Shrooms

AuthorMessage
Rafael Nadal
Addict
Rafael Nadal
September 10th, 2009 at 04:43pm
Ikarus:
Yeah, but they're classified as a Class A now, so watch your back!

yep, my brother got caught so personally i wouldnt risk it Smiley
pasalacqua16
Geek
pasalacqua16

Blog
September 10th, 2009 at 05:06pm
i wouldn't even know where to find them to be able to risk it haha

and Bloodraine put what she said so well. it sucks though that some people have to take drugs everyday to live their life "normally"
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 10th, 2009 at 06:14pm
If a person "needs" any drug to function and feel like they have any semblance of control, they are a severe addict and should seek help. If somebody feels like they cannot function like a normal human being without taking a hit or a sip, that is a sign of a VERY severe and deadly disease, and should not be used as a justification and should not excuse somebody harming themselves.

We live in a society where people are encouraged to take drugs to be "normal" and it's sick. It's one of the most disgusting things about our culture.
Comrade182
Comrade182
September 10th, 2009 at 06:20pm
iViva la Andrea!:
If a person "needs" any drug to function and feel like they have any semblance of control, they are a severe addict and should seek help. If somebody feels like they cannot function like a normal human being without taking a hit or a sip, that is a sign of a VERY severe and deadly disease, and should not be used as a justification and should not excuse somebody harming themselves.

We live in a society where people are encouraged to take drugs to be "normal" and it's sick. It's one of the most disgusting things about our culture.

How about those people with mental illness and/or instabilities?

I lived with two people who, without medication, found it extremely difficult to carry out day to day tasks. They took medication (a form of drug) to enable themselves to live a more 'normal' life.
I also know another person with a disease which is slowly destroying his lower spine, for which he smokes marijana to help ease the pain.

There are times when drugs in some form or other are needed to help people live there lives as best they can.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 10th, 2009 at 06:26pm
I have a mental illness. I don't feel I need to be medicated to the point of not feeling, which is the point, to function.

There's a difference between convincing yourself you need a drug (keep in mind the example you used was alcohol) to function and having physical disabilities or diseases.

Addiction should never be excused and it should never be encouraged. We live in a world where it's both. If anything is wrong with anybody, give them a drug and shut them up. That's the culture we live in and it's enough to make me want to vomit.
Comrade182
Comrade182
September 10th, 2009 at 06:32pm
iViva la Andrea!:
I have a mental illness. I don't feel I need to be medicated to the point of not feeling, which is the point, to function.

There's a difference between convincing yourself you need a drug (keep in mind the example you used was alcohol) to function and having physical disabilities or diseases.

Addiction should never be excused and it should never be encouraged. We live in a world where it's both. If anything is wrong with anybody, give them a drug and shut them up. That's the culture we live in and it's enough to make me want to vomit.

They weren't medicated to the point of not feeling, it more 'balanced' them so they could function, it wasn't a case of 'give them this to shut them up'

And I agree people who convince themselves they need a drug to function are different from those who actually require some form of medicated treatment. I agree with what you say as well about the way doctors etc seem to prescribe medication to have an easier life.

All I ment was, like you said, there is a difference between those who require some medication to help them live and those who think they need some form of drug to help them live rather than face up to root of their problems.
(I hope this makes sense, I'm tired and too lazy to read it again lol)
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
September 10th, 2009 at 06:37pm
iViva la Andrea!:
If a person "needs" any drug to function and feel like they have any semblance of control, they are a severe addict and should seek help.

Ohay, I have Crohn's Disease and I need immunosuppressant drugs so my body doesn't fuck me over constantly and leave me in a state where I basically can't function. In addition to strong antibiotics and frequent use of painkillers. It isn't a case of 'if anything is wrong with anybody, give them a drug and shut them up'. It's case of 'I actually can't walk or eat or sleep or clean up my own blood and vomit because I'm physically unable to do so and I really rather do need some treatment'.
pasalacqua16
Geek
pasalacqua16

Blog
September 10th, 2009 at 06:49pm
pasalacqua16:
it sucks though that some people have to take drugs everyday to live their life "normally"

what i meant was people who have diseases, not just regular everyday people who get high just for the hell of it because they think they can't go on with their day without it.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 10th, 2009 at 07:23pm
Bloodraine:
iViva la Andrea!:
If a person "needs" any drug to function and feel like they have any semblance of control, they are a severe addict and should seek help.

Ohay, I have Crohn's Disease and I need immunosuppressant drugs so my body doesn't fuck me over constantly and leave me in a state where I basically can't function. In addition to strong antibiotics and frequent use of painkillers. It isn't a case of 'if anything is wrong with anybody, give them a drug and shut them up'. It's case of 'I actually can't walk or eat or sleep or clean up my own blood and vomit because I'm physically unable to do so and I really rather do need some treatment'.

