Banning skinny models.

AuthorMessage
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
September 20th, 2006 at 08:07pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:

When a designer puts their clothes, they should have the right to choose who models them, its their clothes they are trying to sell, and I dont think anyone should tell them how to do it.

Extremely good point.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 21st, 2006 at 04:42am
I know Dove has launched a 'natural beauty' [or something along those lines] campaign here in New Zealand, they've used curvy models on TV and billboards. I think this is good as it's a more realistic image being portrayed. However I don't think it was really targetted at teenage girls, but women.
I feel sorry for the models who are so pressured to stay thin. Kate Moss got told to lose weight when she looked a healthy size. All those stories you hear about drug addictions with models... I mean I'm not about to talk like I understand their lives, but don't most addictions stem from too much pressure to maintain a 'gorgeous' image? A modelling career DOES sound glamourous, but for all that I don't see how it's worth it. Along the way you might lose sight of who you are because you're blinded by the need to be thin and pretty according to OTHER people's standards, and also in my opinion it's not very self-respecting to deny oneself food just to appear nice. Everyone has a right to eat whatever they feel like without guilt [unless you have a weight problem that was threatening your heart], without someone in their face telling them they're too fat to be presented to the world.
I'm not going to make some righteous speech about how 'beauty is only skin deep' as I'm a pretty shallow person myself, but hey, everyone should know how to love themselves rather than struggling to maintain an image that is, albeit possible, so unrealistic.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 21st, 2006 at 08:12am
lil ol' Capri:
I know Dove has launched a 'natural beauty' [or something along those lines] campaign here in New Zealand, they've used curvy models on TV and billboards. I think this is good as it's a more realistic image being portrayed. However I don't think it was really targetted at teenage girls, but women.
I feel sorry for the models who are so pressured to stay thin. Kate Moss got told to lose weight when she looked a healthy size. All those stories you hear about drug addictions with models... I mean I'm not about to talk like I understand their lives, but don't most addictions stem from too much pressure to maintain a 'gorgeous' image? A modelling career DOES sound glamourous, but for all that I don't see how it's worth it. Along the way you might lose sight of who you are because you're blinded by the need to be thin and pretty according to OTHER people's standards, and also in my opinion it's not very self-respecting to deny oneself food just to appear nice. Everyone has a right to eat whatever they feel like without guilt [unless you have a weight problem that was threatening your heart], without someone in their face telling them they're too fat to be presented to the world.
I'm not going to make some righteous speech about how 'beauty is only skin deep' as I'm a pretty shallow person myself, but hey, everyone should know how to love themselves rather than struggling to maintain an image that is, albeit possible, so unrealistic.

One of the main things that comes with being in the modeling industry is learning to deal with that pressure and cope with it, and not let it run your life. If you can't do that, you really don't need to be in the industry, it isnt good for you. Im not saying every thin model needs to quit at all, I have no problem with thin models as long as they arent harming themselves and THEY are happy with who they are. If someone thinks they are too skinny, they need to ignore them and if someone tells them to lose a few pounds, they have to know how to handle that too. That comes witht he industry. it takes a strong person to be a model.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
September 21st, 2006 at 03:16pm
I personally don't think models are to blame for most of the standards young girls are trying to live up to. They lose weight because they don't sleep nearly as long as they should. And because they smoke at work, when they don't have time to eat.

A lot of girls nowadays develope eating disorders because of their psychological issues.

But of course, I agree with the ban, it's never nice to see them too skinny.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
September 21st, 2006 at 03:36pm
^ I completely agree with that.

I just read today an article about that, and how Hollywood stars are getting thinner and thinner, Nicole Richie was quite scaring me. =|
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 21st, 2006 at 08:04pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
lil ol' Capri:

One of the main things that comes with being in the modeling industry is learning to deal with that pressure and cope with it, and not let it run your life. If you can't do that, you really don't need to be in the industry, it isnt good for you. Im not saying every thin model needs to quit at all, I have no problem with thin models as long as they arent harming themselves and THEY are happy with who they are. If someone thinks they are too skinny, they need to ignore them and if someone tells them to lose a few pounds, they have to know how to handle that too. That comes witht he industry. it takes a strong person to be a model.

