Advice For New Drummers?

AuthorMessage
well.durr__hXc™
King For A Couple Of Days
well.durr__hXc™
July 11th, 2005 at 06:12am
I love playing on the drums. I take out all my feelings in them. tre is my drummer idol! I go crazy! I'm really funny and outgoing. I think all drummers are funny and outgoing and want to have a good time.
Toastboy
Jackass
Toastboy
July 11th, 2005 at 09:42am
greendayscumbag:
Basketcase463:
well im defintately taking lessons (my dad is making me) lol, but im getting a lot of shit from my cuzin about being a girl drummer Confused

Dont take any shit, Girl drummers rule. i'm a girl drummer (although i'm always told i drum like a guy).

All i can say is practice, not to be perfect but to be awesome. most people say its best to practice for atleast 10 minutes everyday, but id recomend 20 just to keep upto date. Practice you're timing the most of all.

You should spend a full ten mintues playing basic fills and beats to work on you're timing. It will become repetative but believe me, it will help you in the long run, then spend the next 10 just beating the crap outta you're kit.

Set you're self goals it will help push you'rself and work harder.

Most of all have fun, enjoy it... don't start drumming thinking "oh god i have to learn drums and kick ass like Tre" that ain't gonna help you.
im a girl drummer too, and its cool to be a girl drummer!! even though i suck lol
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 11th, 2005 at 01:47pm
lol i suck ur probably better than me
O MY JEEZ ITS AFROMAN!!!
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
O MY JEEZ ITS AFROMAN!!!
July 11th, 2005 at 04:03pm
uh, i got a few lessons so far and the teacher said dont practice all that much until you get a metronome because hes had some kids he had to unteach because theve gotten into bad habits, and if youre practicing snare you should practice rudiments 50 times because...i dont remember but he says it works i it must because hes a pro and hes drummed with some really great drummers. hope this helps some! Very Happy
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 14th, 2005 at 11:16am
im getting my drum kit this week! lol sry im excited
greendayscumbag
Idiot
greendayscumbag
July 14th, 2005 at 09:18pm
My advice is:

DO NOT PLAY WITH A METRONOME!

you can use it for the first month or so but you could become reliant on it and may be unable to play without it, which ain't good if you're gigging, its hard enough to hear yourself under the guitars so it will be impossible to hear the ticking.

Just count out loud, you'll sound like a dumbass shouting out numbers but it will get drummed (excuse the punn) into you're head instead of tick tick tick.

i think metronomes put you off when they are drumming and make you lose place, so practice counting aloud at first and then into yourself, it will become common knowledge in time and allow to become more versatile with beats.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
July 15th, 2005 at 08:43am
1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a!!!!!!

Sorry, I just love doing that...hahahah.

Yeah lessons are paramount because drums are really hard. Ask in your local drum shop. I've got this guy and he's like really good at drums and he's really good at teaching and after 4 lessons I am halfway through my reading course...because I can already read music but you know. Still it's great.

But I'm pissed because I can't drum because of this damn dislocated knee! Well it's not dislocated at the moment but I'm in the aftermath stages.
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 16th, 2005 at 11:50am
there hard? i thought they were gonna be easy lol
greendaygirl1313
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
greendaygirl1313
July 18th, 2005 at 05:56pm
Ive been playing sience i was 4 now im 13. Now im in a band with a singer and a gutarist and myself as a drummer. we write our own music. so... just IM or PM me to get info.
Toastboy
Jackass
Toastboy
July 18th, 2005 at 06:14pm
Flaming Phalanges!:
1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a!!!!!!

Sorry, I just love doing that...hahahah.

Yeah lessons are paramount because drums are really hard. Ask in your local drum shop. I've got this guy and he's like really good at drums and he's really good at teaching and after 4 lessons I am halfway through my reading course...because I can already read music but you know. Still it's great.

yeah my teacher rox!!! and i luv doin that!! lol 1 e and d 2 e and d
Less Than Jack
Falling In Love With The Board
Less Than Jack
July 18th, 2005 at 07:44pm
Dont drop the stickS Retard
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
July 18th, 2005 at 07:54pm
greendayscumbag:
My advice is:

DO NOT PLAY WITH A METRONOME!

you can use it for the first month or so but you could become reliant on it and may be unable to play without it, which ain't good if you're gigging, its hard enough to hear yourself under the guitars so it will be impossible to hear the ticking.

