''Freedom has its limits''

AuthorMessage
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
February 13th, 2006 at 03:57pm
First, addressing the original topic: I believe very strongly that if you're offended, you should take a couple shots of Suckitupanddealizine. Nobody has ever given anybody else a guarantee that they'll never be offended. Belonging to a religion outside of Christianity does not enititle you to be exempt from jokes. Would people have laughed if the cartoons had caricatured Jesus? What makes one different from the other? Have the courage to say "I don't agree with this cartoon, but they have the right to their opinion." As speech goes, these were pretty tame anyway. Nothing too new or incendiary.

And now, about the Irish, etc. Blood is right, there's no use carping about what people did to each other hundreds of years ago. You can't do anything about it, and today's English didn't do it. However, Incubus has a point if it's still going on. I'll look about--I know depressingly little about anything happening in Ireland at any given time. But to bear a grudge for hundreds of years? Freaky.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
February 13th, 2006 at 03:57pm
Incubus:
tre_cool_is_god:
Incubus:
Bloodraine:
Incubus:
Well the Irish do that because it sort of our way of paying them back for all that shit they've put us through/ still are putting us through for the past 800 years. But its nothing personal...we just want to see them defeated in football and...war

Let's not start that crap all over again. I don't give a damn about what you did to us and what we did to you (Remeber, there are two sides to every story). It's all in the past. I have no time for any of it, but I was merely pointing out a fact.

Its not in the past. Its still happening, ever been to Belfast? I've lived there and trust me, all that shit is still going on.

incubus may i ask you are the IRA still in operation in irleland because soem people seem t think thatthey have been disbanded

You know I couldn't really tell ya. But changes are they're still at it, if not the offical IRA, then something similar, I don't think they'll ever be got rid of completlely until they've got what they want.

why cant everyone just get along and be happy?
a-dawg.
Falling In Love With The Board
a-dawg.
February 13th, 2006 at 03:59pm
tre_cool_is_god:
Incubus:
tre_cool_is_god:
Incubus:
Bloodraine:
Incubus:
Well the Irish do that because it sort of our way of paying them back for all that shit they've put us through/ still are putting us through for the past 800 years. But its nothing personal...we just want to see them defeated in football and...war

Let's not start that crap all over again. I don't give a damn about what you did to us and what we did to you (Remeber, there are two sides to every story). It's all in the past. I have no time for any of it, but I was merely pointing out a fact.

Its not in the past. Its still happening, ever been to Belfast? I've lived there and trust me, all that shit is still going on.

incubus may i ask you are the IRA still in operation in irleland because soem people seem t think thatthey have been disbanded

You know I couldn't really tell ya. But changes are they're still at it, if not the offical IRA, then something similar, I don't think they'll ever be got rid of completlely until they've got what they want.

Why can't the English give Ulster back to Ireland?
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
February 13th, 2006 at 04:00pm
dirtyhippie:
First, addressing the original topic: I believe very strongly that if you're offended, you should take a couple shots of Suckitupanddealizine. Nobody has ever given anybody else a guarantee that they'll never be offended. Belonging to a religion outside of Christianity does not enititle you to be exempt from jokes. Would people have laughed if the cartoons had caricatured Jesus? What makes one different from the other? Have the courage to say "I don't agree with this cartoon, but they have the right to their opinion." As speech goes, these were pretty tame anyway. Nothing too new or incendiary.

And now, about the Irish, etc. Blood is right, there's no use carping about what people did to each other hundreds of years ago. You can't do anything about it, and today's English didn't do it. However, Incubus has a point if it's still going on. I'll look about--I know depressingly little about anything happening in Ireland at any given time. But to bear a grudge for hundreds of years? Freaky.
It is still going on. Go to www.rte.ie and search "Sectarian Attacks". You'll find news stories.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 13th, 2006 at 04:00pm
xAiffoXKorrx:
tre_cool_is_god:
Incubus:
tre_cool_is_god:
Incubus:
Bloodraine:
Incubus:

i was just asking mtself that aswell but i am not english. On a lighter note why dont we lobby tonyblair?
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
February 13th, 2006 at 04:01pm
tre_cool_is_god:
xAiffoXKorrx:
tre_cool_is_god:
Incubus:
tre_cool_is_god:
Incubus:
Bloodraine:
Incubus:

i was just asking mtself that aswell but i am not english. On a lighter note why dont we lobby tonyblair?
Hmm, yeah.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 13th, 2006 at 04:05pm
xAiffoXKorrx:

Because it would only make things worse, the unionists would start doing what the IRA are doing to be part of Britian again
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
February 13th, 2006 at 04:05pm
xAiffoXKorrx:
It is still going on. Go to www.rte.ie and search "Sectarian Attacks". You'll find news stories.

