The Obesity Jab

AuthorMessage
s0dapop_and_ritalin
Geek
s0dapop_and_ritalin
November 20th, 2005 at 07:33pm
eberneezer_egghead:
I just found some information on the new "obesity jab".

Injections of a gut hormone which switches off appetite helps overweight people lose pounds, a study has found.
A team from Imperial College say the four-week trial suggested oxyntomodulin - naturally found in the intestine - could be a new way of tackling obesity.

The research in Diabetes said those on the hormone lost an average of 2.3kg (5lbs) in four weeks, compared to 0.5kg (1lb) for those on a dummy treatment.

Experts said more studies were needed to confirm the hormone's benefits.

Dr Ian Campbell, National Obesity Forum

Oxyntomodulin is normally released from the small intestine as food is consumed.

It tells the brain not to eat any more at the end of a meal when the body has had enough to eat.

The researchers, from Imperial College and Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust, studied the effect of boosting people's oxyntomodulin levels.

I personally think this idea of an Obesity Jab is ridiculous. Yes, the government is trying to tackle the obesity issue over here, but why a jab? Why can't they think of another way? Obese people should want to lose weight anyway. Personally I think they should carry on thinking of ideas for an AIDS jab, first.

..or a cancer jab
Shenanigans
Jackass
Shenanigans
November 21st, 2005 at 07:09pm
It ok for u lot to say "Oh there fat they eat junk food". Sure im a bit over weight but i dont eat junk, meat, fizzy crap, hey i hardly eat anythink cos im never hungry. Theres other reason why ppl cant lose weight like family history such as thyroids when there under active its extremely hard to lose weight. Sure alot of ppl are always in McDonalds and Burger King wherever you want to go but theres a small chance it isnt because of a wrong diet so just think bout it -_-
Bamf!
Jackass
Bamf!
November 21st, 2005 at 07:43pm
Ok. Why waste time on spending money on people that have nothing else to do but eat on their fat asses all day. I say you should be looking for something actually IMPORTANT! Personally I could care less about those fat ass bastards that are too damn lazy to pull their weight around and excersise every once in a while.
HavingAGreenDay
Falling In Love With The Board
HavingAGreenDay

Mibba
December 9th, 2005 at 01:39am
You guys are ignorant. Some people have medical conditions that make them overweight. Some people are also born with a 'fat gene'. It can be caused by genetics or also it can be caused by thyroid problems. Which is the gland in your throat. And if you've lived a stressful life then that gland is strained and it makes you suseptible to being overweight.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
December 9th, 2005 at 04:31am
HavingAGreenDay:
You guys are ignorant. Some people have medical conditions that make them overweight. Some people are also born with a 'fat gene'. It can be caused by genetics or also it can be caused by thyroid problems. Which is the gland in your throat. And if you've lived a stressful life then that gland is strained and it makes you suseptible to being overweight.

i am size 10 and my husband has got a problem with his thyroid that makes him big, some people can't help it.

Also the medication that my son is on makes him feal hungry ALL the time even after he has had a big meal, so yes i agree some people are ignorant and they really think about medical conditions before saying that people who are fat it's they're fault because it's not always, i agree that some people are lazy and should get out and excersise but some people cant.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 9th, 2005 at 03:19pm
HavingAGreenDay:

Don't cast such broad and shallow aspersions about us all.

I'm not saying that people cannot be obese through no fault of their own. But compare the proportion of people who are overweight through their own indulgence to those who cannot help it. The vast, vast (pardon the pun) majority of obese people are simply that way because its their own damn fault. Should we be spending a huge amopunt of cash curing them? No. Should we try to help the others who have no choice in the matter? Nobody is saying we shouldn't.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
December 9th, 2005 at 03:23pm
Bloodraine:
HavingAGreenDay:

I'm not saying that people cannot be obese through no fault of their own. But compare the proportion of people who are overweight through their own indulgence to those who cannot help it. The vast, vast (pardon the pun) majority of obese people are simply that way because its their own damn fault. Should we be spending a huge amopunt of cash curing them? No. Should we try to help the others who have no choice in the matter? Nobody is saying we shouldn't.

then you can say should we be helping people who drink themselves stupid or smoke themselves stupid? If you smole a lot and you have a lung operation and you are told to stop smoking is it right then if they dont the doctors refuse to treat them again?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 9th, 2005 at 03:29pm
tre_cool_is_god:
Bloodraine:
HavingAGreenDay:

I'm not saying that people cannot be obese through no fault of their own. But compare the proportion of people who are overweight through their own indulgence to those who cannot help it. The vast, vast (pardon the pun) majority of obese people are simply that way because its their own damn fault. Should we be spending a huge amount of cash curing them? No. Should we try to help the others who have no choice in the matter? Nobody is saying we shouldn't.

then you can say should we be helping people who drink themselves stupid or smoke themselves stupid? If you smole a lot and you have a lung operation and you are told to stop smoking is it right then if they dont the doctors refuse to treat them again?

We're meandering off topic but...Yes. I belive that no man, doctor or not, has the right to play the role of 'God' with a persons life.

Everybody deserves to be helped.

From the people with thyroid disorders right down to the dirty, theiving herion addicts on the streets.

