Do you believe...reincarnation

AuthorMessage
frizzle
Geek
frizzle
August 2nd, 2006 at 07:23am
I don't know, i want to believe in it, but i don't..
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
August 2nd, 2006 at 07:49am
frizzle:
i want to believe in it, but i don't..

Technically, is that even possible? xD
frizzle
Geek
frizzle
August 2nd, 2006 at 07:49am
I think so, haha Laughing
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 2nd, 2006 at 01:49pm
Lucifers Angel:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Red Flag:
who here thinks that reancarnaiton i cant even spell it makes no sense

Puntuation makes sense....

it makes perfect sense, you die and your soul goes into somthing else, allbeit anouther person, animal. Makes sense to me

That would require you to believe that souls exist.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
August 2nd, 2006 at 02:24pm
~thought~less~:
Magne:
i believe in reincarnation

so do i... and i dunno why but i believe that ppl after death reincarnate only into ppl not into animals or inanimate things...

My mother hopes to be reincarnated as a tree. Makes sense to me.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
August 6th, 2006 at 09:49pm
dirtyhippie:
~thought~less~:
Magne:
i believe in reincarnation

so do i... and i dunno why but i believe that ppl after death reincarnate only into ppl not into animals or inanimate things...

My mother hopes to be reincarnated as a tree. Makes sense to me.

Sounds like fun! Very Happy
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
August 7th, 2006 at 04:55am
Kurtni:
Lucifers Angel:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Red Flag:
who here thinks that reancarnaiton i cant even spell it makes no sense

Puntuation makes sense....

it makes perfect sense, you die and your soul goes into somthing else, allbeit anouther person, animal. Makes sense to me

That would require you to believe that souls exist.

and i do. Your soul makes you what you are.

Does the Soul Exist?

Does the soul exist? Is there any evidence to support this? In this article I'll show you one argument that I think supports the existence of a soul. Before going on, I’d like to establish the law of cause-and-effect. There is a metaphysical precept called ex nihilo nihil fit (which is Latin for “from nothing, nothing is produced”). This reasoning demands that, for any event that begins to exist, something must have caused it. This is because the idea of nothing producing such an event is ontologically impossible (from nothing, nothing is produced). Both scientists and laymen have observed the phenomenon of cause-and-effect. It rains because the clouds above are saturated with water, waves are formed because of the wind, cars move because the engine causes it to move, and so forth.

Suppose a dark, gray cloud shoots out lightning that strikes down a heavy tree, which in turn falls down on Bob’s favorite car. Can Bob rightfully blame the tree for the destruction of his car? No, the tree didn’t have a choice in the matter. Its fall was simply caused by the lightning, which was caused static electricity, which resulted from the clouds, which came about by weather patterns etc. Unlike the tree, we humans have a special ability that can cause us to be responsible for our actions. Rather than being pipelines for chains of natural causation that go back before our birth, we can initiate our own causal chains. This ability is commonly called free will.

Free will is about voluntary choice, being able to choose one’s own actions, and thus the freedom to make choices that are not determined by prior causes. (For if our actions were forced on us by prior causes outside our control, we would not have free will.)

But do we really possess free will? Are we really capable of choosing our own actions? Experiment for yourself. To see if you have free will, intentionally do something, anything at all. For instance, try to move your arm. Can you do it? I think I can. And the evidence (direct perceptions) would seem to indicate that we do indeed have free will.

As we’ll see later on, the existence of free will is the foundation of the upcoming argument for the existence of the soul. But there are some people who believe the existence of free will is only an illusion, and instead our actions are determined by prior causes. Thus we have no choice in whatever we do. A rebuttal to this would be that we should trust our direct perceptions (just as we generally trust sense experience) unless we have good reason to believe otherwise, and that there is no sufficiently good reason to believe otherwise. But, like the existence of free will, even this is a point that can be disputed. So, is it the case that free will exists?