I agree with that to a certain level, learning to deal with the pressure would be very important for a model's welfare. But some of the world's top models have been associated with drugs, like Naomi Watts and Kate Moss. While as professionals they certainly should and could have handled their lives and careers better, I still think the modelling industry has room for improvement. The image portrayed should focus on a more realistic weight and body size for the models. I won't say I know this will be a good idea seeing as I don't know or understand the inner workings of the industry and I can't predict the repercussions of bringing about such a change, but I do know models in magazine do have a great deal of influence on young girls aspiring to be 'beautiful', even if it's not the primary source. And besides, a good agency should have the welfare of their models in their best interests.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 21st, 2006 at 08:16pm
lil ol' Capri:

I agree with that to a certain level, learning to deal with the pressure would be very important for a model's welfare. But some of the world's top models have been associated with drugs, like Naomi Watts and Kate Moss. While as professionals they certainly should and could have handled their lives and careers better, I still think the modelling industry has room for improvement. The image portrayed should focus on a more realistic weight and body size for the models. I won't say I know this will be a good idea seeing as I don't know or understand the inner workings of the industry and I can't predict the repercussions of bringing about such a change, but I do know models in magazine do have a great deal of influence on young girls aspiring to be 'beautiful', even if it's not the primary source. And besides, a good agency should have the welfare of their models in their best interests.

A good agency does have the models welfare in mind, but there isnt very many good agencies out there. Sadly, successful and good don't always go together, and a problem lies there.

As for the image that should be portrayed, that varies from person to person. The designer is the one who's carreer depends on this. They are the one who has to make money so they can live, shouldnt they decide who they want to model there clothes. You May want the modeling industry to potray a better image based on your standards, as Im sure many people think, and if thats the case, become a designer and promote what you want. But just because you like something a certain way isnt really a reason to make other people change. If I had it my way, all fashion would be vintage and Dita would rule the world, sadly, it hasnt happened yet (Im still hoping though Very Happy )

As for the image portrayed to younger girls, I honestly do not think it is the responsability of models to be role models all the time. They are interested in Fashion, not making sure kids are raised correctly.
iamkiller
Basket Case
iamkiller

Mibba
September 21st, 2006 at 08:30pm
Ah man. Out of job because they can't gain a little wait?

omgno What about Paris!?

But honestly. It's a job.. and there are many "unflattering/bad role models" out there.
If you don't like it, keep your children watching fat teletubbies.

YOU HAVE RIGHT TO OFFEND AND YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE OFFENDED. ~~
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 21st, 2006 at 08:57pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
lil ol' Capri:

A good agency does have the models welfare in mind, but there isnt very many good agencies out there. Sadly, successful and good don't always go together, and a problem lies there.

As for the image that should be portrayed, that varies from person to person. The designer is the one who's carreer depends on this. They are the one who has to make money so they can live, shouldnt they decide who they want to model there clothes. You May want the modeling industry to potray a better image based on your standards, as Im sure many people think, and if thats the case, become a designer and promote what you want. But just because you like something a certain way isnt really a reason to make other people change. If I had it my way, all fashion would be vintage and Dita would rule the world, sadly, it hasnt happened yet (Im still hoping though Very Happy )

As for the image portrayed to younger girls, I honestly do not think it is the responsability of models to be role models all the time. They are interested in Fashion, not making sure kids are raised correctly.

I never implied that it's the models' fault, or that they bear the responsibility of being good role models to young girls. The way they appear on shoots, on the catwalk, I know is not decided by them. I understand that not EVERYONE mindlessly absorb the media and follow trends religious, and that it's a very hard thing to control.

