Stereotypes, social groups & discrimination.

AuthorMessage
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 11:33pm
Shifty

I actually think red hair is really cool. Kind of hot, actually. But that's got nothing to do with this so...

WTF. I don't get it. Instead of just letting the family move everytime it gets out of hand, why aren't they talking to the bullies? I can understand a certain amount of bullying over brand names. That's just how some people are.

But since no one seems to understand this...negativity towards smexy red hair, why aren't they asking the kids involved? Because I am seriously curious to know why having red hair makes one a target for bullies.
December Cynic
Geek
December Cynic

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 02:14am
Quite honestly, I don't care for the anti-label crowd.
"Labels are for cans, not human beings."
Seriously, shut up. It's human nature to label things. What do you think your name is? It's a label. It labels you. We need labels or our minds would go bezerk. Deal with it.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 03:11pm
Prince Harry is a redhead. Fred and George Weasley are redheads. Penelope Anne Miller was a redhead. Some of the worlds most beloved people are red heads. I used to be one briefly.
Vanity
King For A Couple Of Days
Vanity
June 18th, 2007 at 10:15pm
Songbird:

That's horrible. I mean, that's really horrible. I've never heard of prejudices THAT extreme Molly
But more power to them for not cracking and changing their color.
I used to get made fun of by younger class men because I'd dye my hair bright red when I was in grade school. They'd say things like "quit putting blood in your hair. I bet her hair is sticky from all of the red Koolaid she throws in it." For a while everyone called me Koolaid.
I stopped dyeing my hair because they'd pick on me so much.
CopperheaD
Geek
CopperheaD
June 25th, 2007 at 01:23pm
I don't see why people see red hair as a negative, i think it's rare and beautiful and people should take a look at themselves before they bully other people out of boredom
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
June 26th, 2007 at 02:46pm
A real good friend of mine has red hair, and he was bullied for years because of it. He dyed his hair black sometime last year just so they'd stop, so instead of 'ginge' he just got 'emo fag' yelled at him instead.

Yeah.

It didn't happen to me, but it affected me pretty bad because I was particularly close to him back then, so in a way I understand directly how it affects people. I mean, people were bullying him that much he'd be in tears, just because he had red hair.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 27th, 2007 at 06:51am
I don't understand that. I am asking because I don't understand: why would you bully someone because of their hair color? I mean, its a natural color.

If you dye your hair acid green and people make fun of you, that's one thing. If you dye your hair black and you look utterly ridiculous, I can still see why you're getting made fun of. If you're gay and people are homophobic, its wrong, but I understand why you're being bullied.

But what the hell? Why redheads?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 27th, 2007 at 07:34am
lyrical_mess:
I don't understand that. I am asking because I don't understand: why would you bully someone because of their hair color? I mean, its a natural color.

If you dye your hair acid green and people make fun of you, that's one thing. If you dye your hair black and you look utterly ridiculous, I can still see why you're getting made fun of. If you're gay and people are homophobic, its wrong, but I understand why you're being bullied.

Why do people ever make fun of someone? No matter what they're mocking, its still pointless and silly and not needed. Its easier to see why sometimes, but it never really makes sense. Maybe it rasises their self esteem.
Mia-0210
Idiot
Mia-0210

Mibba Blog
June 28th, 2007 at 09:30am
Holy Crap, I just saw the greatest thing ever. It just made me laugh, and practically made my morning. I have no idea when this was, or why they did it, but newscasters actually did a whole freaking news story on the whole "emo" subculture.

Did anyone actually see it?
Hello Seattle.
Banned
Hello Seattle.
June 28th, 2007 at 09:42am
Medicated Lives:
Holy Crap, I just saw the greatest thing ever. It just made me laugh, and practically made my morning. I have no idea when this was, or why they did it, but newscasters actually did a whole freaking news story on the whole "emo" subculture.

That was the most ridiculous piece of shit I have ever seen.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
June 29th, 2007 at 01:17pm
Medicated Lives:

i saw this on VF a while ago. I thought it was the funniest and most ridculous thing i've ever seen.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
June 29th, 2007 at 04:17pm
I like how they used Adam and Andrew's song, which is supposed to be completely sarcastic..
Jay.
Geek
Jay.
July 3rd, 2007 at 10:35am
Labelling annoys me. So do teenies changing their look every year. I swear the teenies in my street started off Goth then hippy then chav then punk then emo. Why can’t they just be themselves?

I just call them teenage fads and fazes.

I do respect adults that have their own trends. At least they buy their clothes from thrift stores and/or make their own.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
July 3rd, 2007 at 10:47am
Jam:
Labelling annoys me. So do teenies changing their look every year. I swear the teenies in my street started off Goth then hippy then chav then punk then emo. Why can’t they just be themselves?

I do respect adults that have their own trends. At least they buy their clothes from thrift stores and/or make their own.

you hate labels but you call people teenies? maybe thats how they are - my personality changes from day to day along with the clothes i wear. Some days i dress in all dark clothes, other days i'm a rainbow. So i guess i'm a teenie. Retard I make some of the stuff i wear or atleast i add stuff to it and I'm only 14.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
July 3rd, 2007 at 12:03pm
lyrical_mess:

Because people are dumb. Con
Jay.
Geek
Jay.
July 4th, 2007 at 07:06am
ColleenStarship:
Jam:

you hate labels but you call people teenies? .

I call teenagers teenies. Thats just my local slang. Embarassed
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 5th, 2007 at 06:37pm
Jam:

I call teenagers teenies. Thats just my local slang. Embarassed
Teenager is still a lable, is it not? Just like adult, kid, adolescent, elder, ect. They're all names given to specific groups of people. Do you hate those lables too? I don't, they're needed. They help us to understand people. If someone was describing someone to you, labeling them as a teenager would be very different than talking about an elderly person, wouldn't it? Not all groups and lables are bad.
Jax.
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
Jax.
July 6th, 2007 at 05:35am
I think we should get over the whole labelling idea. From learning in sociology, we all group people into a few broad catagories, to make it easier for us to pass judgement quickly. You can say, "I don't do that", but I bet you do it subconciously. Even if it's just by looking at someone's shoes.
If someone labels you, you can either live up to that label (self fulfilling prophecy), or you can rebel from that label to prove people wrong (self negating prophecy). By doing that, you can change people's view of you.

As for racism and discrimination, that's just people's on beliefs and I think they're incredibley ignorant to judge people for a certain hair colour or something.
Cr!Xa_Punkrocker!
Geek
Cr!Xa_Punkrocker!
July 7th, 2007 at 06:41pm
Discrimination sucks!!!!
Domo
Geek
Domo
July 7th, 2007 at 08:20pm
Everyone has good arguments.
And I think you've changed my mind.
And I've examined myself, and I've found that I do do it.
Even if I don't like it, it's another flaw that we all have to live with.
Register