For the record, in my post I was talking exclusively about the people with Obesity.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
December 9th, 2005 at 03:31pm
Bloodraine:
tre_cool_is_god:
Bloodraine:
HavingAGreenDay:

I'm not saying that people cannot be obese through no fault of their own. But compare the proportion of people who are overweight through their own indulgence to those who cannot help it. The vast, vast (pardon the pun) majority of obese people are simply that way because its their own damn fault. Should we be spending a huge amount of cash curing them? No. Should we try to help the others who have no choice in the matter? Nobody is saying we shouldn't.

We're meandering off topic but...Yes. I belive that no man, doctor or not, has the right to play the role of 'God' with a persons life.

Everybody deserves to be helped.

From the people with thyroid disorders right down to the dirty, theiving herion addicts on the streets.

For the record, in my post I was talking exclusively about the people with Obesity.

ok then sorry. yes we should help them.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 9th, 2005 at 03:33pm
I'm glad we agree Wink
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
December 9th, 2005 at 03:35pm
Bloodraine:
I'm glad we agree Wink

you allways bring sense into a disscussion. Smile
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 9th, 2005 at 03:36pm
Why thank you. *Blushes*
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
December 9th, 2005 at 03:43pm
Bloodraine:
Why thank you. *Blushes*
this is why i like coming on here *i know this is going of topic but hey i'm gonna say it anyway* i like the way people will put they're side of disscussions across without resorting to name calling and bitching at each other.

All i can say is that i must be getting softer.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
June 13th, 2006 at 01:03pm
okay, bringing this back on topic, yes there are people with problems that can make them overweight, but you would think scientists would be more concerned about making cures for something more life threataining like cancer or AIDS or something as opposed to obeisity which, more often than not, is their own fault anyway, obviously excluding people with medical conditions.
rolypoly_punk
Idiot
rolypoly_punk
June 13th, 2006 at 02:45pm
zdf_jammin:
i say fuck them, they can take care of their own little chubs, focus on AIDS.

AMEN BROTHER AMEN! haven't they evr gone to the outside world to EXERCISE?! Rolling Eyes
rolypoly_punk
Idiot
rolypoly_punk
June 13th, 2006 at 02:47pm
HavingAGreenDay:

ok fine i agree with that. we can have a cure for them, but the people who don't have that gene can exercise themselves!
mybassgoesdirntdirntdirnt
Geek
mybassgoesdirntdirntdirnt

Mibba
June 18th, 2006 at 03:17am
don't cast a shadow over all of us. i'm not obesse, but i'm not skinny eather. i'm fat, and yes, i addmit it proudly. i'm comfortable with myself so why should everyone pressure me to be what they want me to be? i'm myself. I use my body to rebel aganst hollywoods version of the "Best body" i say fuck them. Fat people are just as beautiful as bone skinny people. god made all of us different. everyone's different in one way or another. be it race, hair color, eye color, size, likes and dislike, ect. among other things. i hate it when people think they can pick on us just because we are easy to spot, and they think we are weak. well, i'll tell you all something. we are some of the srtongest people out there, maybe not physically, but emotinally we are because we've had to go through more shit than you skinny people. you know, losing weight is harder than you think. and you shouldn't talk about it as if it were as easy as walking or breathing.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2006 at 10:57am
Sayide. =]:
Ok. Why waste time on spending money on people that have nothing else to do but eat on their fat asses all day. I say you should be looking for something actually IMPORTANT! Personally I could care less about those fat ass bastards that are too damn lazy to pull their weight around and excersise every once in a while.

Raspa Watch your mouth. Have you ever heard of eating disorders? Just curious, because the way you make it sound, if you are overweight, your a horrible person. Sometime they can't help it, it's a mental disorder. Compulsive Eating Nersova,Binge Eating, Stress Eating, they can't help it. Some people have medical issues that prevent them from losing weight. Thyroid problems, Diebetic people can have trouble with their weight as well.

Obesity Kills people. It's harmful to your health. It can cause heart problems and all kids of things, why shouldnt we be trying to stop it? AIDS and Obesity research are two totally seperate things. Do you think someone with the knowledge of helping Obesity is going to know anything about AIDS research? No. They are two totally seperate feilds of research, and you can't say one is less important than the other because guess what, people die from Both.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
June 18th, 2006 at 01:22pm
its not as simple as 'the obese people shouldn't have eaten so much in the first place'

it can be a mental issue , i personally think my mother has it , granted she has now lost 60 lbs. , she constanly thinks about food

when she is happy , sad , excited , nervous

i do agree though that we need to focus more on AIDS , and reading a post on the first page

''I mean, who would you feel more sorry for, an orphaned boy in Africa, or a fat one who half-lives in a McDonalds?''

an orphan is an orphan , where it lives in Africa or in the US he/she is still a child with out family that can provide for them.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
June 18th, 2006 at 01:24pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Sayide. =]:

Raspa Watch your mouth. Have you ever heard of eating disorders? Just curious, because the way you make it sound, if you are overweight, your a horrible person. Sometime they can't help it, it's a mental disorder. Compulsive Eating Nersova,Binge Eating, Stress Eating, they can't help it. Some people have medical issues that prevent them from losing weight. Thyroid problems, Diebetic people can have trouble with their weight as well.

Obesity Kills people. It's harmful to your health. It can cause heart problems and all kids of things, why shouldnt we be trying to stop it? AIDS and Obesity research are two totally seperate things. Do you think someone with the knowledge of helping Obesity is going to know anything about AIDS research? No. They are two totally seperate feilds of research, and you can't say one is less important than the other because guess what, people die from Both.

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Register