The obesity issue

AuthorMessage
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 5th, 2006 at 04:00pm
crimson_rose_91:
It should be made clearer that they are for people who are genuinely obese, perhaps they should give you the figures according to your height, weight and age to show when you are actually overweight. (if that makes sense)

You could use a BMI (body mass index).
crimson_rose_91
Jackass
crimson_rose_91
March 5th, 2006 at 04:02pm
Bloodraine:
crimson_rose_91:
It should be made clearer that they are for people who are genuinely obese, perhaps they should give you the figures according to your height, weight and age to show when you are actually overweight. (if that makes sense)

Thats what I meant, I'm not good at this Rolling Eyes
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 5th, 2006 at 04:03pm
crimson_rose_91:

BMI is a good way of working out whether you really do have a weight problem.

I don't think I do seeing as my BMI is in the 'Normal' category. That's good enough for me.
Ilse
Falling In Love With The Board
Ilse
March 5th, 2006 at 04:42pm
Message to America:
PUT DOWN THE FORK!
crimson_rose_91
Jackass
crimson_rose_91
March 5th, 2006 at 04:48pm
Bloodraine:
crimson_rose_91:

I don't think I do seeing as my BMI is in the 'Normal' category. That's good enough for me.

It said mine was normal but that was ages ago! But I havent really put on weight since then so it should be okay!
iGot_moXXie
Geek
iGot_moXXie
March 5th, 2006 at 05:08pm
crimson_rose_91:
Tré! At The Disco:
crimson_rose_91:
I think if someones overweight and its putting their health at risk or whatever then I think they should diet.
But personally I think its better to see someone who looks like they eat than see someone whos really skinny. These days theres too much pressure on people to be skinny and that can make people get eating dissorders. All you have to do is open a magazine and thers some kind of diet for young girls in it.

Yes, but those so called 'diets' are for the girls who really need them. The teens that are trying those things just to become sickly skinny, then that's their problem. Obesity is the issue, not low self esteemed young girls.

True, but I know loads of girls who have seen these diets and then decided that they are too fat and gone on them Rolling Eyes It should be made clearer that they are for people who are genuinely obese, perhaps they should give you the figures according to your height, weight and age to show when you are actually overweight. (if that makes sense)

I completely agree. But! They sometimes do do that. They give you you requirements for a specific diet, and that's very smart. Smile
iGot_moXXie
Geek
iGot_moXXie
March 5th, 2006 at 05:12pm
September_has_Ended:
Message to America:
PUT DOWN THE FORK!

That's basically what we;ve been saying.. only in fewer words.. lol Good Job! Get it across!
iGot_moXXie
Geek
iGot_moXXie
March 5th, 2006 at 05:19pm
Bloodraine:
crimson_rose_91:

How do you figure out you BMI? We did it in health once, and I was underweight, but I dunno about now;I don't remember....
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 6th, 2006 at 11:04am
Tré! At The Disco:
How do you figure out you BMI? We did it in health once, and I was underweight, but I dunno about now;I don't remember....

Use this

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Just type in your height and weight and away you go.
derpina
Falling In Love With The Board
derpina

Mibba Blog
March 6th, 2006 at 01:09pm
paradoxical:
my school doesnt allow us to use the soda machines during school hours...they unplug it or something i dont know...but its not that effective since ppl just bring stuff with them to school...

yah, its the same with my school too.
PEBBLES.ROCK
Geek
PEBBLES.ROCK
March 6th, 2006 at 01:10pm
shit underweight i have a BMI of 18.4 n the normal is 18.5 :/
heyyitsmichelle
Geek
heyyitsmichelle
March 18th, 2006 at 07:50pm
Obesity is for a number of reasons, depression could be one. People eat and eat when they become depressed, and not healthy foods either. Another could be thyroid problems or illnesses that doesn't let you lose weight as quickly as other people can. Some people decide to pick cake instead of a healthy alternative such as an apple. I think its stupid how people are suing companys for making them fat. They chose to eat their food! I also think healthy habits come from the home. Introducing fruits, veggies, wheat breads instead of white and such at a young age will carry through when they are adults. Its ok to have sweets once in a while but in moderation. Stick to the serving size on junk food instead of eating 2-3 servings each time you eat it.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
March 19th, 2006 at 12:40pm
shit i'm 33.7 Embarassed
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 19th, 2006 at 12:47pm
I think mine was around 21...Not that that has any great contribution to the debate.
JESSY NIGHTMARE
Idiot
JESSY NIGHTMARE
March 19th, 2006 at 02:19pm
Fuck I'm 26.5. Embarassed
I need to go work out.
blood
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
blood
March 19th, 2006 at 05:14pm
Bloodraine:
crimson_rose_91:

that doesnt always work, look at famous rugby players for example, I'll use Johnny Wilkinson, His bmi says he is overweight, but looking at him, its cos he's all muslce, he isnt fat at all.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 19th, 2006 at 05:18pm
blood:
that doesnt always work, look at famous rugby players for example, I'll use Johnny Wilkinson, His bmi says he is overweight, but looking at him, its cos he's all muslce, he isnt fat at all.

But we're not all rugby players are we?

BMI works for 99.9% of normal people.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
March 19th, 2006 at 06:12pm
people being big can be big for various reasons some depression, some lack of care, some the parents, even for clinical reasons but i think they all need help, i am over weight and i will admit that, i am loosing wheight fast like since january i have lost 2st since then. And i feel so much better and i am able to run about with the kids and i think that is important.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 31st, 2006 at 01:02am
I think most of the obesity has something to do with the media. Back then, kids had to walk to school, and played outside a lot. Nowadays, you sit on the computer all day and eat. You're not getting any food burned off. People need to learn a balance between being on the computer and exercising. I like to take advantage of summer because it's hot and you can go swimming... and that's exercise. There are really skinny people out there that have me baffled, but I realize that they are skinny because they are extremely active. Back to the obesity issue, it can't be stopped unless they make computers and TVs illegal.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
July 31st, 2006 at 01:40pm
Rockaholic380:
I think most of the obesity has something to do with the media. Back then, kids had to walk to school, and played outside a lot. Nowadays, you sit on the computer all day and eat. You're not getting any food burned off. People need to learn a balance between being on the computer and exercising. I like to take advantage of summer because it's hot and you can go swimming... and that's exercise. There are really skinny people out there that have me baffled, but I realize that they are skinny because they are extremely active. Back to the obesity issue, it can't be stopped unless they make computers and TVs illegal.

its not all computers and tv
some people like myself or hevier because of genetics , some people are heavy because of other medical issues they can't help being 'fat'. I'm an active person , i don't run 3 miles everyday but i don't sit around and eat everything in the kitchen either.
Register