Is today's world getting too violent?

AuthorMessage
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
July 18th, 2006 at 06:11am
Rockaholic380:
No, it's not safe now, it never was safe, and it never will be. No matter what, there will be nutcases out there just waiting to start a scene of violence. It's just like people wanting world peace. There never was world peace, isn't now, and there never will be, Damnit!

a few years ago my mum could go out and leave her door unlocked and know that the hosue will be safe, i used to be able to do it when i got my first house, but now we have to lock our doors, windows, bikes up, garages up, the list is endless, so it was safe at some point, and also i could go out and walk around the streets all day and come home in time for dinner and my mum knew i was safe.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
July 18th, 2006 at 06:27am
Magne:
Rockaholic380:
No, it's not safe now, it never was safe, and it never will be. No matter what, there will be nutcases out there just waiting to start a scene of violence. It's just like people wanting world peace. There never was world peace, isn't now, and there never will be, Damnit!

a few years ago my mum could go out and leave her door unlocked and know that the hosue will be safe, i used to be able to do it when i got my first house, but now we have to lock our doors, windows, bikes up, garages up, the list is endless, so it was safe at some point, and also i could go out and walk around the streets all day and come home in time for dinner and my mum knew i was safe.

Yeah my mums always telling me stories about how when she was my age she and her friends could hitch-hike into town with complete strangers at night with no fear, but now nobody in their right mind would do that, you'd be terrified of getting raped or worse.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 18th, 2006 at 06:35am
Incubus:
Magne:
Rockaholic380:

Yeah my mums always telling me stories about how when she was my age she and her friends could hitch-hike into town with complete strangers at night with no fear, but now nobody in their right mind would do that, you'd be terrified of getting raped or worse.

i used to be able to do it, and its a sad fact that now we cant, there will always be some fuck wit that will spoil everything.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 18th, 2006 at 02:48pm
But there was still crime, right?
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 18th, 2006 at 05:51pm
Rockaholic380:
But there was still crime, right?

yeah but NOT to the extent we get it now, your kids were generally safe walkingabout, and your house would be safe,
Addison Montgomery.
Falling In Love With The Board
Addison Montgomery.

Mibba Blog
July 19th, 2006 at 09:14am
No it isn't very safe at all.Where I live(West Midlands) people are contiously going missing,being stabbed,raped etc.It needs to STOP!One way or another,some one should do something about it.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 19th, 2006 at 05:46pm
Magne:
Rockaholic380:

interesting point
I think that now that we have all of these means of communication and media, it makes us appear less safe
I went to my friend's house last night, we were out from 7 to 4, nothing happened
I doubt that anything would happen if we did it every night for a month

it's just the world's perception of things that makes it less safe
and the things you fear (things that go bump in the night) live off of our fear, so being afraid actually makes it more real, there's a better chance of violence only because our fear is what persuades them to it
so in a sense you're right, but then again it's not all that natural
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 19th, 2006 at 05:47pm
Ella:
OMG Nick, you're making everyone look stupid. lmfao

Stop being so smart. Or don't. Cool
awww, thank you
SpiderPig
Idiot
SpiderPig
July 20th, 2006 at 06:41am
you know what the world is a violent place yeah but you can get your nice neighbourhoods. everyone sees the bad before they see the good maybe this is because they fear the bad i dont know. what i mean is if people open their eyes just a bit they will see that there is more good then evil sure the world is too violent too much bad stuff is happening but there have been so many occasions where things have happened to me or to people i know or even just things ive seen like just dropping their phone or money or falling or something on every occasion ive had someone come up behind me and say sorry you dropped your phone/money/key etc even though this happens alot im ALWAYS shocked when it happens because it always seams to be the ones who have been labelled as "bad" people such as people who dress with hoodys up or "scals" or just general violent looking people, youd expect people to rathe then pick it up and bring it to you to steal it. Also look in american when someone is murdered the whole county or whatever comes toegther to form some sort of tribuete to that person whether they knew that person or not we always feel for the ones we hear are hurt we never shrug it off doesnt that show that yes it is a bad place but there is so much love and caring in it as well?

