is only deathly to people who are already sick.
This boy could have just as easily died of regular flu, and if he had it wouldn't have gotten any media attention at all.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 24th, 2009 at 05:30pm
Im well aware of that , thank you very much.
I stated already in previous posts it has a greater affect due to underlying problems.
That is beside the entire point.
What matter is that it's another death. That is the vital point.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
October 24th, 2009 at 06:38pm
Eireann Go Bragh:
I stated already in previous posts it has a greater affect due to underlying problems.

And I fail to understand why you bring up this point.
People die all the time from all sorts of things. What makes this death so much more significant than the other 250,000-300,000 deaths that occur everyday?
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 25th, 2009 at 10:37am
Incubus:
Eireann Go Bragh:

And I fail to understand why you bring up this point.
People die all the time from all sorts of things. What makes this death so much more significant than the other 250,000-300,000 deaths that occur everyday?

If you fail to understand the point then you shouldn't have butted in to the conversation.

Where did I say this death was more significant? Nowhere.

All of the deaths turn to the point of the vaccine.
We were discussing the vaccine.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 25th, 2009 at 10:48am
This isn't a closed discussion. Anyone is allowed to contribute, it isn't 'butting in'.

Eireann Go Bragh:

If s/he had an underlying health condition, as Incubus said, seasonal flu could have acted in the same way.
And if it had, you wouldn't care, or wouldn't have heard about it to mention it in the first place. 'Another death' isn't so vital when neither you or anybody else would show the slightest concern if this happened in any other year.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 25th, 2009 at 10:57am
Bloodraine:
This isn't a closed discussion. Anyone is allowed to contribute, it isn't 'butting in'.

Eireann Go Bragh:

If s/he had an underlying health condition, as Incubus said, seasonal flu could have acted in the same way.
And if it had, you wouldn't care, or wouldn't have heard about it to mention it in the first place. 'Another death' isn't so vital when neither you or anybody else would show the slightest concern if this happened in any other year.

I didn't say it was a closed discussion, did I? I meant she could have asked in more detail what I meant. That's gets things sorted quicker.

Any death to a child in my books, is vital, whether it be Christmas flu killed them, Swine flu, or a sneeze, I still think it is vital. So yes, contrary to what you believe, I would have cared and I would have been concerned.

Which is why I always wonder why some parents, who themselves have underlying conditions, or whose children have underlying conditions, don't get the right shots for it.
And no, before anyone tries to say how do I know they didn't get the shots, I don't know. I'm wondering why some parents don't get those shots.
occultculture
Banned
occultculture

Blog
October 25th, 2009 at 11:01am
IKnowTheEnemy:
Tons of people are getting it. and my mom wants me to get vaccinated. is it worth it?

You know, I'm not sure.
I had it, I had it awfully.
Got it from sleeping in the same bed as a gay friend of mine who had it while we were in a hotel.

Realized that I had gotten it worse off when I got home and threw up blood everywhere.

They stuck a probe up my butt and said "You have H1N1"
Then I stayed in the hospital for a week.

Go get vaccinated. Very Happy
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 25th, 2009 at 11:03am
^^
Lol OK you made me laugh with the probe bit
I don't think people realize how serious it is until you actually get it.
I had christmas flu last weekend and I was fit for a coffin. It was so awful.
I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like if I caught swine flu. But of course,
the jerks in the medical center won't release the vaccine and they won't give it to me anyway -__-
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 25th, 2009 at 11:04am
Eireann Go Bragh:
Any death to a child in my books, is vital, whether it be Christmas flu killed them, Swine flu, or a sneeze, I still think it is vital. So yes, contrary to what you believe, I would have cared and I would have been concerned.

But why?
Not everyone has the same chance at life. Children or otherwise. Some children are born severely disabled or with a hereditary condition and have a very limited life expectancy. It's sad but I don't see why you think it's 'vital'. Sometimes there is nothing to be done.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 25th, 2009 at 11:07am
Because I work with children.
It's almost a flaw, if you'll call it that. They are everything to me. I go to hell and back to keep the kids I work with safe. I can't help it.

There just kids. They have so much to achieve.
Even if it's a disability they have, I've never let a disability hold any child back.
I had a special needs assistant when I was school, because I have a learning difficulty, and I never let that keep me back.
I'm considered as one of the people at risk of death from swine flu because my immune system is like tissue paper.
I can't help but be protective of youth.
Register