Prison Conditions

AuthorMessage
I.Heart.Panic.
King For A Couple Of Days
I.Heart.Panic.
April 14th, 2006 at 03:16pm
Hi.
Well I was in the car and we had the radio on. The news came on, and they said that in a prison in England [I think it was Nottingham?] has very, very bad conditions. They've had an inspection or something, and the inspectors have decided that the conditions the prisons are 'living' in are atrocious. They had prisoners interviewed and they told the reporters that they often didn't have pillows or toilet seats etc.
Also, many of the prisoners complained that they were being or had been bullied by other prisoners, and this was leading to self-harm and suicide.
They were saying that they might get counsellors in to help those being bullied, and the conditions need to be improved immediately, and by a .
I just want to know what you think about this. Because, I mean, these are prisoners. Criminals. These people commit crimes, do they deserve to live like us?
Or is it basic human right to be living in good conditions?
Murderers, rapists, thieves, etc. Do they deserve nice bed covers and televisions and good food?
In my opinion...I think that they should have beds, and toilets, etc., but not televisions or anything like that.
Move this thread if it's a duplicate, I did search but didn't find anything that matched this. What do you guys think???
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 03:18pm
Criminals are people too.
They deserve a basic standard of living and violating any human's basic rights to life is not on.

But what I don't think they deserve, is to live in relative luxury, that is not punishment.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 03:20pm
Prison isnt a five star hotel. Murders don't deserve pillows. They dont deserve a bed to sleep on, they should be thankful they are even alive. I know the Governor Of Missouri recently passed a law removing all electronical entertainment devices from Missouri prisions and donated them to youth centers.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 03:22pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
They dont deserve a bed to sleep on, they should be thankful they are even alive.

Shocked

Doesn't that depend on the crime?

Shoplifitng is a crime, and you can be put in prison for that, but do you deserve no bed to sleep on or deserve to die because of it?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 03:25pm
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
They dont deserve a bed to sleep on, they should be thankful they are even alive.

Shocked

Doesn't that depend on the crime?

Shoplifitng is a crime, and you can be put in prison for that, but do you deserve no bed to sleep on or deserve to die because of it?

I was talking about murders, I said that in the sentence above Shocked I should have been more specific.

Yeah, Pfft, you stole gum, GET OFF THAT BED!
that would be a bit extreme. Your conditions should depend on the crime.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 03:30pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
I was talking about murders, I said that in the sentence above Shocked I should have been more specific.

Pffft, serves me right for skim reading Rolling Eyes
This kinda ties in with the death penalty issue but I still think everyone should be treated equally in prison. If you don't, then you get an 'All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others' thing going on...
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 03:34pm
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:

Pffft, serves me right for skim reading Rolling Eyes
This kinda ties in with the death penalty issue but I still think everyone should be treated equally in prison. If you don't, then you get an 'All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others' thing going on...

Im sorry, but a rapist and someone with too many parking tickets will never be equal to me. As you said before, there is a difference between a murder and a shoplifter. They dont deserve the same punishment.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
April 14th, 2006 at 03:42pm
Yeah George Orwell. POUND it.

So anyway, while i'm thinking prison conditions are pretty shitty, and that's not always good...some of these folks, like has been said, ned to suck it up. You raped a girl in an alley? Well I'm terribly sorry, Jim-Bob, but you're not getting yer godddam sheets back. And don't talk to me about getting "bullied." Suck it up! It's prison! Everybody who did something large wants it known that he's top dog. Of COURSE they'll be bullying you guys.

TVs? We don't need no steenking TVs. When you're in prison, you spend your time being bored and working out. You don't get to keep up on the Knicks. I will take my rhetoric down a notch if we're talking about shoplifters and such petty criminals, but they're a) in and out pretty fast, and b) in separate facilities from the real badasses, aren't they? I dunno, it makes sense to me.

And all of this ranting is directed towards the prisoners...not any of you guys. Unless some of you are posting from jail, in which case...why do you have access to a modem?!
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
April 14th, 2006 at 04:09pm
http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html
Prisoners are human beings, regardless of the crimes they committed.
Do they have the same rights as everyone else? According to the UN, yes.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
April 14th, 2006 at 04:12pm
I think they should have the kind of food you get in school meals.. and no television. What's the point? They're there to be punished...
steady riot.
steady riot.
April 14th, 2006 at 05:11pm
I believe they should have the same things as us. Okay, maybe not televisions, but the basic human needs.
I mean, being locked up in a cell with no bed, no toilet, or nothing to comfort you would kind of make you angrier, and maybe even insane. And really, thats not going to help someone at all. If you give someone some luxuries, there may be a better chance of them...learning their lesson.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 05:13pm
Addiction is in this year:
I believe they should have the same things as us. Okay, maybe not televisions, but the basic human needs.
I mean, being locked up in a cell with no bed, no toilet, or nothing to comfort you would kind of make you angrier, and maybe even insane. And really, thats not going to help someone at all. If you give someone some luxuries, there may be a better chance of them...learning their lesson.

a bed and a toilet I agree with, something to comfort them, no. They aren't there to be comforted.
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
April 14th, 2006 at 05:15pm
they are people too. they deserve clean water and food. they don't in my opinion deserve cable TV. but they do deserve the basics in life.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 05:17pm
dust bunny:
they are people too. they deserve clean water and food. they don't in my opinion deserve cable TV. but they do deserve the basics in life.

I think they deserve what they need to survive.
davey jones.
Falling In Love With The Board
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 06:53pm
I think sometimes when people are in prison for a long time they get used to the violence and stuff that happens there, so when they finally get out they think that the violence in prison is okay in the outside world. And that's bad. Like sometimes people will kill you in prison if you 'get on their bad side' and nothing's done about it because they're locked up anyway, so when someone get's used to seeing that, they think they can do that when they're out. That's just bad....
I.Heart.Panic.
I.Heart.Panic.
April 14th, 2006 at 06:55pm
dirtyhippie:
And don't talk to me about getting "bullied." Suck it up! It's prison! Everybody who did something large wants it known that he's top dog. Of COURSE they'll be bullying you guys.

Exactly.
As the very old, well-known saying goes: "You do the crime, then you do the time."
It's not like on the Simpsons when Marge goes to prison and the skinheaded tattoo-covered woman in her cell is nice. It's fucking reality. Rapists and murderers deserve to be tortured.
A bed with a cover and a pillow, and a toilet. That's all they need. Maybe a sink. But nothing else. Nothing.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 07:00pm
I agree. Food as well, we dont want them to die, just wish they were.
I.Heart.Panic.
I.Heart.Panic.
April 14th, 2006 at 07:01pm
Yeah. In their cell just a bed and toilet, but obviously they should get food and breaks and fresh air on a regular basis.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 14th, 2006 at 07:55pm
*Blue Star*:
I think they should have the kind of food you get in school meals.. and no television. What's the point? They're there to be punished...

school dinners please GOD NO!!! Thats inhuman Laughing

anyway they should be able to walk around they should be able to see family members, and they should be kept to a good basic living condition they however should not have tele or be able to smoke and drink.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2006 at 09:24pm
Magne:
*Blue Star*:

school dinners please GOD NO!!! Thats inhuman Laughing

anyway they should be able to walk around they should be able to see family members, and they should be kept to a good basic living condition they however should not have tele or be able to smoke and drink.
I think allowing them visitors is actually good sometimes. Maybe they can help reform them, however if they are in bad company, it could only make it worse.
Register