Changing Education Paradigms

AuthorMessage
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
January 22nd, 2011 at 06:18pm
Okay so watch this video and tell me what you think. Do you think should change or stay the same?

wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 22nd, 2011 at 06:57pm
first of all....that is a SICK video.

I agree with this, in theory. He didn't outline how exactly a new school system would operate, so like I can't say for sure. In theory though, I'm on board.

I totally agree with the overmedication for ADHD. My guess as to why it's higher on the east coast is there's more pressure from parents and the people around the kids to get into the ivy leagues? Think but I don't know.

I also agree that the standards of learning are old fashioned and that they arts aren't valued enough. Sure, the world always needs people who are classic intellectuals. Society needs them to be doctors, lawyers, scientific researchers, etc. But the way the current system is designed, if you're not inclined to the maths and sciences, it seems you're not all that important. Like in my high school, just as an example, the kids who opted to take physics and chemistry in our last year were labelled the "smart ones" . The kids who opted for art/photography/media production classes were sometimes considered the slack ones. But that doesn't make any sense at all. Since when should an interest or ability in sciences and maths be a measure of intelligence? I think we all know some extremely bright people who are more adept at the arts, but to study arts in university, by some people, is considered "slack". This needs to change, I think. Not everyone should be told in school that they should aspire to be doctors or lawyers, because our society cannot function on doctors and lawyers alone.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
January 22nd, 2011 at 07:02pm
i agree! especially with saying the kids who took art classes were labelled 'slackers'. my step-dad told me also took easy courses in highschool and didn't try because they were all art. it's fucked up because it's untrue.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 22nd, 2011 at 07:17pm
JakubHogarddd:
i agree! especially with saying the kids who took art classes were labelled 'slackers'. my step-dad told me also took easy courses in highschool and didn't try because they were all art. it's fucked up because it's untrue.

And like, part of the problem is the art classes, in my school at least, WERE slack, I guess they had just become that way over time, but you would have a teacher who struggled to keep their attention long enough to teach them how to sketch an apple, you know? But I think they should put more value in to these non-science/math classes, so they won't get a stigma like this.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
January 23rd, 2011 at 09:06am
Very interesting video...

As someone who would be considered - not in a boastful way, but on account of things like exam results and other forms of testing that are considered a good indicator of intelligence - to be 'academic', I find it slightly difficult to agree with him (because that would seem to undermine my own 'achievements'), but I do nonetheless. It's something which is particularly relevant given that I am on a shared university campus; my university is considered to be one of the best in the UK, whereas the uni we share with is not, because it's a more arts-focused uni and therefore has much lower entrance grades than those aimed at traditionally intellectual subjects or for 'better' universities, whose reputations justify higher entrance grades. My friends are often inclined to make jokes at the expense of students from the other university, referring to their degrees as 'worthless' - which seems somewhat ironic, given that many of these degrees are vocational as opposed to our subject, English...

Although that may sound like a tangent, it's proof of our ingrained thinking about the standards by which we judge people to be intelligent or unintelligent. In my opinion, although I vocalised my feelings about those taking 'easy' arts subjects, I've also found it somewhat harsh that many top universities consider arts subjects as 'easy' ways out when they are actually far more time-consuming and require more creative thinking than traditional academic subjects. A friend of mine got A*A*A in her A-levels (in English Literature, Photography and Graphics) yet was told by several top universities that her subject choices were not 'academic' enough for her to be accepted onto their English Literature courses next year - despite her evident capability in the subject. Just because she has more lateral thinking capabilities, she is considered unfit to take one of her best subjects to the top level. I think the schools and universities are as much to blame as the government, IMHO. A similar story is that, apparently, the teachers at my secondary school had a table of all the students in the year which they would rank according to grades, extracurriculars and subject 'worthiness'... so someone doing sciences or languages would be considered a better student than one doing photography or media studies. Of course, our school didn't actually do media studies because it considered itself 'above' such follies...

Sorry, that's a really long ramble and I'm not really sure I've contributed much to the discussion, but the video just made me think of all these things Laughing I don't know how such a deep-set thinking pattern would be altered. I mean, there must be a way, but with such a long tradition of academia v non-academia I'm not sure where a suitable alternative will be found!
Mareh
King For A Couple Of Days
Mareh

Blog
January 23rd, 2011 at 02:04pm
I agree that people are driven towards taking a math or science course in tertiary education because we're told that those are the kind of degrees that we need to take in order to succeed in life. I myself would of much rather done something I was good at - music - but I asked myself "well, what good would a music degree do me in getting a good job?" and obviously I couldn't answer it, so I took my Bachelor of Science course instead.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 23rd, 2011 at 02:20pm
Mareh.:
I agree that people are driven towards taking a math or science course in tertiary education because we're told that those are the kind of degrees that we need to take in order to succeed in life. I myself would of much rather done something I was good at - music - but I asked myself "well, what good would a music degree do me in getting a good job?" and obviously I couldn't answer it, so I took my Bachelor of Science course instead.

