New Punk v's Old School Punk

AuthorMessage
Janie Jones
Falling In Love With The Board
Janie Jones
April 6th, 2007 at 03:31pm
Anji:
The 101er’s, The 4-Skins, 7 Seconds, 999, AC/DC, The Adicts, The Adjusters, The Adolescents, The Adverts, After Tomorrow, The Aggrolites, Eden Ahbez, Aisle 9, Laurel Aitken, Lilly Allen, Alternative TV, Anti-Flag, Area 7, The Aquabats!, Louis Armstrong, The Articles, Assfault Tommys, Johann Sebastian Bach, Bad Brains, Bad Manners, Bad Religion, The Beat (The English Beat), The Beatles, The Beatsteaks, Bedouin Soundclash, Ludwig van Beethoven, Big D and the Kids Table, Bikini Kill, Billy Idol, Bim Skala Bim, Georges Bizet, Black Flag, Black Sabbath, old Blink 182, Blitz, Blondie, The Bluebeats, Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Bodysnatchers, Bollocks, Bouncing Souls, David Bowie, Johannes Brahms, Bratmobile, The Briggs, Clifford Brown, Ray Brown, Buck-O-Nine, Jake Burns, Robert Burns, Bus Drivers, The Business, The Busters, Buzzcocks, Charlie Byrd, The Casualties, Catch 22, Ray Charles, Cheap Sex, Chelsea, Choking Victim, Frédéric Chopin, The Circle Jerks, The Clash, Closet Monster, Cockney Rejects, Cock Sparrer, Arcangelo Corelli, The Cramps, Crowned King, The Damned, Miles Davis, The Dead Boys, Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, Claude Debussy, Desmond Dekker, Descendents, Dillinger, Phyllis Dillon, Dizzee Rascal, D.O.A. (Dead On Arrival), Coxsone Dodd, Fats Domino, The Doors, The Dresden Dolls, Dr. Feelgood, Dropkick Murphys, Duke Ellington, Bob Dylan, Easy Big Fella, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Edna’s Goldfish, Eggs Over Easy, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, The Ethiopians, Exit 18, The Exploited, The Fall, Fishbone, Ella Fitzgerald, The Flatliners, Fleeba, Flogging Molly, Fortycentfix, The Friday Club, Gang of Four, G.B.H. (Grievous Bodily Harm), The Germs, George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, Genesis, Generation X, Stan Getz, João Gilberto, Dizzy Gillespie, Goldfinger, Green Day, The Hamsters, Coleman Hawkins, Joseph Haydn, George Friedrich Händel, The Heartbreakers, Fletcher Henderson, Dubose Heyward, The Higsons, Hi-Liter, The Hippos, Gustav Holst, HorrorPops, I Am the World Trade Center, The Inmates, Isaac Green and the Skalars, Jello Baifra and the Melvins, Jersey, Antônio Carlos Jobim Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Steve Jones, Scott Joplin, Joy Division, The Kids, Kilburn and the High Roads, King Prawn, King Tubby, The Kinks, The Know How, Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, Led Zeppelin, Leftöver Crack, Let’s Go Bowling, Franz Liszt, Long Beach Dub All Stars, Los Hooligans, Los Reaction, Mad Caddies, Madness, Gustav Mahler, Bob Marley, Maroon Town, Tommy McCook, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Felix Mendelssohn, Mephiskapheles, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Minor Threat, Minutemen, The Misfits, Mobtown, The Motives, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, The Mr. T Experience, MU330, Chris Murray, Mustard Plug, My Dad Vs. Yours, Fats Navarro, New York Dolls, Nirvana, old No Doubt, NoFX, The Nuns, Richard O’Brian, Operation Ivy, Out of Order, Pansy Division, Charlie Parker, Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Pianosaurus Rex, The Pietasters, Pink Floyd, The Pixies, The Planet Smashers, The Pogues, The Police, Police Line, The Porkers, The Possums, Pray For Rain, Prince Buster, Propagandhi, Public Image Ltd., Giacomo Puccini, Henry Purcell, Queen, The Queers, The Ramones, Rancid, Ray Gradys, Reagan Youth, Lou Reed, Reel Big Fish, Regatta 69, Rico Rodriguez, Roger Miret and the Disasters, Roots Manuva, Ruder Than You, The Ruins, The Rulers, The Ruts, Save Ferris, Alessandro Scarlatti, Domenico Scarlatti, Franz Schubert, Robert Schumann, The Scofflaws, Screeching Weasel, The Selecter, The Sewer Rats, Sex Pistols, Sham 69, Jean Sibelius, Frank Sinatra, Skankin’ Pickle, The Skatalites, Skavoovie and the Epitones, The Skoidats, Skrewdriver, The Slackers, The Slits, Social Distortion, Social Tonic, South Central Riot Squad, The Specials, Spring Heeled Jack, Stiff Little Fingers, Sonny Stitt, The Stooges, The Stranglers, Richard Strauss, Igor Stravinsky, Streetlight Manifesto, Joe Strummer, Subb, Subhumans, Sublime, Suburban Legends, Suicide Machines, Arthur Sullivan, The Swinging Cats, Symarip, Take One For the Team, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Georg Philipp Telemann, Television, Thelonious Monk, Tiger Army, The Toasters, Toots and the Maytals, Peter Tosh, T. Rex, Tricia and the Supersonics, Tsunami Bomb, The T.V., Two Dollars Short, Undertone, The Uptones, The Untouchables, Urban Dance Squad, The Vandals, Velvet Underground, Venice Shoreline Chris, The Vibrators, Sid Vicious and Friends, The Voidoids, Violent Femmes, Antonio Vivaldi, Richard Wagner, Rufus Wainwright, Westbound Train, What About Lori, Paul Whiteman, The Who, X-Ray Spex, Young Canadians, and Frank Zappa.

