AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 19th, 2007 at 04:11pm
Rollerpig:
That reminds me of Mona Lisa's smile. Con
Speaking of 'what is art', I dislike the Mona Lisa. Don't get me wrong, Da Vinci is one of my favourite Renaissance painters, however I dislike the Mona Lisa because I do not think it is at all one of his better works. At the Louvre, when I visited, I spent like a half-hour trying to get up close to it, and walked away after a minute's observation. For Madonna at the Rocks, I stood there in complete immobility and silence for at least twenty minutes. Much more impressive, much prettier, much more what I consider 'art'.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
September 19th, 2007 at 05:11pm
Anji:
Rollerpig:
That reminds me of Mona Lisa's smile. Con
Speaking of 'what is art', I dislike the Mona Lisa. Don't get me wrong, Da Vinci is one of my favourite Renaissance painters, however I dislike the Mona Lisa because I do not think it is at all one of his better works. At the Louvre, when I visited, I spent like a half-hour trying to get up close to it, and walked away after a minute's observation. For Madonna at the Rocks, I stood there in complete immobility and silence for at least twenty minutes. Much more impressive, much prettier, much more what I consider 'art'.

I don't dislike the Mona Lisa, but yeah he definately did more than that. Coolio I like the jesus and his crew pic. Cheese
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 19th, 2007 at 05:52pm
Shifty...J Crew...
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
September 19th, 2007 at 07:48pm
lyrical_mess:
Shifty...J Crew...

*chokes on tea*

''J crew representing straight from the ho..heaven''
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 19th, 2007 at 08:21pm
Heaven counts as a 'hood...kinda. [/spam]

So....literature. Shifty
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
September 19th, 2007 at 09:03pm
Rollerpig:
Coolio I like the jesus and his crew pic. Cheese
omg I just snorted so hard lmfao

Yeah, I never got Mona Lisa and her smile. As much as I will never get modern and abstract arts and how someone can think of a black spot on a white canvas meaningful and representing.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 19th, 2007 at 10:15pm
I think what makes it so significant is the tecnique he used to produce said smile. He was one of the first to use the blurring technique, I think. But I'm not an expert by any means, so I could be completely wrong. Faith
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 21st, 2007 at 02:58pm
Ivan0r:
Rollerpig:

Yeah, I never got Mona Lisa and her smile. As much as I will never get modern and abstract arts and how someone can think of a black spot on a white canvas meaningful and representing.
YES!

Can we make this a 'What is art?' thread to incorperate more ideas?
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
September 21st, 2007 at 03:18pm
Anji:
Ivan0r:
Rollerpig:

YES!

I agree. (y)
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 20th, 2007 at 02:29pm
I hate "The Cannon" tbh.

I used to love, love, LOVE English in school, I got an A* in my GCSEs and A Levels. Then I went to uni and BAM! It was awful. I had no idea what was going on. Everything was so strict and regulated. Like you were bing forced into some kind of straightjacket of what a poem's meaning is about, what is good luiterature and what is bad. It really turned me off the subject and I changed my degree in second year.

But yeah, I definitely agree. I mean, obviously I'm all "Shakespeare, Yeats and Wilde FTW!!" but there are some pieces of 'literature' that just don't touch me. They are too dry and outdated. Maybe they should be placed under 'literature valued for its historical properties', but I think we need to move on and schools need to teach kids how to appreciate writing and words and language, not which ones.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 20th, 2007 at 02:32pm
east infection.:
I disagree. I used to think that ~modern art~ was crap. All this lumps of colour, exact squares cut out of canvas and empty cans. But I think in reality, as one Mr. Pilkington once said, anything that makes you think, is art. Let your imagination work on those type of pieces, imagine what is beyond that little white circle, or how does a particular colour make you feel..

I sound like some art twat! lmfao tehe
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
November 20th, 2007 at 06:45pm
I DESPISE doing literature at school. not because i dont like books and stuff, but because when we do english lit for SATS and GCSE they give you a meaningful, soulful story or poem or something and then you have to pick it apart and analyze it so much that all meaning or anything it might make you feel goes right out the window and I HATE it because it's so soulless.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
November 20th, 2007 at 08:31pm
bjtp:
I hate "The Cannon" tbh.