Just count out loud, you'll sound like a dumbass shouting out numbers but it will get drummed (excuse the punn) into you're head instead of tick tick tick.

i think metronomes put you off when they are drumming and make you lose place, so practice counting aloud at first and then into yourself, it will become common knowledge in time and allow to become more versatile with beats.
Very true. Very Happy
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
July 18th, 2005 at 07:55pm
Minority27:
Laughing
Franny.
Franny.
July 18th, 2005 at 11:02pm
butt muffin:
Minority27:
Laughing

haha can't say that enough to my drummer lol. he doesnt do it purposely but he gets sweaty hands. but i cant always bug him bout it cuz i drop my pick a lot (as im the guitarist in the band). its all the sweaty hand/fingers fault.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
July 18th, 2005 at 11:05pm
dont play anything like me.
Avantidrummer
Geek
Avantidrummer
July 19th, 2005 at 05:28pm
Basketcase463:
there hard? i thought they were gonna be easy lol

Drumming is so diverse and complex that there are 'easy' bit and not so easy bits....there's always something to learn. You can be a competent drummer and think know your stuff, but there's always more waiting to be learnt. You don't become great at something straight away, you have to work at it....but if you love it, it becomes easy.
Even well known drummers will have things they find 'hard'

Lessons can definately help but playing with a band you get to develope your own style and ideas.
greendayscumbag
Idiot
greendayscumbag
July 19th, 2005 at 05:54pm
GreenDay420:
butt muffin:
Minority27:
Laughing

haha can't say that enough to my drummer lol. he doesnt do it purposely but he gets sweaty hands. but i cant always bug him bout it cuz i drop my pick a lot (as im the guitarist in the band). its all the sweaty hand/fingers fault.

sweaty hands are the worst when drumming, its completely unavoidable.
I don't drop my sticks i tend to fire them 5 feet across the room and whack people in the eye.

If you're gigging or practicing alot you should soak you're hands in salt water for about 20+ minutes before each show/practice. it makes your hands have a more rough texture, This causes friction between your hands and the sticks and helps you keep hold of them.

keep a towel handy and dry your hands between each song.

also change sticks halfway through the show/practice. dry sticks are easier to hold.
Avantidrummer
Geek
Avantidrummer
July 19th, 2005 at 06:26pm
greendayscumbag:
GreenDay420:
butt muffin:
Minority27:
Laughing

sweaty hands are the worst when drumming, its completely unavoidable.
I don't drop my sticks i tend to fire them 5 feet across the room and whack people in the eye.

If you're gigging or practicing alot you should soak you're hands in salt water for about 20+ minutes before each show/practice. it makes your hands have a more rough texture, This causes friction between your hands and the sticks and helps you keep hold of them.

keep a towel handy and dry your hands between each song.

also change sticks halfway through the show/practice. dry sticks are easier to hold.

good tips...I usually just wipe them on my clothes!
Avantidrummer
Geek
Avantidrummer
July 19th, 2005 at 06:39pm
Does anyone know System of a Downs song 'Mr Jack'? If so, can any of the drummers play the syncopated drum part at the beggining of the song?
greendayscumbag
Idiot
greendayscumbag
July 19th, 2005 at 08:20pm
Avantidrummer:
Does anyone know System of a Downs song 'Mr Jack'? If so, can any of the drummers play the syncopated drum part at the beggining of the song?

Is it tabs you're looking for?

If so, theres some here http://mxtabs.net/tab_versions.php?path=Drums,s,3204,System+Of+A+Down,Mr.+Jack,139579

I've only heard the song a few times so im not that firmiliar with it, but the tabs look pretty straight forward (if they're right that is). It would take a bit of practice though.
Register