Now young folks, see that list up there, right. That's me music list. Subtract anything that ain't punk, and see how may new punk bands there are compared with old ones and you've got your answer.

that's a lot of music. Cool

oh and if I haven't stated it already...old school > new school.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 03:32pm
ELLIE.:
Punk was meant to be like, a movement, something new. So yeah, I think it was only ever punk the first time round.
That's just my opinion though.

But yeah, music-wise, old-school punk is the best.

The Clash Cassie
Yeah. The later explosions are merely waves of punk. And punk as a form of music is narrow. For example, the Dropkick Murphys I mentioned arent punk. They are a mix of Irish folk and punk and ska. I dont believe you can find a band that is pure punk. Maybe the Sex Pistols? Or 999? But all of those have something extra. To me The Clash is bigger than punk. To call them only punk is embarassing. They have mixed somany forms of music its unbelievable. And they have done it so well. Thats what I see in bands. That mixture of different styles. Are they old-school, second DIY wave or the 90s explosion, I dont really care.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
April 6th, 2007 at 03:37pm
You're right about the Clash, even on the first album they had reggae influences (Police and Thieves, etc) and just went crazy with different types of music from there. But they were a really important part of the original London punk scene, so they're always going to be grouped in with the others.
Rae.
Post Whore
Rae.
April 6th, 2007 at 03:39pm
Anji:
, Closet Monster, The Flatliners, Fortycentfix, The Planet Smashers, Propagandhi,

You're so rad, barely anyone seems like these bands, but they fucking own.The bassist of Fortycentfix was actually going to sell him his bass till my parents were pricks and wouldn't let me meet up with him and buy it.
Rae.
Post Whore
Rae.
April 6th, 2007 at 03:41pm
I'm a fan of both new punk and old school punk for various reasons
The Bears Are Coming
Basket Case
The Bears Are Coming
April 6th, 2007 at 05:23pm
ELLIE.:
Punk was meant to be like, a movement, something new. So yeah, I think it was only ever punk the first time round.
That's just my opinion though.

But yeah, music-wise, old-school punk is the best.