And yes, I see what you mean by my personal standards being applied to other people's actions. However I made that point because the current image of models are causing problems and I see it as the solution, because the benefits aren't just exclusive to the models themselves. At the end of the day the designer would get the most say because it's THEY'RE clothes that they're trying to sell, but the general message coming across is still thin=beautiful and it's having a negative effect. That's a fact, not a standard on anyone's part. You and I may not be affected but some people are, and they take it to extreme levels, and it should be a concern to the designers. I'm not laying the blame entirely on them but you have to admit they ARE part of the problem.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 21st, 2006 at 08:59pm
And yes, a good agency should be very concerned with their models. And I'm aware that there are some very bad ones around. That's why I said there is room for improvement within the industry, and they ARE possible, not idealistic.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 21st, 2006 at 10:11pm
lil ol' Capri:

I never implied that it's the models' fault, or that they bear the responsibility of being good role models to young girls. The way they appear on shoots, on the catwalk, I know is not decided by them. I understand that not EVERYONE mindlessly absorb the media and follow trends religious, and that it's a very hard thing to control.

And yes, I see what you mean by my personal standards being applied to other people's actions. However I made that point because the current image of models are causing problems and I see it as the solution, because the benefits aren't just exclusive to the models themselves. At the end of the day the designer would get the most say because it's THEY'RE clothes that they're trying to sell, but the general message coming across is still thin=beautiful and it's having a negative effect. That's a fact, not a standard on anyone's part. You and I may not be affected but some people are, and they take it to extreme levels, and it should be a concern to the designers. I'm not laying the blame entirely on them but you have to admit they ARE part of the problem.

Alot of people like to blame music for things as well, and I agree, music can heavily influence teeangers, any person for that matter. Alot of people think artists should censor themselves, but I disagree. Music is their form of exspression, and even if it's the single most vulgar, obscene, sick thing in the world in my eyes, they have a right to say what they want.

Designers and Fashion is the same thing. The clothes they design, that they create is their form of expression, and so is how they choose to have them modeled. If I think they pormote a bad image, such as encouraging people to be too thin, I wont endorse the product, simply put. if you don't like something, no one says you have to buy those clothes or support that person, but just because someone dislikes something doesnt mean the people that do need to change. Some people blame music for the Columbine Shootings, they see it as a problem. Does that mean that music should be stopped as well? Of Course not, because many people love it and it's an important part of their life. Some people choose to blame Modeling and the Media for Eating disorders and image crisis- situations, but many people love and enjoy it as it is, and you can't blame it for those problems. Media puts pressure on everything. Who you vote for, what you eat, wear, the books you read, the movies you watch. You can try to do away with it little bit by bit, but it won't accomplish anything. Just because models are banned from some places doesnt mean they will quit modeling either. All it means is if big names cant walk the runway at that show... that show will die and lose popularity to a show where models are allowed to do their job.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 21st, 2006 at 10:17pm
lil ol' Capri:
And yes, a good agency should be very concerned with their models. And I'm aware that there are some very bad ones around. That's why I said there is room for improvement within the industry, and they ARE possible, not idealistic.

I really do think some modeling agencies are sick, the things they promote makes me ill. Fashion is a very important part of my life and I hate how some places treat models.

