Is today's world getting too violent?

AuthorMessage
Fely
Basket Case
Fely
December 3rd, 2005 at 06:22pm
i personally think people are getting all this shooting and killing for t.v/films.
most films out there have at least one person that dies because someone has stabbed/shot/kicked to death etc them
and now the audiance is getting younger and younger these days that they might thing that is an 'ok' way to act.
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
December 4th, 2005 at 03:08pm
frankly, its time for a history lesson to get this discussion back on track.
the crusades. dont worry, this isnt religion were talking about. during the crusades, they had swords and spears and horses and catapults. during the time period in general there was a lot of war. people constantly smacking each other with sharp bits of steel, throwing rocks and whatnot.
today. lots of war. lots of people who hate each other on an individual level. so...same amount of violence as far as frequency goes. but instead of swords and spears and catapults and rock throwing, we have guns and missiles and bombs and hand grenades.
more people get hurt because we havent made the adjust from low tech to high tech killing.
st.jimmy'sgrlfriend
Geek
st.jimmy'sgrlfriend
December 5th, 2005 at 09:37pm
yes, the world is way to violent. in are parents day it was so much safer, not saying it was totaly safe, just better then these days. at least you could walk outside with out worrying about being killed, or raped. but it's all these people who are so pro violent, who make it look cool, like gangs and things. we live in a screwed up world.
Kitti
Kitti
December 6th, 2005 at 04:53pm
*mocks* ooooh...violence...it makes me scared...

since the dawning of time theres been violence. our parents dealt with violence. everyone does.

if we werent so fucking media saturated, we wouldnt care. we dont have any point of comparison because that shit wasnt televised so much a decade ago.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
December 6th, 2005 at 06:13pm
There isn't more violence in the world than there was a 100 years ago, but the way the media inteprets violence has a large factor in how we see the world.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
December 6th, 2005 at 06:16pm
st.jimmy'sgrlfriend:
yes, the world is way to violent. in are parents day it was so much safer, not saying it was totaly safe, just better then these days. at least you could walk outside with out worrying about being killed, or raped. but it's all these people who are so pro violent, who make it look cool, like gangs and things. we live in a screwed up world.

In my parents life time, they had to deal with the coal mine riots, Thatcher, the feminist movement in which there was alot of violence on university campus'. plus if my time line is accurate the Vietnam peace movement was happening in America.

For the record there was so many more rapes and deaths in the 60's and 70's only it wasn't seen as socially acceptable for a women to talk about it, so they wouldn't report it.
fender
Geek
fender
December 9th, 2005 at 06:06am
Just like as if:
It has always been violent and always will be. It's not too violent yet, it can get a lot worse than this.

I don't like how people criticize media as if it was something they can't affect on. People create and are the media, not some distant thing. "Media" seems to be a fair enough excuse for everything.

and people using media is enabeling the media to egsist.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
December 9th, 2005 at 04:25pm
fender:
Just like as if:
It has always been violent and always will be. It's not too violent yet, it can get a lot worse than this.

I don't like how people criticize media as if it was something they can't affect on. People create and are the media, not some distant thing. "Media" seems to be a fair enough excuse for everything.

and people using media is enabeling the media to egsist.

Stephen King once said that he's aware that he writes horror books but he can't be to blame for the way people are bringing they're kids up, People should tell they're kids that somthing is wrong.
geekoll
Geek
geekoll
December 12th, 2005 at 12:21pm
Where I live used to be very safe, it was a nice quiet place with a lot of elderly people going about, now however it has gained a bad reputation and there have been complaints about 12/13 year olds outside the local shop! There are normally big groups of teenagers walking about and blocking the streets. We have also experienced a stabbing. Which was scary and I actually used to speak to the stabbers sister. It scares me.
TresFine
King For A Couple Of Days
TresFine
January 4th, 2006 at 08:03pm
yeah the word is not safe anymore.used to be better when you could go outside without getting killed or kidnapped
Laurie*L.
Geek
Laurie*L.
January 4th, 2006 at 11:10pm
it has always been the same but the poblation of idiots in this earth has duplicated. Mad
killing loneliness
Idiot
killing loneliness
January 5th, 2006 at 09:24am
i guess now it's more violant than before...cuz things have changed.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
June 20th, 2006 at 03:27pm
its not that its more violent, the violence is just more accepted, which sux, this world is so screwed up
Kitti
Kitti
June 20th, 2006 at 03:29pm
anti-christ of suburbia:
its not that its more violent, the violence is just more accepted, which sux, this world is so screwed up
But it's NOT more accepted, not so much as it is getting the media attention more than it ever did ten or twenty years ago.
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
June 21st, 2006 at 12:11am
I agree with the quote Bloodraine wrote here because the world has always been violent, it does just happen to get more coverage now. That doesn't make all this violence right. They need to do something to control some of it, the government or the police or something, but I don't know what they could do. Making the gun laws more strict would help.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
June 21st, 2006 at 12:22am
Violence has always been around. Its just now they put it on Primetime TV U_U for like the whole world to see....I watched the World Trade Centers come down on the internet like an hour after it happened IN SCHOOL OUR TEACHER SHOWED US!
U___U
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 21st, 2006 at 01:46pm
spill_no_sick:
I don't think we're at all more violent
I think we're the opposite and it's bad
we've become so....hippie these days
have you ever witnessed a fight in school where it lasted more than a minute before a teacher broke it up?
back in the seventies it was common to be in class and hear a cherry bomb blow up the toilet
last year five kids at my school were expelled because they had two bottle rockets....the little week ones; I've held the same brand in my hand and it hardly hurt at all

I think this causes major false insecurity when kids grow up, it takes a major toll on numbness, so they'll never be ready for true violence

bullies and fighting is a part of life everyone should learn because it will never go away

I'm really into psycology, and I know that this lack of (mild, neccesarry for development, and cronic) violence is actually neccesary for normal emotional security/lack of

we live in a very hippie society where the ideals are logical but impossible, stupid, only sound good, and are very dangerous if executed

please look at both sides and notice: how could you move to a new place and feel secure if you know you've never encountered phisical conflict?
how would you feel if you know your strengths and weeknesses, and learned how to work out of any conflict no matter if it takes physical force?

our society will eventually rob us of everything that makes us human so that we're perfect with an empty hole, yearning for that humanity back, and one day, we'll never be able to uncover it again and we'll have to synthesize it all, and we will rip the fabric of life and humanity, a rip unable to repair unless we start with a new sheet of fabric

and why?
because we are afraid of the short tearm bloody nose
we are pussy enough and selfish enough to make a law putting a man behind bars for life if he beats up a guy for his race

think about your responses to everything before you say them, no matter how good they sound, there is always another side to the story that no one has thought of yet
and this lack of thinking will be our own undoing
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
June 21st, 2006 at 03:47pm
OMG Nick, you're making everyone look stupid. lmfao

Stop being so smart. Or don't. Cool
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
June 21st, 2006 at 06:47pm
For the entire existance of human societies.. there has always been too much violence. It's one of our flaws, unfortunatly.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 17th, 2006 at 05:17pm
No, it's not safe now, it never was safe, and it never will be. No matter what, there will be nutcases out there just waiting to start a scene of violence. It's just like people wanting world peace. There never was world peace, isn't now, and there never will be, Damnit!
Register