The Obesity Jab

AuthorMessage
eberneezer_egghead
Falling In Love With The Board
eberneezer_egghead
August 3rd, 2005 at 11:18am
I just found some information on the new "obesity jab".

Injections of a gut hormone which switches off appetite helps overweight people lose pounds, a study has found.
A team from Imperial College say the four-week trial suggested oxyntomodulin - naturally found in the intestine - could be a new way of tackling obesity.

The research in Diabetes said those on the hormone lost an average of 2.3kg (5lbs) in four weeks, compared to 0.5kg (1lb) for those on a dummy treatment.

Experts said more studies were needed to confirm the hormone's benefits.

Dr Ian Campbell, National Obesity Forum

Oxyntomodulin is normally released from the small intestine as food is consumed.

It tells the brain not to eat any more at the end of a meal when the body has had enough to eat.

The researchers, from Imperial College and Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust, studied the effect of boosting people's oxyntomodulin levels.

I personally think this idea of an Obesity Jab is ridiculous. Yes, the government is trying to tackle the obesity issue over here, but why a jab? Why can't they think of another way? Obese people should want to lose weight anyway. Personally I think they should carry on thinking of ideas for an AIDS jab, first.
Roshambo™
Idiot
Roshambo™
August 3rd, 2005 at 12:00pm
thats cool, but i agree that we should be working on AIDS before obesity
eberneezer_egghead
eberneezer_egghead
August 3rd, 2005 at 03:13pm
iwroteholdencaulfield:
thats cool, but i agree that we should be working on AIDS before obesity
Me too. And obese people shouldnt have eaten so much in the first place.
Kitti
Kitti
August 3rd, 2005 at 03:28pm
the way i see it, there wouldnt be an obesity "problem" if people took care of themselves. you can blame genetics, you can blame whatever you want, but when it comes down to it, its not about how much you weigh, its about being healthy. if you take care of yourself, you will be healthy. so there. plllt!
Danger_of_the_waters
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Danger_of_the_waters
August 3rd, 2005 at 03:39pm
hmmm you read in the papers that there's people taking legal action against McDonalds for making them fat.....

the world's gone mad....

What about a cure for cancer rather then a cure for being fat....
Kitti
Kitti
August 3rd, 2005 at 03:41pm
yeah. thats why they have salads and stuff now...
greendaynerd
Geek
greendaynerd
August 3rd, 2005 at 03:54pm
fat people eat even when they arent hungry,so i dont know if an injection will really help
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 3rd, 2005 at 06:41pm
I don't think that's a very good idea. People should learn to rely on them selves to know when enough is enough. We should know when the line has been crossed. In this case, we can't have people taking drugs and stuff and depending on them soley to loose weight.

Also, there must be some kind of side affect. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 3rd, 2005 at 06:43pm
Danger_of_the_waters:
hmmm you read in the papers that there's people taking legal action against McDonalds for making them fat.....

the world's gone mad....

What about a cure for cancer rather then a cure for being fat....
Sueing McDonalds because their coffe is too hot. This is ridiculous. People now-a-days assume that if you want something, then you really can get it.
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
August 3rd, 2005 at 06:52pm
OMG OKAY PEOPLE!!! LISTEN CAREFULLY!
Obesity...genetics ARE a cause...also...what you eat...there are things put into foods to make you hungry...and to make you get fat.....why? because the government wants money....diet pills...do not help you lose weight..some do nothing...and others will actually make you fatter.....cancer...there is already a cure....there is also a cure for AIDS...herpes...and many other things...it is or is not right to sue mcdonalds for making you fat...thats a personal choice i'd say....you are misinformed as to what foods do to you so there it might be right to sue....but on the other hand you could be informing yourself and it was your choice to eat mcdonalds...in that case suing them is wrong...it's all your own choice...even whether or not oyu are fat...if you don't want to be obese stay away from ALL restaraunts...don't buy packaged food.....if you do read the labels...know what is actually in the food...if you do that it will do you good...im still going with the best idea on fighting disease and being fat is to make your own garden....raise your own animals....don't give them growth hormones...fertelizers...grown them naturally.
that's my rant on this
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 3rd, 2005 at 06:59pm
rar:
Obesity...genetics ARE a cause...also...what you eat...there are things put into foods to make you hungry...and to make you get fat.....why? because the government wants money....diet pills...do not help you lose weight..some do nothing...and others will actually make you fatter.....cancer...there is already a cure....there is also a cure for AIDS...herpes...and many other things...it is or is not right to sue mcdonalds for making you fat...thats a personal choice i'd say....you are misinformed as to what foods do to you so there it might be right to sue....but on the other hand you could be informing yourself and it was your choice to eat mcdonalds...in that case suing them is wrong...it's all your own choice...even whether or not oyu are fat...if you don't want to be obese stay away from ALL restaraunts...don't buy packaged food.....if you do read the labels...know what is actually in the food...if you do that it will do you good...im still going with the best idea on fighting disease and being fat is to make your own garden....raise your own animals....don't give them growth hormones...fertelizers...grown them naturally.
that's my rant on this
Looks like we have a conspiratist here. Very Happy
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
King For A Couple Of Days
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
August 3rd, 2005 at 07:01pm
I definately agree that people need to be thinking about AIDS rather than obesity. I guess we do need a solution for those who genuinely need it but it will be so overused....think of the amount of teenage girls that will illeagally get hold of it...
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
August 3rd, 2005 at 07:04pm
Anji:
rar:
that's my rant on this

lol
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 3rd, 2005 at 07:09pm
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
I definately agree that people need to be thinking about AIDS rather than obesity. I guess we do need a solution for those who genuinely need it but it will be so overused....think of the amount of teenage girls that will illeagally get hold of it...
I believe AIDS is way more of an important issue than obessity. I mean, who would you feel more sorry for, an orphaned boy in Africa, or a fat one who half-lives in a McDonalds? Rolling Eyes

I don't think people should use this obiesity jab thingy. Sounds fishy to me.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 3rd, 2005 at 07:19pm
i say fuck them, they can take care of their own little chubs, focus on AIDS.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 4th, 2005 at 12:24am
seeing as colectively the world spends over 5 trillion in money to help doctors try and find a cure for aids, you can rest assure there doing all there can.

Think of it this way, a jab for obesity would help tackle diabetes, diabetes among other thing also hurts your immune system because of the sugar levels in your blood. The HIV virus is a defiancy in the immune system

All medical foundations are the same, you cure one disease, you've already the got your foot in the door for curing the next.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 4th, 2005 at 01:09am
true,

but as much as you are right, people need to be more cautois of their own health instead of having doctors and lawyers do it for them
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 4th, 2005 at 01:14am
zdf_jammin:
true,

but as much as you are right, people need to be more cautois of their own health instead of having doctors and lawyers do it for them

I completely agree, but for diabete sufferers, where their weight gain is through ill health, obesitys jabs could be the difference between life and death.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 4th, 2005 at 01:16am
of course, i know exactly what you mean, its horrible, my dad has it. but i mean, hes been able to shed pounds. but i dont blame the people who have diabetes, but the ones who are just plain lazy....
eberneezer_egghead
eberneezer_egghead
August 5th, 2005 at 03:42pm
Anji:
rar:
that's my rant on this
Theres only a cure for AIDS for nurses...
Register