Ford models is an example of the perfect agency. Other models envy models signed to that agency, because they do such wonderful things. They don't allow their models to work for just anyone for a profit, and models with eating disorders that are known about have to get the medical help they need, or they are endangering their contract with the agency. I wish more modeling agencies had policies like that. The majority of agencies don't even have any section in their contracts realting to health concerns and it aggrivates me alot.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 22nd, 2006 at 04:46am
Confused
This is a trickier situation than I first thought. You do make some good points I_worship_tre_Cool, and some of them I can't argue with because you seem to have a better understanding of the fashion industry, and because I agree with some of them.
Yes, you're very right, fashion and music are both forms of expression. And both are very influential. I still stand by that both do have a share in the blame in what may happen to the people they influence and no, this is not to say that skinny models should be banned, nor should lyrics of any kind. I personally don't feel pressured to be thin from the media, I know that being happy with myself should come before presenting an image other people will be happy with. However for some people it's not that easy, it's human nature to be self-conscious and self-critical, appearance is so important in this day and age, and the pressure to be 'pretty' is immense. Destructive eating disorders such as anorexia and bulemia can be hell to go through, I guess it's hard to comprehend just HOW terrible unless you've experienced it yourself, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me. I absolutely agree that artists should not have to be censored however, is it absolutely vital to use such thin models everywhere? Does it seem like a coincidence to you that so many agencies demand such small models because they ALL ACTUALLY agree that being thin is beautiful, or is it actually that it's a universal belief that influences even the designers? Why can they not use healthily-sized models on shoots and catwalks and anything else that would attract major publicity, but still sell the impossibly small sizes of the clothes without all the promotion?
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 22nd, 2006 at 09:32am
Here's the deal: Madrid was the first to ban too-skinny models. And not like normal skinny. They test the BMI of every model and every potential model. Those whose BMI is substantially under are rejected. It's not only the example for the people around them, but for the models themselves. This way, they'll be enouraged to be healthy instead of looking scary and freaky little sticks.

I remember watching a reality show where this girl arched her back to take a photo and I could count her ribs. That doesn't appeal to me. I wanted to puke. It freaked me out. It freaks a lot of people out. Milan was next. They were worried about Milan fashion week and stuff because they needed their models. But Georgio Armani was quoted as saying that he never liked skinny-ass models. He designed his clothes for normal people, the people who could wear them to their best. And what do skinny models prove anyway?

To make the women watching them feel like shit? To show off clothes in sizes that no one else can fit into? Geez. And see, it's good now. The pressure on women is being lifted slowly. I'm not saying you should eat until you die, but come on.

It's GOOD that only women with healthy BMIs are being accepted! It's GOOD that people are realizing this now. And it's not just the issue of child friendly. It's the issue of human-friendly. When I read that Madrid banned underweight models, I felt...I dunno. But it was a good feeling. Kind of a feeling of truimph or something. There is no reason for people to be against this.

Underweight models are no good to anyone. Men don't want to see bone-pokey women. No female wants to see bone-pokey people or feel overweight when they're normal. No girl wants to have to go through anorexia just to feel like she's meeting a standard. Mr. Armani said that he never wanted these walking twigs for his clothes. But the media pushed for them.

People want to look at slender, graceful models. But not skinny-as-fuck little porcelein dolls that stare creepily at the audience. I strongly support this, and if you don't...you obviously don't see reason.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
September 22nd, 2006 at 12:55pm
I disagree with the ban.

Banning skinny models from the catwalk isn't going to do anything. It's just unfair for the models who are skinny. Especially since some models have to pay for the journey. Who the hell would want to pay to go somewhere and then when you turn up, find out that you can't take the job?

Allowing more women with curves onto the catwalk would make more sense..
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 22nd, 2006 at 02:11pm
Does no one understand that it's not their weight? It's their BMI! Body Mass Index! If it's below a certain level or above a certain level, it's dangerous for the person!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
September 22nd, 2006 at 08:26pm
*Blue Star*:
I disagree with the ban.

Banning skinny models from the catwalk isn't going to do anything. It's just unfair for the models who are skinny. Especially since some models have to pay for the journey. Who the hell would want to pay to go somewhere and then when you turn up, find out that you can't take the job?

Allowing more women with curves onto the catwalk would make more sense..

Nobody is being banned for simply being a "little bit on the thin side".
People who are being banned are seriously, drastically, disgustingly underweight. To a point where it is physically dangerous for the individual. I'm not kidding, you think this ban is all about helping insecure kids?. You really think models want to be sacks of bones, just so they can get work?. I doubt it. If models aren't going to be hired if they are too thin, then the demand and pressure on them will be reduced resulting in less health problems for them. Because believe it or not, being too thin is pretty damn dangerous.