I think the only reason we cant go out without locking the door etc is because of publicity the news make it out to be a bigger deal then it is i mean i live in tranmere its supposed to be really rough an ful of gangs i look about nothing has ever happened to anyone around here ve never seen a gang sure ive seen trouble makers i mean thats todays society but in all honosty i believe we probbaly could walk around all night for a long time without anything happening to us and i feel we all should do that maybe it would take away our fear i believe it can it did so for me
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 20th, 2006 at 07:16am
spill_no_sick:
Magne:
Rockaholic380:

interesting point
I think that now that we have all of these means of communication and media, it makes us appear less safe
I went to my friend's house last night, we were out from 7 to 4, nothing happened

and the things you fear (things that go bump in the night) live off of our fear, so being afraid actually makes it more real, there's a better chance of violence only because our fear is what persuades them to it

i think it is safe but like a lot of people we concentrate on the bad, also the media is always just speaking about the abd things in life and not the good, if they reported more good things then people will realise that there is good in the world.
SpiderPig
Idiot
SpiderPig
July 20th, 2006 at 07:19am
Magne:
spill_no_sick:
Magne:
Rockaholic380:

interesting point

i think it is safe but like a lot of people we concentrate on the bad, also the media is always just speaking about the abd things in life and not the good, if they reported more good things then people will realise that there is good in the world.

Clap
Kitti
Kitti
July 20th, 2006 at 08:56am
Magne:
True enough. But the motives for people who really do good things aren't anything that can be "positive media-driven," people either do good things because they see such bad things happen, or they do good things because good things make them happy, and make other people happy, and very very slowly change the world. Good people are a silent majority.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 20th, 2006 at 11:05am
Kitti:
Magne:
True enough. But the motives for people who really do good things aren't anything that can be "positive media-driven," people either do good things because they see such bad things happen, or they do good things because good things make them happy, and make other people happy, and very very slowly change the world. Good people are a silent majority.
people don't care about good things
when Katrina hit, more people cared about where the blame went than where the money went, why?
the media decided it for them

and now we're getting off topic, we have a media topic

but yeah, the media does distort our veiws on violence, good point
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 20th, 2006 at 01:21pm
spill_no_sick:
Kitti:
Magne:
people don't care about good things
when Katrina hit, more people cared about where the blame went than where the money went, why?
the media decided it for them

and now we're getting off topic, we have a media topic

but yeah, the media does distort our veiws on violence, good point

for example Lebanon has gone to war, and to me that should be fromt page news, but no.....the headlines were "Sven dumps Nancy for Toygirl" and the war was on page 12, get your priorities right reporters.
Ghostie.
Geek
Ghostie.

Blog
January 17th, 2007 at 10:00pm
Yes. The world has gotten violent, yet it hasnt. As someone said, it's extremely publisised. Every time someone is shot, it's on the news. So, it's gotten violent, yes. But one of the biggest things is that we have new things to kill people with. Guns, poisions we didnt used to have, and very creative violent minds. Of course, then there's always the fact that horror/suspense movies like Saw and stuff are giving people ideas. I mean, someone near where I live was killed just over summer. His killers picked him up at a bar when he was drunk, strangled him, and when he was still alive, cut off his head and limbs. Their reason? They saw in on a moive. And then, we've also got more motiviation. Such as people fighting on the internet and taking it to school, relationships that are taken way to seriously. It always depresses me to see how much society has changed and where it's going.
Opheliac_666
Geek
Opheliac_666
January 17th, 2007 at 11:24pm
No.
Every century has been violent. It's nothing new.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
January 18th, 2007 at 06:09am
Opheliac_666:
No.
Every century has been violent. It's nothing new.

I agree. Every century has been dangerous, it's just now, it's more unacceptable than it has been previously, and everything is more publicised.

It's become more of an outrage than it has been in previous centuries.
guitars_are_sexy
Geek
guitars_are_sexy
January 18th, 2007 at 05:00pm
i think that people are more violent
i leave near philly, so everyday there are a couple of murders on tv
most of the people were kids too.
if kids grow up around all this violence, its gonna affect them
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
January 18th, 2007 at 05:43pm
guitars_are_sexy:
i think that people are more violent
i leave near philly, so everyday there are a couple of murders on tv
most of the people were kids too.
if kids grow up around all this violence, its gonna affect them
then again, the mass murder of religions and races have been around all up until the late nineteenth century....at the earliest

the murder rate has gotten so low...

anyway, I think Americans are so fucking selfish
everyone buys these expensive security systems, locks all their doors, check the mail, won't use airports and won't shop at the Wal Mart in the "black" neighborhoods and are constantly frightened for their life and looking over their shoulders wherever they go

hey, assholes, quit worrying about yourselves, the suicide rate is MUCH higher than the homicide rate, so maybe if you would give a shit about some one else then we could change that

fuckheads
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:53am
of course not

wait, i'll be back, i just have to kick this guy's ass
Register