January 28th, 2009 at 01:45pm
tapeworm:
nirvana
bruce springsteen
led zeppelin
the who (it's probably been said)
the beatles obv, the most overrated band ever
and skrewdriver i guess...

Hand NO! The Who and Led Zepp arent overrated at all but the rest are .. i dont know who skrewdriver is .. never heard of it
wild at heart
Idiot
wild at heart

Blog
January 28th, 2009 at 02:29pm
maybe you haven't but there are plenty who have

the who and led zeppelin are probably almost as overrated as the beatles. If you like a certain band doesn't mean it isn't overrated, i seriously don't get the hype. The who have only one good song that i can actually listen to without wanting to die: my generation. And as far as led zeppelin, some hippie potheads with long hair and boring guitar riffs... they are completely overrated.
The Collector
GSBitch
The Collector
January 28th, 2009 at 02:32pm
The Beatles are overrated but i really like them ... wouldnt hail them as the greatest rock band of all time
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
January 28th, 2009 at 03:38pm
mansonxgd16x:
The Beatles are overrated but i really like them ... wouldnt hail them as the greatest rock band of all time

i'm not a beatles fan but i still recognize what impact they had on music. they changed it completely and without them none of the bands today would be as good as they are No
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
January 28th, 2009 at 05:30pm
katy perry is vastly overrated i mean gosh she did not invent bisexuality and she is not ~CONTROVERSIAL~
asthenia.
Falling In Love With The Board
asthenia.

Blog
January 28th, 2009 at 05:41pm
tapeworm:

bruce springsteen

omgno NO
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 28th, 2009 at 06:23pm
tapeworm:
nirvana
bruce springsteen
led zeppelin
You know, I'm surprised the no one has said Led Zeppelin yet. Although, I disagree. I disagree with The Who also. Led Zeppelin and The Who are like two greatest bands ever! I don't get why people think The Who are overrated. They have the 4 greatest musicians in their band. It makes no sense.

I should stop coming on this thread it angers me too much.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
January 28th, 2009 at 07:53pm
tapeworm:
maybe you haven't but there are plenty who have

the who and led zeppelin are probably almost as overrated as the beatles. If you like a certain band doesn't mean it isn't overrated, i seriously don't get the hype. The who have only one good song that i can actually listen to without wanting to die: my generation. And as far as led zeppelin, some hippie potheads with long hair and boring guitar riffs... they are completely overrated.

HA! Thanks a lot. I haven't had a good laugh like that for a long, long time. Anyway, lets get down to business.

As I have said countless times, The Beatles, whether you like them or not, are the most influential and successful band of all time. Period. For you to say The Beatles are over rated is like saying the Pope is Muslim or the Moon is a pyramid. It's nonsense. They changed not only the way music is written or the way it sounds, but also the way it's recorded. They changed society - you ask someone to name a band from the 60s and 9 times out of 10 I'm positive they'll say The Beatles. They were the face of social change, of youth, of freedom. When Beatlemania struck the country had never seen anything like it before. Then there's the classic artwork (the cover of Abbey Road and Sgt. Peppers - need I say more?) and their influence on fashion and style not only then but to this very day. Furthermore, they utilised advances in technology to an unprecedented level. They stopped playing live just so they were free and without limits in the music they created. Almost a countless number of genres: classic rock n roll, blues, skiffle, psychedelica, heavy metal, prog rock, and all of this in, what? 7 years of recording? No one has been able to do that what The Beatles did since and no one ever will again.

If you think about it, just how many classic songs did they write? They wrote songs which became standards, similar to Happy Birthday or When The Saints Go Marching In etc etc. Lets see... Yellow Submarine, Hey Jude, Let It Be, She Loves You, All You Need Is Love, Yesterday, With A Little Help From My Friends, Hello Goodbye, Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, I Want to Hold Your Hand, The Long and Winding Road. Then there's tonnes of fantastic things which are bubbling under the wide conciousness, the things that you have to listen to rather than the majority of people in the world simply know of. The beauty of Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Happiness Is a Warm Gun, the swirling perfection of A Day In the Life and Tomorrow Never Knows, or the hard-hitting Revolution and Helter Skelter. Then there's the outstanding vocal performance on Oh Darling! and the nonsensical genius of I Am The Walrus. Even a song by their drummer is brilliant (Octopus's Garden). I would go on, and I could for a while, but I'm sure you're getting bored by me listing song titles. But as you can see, whether you like them or not doesn't come into a situation such as this.