I also highly doubt the cost of the journey will factor into this. Models will know well in advance the rules and regulations the catwalk imposes upon them.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
September 22nd, 2006 at 09:27pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
NeoSteph:

I don't want to live in a tolitarian society. A parent is the primary care giver for any child, but as a secondary it's is soceity's job to bring up a generation. That means that people who have been 'fortunate' enough to find themselves in the celebrity dome, have a responcibility as part of their 'job' to secure that they are setting a positive role model for their audience. On average it is teenage girls who buy glossy magazines, where picture after pciture is promoting a skinny lifestyle. Which in the majority of cases can only be achieved by extreme dieting or eating disorders. Yes some girls are naturally skinny, but the average size of uk women is 16. So promoting szie 0's leads to depression and angst for a large portion of teenage society.

This is not about models feeling self-conscious because they have to put on a few pounds, this is about the message given to millions and millions of young girls all over the world, that to look good you have to be skinny, which is not true.

The models in question were told months in advance of fashion week that this is what will happen, if they refused to gain a couple of pounds then they obviously care to much about their own image, and before you argue that it could put their career in jepordy, fashion week is the biggest time of the year for all industry's involved, it is also where the top super-models are claimed by large chains. so it would have been in their favour to gain a couple.

Furthermore. being thin whether done correctly is never great. Thin means you are underweight for your body mass, meaning you are eating yourself. causing corrosion in your bones and muscles. Also no one seems to poitn out that within the modelling industry because of the need to be thin certain lifestyles are envoked, for example cocaine abuse which as a drug subdues appetite. everyone know Kate moss' fall from grace, well she was just unlucky to be caught out.

If you're a celebrity, it isnt your responsability to change yourself, thats unfair. It's your life, no one elses, and nothing gives another person to decide a correct weight for you. It doesnt even matter if you're famous or not, that applies to everyone. Society isnt the best mentor for any kid with all the violence and negative things it contains. I disagree that anyone should rely on society to raise their kids, and help them develop morals.

Being thin can to be very healthy when done correctly... are you seriously telling me that a proper diet and exercise are unhealthy? Of course not, those are absolutely needed for being healthy, and when I say being thin correctly, that's what I mean. Being overweight can be just as bad with that it can do to your heart, alot of times people tend to neglect that. Neither are good, you want a balance in the middle.

The Fashion idustry relies on looks, fashion is the way you look and dress. When a designer puts their clothes, they should have the right to choose who models them, its their clothes they are trying to sell, and I dont think anyone should tell them how to do it.

I did not at any point say that society is a good mentor for children, what I am saying and which i made very clearly is that. The advertisement industry and media circus make up of youth culture heavily influences children regardless if a parent tries to sheild them. Modern culture knowing this needs to take responcibilty for the lifestyle their showcasing to a young audience. I very much disagree that celebrity's shouldn't have to take responcibilty for any effect they have on young girls especially in todays society. You do not become an actress/ singer/ model not knowing you will be in the public image. In fact being a celebrity very much relies on how much the media is focusing on you, the number one reason for press agents. You disagree that celebrity's or anyone in the public eye should not try to teach the next generation good morals. Well what about politicians, the leaders of our country, If that was to be asked everyone would completely agree that political leaders should lead an upstanding life and one of the main reasons why people think this, because they are in the public sphere. Yet Lindsey Lohan graces the front pages of the newspapers more than any political figure I know yet even though like political figures she chose to be in the spot light she isn't expected to show moral decency.That is utter crap and everybody here should have learned that, it's basic understanding of human nature, that to evolve you must progess on a intellectual level, a physical level and a human level which is to pass on knowledge and morals to the next generation to uphold. Teaching kids That an underweight lifestyle is not only the norm but is what is expected of this youth is not only dangerous but will lead to a degeneration.

?are you seriously telling me that a proper diet and exercise are unhealthy?