The Clash Cassie

I think so too

Anji:
The 101er’s, The 4-Skins, 7 Seconds, 999, AC/DC, The Adicts, The Adjusters, The Adolescents, The Adverts, After Tomorrow, The Aggrolites, Eden Ahbez, Aisle 9, Laurel Aitken, Lilly Allen, Alternative TV, Anti-Flag, Area 7, The Aquabats!, Louis Armstrong, The Articles, Assfault Tommys, Johann Sebastian Bach, Bad Brains, Bad Manners, Bad Religion, The Beat (The English Beat), The Beatles, The Beatsteaks, Bedouin Soundclash, Ludwig van Beethoven, Big D and the Kids Table, Bikini Kill, Billy Idol, Bim Skala Bim, Georges Bizet, Black Flag, Black Sabbath, old Blink 182, Blitz, Blondie, The Bluebeats, Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Bodysnatchers, Bollocks, Bouncing Souls, David Bowie, Johannes Brahms, Bratmobile, The Briggs, Clifford Brown, Ray Brown, Buck-O-Nine, Jake Burns, Robert Burns, Bus Drivers, The Business, The Busters, Buzzcocks, Charlie Byrd, The Casualties, Catch 22, Ray Charles, Cheap Sex, Chelsea, Choking Victim, Frédéric Chopin, The Circle Jerks, The Clash, Closet Monster, Cockney Rejects, Cock Sparrer, Arcangelo Corelli, The Cramps, Crowned King, The Damned, Miles Davis, The Dead Boys, Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, Claude Debussy, Desmond Dekker, Descendents, Dillinger, Phyllis Dillon, Dizzee Rascal, D.O.A. (Dead On Arrival), Coxsone Dodd, Fats Domino, The Doors, The Dresden Dolls, Dr. Feelgood, Dropkick Murphys, Duke Ellington, Bob Dylan, Easy Big Fella, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Edna’s Goldfish, Eggs Over Easy, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, The Ethiopians, Exit 18, The Exploited, The Fall, Fishbone, Ella Fitzgerald, The Flatliners, Fleeba, Flogging Molly, Fortycentfix, The Friday Club, Gang of Four, G.B.H. (Grievous Bodily Harm), The Germs, George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, Genesis, Generation X, Stan Getz, João Gilberto, Dizzy Gillespie, Goldfinger, Green Day, The Hamsters, Coleman Hawkins, Joseph Haydn, George Friedrich Händel, The Heartbreakers, Fletcher Henderson, Dubose Heyward, The Higsons, Hi-Liter, The Hippos, Gustav Holst, HorrorPops, I Am the World Trade Center, The Inmates, Isaac Green and the Skalars, Jello Baifra and the Melvins, Jersey, Antônio Carlos Jobim Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Steve Jones, Scott Joplin, Joy Division, The Kids, Kilburn and the High Roads, King Prawn, King Tubby, The Kinks, The Know How, Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, Led Zeppelin, Leftöver Crack, Let’s Go Bowling, Franz Liszt, Long Beach Dub All Stars, Los Hooligans, Los Reaction, Mad Caddies, Madness, Gustav Mahler, Bob Marley, Maroon Town, Tommy McCook, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Felix Mendelssohn, Mephiskapheles, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Minor Threat, Minutemen, The Misfits, Mobtown, The Motives, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, The Mr. T Experience, MU330, Chris Murray, Mustard Plug, My Dad Vs. Yours, Fats Navarro, New York Dolls, Nirvana, old No Doubt, NoFX, The Nuns, Richard O’Brian, Operation Ivy, Out of Order, Pansy Division, Charlie Parker, Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Pianosaurus Rex, The Pietasters, Pink Floyd, The Pixies, The Planet Smashers, The Pogues, The Police, Police Line, The Porkers, The Possums, Pray For Rain, Prince Buster, Propagandhi, Public Image Ltd., Giacomo Puccini, Henry Purcell, Queen, The Queers, The Ramones, Rancid, Ray Gradys, Reagan Youth, Lou Reed, Reel Big Fish, Regatta 69, Rico Rodriguez, Roger Miret and the Disasters, Roots Manuva, Ruder Than You, The Ruins, The Rulers, The Ruts, Save Ferris, Alessandro Scarlatti, Domenico Scarlatti, Franz Schubert, Robert Schumann, The Scofflaws, Screeching Weasel, The Selecter, The Sewer Rats, Sex Pistols, Sham 69, Jean Sibelius, Frank Sinatra, Skankin’ Pickle, The Skatalites, Skavoovie and the Epitones, The Skoidats, Skrewdriver, The Slackers, The Slits, Social Distortion, Social Tonic, South Central Riot Squad, The Specials, Spring Heeled Jack, Stiff Little Fingers, Sonny Stitt, The Stooges, The Stranglers, Richard Strauss, Igor Stravinsky, Streetlight Manifesto, Joe Strummer, Subb, Subhumans, Sublime, Suburban Legends, Suicide Machines, Arthur Sullivan, The Swinging Cats, Symarip, Take One For the Team, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Georg Philipp Telemann, Television, Thelonious Monk, Tiger Army, The Toasters, Toots and the Maytals, Peter Tosh, T. Rex, Tricia and the Supersonics, Tsunami Bomb, The T.V., Two Dollars Short, Undertone, The Uptones, The Untouchables, Urban Dance Squad, The Vandals, Velvet Underground, Venice Shoreline Chris, The Vibrators, Sid Vicious and Friends, The Voidoids, Violent Femmes, Antonio Vivaldi, Richard Wagner, Rufus Wainwright, Westbound Train, What About Lori, Paul Whiteman, The Who, X-Ray Spex, Young Canadians, and Frank Zappa.

