GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
May 6th, 2007 at 07:31am
LOL THIS IS MY ATTEMPT AT ~DISCUSSION~

BBC:

Toddler 'abducted' during holiday

Madeleine disappeared while her parents were at a nearby restaurant
Sniffer dogs have been brought in to help search for a three-year-old from Britain who may have been abducted on holiday with her family in Portugal.

Madeleine McCann's parents, from Leicestershire, were at a restaurant near the Mark Warner Ocean Summer Club in Praia da Luz when she went missing.

Kate and Gerry McCann returned at about 2145 GMT to find an empty bed and the apartment door and window wide open.

The apartment has been cordoned off and local people are helping with a search.

'Devoted family'

Gill Renwick, a friend of the family, said Madeleine's parents - both doctors - had been having a meal in a tapas restaurant a few hundred yards from the apartment and had been checking on the little girl and her younger brother and sister (two-year-old twins) every half hour.

"They're a devoted family and love their children to bits. They live for their children."

Madeleine was reported missing at about 2200 BST on Thursday and tourists joined the police in an all-night search.

McCann family
The McCann family had been holidaying with a larger group

Her aunt Trish Cameron, who lives in Glasgow, said she felt certain her niece had been abducted.

"They last checked at half past nine and they were all sound asleep, sleeping, windows shut, shutters shut.

"Kate went back at 10 o'clock to check. The front door was lying open, the window had been tampered with, the shutters had been jemmied open or whatever you call it and Madeleine was missing...

"She's an absolutely beautiful, wee blonde girl, blue-green eyes - one distinguishing feature is that one of her pupils runs into the iris of her right eyes. She's an absolutely gorgeous wee girl."

She added: "We feel that what's been going on in Portugal has been ineffectual.

"My brother and sister-in-law are absolutely distraught."

But the manager of the Mark Warner resort in Portugal, John Hill, said about 60 staff and guests at the complex had searched until 0430 GMT while police notified border police, Spanish police and airports.

Officers sealed off the area of the apartment for forensic checks and extra police teams were brought in from Lisbon.

'Sensitive case'

"As you can imagine Madeleine's parents are distraught and not doing very well at all," Mr Hill said.

"It's still questionable as to whether it's abduction," he said.

"We are hoping that Madeleine is found as soon as possible and safe and well."

The holiday firm has offered to fly other family members out to the resort.

A spokeswoman from the Portuguese police said they were being careful with the information being released.

"It is a sensitive case, it involves a child and we cannot give more information for now."

The British Embassy confirmed it had been informed about the toddler's disappearance.

The family was on holiday with a group of nine adults and eight children.

The toddler's father is a consultant cardiologist at Leicester's Glenfield Hospital.

Doug Skehan, another consultant cardiologist there, said: "(Dr McGann) is a popular hard working colleague, for whom we have great affection.

"The mood in the hospital is one of great concern and we hope that Kate and Gerry will have their daughter back very soon."

My argument is this:

should the parents have left three toddlers alone at night, in a foreign country?

I say no. They are both doctors, and they almost certainly know the risks of leaving your children alone at night, especially if they're below the age of 10.

Discuss Dance
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
May 6th, 2007 at 07:35am
It's a terrible situation, especially in a foreign country where things are done differently. But it's the parents' fault. My mum and dad sat in the hotel on the balcony rather than go out when they took me on holiday as a baby. If you care that much about your child then you don't leave them alone like that, even at home.

I don't know how doctors would be specifically qualified to know the risks of it, though Confused its just common sense, surely.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 6th, 2007 at 08:35am
Hmm. Its weird, 'cause I've been to Spain before, and been left alone by my parents. I guess it wasn't such a big risk, because we were at my Uncle's house anyway, and they'd leave me alone at 'home' in England too. Also, I was quite a bit older (11, I think) so one could consider it safer.