No I did not tell you that, unless your seeing white rabbits I have no idea how you pulled that out of a hat. I made the very medical and correct observation that the if you are labbelled as thin by your Body Mass indication then you are in fact unhealthy, which is very true thin is a medical term. Obviously if you are overweight then yes you are unhealthy, also want to point out that what you had said was not relevant to the debate, Obesity is a problem on the other end of the spectrum and does not warrant a discussion in this particular thread. Second of all how can a model that by most accounts are usually in the region of 5"7" wearing size 2 or less be considered a healthy middle. I don't even have to know their exact weight to work out that there BMI is not between 18 and 35. Which would be the healthy middle. At this point I would have like to have discussed my opinion that because of unhealthy eating, which would of been used to produce suggest ''brilliant'' body results it cna lead to numerous problems such as brittle bones, induced muscles. which can lead to arthritis and alzheimers, because your brain which is one large muscle is also being eaten. Yet even though that made up the most important part of my post it was neglected.

Or maybe we could discuss how because of the pressure to stay thin lifestyles such drug abuse are taken up, wait no that was overlooked too, because obviously anything that knocks an argument is not taken into account, hidden debating is not cool is not funny and does not save time it undermines any replying argument. If someone makes apoint that you cannot argue with you give credit where credit is due and you inherit it into your own argument.

Last but not least....well you contradicted yourself. Yes the designers should have a say over what models they use, it so happens that in the Madrids case the designers and executives of the fashion industry wanted healthy looking models. So are you seriously telling me that designers have the right to choose what models they want to use yet banning skinny models because designers does not want them, is as you put it ''it's ignorant. Why should models have to put their career on hold''.

What scares me the most about this thread is that the majority of you who are saying that there is nothing wrong with this skinny model culture and who are defending at great length are teenage girls. So if you want to see the effect that skiiny media has on young girls you only have to read this thread your my evidence.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 23rd, 2006 at 06:17am
Clap
I have absolutely nothing to add to that
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:09am
NeoSteph:

I did not at any point say that society is a good mentor for children, what I am saying and which i made very clearly is that. The advertisement industry and media circus make up of youth culture heavily influences children regardless if a parent tries to sheild them. Modern culture knowing this needs to take responcibilty for the lifestyle their showcasing to a young audience. I very much disagree that celebrity's shouldn't have to take responcibilty for any effect they have on young girls especially in todays society. You do not become an actress/ singer/ model not knowing you will be in the public image. In fact being a celebrity very much relies on how much the media is focusing on you, the number one reason for press agents. You disagree that celebrity's or anyone in the public eye should not try to teach the next generation good morals. Well what about politicians, the leaders of our country, If that was to be asked everyone would completely agree that political leaders should lead an upstanding life and one of the main reasons why people think this, because they are in the public sphere. Yet Lindsey Lohan graces the front pages of the newspapers more than any political figure I know yet even though like political figures she chose to be in the spot light she isn't expected to show moral decency.That is utter crap and everybody here should have learned that, it's basic understanding of human nature, that to evolve you must progess on a intellectual level, a physical level and a human level which is to pass on knowledge and morals to the next generation to uphold. Teaching kids That an underweight lifestyle is not only the norm but is what is expected of this youth is not only dangerous but will lead to a degeneration.

?are you seriously telling me that a proper diet and exercise are unhealthy?

No I did not tell you that, unless your seeing white rabbits I have no idea how you pulled that out of a hat. I made the very medical and correct observation that the if you are labbelled as thin by your Body Mass indication then you are in fact unhealthy, which is very true thin is a medical term. Obviously if you are overweight then yes you are unhealthy, also want to point out that what you had said was not relevant to the debate, Obesity is a problem on the other end of the spectrum and does not warrant a discussion in this particular thread. Second of all how can a model that by most accounts are usually in the region of 5"7" wearing size 2 or less be considered a healthy middle. I don't even have to know their exact weight to work out that there BMI is not between 18 and 35. Which would be the healthy middle. At this point I would have like to have discussed my opinion that because of unhealthy eating, which would of been used to produce suggest ''brilliant'' body results it cna lead to numerous problems such as brittle bones, induced muscles. which can lead to arthritis and alzheimers, because your brain which is one large muscle is also being eaten. Yet even though that made up the most important part of my post it was neglected.