The Who, as someone else has said, had four of the best rock musicians of all time in their band. They virtually invented the concept album (some would argue that the Beatles got there first, but they first put it into a fully fledged story). If not they certainly gave rise to the whole issue of 'rock operas'. Along with the medley on the second half of Abbey Road, Tommy has thus influenced everyone from Queen to My Chemical Romance to our very own Green Day. They too have some of the greatest and most timeless tunes of all time. My Generation, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes... the opening chord on Won't Get Fooled Again alone should keep them off any of these lists!

Also I find you incredibly hypocritical when you're slamming a band for being 'potheads' when you're on a Green Day fan site. They themselves are self-admitted 'potheads' - they even named themselves after it! And as for boring guitar riffs... try Black Dog, the Immigrant Song, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, Rock and Roll, Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love. Some of the most killer riffs in the whole of music history. True, their outstanding output waned slightly after their first 4 albums, but what a run they had. Their debut virtually invented heavy metal, and inspired kids across the country, across the world, to pick up a guitar and be Jimmy Page. They wrote one of the most famous and greatest songs of all time in Stairway to Heaven, and managed to do be the biggest band in the world and yet retain this element of mystery, like an eight-legged mythological creature. They were rock gods then and they still are today.

I hope there's enough there for you to be getting on with. Please check your facts and actually acknowledge the music before saying it's all a load of over rated rubbish.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 29th, 2009 at 12:06am
Jay Tee:
The Who, as someone else has said, had four of the best rock musicians of all time in their band. They virtually invented the concept album (some would argue that the Beatles got there first, but they first put it into a fully fledged story). If not they certainly gave rise to the whole issue of 'rock operas'. Along with the medley on the second half of Abbey Road, Tommy has thus influenced everyone from Queen to My Chemical Romance to our very own Green Day. They too have some of the greatest and most timeless tunes of all time. My Generation, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes... the opening chord on Won't Get Fooled Again alone should keep them off any of these lists!

THANK YOU!
Also, if it weren't for The Who punk rock wouldn't exist. That includes Green Day.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
January 29th, 2009 at 08:58am
I think punk would still have happened. The whole movement in the late 70s was a huge outcry against the so-called 'dinosaur rock' and the failure of Britain domestically and socially.

The Who, The Stooges, New York Dolls all certainly played early versions of punk though. I think The Who's greatest influence was the rock opera, though.
The Collector
GSBitch
The Collector
January 31st, 2009 at 05:28pm
Doris The Spider:
tapeworm:
nirvana
bruce springsteen
led zeppelin
You know, I'm surprised the no one has said Led Zeppelin yet. Although, I disagree. I disagree with The Who also. Led Zeppelin and The Who are like two greatest bands ever! I don't get why people think The Who are overrated. They have the 4 greatest musicians in their band. It makes no sense.

Led Zeppelin and The Who have excellent musicianship! They are in my top 5 greatest rock bands
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
February 1st, 2009 at 12:05am
mansonxgd16x:
Doris The Spider:
tapeworm:
nirvana
bruce springsteen
led zeppelin

Led Zeppelin and The Who have excellent musicianship! They are in my top 5 greatest rock bands

Yeah, in my opinion they ARE the two greatest bands ever!
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
February 1st, 2009 at 12:54am
Doris The Spider:
I don't get why people think The Who are overrated. They have the 4 greatest musicians in their band. It makes no sense.

Or, alternatively, you could just accept that different people have different opinions.

I dunno, I can be really pretentious when it comes to music, so I'll stay away.
Jesse Lacey
Post Whore
Jesse Lacey

Mibba Blog
February 1st, 2009 at 10:41am
I don't think Taking Back Sunday are overrated but I do believe their "Louder Now" album was WAY overrated. Everything leading to that was not.
And actually, now that Fazzi is in the band I think they're back on the underrated half.

But I'm still going to say Louder Now era TBS is overrated until someone can prove me wrong.
deus ex obstreperous
Geek
deus ex obstreperous

Blog
February 1st, 2009 at 02:37pm
hey monday
all time low
3OH!3
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
February 2nd, 2009 at 12:49am
Jesse Lacey.:
I don't think Taking Back Sunday are overrated but I do believe their "Louder Now" album was WAY overrated. Everything leading to that was not.
And actually, now that Fazzi is in the band I think they're back on the underrated half.

But I'm still going to say Louder Now era TBS is overrated until someone can prove me wrong.

I used to be a huge TBS fan a few years ago, but Louder Now really threw me off. Their appeal came from their TAYF/WYWTB style(s). Louder Now was just sort of generic and bleh.
Register