I don't think being in a foreign country changes the situation much. We misturst foreign things, and I guess its natural to do so, but is it really any less dangerous to leave a bunch of toddlers home alone on a council estate in Britain? I think not.
The point is, people shouldn't leave very young children alone unless you have a serious reason to. Because its just irresponsible.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
May 6th, 2007 at 10:33am
In fairness to the parents they weren't down the street they were literally yards away and went back to check on them everyhalf hour, they were also in a mark warner family park. Where only families ar epermitted to stay it should and part from this is a safe environment. think about it this way. if they were at the pool swimming whilst the parents were in the nearby cafe people wouldn't bat an eyelid and blame the parents but because the chilndren were sleeping it seems as if they were being neglected.

obviously it was a lack of judgement on their part and i just pray the little girl is safe and doesn't become another Ben.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
May 6th, 2007 at 01:02pm
NeoSteph:
In fairness to the parents they weren't down the street they were literally yards away and went back to check on them everyhalf hour, they were also in a mark warner family park. Where only families ar epermitted to stay it should and part from this is a safe environment. think about it this way. if they were at the pool swimming whilst the parents were in the nearby cafe people wouldn't bat an eyelid and blame the parents but because the chilndren were sleeping it seems as if they were being neglected.

obviously it was a lack of judgement on their part and i just pray the little girl is safe and doesn't become another Ben.
Well in a swimmingpool, there would be more people around to notice if the kid was taken by force and showed no sign of knowing the person than in a room where the parents woulde come every half hour.
Chrissi
King For A Couple Of Days
Chrissi
May 6th, 2007 at 01:38pm
I don't see how doctors should know better really. I agree that it would seem like she was neglected, however I don't think she was neglected by her parents That's a bit of a harsh word to say, as they obviously care a great deal about her. They did check on her every half an hour as someone said. You just don't expect these terrible things to happen. When they do it gives people such a wake up call. The parents are already probably blaming themselves. They must be feeling incredibly guilty for leaving her. It may be irresponsible to leave such young children alone in a country they don't know that well, even alone in Britain is not a good thing to do. I just hope they find their little girl. I feel so sorry for their whole family.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 6th, 2007 at 01:44pm
Chrissi_1986:
I don't see how doctors should know better really.

In our society, doctors are treated as people in a position of trust.
That's why they can vaidate our passports and can't have a sexual relationship with an under 18. Or maybe that law is now defunct, I dunno.

But they are generally assumed to be somewhat 'better' than the rest of us, hence the passport-form-signing.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
May 6th, 2007 at 01:57pm
i ahve been reading about this and they should never have left the children alone even for 2 mins let alone half hour, i know they came to check on them every half hour but a lot can happen in half hour, (has they have found out).

also dr's are always saying never leave your children in the bath while you go and get a ringing phone, and also never leave your children alone near a pond, so why shoudl you be able to leave your children alone in an apartment while you go and have dinner, if they didnt want the children with them while they ear perhaps they shouldve asked the hotel if they have a baby sistting service, and if they said no they didnt then hard luck stay with your children especially(sp) in a place that is foreign to them and they're children.

Please i dont want to come accross has a heartless bitch and i really hope with all my heart she is returned to her mum and dad soon, but you should NEVER leave your children alone even if its just for 2 mins to go into a shop that is to small for the buggy or pram.

And regarding bloodraines sentence about the passport signing thing, i ahve just applied for my passport and now you dont need a Dr or lawyer to sign them for you a responsible adult with a full tiem job will do, but they now have to sign the back of your photographs.
CopperheaD
Geek
CopperheaD
May 7th, 2007 at 05:35pm
It said on the news that the last abduction reported in that country was in the 90's.
And i saw that heart-breaking appeal her maddie's parents made today. I would give my life for that little girl to be safe.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
May 8th, 2007 at 06:55am
CopperheaD:
It said on the news that the last abduction reported in that country was in the 90's.
And i saw that heart-breaking appeal her maddie's parents made today. I would give my life for that little girl to be safe.

the little boy Ben Heedham was taken while he was on holiday on the island of Kos (sp) that was 16 yeras ago and they have never found him.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
May 8th, 2007 at 08:05am
Lucifers Angel:
i ahve been reading about this and they should never have left the children alone even for 2 mins let alone half hour, i know they came to check on them every half hour but a lot can happen in half hour, (has they have found out).

Yeah but people leave kids watching the tv while they're in another room, you can't see everything that goes on while you're in another room, so if you're saying that you'd spend every single second of the day with your kids then you're either lying or mad.

I mean, I personally wouldn't have left kids that young on their own, and I'm sure her parents regret it more than anything, but I think it's unfair to be condemning them while they're going through this, even if they did make a mistake.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
May 8th, 2007 at 09:46am
Flaming Phalanges!:
Lucifers Angel:

Yeah but people leave kids watching the tv while they're in another room, you can't see everything that goes on while you're in another room, so if you're saying that you'd spend every single second of the day with your kids then you're either lying or mad.

