Children who are going against their parents

AuthorMessage
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
July 13th, 2007 at 11:03pm
I respect both my parents.
I only speak to my mom a few times a month now, but I still respect her and when we do get to spend time together we have fun and there's no restriction on behaviour or language.
My dad's against swearing but that's fine with me, he only puts his foot down when something is completely unreasonable and that rarely ever happens.
Children who go against their parents will regret it in the future unless their parents have done something really unforgivable.
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
July 13th, 2007 at 11:34pm
Peardrops:
Children who go against their parents will regret it in the future unless their parents have done something really unforgivable.

I quite agree. I went through the whole "rebelling phase" last year, where I wanted to leave home and could't stand my parents, but now I've realised that it wasn't anything my parents had done, it was just me being arsey.
Now I have an even better relationship with my parents. They are the best friends I could ever have and it scares me that I almost threw that away.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
July 14th, 2007 at 12:08am
I think its because the kids/teens see themself as mature and independent, but the parents still see them as little kids, so then the kids start trying to look independent by not listening to there parents advice and ignoring rules they don't like, then the parents try to show the kids that they are still boss by yelling at them and bossing them around.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 14th, 2007 at 04:21am
It can really go either way.

It can be the parents' fault for not raising the kid right.
But it could also be the kid's fault for reasons like what their peers say...
And it could be a phase.
Domo
Geek
Domo
July 15th, 2007 at 01:48am
I think it's the kids fault.
Parent's cannot control their childrens behavior, no matter how hard they try.
Trust me, my sister was extremely hard headed. She would sneak out. We bought an alarm system, and she would still sneak out. She tried heroine, beer, sex and everything in between and beyond.
Parent's can't control what comes out of the kids mouth. It doesn't matter how well they rasied them, their peers can get farther in them then their parents can.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
July 15th, 2007 at 01:53am
Domo;;:

Parents educate their children.
That's parents job to teach them the good behavior.
Domo
Geek
Domo
July 15th, 2007 at 01:56am
Cecilia:
Domo;;:

Parents educate their children.
That's parents job to teach them the good behavior.

But, like I said, peers can get farther in the child then their parents can.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 15th, 2007 at 08:21pm
I'm moving back in with my parents in a month. -_-

Anyway, peers are often shown to exhibit a merely conditional friendship for their friends, the majority of parents love their child unconditionally and that is a bond that can never be taken away. That is why children need to learn that their parents only want the best for them.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
August 1st, 2007 at 04:36pm
Exactly. Parents nag and annoy the crap out of you but I'm sure we'll all thank them someday. Some day that's very far into the future...Shifty
schooldropout
Banned
schooldropout

Blog
August 1st, 2007 at 05:56pm
I never respected my old man and I don't respect my mum.
asthenia.
asthenia.

Blog
August 1st, 2007 at 07:50pm
Peardrops:

I'll have no regrets then. Con

I love it how my dad thinks I need therapy. He's always picking fights with me, and flat out lies about things I've supposedly done or said. And when I try to tell him that he's wrong [God forbid.] he pretty much goes into a fit of rage. I hardly speak to him. And he wonders why...either he's in denial or he's just completely oblivious to how much he's damaged the rest of my family, myself included. I'm just really bitter about all the things he's done. I've lost the little respect I ever had for him.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 02:57pm
I've been through hell with my parents and I've been put into situations which no child should ever even have to hear about and I still love them. It bugs me when teenagers think that after one arguement, they want to disown their parents.

In China, during the Cultural Revolution, children were forced to renounce their parents, or die with them. Pleanty died with their parents, something which I think would not happen with almost all children now. Family values mean less and less in this day and age.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
August 2nd, 2007 at 03:04pm
I dunno, if I had to either renounce my parents, or die with them, I'd die with them, I wouldn't even consider renouncing them. I think a lot of kids would do that. I can definatly think of a few that wouldn't, though, so I see what you mean, but I think to a lot of kids, they would die with their parents.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 03:08pm
I could never just leave them like that. From what I hear on this thread, pleanty of people would willingly do so. I just don't understand how many people who have lead decent lives because of their parents, dislike them for rather minor bickerings and can just block out two people who are so vital towards them being exactly who they are.
I_Wanna_B_The_Minority
King For A Couple Of Days
I_Wanna_B_The_Minority
August 6th, 2007 at 11:46pm
I couldn't ever go against my mum in such a way that would put our relationship at risk.
I've been through phases where I don't want to do what she says.
But nothing major.
We don't talk as much as I'd like but I respect her like how she respects me.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
August 7th, 2007 at 06:57pm
Me and my brother were talking to my dad the other day. We talk to him a lot and not just superficial "How ya doin' son/girl?" type shit. We talk.

