Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 9th, 2007 at 10:59am
Kurtni:
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!:
Kurtni:

Ritalin has real bad side affects and has been proven to not be the best prescription.

FOR SOME PEOPLE
Medication has different affects on different people, what doesn't work for you might be wonderful for someone else. Just like the topic post in this thread; thats one case where medication didn't agree with someone, it doesn't mean medication as a whole is bad.

I didn't say every single person. I said it does have bad side affects but I didn't mention for everyone. I didn't even mention people.

Exactly, you didn't say who it applied to so I assumed you meant people as a whole.

Okay, okay. I don't wanna argue. I could've been more specific and you could've asked before assuming. There. Rolling Eyes
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
April 9th, 2007 at 11:02am
Lucifers Angel:
guitars_are_sexy:
I was reading this article about a 4 year old who died because she had too many prescription drugs in her system
When she was 2 1/2, she was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder, and she was put on medication

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070323/od_death_070323/20070323?hub=Health

do you think that doctors should be allowed to prescribe prescription drugs for kids?

personally, i think that when you're that young you cant tell if some one has ADHD or bipolar. medication can be helpful, but i think that people are starting to see it as an easy way out. for this girl, it ended up killing her, because her parents gave her powerful psychotropic drugs that are dangerous for even adults

i ahve one son who has ADHD, TOURRETS, and SEVERE OCD and i ahve one other son who is just 7 and has severe ADHD and he has been on meds since he was 4, and without that medication he will suffer with his school work and interacting with his peers, and Dr'd know that you ahve ADHD froma very young age, the dr's knew when my son was 2 that he had ADHD and they asked me then to consider letting take the medications he so needed to take to cope with life in general, it is also fairly rare for a child so young to be diagnosed with ADHD and BI POLAR! also it should be left to the mums and dads and dr's of these kids and not society to decide if they should have medication.

I knwo there has been a lot of people trying to get drugs like RITALIN banned but honestly it should be down to the profesionals what these children need not strangers and defianlty not society.

Ritalin has real bad side affects and has been proven to not be the best prescription.

ritalin can affect some children badly just like asprin can affect some adults badly! it all depends if you can handle that sort of medication, anyway ritalin should not be banned and most definalty stopped given to children,
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
April 9th, 2007 at 11:53pm

Okay, okay. I don't wanna argue. I could've been more specific and you could've asked before assuming. There. Rolling Eyes

Actually, the way you wrote it did seem like you were talking about everyone, not just some people.

But in regards to the topic, just because one doctor screwed up, doesn't mean medicine shouldn't be prescibed for every child. Cause uh, my sister was born 3 months early, and she had to take a lot of medicine as a baby. And when I was 3 years old I got very very sick and almost died, without being prescribed medicine, I wouldn't be alive.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 12:26pm
Anji:
Yeah, how the hell can you tell if a kid has a disease like that? It'd be a little hard to tell. Kids go through phases a lot at that age for one. That's like saying a kid has schizophrenia because he has an imaginary friend. I'm not sure. Colds and flus are okay, but diseases like that? They shouldn't really be able to tell nor be allowed to do that.
You mean you cannot diagnose a child for a mental disease?! I don't think that the textbook diagnosis for schitzophrenia is 'having an imaginary friend'. There are brain studies and psychotic analyses to take into account. It's a doctors fault if they are not treating the child properly for the proper symptoms with the proper medication and it's the guardian's fault if the child over doses. Simple as that.

I know they don't. That's the whole point. It's called giving you a visualization.
I'm sorry. I didn't understand any of that.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 13th, 2007 at 03:23pm
Anji:
Anji:
Yeah, how the hell can you tell if a kid has a disease like that? It'd be a little hard to tell. Kids go through phases a lot at that age for one. That's like saying a kid has schizophrenia because he has an imaginary friend. I'm not sure. Colds and flus are okay, but diseases like that? They shouldn't really be able to tell nor be allowed to do that.
You mean you cannot diagnose a child for a mental disease?! I don't think that the textbook diagnosis for schitzophrenia is 'having an imaginary friend'. There are brain studies and psychotic analyses to take into account. It's a doctors fault if they are not treating the child properly for the proper symptoms with the proper medication and it's the guardian's fault if the child over doses. Simple as that.

I know they don't. That's the whole point. It's called giving you a visualization.

Okay, let me explain it again. I compared this topic (mostly referring to those of 5 and/or under) to diagnosing a child with schizophrenia because it would look as if you're talking to yourself. I wasn't saying that Doctor's and so actually diagnose children because of that. It was an example and a way to show my opinion.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 13th, 2007 at 11:03pm
Anji:
Anji:

Okay, let me explain it again. I compared this topic (mostly referring to those of 5 and/or under) to diagnosing a child with schizophrenia because it would look as if you're talking to yourself. I wasn't saying that Doctor's and so actually diagnose children because of that. It was an example and a way to show my opinion.
Why are you using an example that doesn't exist? Eh
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 14th, 2007 at 02:16pm
Anji:

It's my opinion. There for it exists. An example doesn't have to be one that exist. For instance: I think that it's ridiculous that the Virgin Mary was able to be pregnant while being a virgin. That's like being able to talk with your head cut off. It's not actually possible.
guitars_are_sexy
Geek
guitars_are_sexy
April 14th, 2007 at 09:47pm
actually its possible to become pregnant when youre a virgin
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:54am
Anji:

It's my opinion. There for it exists. An example doesn't have to be one that exist. For instance: I think that it's ridiculous that the Virgin Mary was able to be pregnant while being a virgin. That's like being able to talk with your head cut off. It's not actually possible.
God had a laboratory and a sample of her egg and his sperm obviously. Inserted it back into her as a zygote. Pregnancy via no sex. It's possilbe nowadays, anyway.