Before continuing, let's look at some terminology.

materialism: the belief that the physical world is the only reality. Thus, things if incorporeal substance (such as the soul) do not exist.
physicalism: the belief that we have physical bodies but no nonphysical minds or souls.
Technically, one can believe in physicalism but not materialism. For instance, it is logically possible for one to believe in an incorporeal God, but purely physical humans. Nonetheless, many physicalists are also materialists.
determinism: the belief that all effects (including our actions) are the necessary result of prior causes.
metaphysical freedom: the belief that we can choose among genuine alternatives (what many think of when they read the term “free will”).
libertarianism: belief that we have metaphysical freedom, and thus rejects determinism. Libertarianism comes in two forms: agency theory and indeterminism.
indeterminism: sometimes called simple indeterminism, this theory defines free will as “an effect without a cause” and that we have such free will.
One criticism of this belief is that it seems to violate ex nihilo nihil fit.
agency theory: the belief that free will is an act of agent-causation, whereby an agent (person, self) causes an event to happen.
Agency theory should not be confused with simple indeterminism. In agency theory, an act of free will is not a random, uncaused event. Rather, we (agents) cause things and create new causal chains. As you might have guessed, the type of metaphysical view of free will being discussed here is agency theory. But is the essence of an agent nonphysical (as the soul) or purely physical? Read on.

In the following argument, free will the foundational piece of evidence that supports the existence of the soul (the immaterial basis of oneself). Recall that free will involves the freedom to make choices that are not determined by prior causes. Therefore, free will is itself a cause and not an effect in its interactions with corporeality. So if free will is to exist, its basis must be incorporeal (once the corporeal is excluded, the incorporeal is the only remaining logical possibility). Since it is the self that causes the actions (i.e. is the basis of the free will), and if the basis of free will is necessarily incorporeal, then the basis of the self is incorporeal. Since the incorporeal essence of the self is called the soul, then if free will exists the soul must exist also. Free will obviously exists, therefore the soul does also.

Confused? Okay, let’s take it one step at a time:

Free will exists (follows from direct perceptions).
The soul is the incorporeal essence of oneself (by definition).
Free will is about voluntary choice, being able to choose one’s own actions; the freedom to make choices that are not determined by prior causes. (By definition.)
Therefore, free will is itself a cause and not an effect in its interactions with corporeality (follows from 3, see also further justification below).
So if free will exists, its basis must be incorporeal. (Follows from 4. If free will exists it has to have some kind of existence; and from 4 free will is not an effect in its interactions with corporeality, the basis of free will cannot be corporeal, the only alternative left is the incorporeal; see also further justification below.)
The self chooses one’s own actions (part of the definition of free will, i.e. from line 3), and is thus the basis of free will.
The basis of the self must be incorporeal if free will exists, since the basis of free will must be incorporeal, and the basis of free will is the self (from 2, 5 and 6).
Conclusion: The soul exists because free will exists (from 1 and 7).

Some quick terminology: an argument being valid just means that, if premises are true, then the conclusion must be true also. A sound argument is both valid and has all true premises. There are two ways the above argument can be unsound. One is that the argument is invalid (not valid), i.e. the conclusion does not logically follow somewhere along the way. In that case, the question would be, “which line of the argument does not logically follow from the statement(s) it’s based upon?” The second way the argument can fail to be sound is if one of the premises is wrong. In that case, “which premise fails and why?”

A quick way to attack the argument is to deny the existence of free will. Thus, a person who disbelieves in the existence of free will could reject line 1. Though rational support for the first premise was given, one could still claim (rationally or irrationally?) that that those perceptions are illusory. But if free will does exist, does it logically follow that the soul must exist also? After all, if free will exists and if the argument is valid, then the soul would have to exist. So is the argument valid? To better answer this question, let’s more closely examine lines 4 and 5 of the argument.

Further Justification for Lines 4 and 5
Here’s the problem in a nutshell: in a purely physical world, our actions are solely the product of forces completely beyond our control, and thus we would not have free will. To better illustrate lines 4 and 5 of the argument, let’s look at the materialist’s view. The causal chain would be something like this:

Natural Processes
|
CAUSE
|
Inner Brain States
|
CAUSE
|
Mental and Physical Actions

Because of cause-and-effect however, this corporeal chain of causation would extend back well before we were born. Yet conditions before our birth are clearly outside of our control, so the chain of causation would look something like this:

Natural Processes Outside Our Control
|
CAUSE
|
Inner Brain States
|
CAUSE
|
Mental and Physical Actions

But if this is accurate, we would not be originating the cause of anything. We would be just like the tree that fell on Bob's car, being a conduit of natural forces outside our control. In this case, our actions would be determined by prior causes. We would not have free will. This is why free will by definition cannot be an effect in corporeality (hence line 4). To have free will we must exist outside this corporeal tapestry (hence line 5). If free will exists and its basis cannot be corporeal, the only logical alternative is the incorporeal realm. Since its basis must be incorporeal, we must logically have souls if we possess free will.