I mean, I personally wouldn't have left kids that young on their own, and I'm sure her parents regret it more than anything, but I think it's unfair to be condemning them while they're going through this, even if they did make a mistake.

ok, but your normally in the same house has the children, and i know children get taken while they're mum and dad are home but its rare and on the Portugiesse (sp) island where they were its not that rare, it was saying on the radio this morning that Portugal is littered with posters wanting the safe return of not only english children but spanish children aswell, i hope the litte maddie is bought home soon and safe and well but do not leave your kids alone, and i know from expierience that you cant watch your kids 24/7, but i would never go and have dinner and leave the children alone even now when my oldest child is old enough (he's 15) to babysit his brother and sister i phone home at every opertunity i can.
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
May 8th, 2007 at 03:12pm
I know it's a terrible situation, but they really shouldn't have left the kids alone, in my opinion. Maybe they thought it would be safer because it was a holiday resort, but I think if you've got any sense you wouldn't leave your kids anywhere. They said even half an hour is a long time to leave a child, so it must have been more than that.

And as doctors, I bet they've had a lot of kids brought to them injured after being left on their own, so yeah, they should know better. If they're educated in medicine they've obviously got some sense about them.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
May 8th, 2007 at 09:01pm
Lucifers Angel:
Flaming Phalanges!:
Lucifers Angel:

ok, but your normally in the same house has the children, and i know children get taken while they're mum and dad are home but its rare and on the Portugiesse (sp) island where they were its not that rare, it was saying on the radio this morning that Portugal is littered with posters wanting the safe return of not only english children but spanish children aswell, i hope the litte maddie is bought home soon and safe and well but do not leave your kids alone, and i know from expierience that you cant watch your kids 24/7, but i would never go and have dinner and leave the children alone even now when my oldest child is old enough (he's 15) to babysit his brother and sister i phone home at every opertunity i can.

Kids can be taken at any time, unless you chain them to a radiator or something, and that is probably classed as child abuse. So many people think it will never happen to them, and this was obviously a case like that.

I'm curious though as to whether the other kids were there when she was taken, and if they were, why did the person only take/choose her?
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 08:50am
hello, they said that the parents checked on the kids EVERY HALF AN HOUR. So i see no problem THERE. But I see the problem in some freak who wanted to take a little kd with such distinguishing features as that eye stuff that everyone knowf of, anywho, i find that abducting people is horribly silly. But i really do hope they find the little girl and the guy/gal responsible gets sent on therapy, since that is NOT okay to take someone else's child...i actually think its a she fellon...i have my reasons to believe that.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
May 9th, 2007 at 09:21am
Tasteful and Sublime:
hello, they said that the parents checked on the kids EVERY HALF AN HOUR. So i see no problem THERE. But I see the problem in some freak who wanted to take a little kd with such distinguishing features as that eye stuff that everyone knowf of, anywho, i find that abducting people is horribly silly. But i really do hope they find the little girl and the guy/gal responsible gets sent on therapy, since that is NOT okay to take someone else's child...i actually think its a she fellon...i have my reasons to believe that.

you should not leave a child alone even for 5 mins, yes we know that abducting people is "horribly silly" but it happens (in an ideal world it wouldnt) and why do you think its a "she fellon"? i would like to understand your reasons, men and women take children not just women you know
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
May 9th, 2007 at 10:39am
A lot of people seem to blame the parents for leaving the kids alone rather than the person who actually abducted her ._. they were yards away, checking the kids regularly and in a family friendly resort; yes leaving your three year old in the room isn't exactly ideal on paper, but the distance they were from them might be like having your kids play in the garden while you wash up, or sit on the bench while the kids are on the swings.
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
May 9th, 2007 at 10:39am
Tasteful and Sublime:

It's a lot more than "horribly silly", abducting a child is a serious and sickening crime. And in my opinion it is never okay to leave a young child alone for half an hour.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 10:44am
"Never okay to leave a child alone for half an hour."

Hmm. How young?
Alone as in alone in a house, or alone as in...alone in the front room while your mum has a shower?
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
May 9th, 2007 at 10:47am
Bloodraine:
"Never okay to leave a child alone for half an hour."

Hmm. How young?
Alone as in alone in a house, or alone as in...alone in the front room while your mum has a shower?

There isn't an exact age that fits everyone, everyone matures at diferent rates. But a three or four year old shouldn't be left in a room by themsleves for that length of time.
Register