This is pretty much me exactly. I was unsure right up to the last second whether to apply to music or science, and what everyone kept telling me is "It's very hard to make a living as a musician, be warned" or "You're good at the sciences, why put that to waste?" so in the end I chose science. Not that it isn't important, but the arts (creative, performing, liberal) aren't valued enough.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 24th, 2011 at 03:56pm
I love that video, it was amazing.

Anyway,
I agree, agree AGREE with it.

I am good with English, and Bio.
Real good.
But I don't want to go on doing something in either proffesion.
I want to make art.

So many people I think might say that art classes aren't any good, and the easy way out, bcause LOOK at them.
Kids who want the easy way out hear that, and they take them so that they can get just that.

I work harder in art then any other class though.
And my grades are just fine.
Art is that one time of day that you get to use the other half of your brain, and really, if you don't, I think that you're only hurting yourself.

I want to go to college For graphic design and photography.
But over all my goal is to be a tattoo artist.
And everyone finds it easy to say what a waste of my time that will be.

That I should go to college for a real proffesion.
Or if I can't give it up, to be a art teacher.

And ADHD is over-rated.
I hear kids all the time that are saying that they can't do this or that because they have ADHD,
It's almost not even serious anymore for people who really have it.
It's become more of an excuse.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2011 at 05:40pm
It's probably good that you're choosing not to pursue English as a "proffesion". Even though you're "good with" it, "real good" at that.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
January 24th, 2011 at 05:41pm
LOL OMG
clark
GSBitch
clark
January 24th, 2011 at 05:57pm
Nada.:
And ADHD is over-rated.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
January 24th, 2011 at 06:01pm
it's not over-rated actually that's not the right word to use. however, ADHD and other exceptionalities are now becoming over diagnosed.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 24th, 2011 at 06:11pm
Nada.:
And ADHD is over-rated.
I hear kids all the time that are saying that they can't do this or that because they have ADHD,
I take a little offense to this because I have ADD, which is similar to ADHD, and I wish I didn't have it. I hate that I have to try harder than everybody else to do good. I would never use it as an excuse. If I could get rid of it completely, I would.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 26th, 2011 at 07:37pm
John Entwistle:
Nada.:
And ADHD is over-rated.
I take a little offense to this because I have ADD, which is similar to ADHD, and I wish I didn't have it. I hate that I have to try harder than everybody else to do good. I would never use it as an excuse. If I could get rid of it completely, I would.

It wasn't meant to offend you, sorry.
My mother has it, and so does one of my friends.
But then there are kids that don't have it that do that.

I'm not saying that some people don't have it.
It's just that there are those few in every bunch, like anything else in the world.
And they abuse things, making them over-rated and look like a joke.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 26th, 2011 at 07:38pm
Desmond Hume:
It's probably good that you're choosing not to pursue English as a "proffesion". Even though you're "good with" it, "real good" at that.

Up yours ;]
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
January 26th, 2011 at 07:43pm
just curious to whether or not you have ever talked in the other sections of the site?
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 26th, 2011 at 07:45pm
And you want to know why?
And that's has any connection here how?

Don't ask questions on here that don't connect to the topic,
When you're in another topic baching someone else.
K? thanks.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
January 26th, 2011 at 07:47pm
Nada.:
And you want to know why?
And that's has any connection here how?

Don't ask questions on here that don't connect to the topic,
When you're in another topic baching someone else.
K? thanks.
UMMMMM JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE WHY DO YOU COME ON A GREEN DAY WEBSITE TO ARGUE WITH EVERYONE WHEN THEY DON'T AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY. IT WAS A FUCKING QUESTION, IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO ANSWER. K? THANKS.

LIKE SERIOUSLY YOU'D THINK THAT YOU'D JUST LEAVE BY NOW
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
January 26th, 2011 at 07:49pm
I don't argue with everyone.
I put out my opinions.
I also don't go at others and form a little friend group on here to go after people.
I can be on here if I want.
And I do use other threads.
Not that it's any of your business.

I'm really a nice person,
Unless the person acts like you.
Then I'm not.
K, thanks?

If you don't like me, then don't adress me.
That's all I have to say.
clark
GSBitch
clark
January 26th, 2011 at 07:54pm
Nada.:
I also don't go at others and form a little friend group on here to go after people.
lol gurl the fact that people here are friends and the fact that you often need to be corrected in the opinions you put forward are not even connected
Register