I still don't understand this opinion of yours. You're saying that a doctor could diagnose a child with schizophrenia because he has an imaginary friend. I said that it would never happen because that's not how a doctor diagnoses schizophrenia, and then you agreed with that, opposing your previous arguement, and now you're supporting it.

Can you please clarify where you are for me?
SugarGreen
SugarGreen
April 15th, 2007 at 03:05am
Doctors are supposed to make sure that the people under their care are not taking too many medications at once and that medications are compatible with eachother, if they don't... they are in for a malpractice suit.
As to psychiatric medications for children....they are given as a last resort. Usually before giving children meds of that kind they have them go to counseling for a while or have them observed in a mental health unit for at least a month. There isn't much else to be done to avoid tragedies such as the one you read about.
Rectophobia Rachel
Geek
Rectophobia Rachel
April 22nd, 2007 at 09:36am
I think you should start when they are around the age of 8 or so. Four is way too young.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 23rd, 2007 at 08:43pm
Rectophobia Rachel:
I think you should start when they are around the age of 8 or so. Four is way too young.

Are you a trained medical professional who is able to make that diagnosis? Don't think so. Now, lets go check out all the new born infants who are dying and you can go tell their doctors they can't have any medicine until they're 8. (if they make it that far..)
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
April 23rd, 2007 at 09:53pm
Rectophobia Rachel:

If the kid got medicine at the age of 4, it means that the doctor judged it was good.
The kid needed that medicine. Obviously.
I don't think that it's a matter of age.
Doctors aren't that stupid, they know what kind of medication can take a 4 years old kid. Moreover, there are secondary side effects in any medication.
You just can't know how the body could react.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 24th, 2007 at 11:16am
Rectophobia Rachel:
Yes, all those Hepititis shots you recieve when you're born, and all those rabies and flu and small pox shots can wait until the infant has reached the age of eight. By then, they'll be devestatingly sick or dead from one of the above and desperately needing the vaccine which for some stupid reason, can only treat them once they're eight years of age. Yuh huh, that sounds smart. Rolling Eyes
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 25th, 2007 at 04:31pm
Rectophobia Rachel:

Fun fact: if Meg did not have any medication until she was eight, Meg would have died in screaming agony of Toxic Megacolon at age four.

That is, if I made it that far.
Chrissi
Chrissi
April 25th, 2007 at 04:42pm
I think it really depends on the illness. As it's been said before some children need it to survive, and at the end of the day, doctors are acting in the best interests of the child. They aren't forcing prescription drugs on them for no reason. I look after a little girl with Cystic Fibrosis and she takes a great amount of tablets and liquid before she can eat anything. She has been having medicine practically from birth and it is increasing her life span. So really, it does depend on the illness, but as I said most of the time it is in the best interest of the child.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 27th, 2007 at 03:23pm
Anji:
Anji:

God had a laboratory and a sample of her egg and his sperm obviously. Inserted it back into her as a zygote. Pregnancy via no sex. It's possilbe nowadays, anyway.

I still don't understand this opinion of yours. You're saying that a doctor could diagnose a child with schizophrenia because he has an imaginary friend. I said that it would never happen because that's not how a doctor diagnoses schizophrenia, and then you agreed with that, opposing your previous arguement, and now you're supporting it.

I know it's not possible to actually diagnose a child with an imaginary friend to have schizophrenia. I was being ridiculous on purpose because, in my opinion, I find it a bit ridiculous to be able to diagnose certain diseases to a child who is 5 our under.

God had a laboratory and a sample of her egg and his sperm obviously. Inserted it back into her as a zygote. Pregnancy via no sex.

I don't agree with that. Mostly because my belief in God well.. doesn't exactly exist. I'm more agnostic then anything.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 28th, 2007 at 11:19am
Anji:
Anji:

I know it's not possible to actually diagnose a child with an imaginary friend to have schizophrenia. I was being ridiculous on purpose because, in my opinion, I find it a bit ridiculous to be able to diagnose certain diseases to a child who is 5 our under.
Liiiiike...schizophrenia?
Apples
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Apples
April 28th, 2007 at 01:26pm
When I was eight, my doctor wanted to give me anti depressants for a head disorder thingy. My mom freaked and went on this whole rant campaigny thingy about not giving drugs to kids. And years later I'm just fine. Doctors shouldn't give drugs to kids until they're 100% positive they need them.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 28th, 2007 at 02:03pm
I was on pills when I was in second grade.
I did not need them.
The same doctor later saw me 6 years later and prescribed pills that were wrong for me.
He then saw me 2 years later and was a total dick.
He then saw my sister 2 years later and told my stepdad if he didn't take her home she'd go to foster care, which was a lie.

Basically I'm trying to say that if a doctor wants to put your child on drugs you should always seek a second opinion.
Register