...Well. Jebus Cristo. Thanks, I think...now I'm more informed but depressed.

No, seriously, muchas gracias.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
February 13th, 2006 at 04:10pm
Incubus:
xAiffoXKorrx:

Because it would only make things worse, the unionists would start doing what the IRA are doing to be part of Britian again
True, but we were just discussing the topic of Ulster. I was quoting a question that has been voiced many times.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
February 13th, 2006 at 04:11pm
dirtyhippie:
xAiffoXKorrx:

...Well. Jebus Cristo. Thanks, I think...now I'm more informed but depressed.

No, seriously, muchas gracias.
I know, not happy stories.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 13th, 2006 at 04:11pm
xAiffoXKorrx:
Incubus:
xAiffoXKorrx:

True, but we were just discussing the topic of Ulster. I was quoting a question that has been voiced many times.

and on the subject of land issues i awnt the parts of england that used to belong to wales and welsh is the oldest spoken langauge in europe yes even older than galic!
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 13th, 2006 at 04:14pm
xAiffoXKorrx:
Incubus:
xAiffoXKorrx:

Yeah I know, that was my rehearsed answer...I've given it so many times its lost most of its meaning...This is getting depressing...
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 13th, 2006 at 04:15pm
xAiffoXKorrx:
Incubus:

Yeah, you don't live in Ireland and watch the Irish news where petrol bombs are being tossed into houses every single fucking day.

Warning: Big off-topic post ahead.

English people throw petrol bombs at you in Belfast? Confused

That's a new one. I don't know if you've ever been to Blackburn, but we have a large Irish community and there's never been any petrol bombs thrown at them. So yes, blame me and my English heritage for slaughtering you for 800 years, forget that you wern't angels, remain apathetic. Don't be bitter. I've actually heard the 800 years rubbish sprouted so many times it makes me sick to hear it being bleated again.

And I don't even know why I care, seeing as 800 years ago my ancestors were nowhere near English or England in general.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
February 13th, 2006 at 04:15pm
Incubus:
xAiffoXKorrx:
Incubus:
xAiffoXKorrx:

Yeah I know, that was my rehearsed answer...I've given it so many times its lost most of its meaning...This is getting depressing...
Yeah... God, I'm not used to this country.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 13th, 2006 at 04:19pm
Bloodraine:
xAiffoXKorrx:
Incubus:

Yeah, you don't live in Ireland and watch the Irish news where petrol bombs are being tossed into houses every single fucking day.

That's a new one. I don't know if you've ever been to Blackburn, but we have a large Irish community and there's never been any petrol bombs thrown at them. So yes, blame me and my English heritage for slaughtering you for 800 years, forget that you wern't angels, remain apathetic. Don't be bitter. I've actually heard the 800 years rubbish sprouted so many times it makes me sick to hear it being bleated again.

And I don't even know why I care, seeing as 800 years ago my ancestors were nowhere near English or England in general.

No not english people, its more catholics vs. Protestants, nationalists vs. unionists.
And like I said before its nothing personal against all English people, it's just hard not to feel "bitter" when you have to live through that "rubbish"
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
Bloodraine:
xAiffoXKorrx:
Incubus:

Don't be bitter? Don't be bitter that millions of our ancestors died in a poorly handled famine? And if it weren't for the British colonization 800 years ago the Troubles wouldn't necesssarily exist.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
If you want to make a topic about the IRA or Ireland/England please do so, but don't go off topic in this one.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 13th, 2006 at 04:20pm
xAiffoXKorrx:
Don't be bitter? Don't be bitter that millions of our ancestors died in a poorly handled famine? And if it weren't for the British colonization 800 years ago the Troubles wouldn't necesssarily exist.

Don't be bitter because it happened 800 years ago. They're dead, they're buried and they're gone. Let go.

But I think you should make a new topic for this, certainly an emotive subject.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 13th, 2006 at 04:20pm
NeoSteph:
If you want to make a topic about the IRA or Ireland/England please do so, but don't go off topic in this one.

Ok, I'll go do that.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 13th, 2006 at 04:22pm
NeoSteph:

sorry neosteph i think i may have started this off topic arguement.
Register