Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 02:17am
I thought a chav was like Lady Sovereign. Only meaner looking.

That Lady Sovereign does have a catchy song though. Shake

I think the problem with this whole clique thing happens mostly online. Like, suppose there's someone you don't particularly like or don't agree with in real life. Online, you decided that they are a chav/emo/satanic murderer/random clique full of defined "losers"
peroxidesuicide
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
peroxidesuicide
June 14th, 2007 at 04:44am
i think it it really annoying. i'm called an emo and i dont care. but my sister is into all this rap crap stuff and stole my black hair dye and dyed it and pretends she's a goth when she really goes home and listens to all that 50 cent c-r-a-p. its so ANNOYING and then there's the Great Pretenders who pretend to be chav/girlie/neds/emo/goth etc. piss off, please
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 06:53am
What's wrong with dying your hair black and listening to rap? I have black hair and I listen to rap.

What you just said right there, " stole my black hair dye and dyed it and pretends she's a goth when she really goes home and listens to all that 50 cent c-r-a-p."

I believe that's a stereotype. Unless she actually does her makeup gothicly and claims she's a goth, which I doubt.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
June 14th, 2007 at 11:20am
lyrical_mess:
I thought a chav was like Lady Sovereign. Only meaner looking.

That Lady Sovereign does have a catchy song though. Shake

I think the problem with this whole clique thing happens mostly online. Like, suppose there's someone you don't particularly like or don't agree with in real life. Online, you decided that they are a chav/emo/satanic murderer/random clique full of defined "losers"

I don't think it's online, I think it's more at school or if you're in town and there's big groups of one group and they decide to start on another group.

I've never had any problems online in that way, but I'll get problems if I'm out and about, and the stuff I wear is really quite mainstream, so I've got no idea how they decide that I'm a goth from what I wear. (One time I was wearing a bright orange jumper with a pair of plain jeans, and apparently I was a goth?!?!?).
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 02:06pm
lyrical_mess:
What's wrong with dying your hair black and listening to rap? I have black hair and I listen to rap.

What you just said right there, " stole my black hair dye and dyed it and pretends she's a goth when she really goes home and listens to all that 50 cent c-r-a-p."

I believe that's a stereotype. Unless she actually does her makeup gothicly and claims she's a goth, which I doubt.
Even then, it's stereotyping that all goths doth not listen to '50 [C]ent c-r-a-p'.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 02:16pm
Flaming Phalanges!:
I don't think it's online, I think it's more at school or if you're in town and there's big groups of one group and they decide to start on another group.

I've never had any problems online in that way, but I'll get problems if I'm out and about, and the stuff I wear is really quite mainstream, so I've got no idea how they decide that I'm a goth from what I wear. (One time I was wearing a bright orange jumper with a pair of plain jeans, and apparently I was a goth?!?!?).
Stranger things have happened.

(March 13, 2003; The Flipsides, The Real MacKenzies, Rise Against, and the Mad Caddies play a show in Ottawa, Ontario after which a bunch of drunken sods beat up an innocent kid with a little yellow mohawk, an Adicts jacket, and some badges on his pants calling him a 'redneck'?! Seriously. I remember it vividly because I ended up with a bleeding ear from the scruff and Paul MacKenzie asked me if I was alright. Embarassed

Well, with him, I'm always alright.)
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
June 14th, 2007 at 07:04pm
So.. what, a chav is a wangster? lmfao
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
June 14th, 2007 at 07:57pm
Hahaha yeah, I think that sums it up. (If my interpretation of wangster is right).
CopperheaD
Geek
CopperheaD
June 15th, 2007 at 03:37pm
why do we need the whole package with people? If you listen to rock music you have to wear black and red or your not a punk? wtf? I'm a metalhead (as my boyfriend puts it) and i wear pink and bright clothes cause i want to.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
June 15th, 2007 at 05:58pm
I'd say you're a metalhead if you listen to metal, a punk if you listen to punk, or an emo if you listen to emo, etc.
But people associate emotions and appearance with them, now, and that's where the problem starts.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 16th, 2007 at 07:53am
Well, punk is a fashion. It was like that from the very beginning. Today`s punks are more into the whole spirit and music, but do you really think the Sex Pistols would cause so much drama if they didn't look how they looked and acted how they acted?
Dom
Jackass
Dom
June 16th, 2007 at 11:32am
Mudkip:
i listen to ALL types of music (not RnB though) and i'm a geek i mean i'd walk down the street listening to CB4 if i wanted to and the next track would be through the fire adn the flames (i love TTFATF more though) also i'm fed up with emo's saying "Oh its ok you don't have to like its your opinion." grr it makes me mad... cos most of them are just as air heady as some chavs and some chavs are ok, i kinda have a problem with emo's but most of them are ok. like i said i'm a geek i spend 20+ hours a week on world of warcraft i don't hurt anyone i listen to probobly something from every genere (not RnB)

- mudkip

ive got a level 70 warlock on world of warcraft. I dont go on much anymore though. I wouldnt say im a geek though.
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
June 16th, 2007 at 04:02pm
There seems to be a general stereotype that all metal fans are male and violent, and drink a lot.

Well, I love bands like Megadeth, Machine Head, Metallica, Bullet For My Valentine, Black Sabbath, Slipknot, etc, and I'm a 17 year old girl who likes pretty dresses and poetry, and doesn't drink.

I went to my cousin's wedding the other week, who loves going to shows, and likes the same sort of music as me (I can actually go to shows reasonably safely now, he's a copper and he's volunteered himself as a gigging buddy). When I started talking about what music I've been getting into, he looks at me strangely, then at my sister, and says 'seriously? You listen to that stuff?' Of course, I hadn't said a word all night, and was sat wearing pretty, strappy sandals, and I suppose I didn't look the part of a heavy metal fan.

I like suprising people, that's what's so great about being able to defy a stereotype. Very Happy
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 12:06am
Sandwich-Masta
Geek
Sandwich-Masta
June 17th, 2007 at 12:59am
I once called someone "emo", and my friend was like, "No he's not! Stereotypes are gay, anyway..." and immediately felt bad. I think that if you're going to describe someone, you should use more than just one word, and tailor your description to what that person is actually like.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 01:48pm
Songbird:
My God that is absolutely dreadful. How can anyone do something like that? Just because of the colour of their hair?!
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
June 17th, 2007 at 03:37pm
Anji:
Songbird:
My God that is absolutely dreadful. How can anyone do something like that? Just because of the colour of their hair?!

Oh believe me, it's possible.

I was given shit for about 3 years cos I had bright red hair, by a LOT of people. ...A lot of whom seemed to think I needed to be informed of my hair colour.

I say well done to them for not dying their hair. Yeah, it's bad that they're getting all this, but it'd be far worse to change who they are for the sake of other people's prejudices.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 03:42pm
I read about that, the poor family. Molly I guess humans stupidity really does have no boundaries.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 09:11pm
I know what it feels like.
I had red hair.

I was humiliated constantly at school. They gave me nicknames and always mentioned that I had red hair, as if I didn't know. People always told me never to dye my hair. But then there are those who make a spectacle of me and push me around. Wtf, why?
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
June 17th, 2007 at 09:48pm
Cos they're jealous that you can stand out from the crowd, perhaps? Whether you want to or not. If someone doesn't know your name, the 'ginger kid with the (other physical attriute) ' narrows it down a lot.

Don't tell them that the ginger gene actually came about because it was a mutated gene that's just been passed on and become normal now.

Something like that, it's coming up to 3am and I haven't studied biology in well over a year, you'll have to forgive me if some of that was wrong.
Register