Drinking age

AuthorMessage
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
January 8th, 2010 at 04:53pm
I guess the drinking age is 21 is because at 18 you're most likely still in High school trying to maybe apply to college and whatever, get you're life started, etc.
SO if alcohol is easy to obtain you might blow your ride :/
I dont know the real reason its 21 but its my best guess.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
January 9th, 2010 at 08:03am
You can drink at the age of 16 in your UK if you are EATING in a restaurant w/ someone who is 18.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
January 9th, 2010 at 04:38pm
I just don't get that.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
January 12th, 2010 at 03:31pm
Nada.:
I just don't get that.

"Some parents argue that giving an older child a small glass of wine or a beer with a family meal occasionally encourages a responsible attitude to drinking".
"Children can drink beer, cider or perry (pear cider) with a meal in a restaurant when they're 16, if it's bought for them by an adult".

source
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 14th, 2010 at 05:24pm
I mean I don't get it,
As in I think it's wrong.
madddie
Banned
madddie
January 14th, 2010 at 05:44pm
I think its fine, if you're with your parents!
I've been drinking for years, I use my fake ID if needed, but don't get asked for it much.
I don't feel that alcohol is such a biggy here. It doesn't affect your life MAJORLY, its not like heroin Dno
madddie
Banned
madddie
January 14th, 2010 at 05:44pm
I've been drinking for years, I use my fake ID if needed, but don't get asked for it much.
I don't feel that alcohol is such a biggy here. It doesn't affect your life MAJORLY, its not like heroin Dno
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 14th, 2010 at 06:07pm
madddie:

more deaths are caused by alcohol than heroin, actually.
madddie
Banned
madddie
January 14th, 2010 at 06:20pm
Matt Smith:

But that is because alcohol is more commonly used than heroin, if it was on a percentage of users deaths I think heroin would win.

I don't feel that in the drinking age makes much difference to when people are drinking, and 21 would be way too old, you're only young once Wink And most go to uni at 18 here and want to have a good time (and NO i'm not saying that you NEED alcohol to have a good time).
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 14th, 2010 at 09:16pm
madddie:
Matt Smith:

But that is because alcohol is more commonly used than heroin, if it was on a percentage of users deaths I think heroin would win.

I don't feel that in the drinking age makes much difference to when people are drinking, and 21 would be way too old, you're only young once Wink And most go to uni at 18 here and want to have a good time (and NO i'm not saying that you NEED alcohol to have a good time).

I agree, alot of people at the age of 18 and up are at living away from home, at school, and restricting university students from alcohol is kind of pointless imo. They're GOING to get at it and they will drink, I don't think theres any doubt about that, as anyone who's in university can probably attest to.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 15th, 2010 at 10:54am
madddie:
Matt Smith:

so? you said alcohol 'doesn't affect your life ~majorly' unlike heroin. that was a broad generalisation which is pretty flawed. alcoholics exist in the same way that heroin addicts do, both have a major life-altering addiction to a poisinous substance. that's just the way it is.

by all means be in favour of a reduced drinking age. i am. but there's no point pretending alcohol isn't dangerous and doesn't fuck you up just as much as any other drug, because it clearly does.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 15th, 2010 at 04:31pm
Where's Scary Karry when you need her....hmhm.
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
January 16th, 2010 at 07:24am
Heh, beer and other beverages aren't supposed to be sold to people under 18 here in Latin America, but it's sold AND drank by people all ages.
Okay, not children, but I see people of tender ages drinking booze and I can only think 'the heck?'. This also was the reason Brazil was leading the ranking of car accident deaths, so the government implanted the Dry Law on the highways, meaning no drinking and driving ever, especially youngsters. It worked, somehow.
Ileana
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Ileana
January 20th, 2010 at 04:55am
I don't prefer alcohol. I know that little drink is some times good for health. but once you habituated then you can't leave it. so stay away from this.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 20th, 2010 at 06:56pm
There is a strong chance, that if I drank, just once, I could be an alcoholic,
Runs in he family.
Aliiiiii.
Aliiiiii.
January 26th, 2010 at 12:21pm
Nada.:
Runs in he family.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think so.

I've been warned a million times that because my Mum has big problems with alcohol, I will too.

Actually, it's put me off drinking. I drink occasionally, not even once a week. And when I do drink, I don't drink excessively except on a very rare extra-special occasion. Dno I know it's a common 'myth' or whatever but I don't think it's true.
wild at heart
Idiot
wild at heart

Blog
January 28th, 2010 at 08:06am
I agree with 21 years as the legal drinking age rather than 18.
I just wish people would actually respect it, at least where i live, no one asks for ID or anything. You can buy booze and cigarettes whether you're 12, 16 or 47. Except for the large supermarkets and malls no one cares.
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
January 31st, 2010 at 08:22am
You know, the idea of legal drinking age was kinda doomed from its beginning, since there was no actual way to keep an eye on the people who buy beverages. Resellers don't actually care about the age of the customer, as long as they pay for what they're buying.
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
January 31st, 2010 at 11:38am
I could have alcohol problems because of my brother, but I'm not going to test it, because I know better. My parents drink martinis, beer, and wine. I think I'm going to be a wine drinker. I love wine. The drinking age here is 21 and I think it's great because I see teenagers drinking all over my town and I wonder if they lowered the drinking age if those teenagers would be dead by now from drinking too much alcohol.
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
January 31st, 2010 at 01:20pm
Aliiiiii.:
Nada.:
Runs in he family.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think so.

I've been warned a million times that because my Mum has big problems with alcohol, I will too.

Actually, it's put me off drinking. I drink occasionally, not even once a week. And when I do drink, I don't drink excessively except on a very rare extra-special occasion. Dno I know it's a common 'myth' or whatever but I don't think it's true.
Nah, actually, addiction in the family is the biggest factor. *psychology student lulz*
I doubt that if they drank once, they would immediately become addicted, but yeah.
Good for you for being special, but it's not what happens to everyone.
Register