Read the last time I responded to this. I don't feel like re-typing it.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 10th, 2009 at 07:26pm
And whether or not it's the case with you, it doesn't change the fact that we live in a culture that DOES say "this person isn't right, give them drugs to shut them up and/or make them what I define as right." That's the culture and the society we live in and it's just as sick that people as a whole are okay with that mentality.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
September 10th, 2009 at 07:29pm
Yeah, but there's a difference between being what society classes as 'normal' and being so ill, whether by physical or mental causes, that you are in pain, or can't live a life worth living because there is some sort of chemical imbalance in your body. It's like saying 'oh, she has something wrong with her blood, lets just leave her like that, instead of giving her a blood transfusion.'
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 10th, 2009 at 07:42pm
Ikarus:
Yeah, but there's a difference between being what society classes as 'normal' and being so ill, whether by physical or mental causes, that you are in pain, or can't live a life worth living because there is some sort of chemical imbalance in your body. It's like saying 'oh, she has something wrong with her blood, lets just leave her like that, instead of giving her a blood transfusion.'

iViva la Andrea!:

Read the last time I responded to this. I don't feel like re-typing it.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
September 10th, 2009 at 07:42pm
sometimes it's the case that people need the drugs to give them hope in life and then they can ween themselves off them when they feel ready and able.

it's such a narrow minded view to say "all drugs are bad"
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 10th, 2009 at 08:31pm
Again, if somebody is at a point where they "need" to harm themselves in order to have hope, they are suffering from a serious, deadly disease and should seek help. At the very least, such thoughts should not be encouraged.

What if your best friend was one of those people who "needed" drugs to give him or her hope? But what if instead of weening themselves off when they felt "ready," they were found facedown in a ditch? Would you then continue to defend the feeling of people needing to hurt themselves and feed a disease in order to obtain hope?

Popping pills is not a way to get hope. Downing depressants doesn't give people hope. It gives somebody the illusion of hope until the high wears off.

I have seen too many people suffer and die in many different ways because they "need the drugs to give them hope in life." Addiction is not hope. Death is not hope. How can you encourage and excuse something that murders hundrerds of thousands of people every day? And encourage it by saying it provides HOPE? Suicide is not hope, no matter how gradual a suicide it is.

I've got friends in jail because they "needed" the drugs to give them "hope," I've had friends overdose at FOURTEEN YEARS OLD because they "needed" the drugs to give them "hope." I've seen good people become monsters because they "need" that hit of hope.

If all you've got is a bong or a syringe to give you hope, please seek help immediatly.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
September 10th, 2009 at 08:41pm
i'm talking about PRESCRIPTION drugs.

and yes, actually, i do have a best friend who is severely depressed and is on anti-depressants and now she is happy, truly happy. when someone gets to the point that they need drugs to cope with life they DO seek help. they go to a doctor, or a therapist, and they decide the best course of action. often, drugs is the last thing they will prescribe you.

really, if you think that ~society~ is willing to give out drugs to whoever whenever they like so they "shut up" then you obviously don't understand that drugs are EXPENSIVE. if a doctor wanted you to leave them alone then they would not prescribe you anything, because it would only mean repeat visits for top up prescriptions. if they REALLY didn't want you to bother them at all, they would tell people to suck it up and send them on their way.

i understand that in some cases (often in America where there is no NHS and drugs are often advertised on television) it could be seen in different circumstances because it is a money making buisness to tell people they are unhappy and that they need help, but there ARE people out there that DO need help and that's why a doctor will diagnose them in such a way so that they GET that help.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 10th, 2009 at 08:59pm
Well apparently I've never been prescribed anything in my whole life. Good to know.

Don't patronize me. I've already expressed a small amount of the experiences I've had and I have studied the subject extensively. There's a difference between never seeing a doctor again and being the happy, normal, drugged up stereotype the world is becoming.

I don't care if it's prescription or not, if the only thing you've got to give you hope is a pill you are showing a HUGE symptom of a horrible and devestating disease that NEVER goes away and you should seek help. If you can't find happiness anywhere other than a pill, that is NOT something that should be excused or encouraged. And don't tell me I don't understand unless you take a look inside my mind and recognize the life crippling depression I've been battling for the past 10+ years. Without relying on a colorful pill to make me happy for a few hours. Handing somebody a pill is not helping them. It never helped me and it's done way more harm than good with every single one of the people I've seen go through treatment for any kind of depression. Drugging somebody is not taking care of the problem.