So anyway, we usually move through a lot of topics and I brought up the whole "teenage phase" thing. I told him that in a lot of TV shows and books and things, they show teenagers withdrawing from parental interaction and there's always the message: "Have a healthy relationship with your family! =D" I mentioned that neither my brother nor I had that problem. We've always been close to our parents. So my dad told me that first of all, fourteen-fifteen years of age is the hardest time in a boy's life because apparently he went through the whole detachment phase.

He said a lot of people with professional careers (doctors,lawyers, excecutives)don't engage in the kind of father-child or mother-child relationship that we have with him. He said that they carry a sort of arrogance home from work and feel above family life. And that can sometimes cause a rift between parents and children. He pointed out his brothers in particular as examples.

I agree with Anji, though. How one can renounce their parents is beyond me. Juliet asked Romeo to deny his father and refuse his name for their love and if he couldn't, then she would. Maybe the play makes it seem like its easier for Juliet to give up her family, but I honestly doubt that in a real-life situation they would even consider giving up their parents.
The Last Firstborn.
Addict
The Last Firstborn.
August 8th, 2007 at 02:00am
It's their parents fault for not showing them any respect whatsoever. Kids, these days curse, yell, they'll do practically anything, ignore what is needed to be done, etc. I'm sure it happens to everyone around the same age group, usually around the adolescents.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 8th, 2007 at 03:10pm
The Last Firstborn.:
It's their parents fault for not showing them any respect whatsoever. Kids, these days curse, yell, they'll do practically anything, ignore what is needed to be done, etc. I'm sure it happens to everyone around the same age group, usually around the adolescents.
I think that the fact that the parents at least kept their kids, is respect enough. That they bother to give them a home, a family, food, a computer, I don't know if you have any kids, but when you do, you'll maybe realise how difficult it is to be a parent and how easy it is to just give up before you've even started.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
August 8th, 2007 at 06:18pm
I think it all comes down to nuture but I honestly could never disobey my parents; they're not that tough on me any way.

If a child sees their parents giving no respect to other people, then they too will pick up those traits and habits.

I couldn't imagine lying to my parents. I've never been through the "teenage" phase of deceit and sneaking around and stuff. My parents always know where I am, who I'm with, and I will tell them most of what I get up to in my day, but then they have no reason to discipline me for it because I don't do stupid things that'll get me into trouble. I have fun but making sure it's no harm to anyone else.

It upsets me when I see children speak badly of their parents, sure they ask you to tidy your room but someone has to do it. Sure, they won't let you go to a concert, but have you ever thought they're just concerned? A lot of the time parents don't want to let go of their children and see them grow up, so maybe you're ready for it before they are. You've just got to be patient. These are the people that gave you a roof over your head, food to eat and clothes to wear for so many years of your life.

I can think of a few exceptions when you children have an excuse to not like their parents, but if it's for simple things like what I mentioned before I think it's just ridiculous.
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
August 8th, 2007 at 09:23pm
I think, for most teenagers, rebellion is a part of growing up. I believe that in most cases, however stressful it may be for the parent and kids, there's a certain degree of necessity about rebelling. I think it helps you to learn your own boundaries, your own beliefs, and who you care about. I mean, when you're young, for example, you might get your ears pierced against your parents' wishes, but it isn't a huge deal in the long run - hopefully you'll grow to realise, yeah, you shouldn't have done it, but it's over with. That kind of thing.

But when it becomes violent, or illegal, then that is rebelling, I think that suggests there's something wrong that needs to be sorted out, and fast.

I know a lot of people will say they haven't been through that 'angsty' phase, and I haven't myself particularly, but a lot do, and if they pass out of I think it helps them.

Hope I'm clear about what I'm saying...
Register