Now young folks, see that list up there, right. That's me music list. Subtract anything that ain't punk, and see how may new punk bands there are compared with old ones and you've got your answer.
is that all? Laughing
Servatis A Maleficum
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Servatis A Maleficum

Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 06:33pm
New Punk...
Lol funniez.

Older punk, I don't listen to as much. I respect it, but it doesn't appeal to me as much as the newer lesser known bands out there.

HOWEVER.

Black Flag are absolutely orgasmic. Dead Kennedys too. I also do listen to the Pistols, but they do lack talent and I think most people can agree on that. It doesn't mean that they suck, it's just the style they play. Most punks, by definition, just play shit on their guitars.

And it depends what you define as old school. That could range anywhere from the Pistols to Black Flag to GBH to Bad Religion, even.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:52am
Tig:
Anji:
, Closet Monster, The Flatliners, Fortycentfix, The Planet Smashers, Propagandhi,

You're so rad, barely anyone seems like these bands, but they fucking own.The bassist of Fortycentfix was actually going to sell him his bass till my parents were pricks and wouldn't let me meet up with him and buy it.
Hahaha. I'm quite good friends with them. And the Flatliners. And I know someone who was good friends with the former tromboner of the Planet Smashers. Hehehe, tromboner. And I have a bunch of unreleased recordings because I asked nicely for them. I've met Matt quite frequently to, I ran into him quite a few times at Loeb while shopping. He's a real laugh.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:55am
Dr. Cuddy:
Anji:
The 101er’s...
You are such a show-off Wink
Apparently that's one of my most attractive qualities. But only because all my previous boyfriends needed something to show off.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 12:09pm
Janie Jones:
You're right about the Clash, even on the first album they had reggae influences (Police and Thieves, etc) and just went crazy with different types of music from there. But they were a really important part of the original London punk scene, so they're always going to be grouped in with the others.
The had to have reggae for Police and Thieves, being a cover of Junior Murvin, but they actually Clashed it up a lot. I think that's as less a reggae you can get from the original as possible. Of course, it's still good. Just really different.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
April 7th, 2007 at 12:32pm
Anji:
Janie Jones:
The had to have reggae for Police and Thieves, being a cover of Junior Murvin, but they actually Clashed it up a lot. I think that's as less a reggae you can get from the original as possible. Of course, it's still good. Just really different.