I used to love, love, LOVE English in school, I got an A* in my GCSEs and A Levels. Then I went to uni and BAM! It was awful. I had no idea what was going on. Everything was so strict and regulated. Like you were bing forced into some kind of straightjacket of what a poem's meaning is about, what is good luiterature and what is bad. It really turned me off the subject and I changed my degree in second year.

But yeah, I definitely agree. I mean, obviously I'm all "Shakespeare, Yeats and Wilde FTW!!" but there are some pieces of 'literature' that just don't touch me. They are too dry and outdated. Maybe they should be placed under 'literature valued for its historical properties', but I think we need to move on and schools need to teach kids how to appreciate writing and words and language, not which ones.

That's what kind of drove me away from considering lit as a major. Writing is still art and should still be open to interpretation. I agree, that some thing are considered classics and some works are considered contemporary. And undoubtedly, literature is more than just what my friends call "timepass reading." like Shopoholic or something.

Literature incorporates use of language, ideas (new or traditional), and a strong theme. You can write a novel entirely made of "So I was in da hood with my homedawgs doin' coke an' shit" but if it portrays a strong idea and centers around a theme and plot, I'd call it literature. Weird literature, but literature all the same.

Does "Go Ask Alice" count as literature?

And something I noticed, even though it doesn't quite apply to literature: Fanfiction, which is a literary art, has something very peculiar about it, especially in slashfics, especially on Mibba. In the stories where two men/women go through the whole courting process, there's always one or both characters wondering "Is he/she gay?". Like, there's a special focus on the sexuality/nature of the relationship rather than on the relationship itself.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
November 20th, 2007 at 08:54pm
Anji:
YES!

(y) smart idea
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
November 20th, 2007 at 09:52pm
bjtp:
east infection.:
I disagree. I used to think that ~modern art~ was crap. All this lumps of colour, exact squares cut out of canvas and empty cans. But I think in reality, as one Mr. Pilkington once said, anything that makes you think, is art. Let your imagination work on those type of pieces, imagine what is beyond that little white circle, or how does a particular colour make you feel..

That is quite true in my opinion Very Happy
I think modern art interests people more nowadays than the Renascentist art, for example (here i'm talking about paintings because it's the first thing that comes to my mind) because people got used to images in which the real world or elements from reality are perfectly pictured, because photography was discovered and developed,so one can't be very much impressed by a detailed portrait made by some famous artist,because nowadays there are too many ways of 'captioning' the reality in some way,which 15th century people didn't have.So I guess artists now look for other ways of impressing people, by creating abstract art, which might get the viewer's attention because it is something new.
Dadaism is one of these abstract works,I personally find it fascinating =D
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 22nd, 2007 at 11:50am
bjtp:
east infection.:

I guess it depends on the person and on the particular piece. Dno
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
November 24th, 2007 at 04:08pm
bjtp:
east infection.:

The whole dot on a blank canvas or square in a circle thing is brilliant as conceptual art. But for me, conceptual art and other genres of art are completely different. And especially now, conceptual art is over-used and overly praised. The thing is, you don't need a visual representation or the same piece repeated dozens of times with different strokes or colour or media to show you the exact same thing if you are using your imagination.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
November 24th, 2007 at 06:34pm
Personaly, I think music is the deepist fourm of art. It can be exspressed in so many ways, and It can do so much.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
November 24th, 2007 at 06:58pm
I like modeling. Coolio It gets slagged on so much, but arts that involve the human body are my favorite. Humans are like the ultimate form of expresion and emotion. I'm not talking about like... pictures you'd find in cosmogirl or something like that. Like hardcore, in your face, expressive modeling. tehe
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 24th, 2007 at 07:40pm
Kurtni:
I like modeling. Coolio It gets slagged on so much, but arts that involve the human body are my favorite. Humans are like the ultimate form of expresion and emotion. I'm not talking about like... pictures you'd find in cosmogirl or something like that. Like hardcore, in your face, expressive modeling. tehe
Hellenic art ftw Coolio
Register