Or maybe we could discuss how because of the pressure to stay thin lifestyles such drug abuse are taken up, wait no that was overlooked too, because obviously anything that knocks an argument is not taken into account, hidden debating is not cool is not funny and does not save time it undermines any replying argument. If someone makes apoint that you cannot argue with you give credit where credit is due and you inherit it into your own argument.

Last but not least....well you contradicted yourself. Yes the designers should have a say over what models they use, it so happens that in the Madrids case the designers and executives of the fashion industry wanted healthy looking models. So are you seriously telling me that designers have the right to choose what models they want to use yet banning skinny models because designers does not want them, is as you put it ''it's ignorant. Why should models have to put their career on hold''.

What scares me the most about this thread is that the majority of you who are saying that there is nothing wrong with this skinny model culture and who are defending at great length are teenage girls. So if you want to see the effect that skiiny media has on young girls you only have to read this thread your my evidence.

The last time I checked a bubble gum popstar and politicians where no where near on the same level. Politicians are representatives of the nation and the people that live and make up the nation. They are responsiable for our government, one of the most important pieces of any society. A singer such as lindsey Lohan as song's on the radio.... I don't see the relation between their importance's in society. my Life as I know it depends on politicians and the descions they make in their political officies, I could not watch the news or read one article on a politician and their descions would still effect me. You are only as effected by other media as you choose to be.Gossip Magazines and Mtv coerage are very different from the type of media coverage that lindsey lohan recieves. The only time you would see a political figure in a magaize with her is when their is bad press circulating around the political figure in question. You know, the media is the one who pries into these celebrities lives, you can not expect everthing they find to be good. In fact, most press doesnt focus on the good things, that certainly wouldnt sell. I do agree, when you become a celebrity, you are fully aware of the fact that they will be in the spotlight, but I don't agree that they should have to alter their lives to do it. They are there to be actor or model, musician, whatever. They never said they were mentors of the youth in society. I don't see how someone who is famous is atuomatically suppose to take responsability for others actions of what gets put in the media.

You disagree that celebrity's or anyone in the public eye should not try to teach the next generation good morals.
Yes, I do. Teenage pornography is illegal until you 18 (in the US at least), Do you think that they need to be role models as well? Murders and rapists are in the public eye, and I dont think they should ever be considered anything close to a role model, nor should their morals be passed on to any other person, reguradless of how much press coverage they recieve. All the violence in the media doesnt help much either.

Fashion is being used as a scapegoat for the problems of teenage girls with eating disorders, it is not the only cause. This isnt like some new standard that just popped up, being thin has always been seen as being beautiful and in shape. What about the boys that effect teenage girls lives? They want to be thin and in shape to impress whoever, are we going to ban boys as well? Many factors effect the image that girls want to portray, and you can not ban them all. Even if you did, new factors would arise and create the same problems.