Yeah, I've heard the original, and they definitely did "Clash it up". But then on the US version of the first album they also had White Man in Hammersmith Palais, with that ska rhythm, and it was about a reggae show, and if I remember correctly they released some other covers of reggae songs as singles around then too, so all I meant was that they were influenced by it almost from the start, even before they really started to show it on London Calling.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 12:50pm
Janie Jones:
Anji:
Janie Jones:

Yeah, I've heard the original, and they definitely did "Clash it up". But then on the US version of the first album they also had White Man in Hammersmith Palais, with that ska rhythm, and it was about a reggae show, and if I remember correctly they released some other covers of reggae songs as singles around then too, so all I meant was that they were influenced by it almost from the start, even before they really started to show it on London Calling.
Oh yeah, I have the UK version of the first album, but I have the Essentials, so I never quite got around to finding out which album that song was actually from. True that's their most ska song off of their first year pretty much as The Clash. Yeah, the Rock Against Racism. They were always influenced by reggae and were mostly playing punk at the beginning because that's what was popular at the time, pub punk. And it's not just that in London Calling that they got more ska, they got more everything there on after. They were on more world tours and were incoporating different cultures in their style and their style was more varied. R&B, jazz, funk, pop, everything. And at that time, bands like the Selecter and the Specials and the Beat were coming out and that was the new sound for that time. It sounds like the Clash were only following trends, and they ewre, the different is that they stayed together for almost a decade and they actually followed through on those trends. For them, it was the music. They made mistakes but stuck together whereas the Pistols broke up within a year and the 2-Tone bands soon died out.

I don't know how I ended up like this, but here is one shit long list why the Clash own the majority of punk bands.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 8th, 2007 at 03:36pm
Anji:
Dr. Cuddy:
Anji:
The 101er’s...
You are such a show-off Wink
Apparently that's one of my most attractive qualities. But only because all my previous boyfriends needed something to show off.
I will check out some artists you have mentioned.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 8th, 2007 at 03:42pm
I love punk music, I really do. But I dislike thinking that I'm punk. Cause punks are so not tolerant. But yeah, the music has so many different styles, thats why I love it so much. And thats why The Clash is my no.1 band! I dislike popular new punk bands because I don't think that Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and etc, are punk. I know its not up to me to judge, but thats the main reason why some people think that punk these days doesn't exist. It does and its not only Anti-Flag Rolling Eyes You just have to look or talk to others and, like Anji, they will give you some recommendations.
wfougoafoihqfe
wfougoafoihqfe
April 8th, 2007 at 04:34pm
I'm one of those people who thinks punk is dead. But movement-wise.

I think the music is still alive Cool Depends where you look.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
April 8th, 2007 at 09:11pm
Dr. Cuddy:
I love punk music, I really do. But I dislike thinking that I'm punk. Cause punks are so not tolerant. But yeah, the music has so many different styles, thats why I love it so much. And thats why The Clash is my no.1 band! I dislike popular new punk bands because I don't think that Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and etc, are punk. I know its not up to me to judge, but thats the main reason why some people think that punk these days doesn't exist. It does and its not only Anti-Flag Rolling Eyes You just have to look or talk to others and, like Anji, they will give you some recommendations.

Well said. I'm kind of the same way, I listen to a lot of punk and I'm really interested in the London scene, but I listen to a lot of other things too, and I wouldn't really describe myself as "punk", because you can't even really define that word, or at least I can't. It's limiting and in my opinion, punk is something that you just know when you hear it, not something that fits a certain set of rules...because really, if a bunch of different bands can be described with exactly the same criteria then they're not really punk, are they? Yeah, in the end you just have to look around and look past the surface.
[/ramble]
FrankFuckingIero
Jackass
FrankFuckingIero
April 10th, 2007 at 12:19pm
Anji:

Wow. Can't believe you could be bothered typing all that! Bet it's nice to know that I actually read it all too eh? Old punk over so-called new punk for me too, thanks Smile
hardcore punker
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
hardcore punker
April 11th, 2007 at 09:32am
old punk music is the best: the clash,dead kennedys,ramones,sex pistols,dropkick murphys,flogging molly,distillers,screetching weasel,link 80,pinhead gunpowder,frustrators,operation ivy,green day
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 11th, 2007 at 04:34pm
hardcore punker:
old punk music is the best: the clash,dead kennedys,ramones,sex pistols,dropkick murphys,flogging molly,distillers,screetching weasel,link 80,pinhead gunpowder,frustrators,operation ivy,green day
Those aren't old, really Eh
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
April 11th, 2007 at 04:38pm
Dr. Cuddy:
hardcore punker:
Those aren't old, really Eh
Yeah, I agree. I've always concidered everything pre-80's old school. Dno
Register