THe LAST thing they prescribe? You walk into a doctors office and they've got books all over the place explaining the wonders of drugs. The pens have logos from drug company A and the pads of paper have logos from drug company B. The last thing? I'm not sure where you go to the doctor or what kind of psychological clinics you've toured, but every drug from a to b is advertised and glorified.

We DO live in a society that glorifies drugs- both legal and illegal. We live in a culture where it's more rare to NOT be on prescription drugs, regardless of your age, to be on them.
Comrade182
Comrade182
September 11th, 2009 at 02:32am
iViva la Andrea!:
Well apparently I've never been prescribed anything in my whole life. Good to know.

Don't patronize me. I've already expressed a small amount of the experiences I've had and I have studied the subject extensively. There's a difference between never seeing a doctor again and being the happy, normal, drugged up stereotype the world is becoming.

I don't care if it's prescription or not, if the only thing you've got to give you hope is a pill you are showing a HUGE symptom of a horrible and devestating disease that NEVER goes away and you should seek help. If you can't find happiness anywhere other than a pill, that is NOT something that should be excused or encouraged. And don't tell me I don't understand unless you take a look inside my mind and recognize the life crippling depression I've been battling for the past 10+ years. Without relying on a colorful pill to make me happy for a few hours. Handing somebody a pill is not helping them. It never helped me and it's done way more harm than good with every single one of the people I've seen go through treatment for any kind of depression. Drugging somebody is not taking care of the problem.

THe LAST thing they prescribe? You walk into a doctors office and they've got books all over the place explaining the wonders of drugs. The pens have logos from drug company A and the pads of paper have logos from drug company B. The last thing? I'm not sure where you go to the doctor or what kind of psychological clinics you've toured, but every drug from a to b is advertised and glorified.

We DO live in a society that glorifies drugs- both legal and illegal. We live in a culture where it's more rare to NOT be on prescription drugs, regardless of your age, to be on them.

ok, so what about insulin?

It's not exactly a drug, but it is prescribed, but these people need it to stay alive.

Same case with some people with anti-depressents, they will kill themselves without them. I also have experience with this. Doctors don't just prescribe the drug and turn away, they also send people to shrinks to help them get better so they dont need the medication for the rest of their lives.
However, sometime the chemical imbalence in their body, much like a diabetic, won't go away and they need to stay on the medication for the rest of their lives to help this.
And in no way is this an addiction. People who I've known who are now on the same medication for the rest of their lives often complain about it, on several occaions it has reduced them to tears because they HAVE to be dependent on a drug for them to lead a ~normal~ life. Sometimes an anti-depressent is someones insulin.

I agree that sometimes it ~seems~ that doctors just want to give you whatever medication, but that is not as common as you make it sound, at least here in the UK it isn't anyway. But also, they know what they are doing, they've gone through however many years of studying and then actually doing their job, they know what they are talking about.

Also as Boobmeister said, prescription drugs are expensive and doctors over here will go through other things you can try before prescribing something (except for, of course, short term treatments for things like infections etc.) my old doctor even used to look up natural remedies and tell people to try them before he'd prescribe something and I've heard he is not the only one doing that now.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
September 11th, 2009 at 06:41am
You keep saying seek help. From who? A doctor? And I wonder what they would do..
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
September 11th, 2009 at 08:20am
iViva la Andrea!:

You keep blaming ~society and that's really rather unsatisfactory and vague. By default you're part of society so you too are part of the problem. I doubt you like the idea, so why don't you blame somebody more specific? Or maybe you're just as much part of the 'blame culture' as we're all part of the 'sick drug-addicted' culture or whatever it is.
iViva la Andrea!:
I don't care if it's prescription or not, if the only thing you've got to give you hope is a pill you are showing a HUGE symptom of a horrible and devestating disease that NEVER goes away and you should seek help. If you can't find happiness anywhere other than a pill, that is NOT something that should be excused or encouraged.

It isn't so easy to dichotomise things as you seem to think.
Do you think I can be happy when I'm sick? When I'm bleeding, vomiting and have infection pouring out of several large wounds? Maybe you're special and you could still be all rainbows and lemondrops under that situation, but when I'm ill, I'm miserable. When I'm in pain, I'm not dancing around to The Ark and going la-di-da. Health and happiness are so closely related and you totally ignore this. Being in poor health is a bad experience for anybody. If people take drugs to make them healthy, they're more likely to be happy. It's not rocket science.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
September 11th, 2009 at 09:50am
iViva la Andrea!:

i DO NOT live in that culture. people don't advertise drugs in the UK like the do in the US.
Register