While the argument may seem sound, especially if free will exists, there are a few points that could be disputed. The argument could still be rejected if free will does not exist. Does human volition exist? Are the arguments for lines 4 and 5 sufficient rational grounds for accepting them as true?

-------------------------------------------------------------

i found that i dont know if it would be of any interest to any of you but i posted it anyway
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2006 at 11:35am
Wow. That arguement.... wow. I think it was a whole load of rubbish. Your "soul" has nothing to do with the actions you take. That would be your brain. I actually do believe in souls, but it isnt something you can define like that.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
August 9th, 2006 at 12:10am
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Wow. That arguement.... wow. I think it was a whole load of rubbish. Your "soul" has nothing to do with the actions you take. That would be your brain. I actually do believe in souls, but it isnt something you can define like that.

Agreed.
Be[lie]ve
Jackass
Be[lie]ve
August 9th, 2006 at 03:12am
I think that when you die you just re-live your life, start over and do everything again.
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
August 9th, 2006 at 03:24am
Sometimes I feel like Ive been reincarnated :/
But how do I know thats its "that" you know.
What gives signs that you are? Strange feelings like "Oh, I think Ive been skydiving but Im only 9 years old." Like 'Deja Vu? I dont even know what Deja Vu is; like feeling like something has happened before? or will happen?
I sometimes I feel like I belong to a different decade since I like alot of old things. Nowadays kids like cell phones and are always calling each other always listening to Ipods and CD players, watching these new crappy movies.
I impart like silent films, I dont like calling people when they ask me too, I buy cheap cellphones just for emergencies you know. Feel like you dont belong or something? I dunno, sometimes I feel that way. But I guess its just I feel interest in learning about old things I dunno. omgno
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
August 10th, 2006 at 03:22pm
im a strong believer. it just seems to make more sense than other theories to me. plus sometimes i feel like i can remember things taht never happened to me, like past lives or something. tis kinda freaky, specially wehn i remember enjoying eating grass
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
August 10th, 2006 at 03:48pm
K-La:
I think that when you die you just re-live your life, start over and do everything again.

i dont want to do everything all over again.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 10th, 2006 at 04:03pm
Lucifers Angel:
K-La:

i dont want to do everything all over again.

same here
i would love for that
gd'sDiana
Geek
gd'sDiana
October 28th, 2006 at 09:35pm
idk... if i reincarned (sp) it would care because i would not be able to say to anybody, to know.. i mean,.. who know i maybe reincarned now...
Old Greg
Old Greg
October 30th, 2006 at 03:06pm
It would be nice, but no i don't really believe it happens.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
October 30th, 2006 at 05:02pm
i think you sit in heaven or hell for about 5 years then get reincarnated. I also think that you carry on some of the personality and opinons of the person you where in your past life.
BillieStoleMyVirginity
Geek
BillieStoleMyVirginity

Mibba
December 10th, 2006 at 01:43am
yeah. i reckon when you die 1. your soul/spirit hangs around for a bit until it finds a new body or 2. if you died an untimely death or you arent finished on earth you will hand around until youre ready to move on, if your a restless spirit you haunt or possess things. the spirits i channell tell me these things. sometimes i channel animals and they tell me that they were humans in past lives
Forever~Fallen
Geek
Forever~Fallen
December 22nd, 2006 at 01:36am
BillieStoleMyVirginity:
yeah. i reckon when you die 1. your soul/spirit hangs around for a bit until it finds a new body

haha so you think ghosts just go out "body shopping"?

idk, I mean the whole reincarnation thing seems so weird, but there are times when I think it's possible that I've had a past life. like i'll have memories of places/things that never happened.

The weirdest thing happen to me once, we were in the car, in an area i've never been to when we stopped at a light (for what felt like forever) next to this old little house you could tell no one had been living there cause it was all broken and the grass was like 2 ft. high. there was one of those little fisher price slide things in the back yard. I became over whelmed and very scared like I had been there before and somthing bad happened there. I wanted to cry. I can't really describe it.
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
December 22nd, 2006 at 08:18am
i don't believe in it.
you just can't re live your life over and over again.

christianity says something else. Dno
Register