As for BMI, it is not 100% accurate. Your body type effects the BMI you have. Anyone who had a BMI of 18.5 or lower is considered underweight. the limit at the Madrid show as 18. Some girls are naturally think. they have the frame and build to where a BMI is not accurate for them. Some people would say "yes, but thats only a small percentage". I agree, it is, but a small percentage of people are in the modeling industry, and having that trait can be helpful with getting into modeling, meaning that alot of models have that. Just because your BMI is lower than 18 does not make you underweight. The models who were over 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed less than 121.25 pounds were the ones that were banned, which is an insane standard to hold to models. Kate Moss has a lower BMI and she is not underweight, she is natually thin. You can look at her now, and tell a complete difference from when she had an eating disorder, and at both stages she had a low BMI. Being underweight and emaciated can lead to all the heathy problems you listed, but thin models do not automatically meet the criteria needed to be at risk for those things. (Also, emiciated is not the equivillent of thin. Thin is not the correct term to use when refering to someone who is sickly and unhealthy. Whenever I say thin, I do not mean that it's ok for people to be anorxeic and ill. Thin is not the technical term, and therefore I can use to to describe models who are healthy.)And it was most certainly not decided upon by the designers in the show. "Show organizers" Does not mean designers. Mark And Spencers is one of the main supporters and financial aids for London Fashion week, which is another show in question, and they do not support the ban in any way, shape, or form, and say that designers choose the models, and thats what is approperiate.The British Fashion council has rejected any restrictions already. The Mayor of Milan is the one who proposed the BMI rule to start with. Another Designer, Bella Freud, is also outraged at it. I can Keep naming designers if you like, but I assure, this is not a supported regulation amungst desigers. The majority of modeling agencies also reject the regulation. Madrid and Milan have killed their stance in the fashion world by doing this, I'd be very surprised if they even have a fashion week next year with the same rules in place. Usually around 250 models apply to be in this show... 68 did this year. Why? Because it's ridiculous.BMI isnt accurate for everyone, and it can not be used to juudge everyone because of that, Especially models.The people who are supporting this are those who are not even involved in the fashion industry.

Adding a little more to the BMI thing, I'll explain it for those who don't know what it is. Your BMI is your weight divided by the square of your height.The Average is between 18.5 and 25. You arent considered to be severely underweight until you're at 15. People with Ectomorphic body types (which is very common and typical amoung models) have a difficult time gaining weight and building muscle mass, which can lead to a considerably low BMI. Alot of atheletes that have alot of running or walking involved in their carrer can have a similar body type as well.

Not directing this at steph, but other people who have said that models with more curves should be used, what gives you the right to decide all models with curves are a correct weight and healthy? Also, how are you so sure that models without curves are unhealthy. This is where my problem lies. I'm assuming you meant that a more realistic image should be portrayed, because the majority of women dont have stick figure bodies. That's fine and dandy, but once again, you're not the designer. Obviously what they are using is sucsessful and working, is it not? They are famous and their clothes are noted in the fashion world. So, they could use different models, but their carrers would suffer. Not everyone agrees that different models should be used, that is your opinion, and you can become a designer and use different models, but let them use the ones they choose. Just because a model is lacking cruves does not mean she is unhealthy and unfit to use. You are entitled to your personal preference for that type of models, but other people are also entitled to prefer that image in models.

As for drug abuse, I choose to ignore that because I really don't know what you're getting at with it and I find it to be an irrelevant point. If you're implying that thin models are on drugs... you're wrong. Some models may be on drugs, or at one time were, but that doesnt mean you can judge all models by that standard and you can not compare them all to kate moss. You don't see models out there exposing their drug abuse to the world and encouraging it, it's a private issue that shouldnt be made public and they need to get help, but thats still no reason to ban models.Once again, thats a standard that applies to some people, not all. If you are concerned about celebrities promoting drug addictions and abuse, I believe musicians would hold responsability for that. Do all musicians encourage drug abuse? Of course not, but alot larger number do than number of models. I can't think of any model that would go out and encourage kids to use drugs as a way to remain thin. Kate Moss went through rehab to help control her addicition so that she could be healthy and becuase she knew it was wrong. That seems like a very positive image to promote to me.

I really do hope you're not implying by your last paragraph that my opinion is inferior based on my age. If so, I see no point in even having this thread if you're going to assume everyone who disagres with you has been brainwashed. The reason I don't support the ban has nothing to do with media, I don't support it because it's unfair and pointless. You Can say that young girls won't feel pressure to be thin anymore, but you wouldnt be correct. Pressure comes from more than one place. Also, this ban will never be in place everywhere, and if it keeps having similar effects on shows such as the one in Madrid, it won't be in place anywhere because the shows who support it will have no financial support and cease to exist.
Register