Changing Education Paradigms

AuthorMessage
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
January 31st, 2011 at 01:39am
Sam Roberts:
Also, on the same note, since more and more people are getting the message that academia is the way to go, less people are going to school for technical/vocational jobs because they have this stigma that they're for ignoramuses, or something. In reality it takes skill to learn a trade, and there is more immediate need for tradespeople than there is for lofty researches. Basically what that's saying is you can make more money than people think by working a tech/voc job, but it's discouraged by the mainstream.
A lot of people with trades get kind of messed up physically. Like they develop health problems due to the trade that their in. That's part of the reason why I went to college instead, I didn't want to end up like the people I know who have a manual labor type of job. They've all got bad knees, and bad hands, and stuff. They're pretty much falling apart. I also know a lot of people with missing fingertips and injuries like that. They're all very skilled and make good money, but they get destroyed doing their job.
Register