Oregon Grocery Store Clerk Claims To Have Written Green Day'

AuthorMessage
Danchili
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Danchili
October 28th, 2006 at 10:53am
A 32-year-old grocery store checker from Medford, Oregon has filed a copyright infringement complaint against Green Day, claiming that he composed the lyrics and melodies to their American Idiot album in early 1992.

Paul McPike filed his two-page complaint in U.S. District Court last week, but a judge recommended dismissing it on Monday. However, the judge said that McPike could file an amended complaint detailing his copyright of the lyrics and music.

McPike is representing himself in the matter and the only evidence he has submitted thus far is a copy of American Idiot and a claim that the words that Green Day vocalist Billie Joe Armstrong sings on the album don't exactly match those printed in the liner notes. The former ski resort employee plans to continue researching copyright law and to resubmit his complaint with additional unspecified evidence.

McPike says he's written songs since high school and, while he's never performed publicly, he's occasionally sung some of his compositions for friends. He believes that a buddy must have recorded him singing at home, and that a cassette of his work somehow got into Green Day's hands.

"It was just disbelief every time I heard it on the radio," McPike told Medford's Mail Tribune newspaper.

McPike claims to have written several letters to both the band and their label, Warner Bros. Records, but never received a reply to his allegations. So he felt that he was left with no alternative but to go to court. He's seeking an unspecified share of the profits from the 2004 album and the 2005 Bullet In A Bible concert CD/DVD that includes songs from American Idiot.

While ChartAttack's legal team was unavailable for comment, it seems quite clear that McPike is confused. While he thinks that he wrote American Idiot, he actually is an American idiot.

i think that this guy uses drugs....
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 10:57am
i know Sad
he is just crazy. we all know hes gonna lose, im not scared of him Fizz

he just forgot to take his meds
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 01:04pm
Um...yeah. I think he's just some confused dude. I mean, shouldn't he at least submit his own lyrics as well? The ones he claims to have written.
libbey crocodile
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
libbey crocodile

Mibba
October 28th, 2006 at 01:22pm
No offence to him or anything, but what an idiot.
Michake
Geek
Michake
October 28th, 2006 at 01:29pm
what a con, i put the aritcle in my aim profile with a headng of, Who Agrees This Is A Total Con?

and he wont win the case, what actual proof does he have
LoGo
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
LoGo

Mibba
October 28th, 2006 at 01:42pm
lmao aww i think the old mans starting to loose his memory and is very confused...oh well
GreenDayfanatic07
Geek
GreenDayfanatic07

Mibba
October 28th, 2006 at 01:44pm
He's just some fucked up asshole who wants to be famous, and has nothing better to do. I think people like that are stupid
X..3mzapoo..X
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
X..3mzapoo..X
October 28th, 2006 at 02:01pm
hahahahaa what a load or wabaaaaaaaash

doesnt he know that NO ONE will believe him???
Danchili
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Danchili
October 28th, 2006 at 02:59pm
he needs professional help.... he is a stupid... Liar
Mike's_#1_Babe!
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Mike's_#1_Babe!
October 28th, 2006 at 03:10pm
dude I live in oregon...I should find him and yell at him Very Happy
Danchili
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Danchili
October 28th, 2006 at 03:13pm
i'll help you!!!! muahahahahaha Twisted Evil
new.slang
Idiot
new.slang
October 28th, 2006 at 03:13pm
Where did you get this information? Confused
Danchili
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Danchili
October 28th, 2006 at 03:22pm
i found it on: www.chartattack.com/damn/2006/10/2703.cfm
but just go on google, tipe Paul McPike+Green Day and you will find lot's of things...
Hilda the Hag
Geek
Hilda the Hag
October 28th, 2006 at 03:22pm
i feel bad for him and his big disalussions(sp) but he will lose.why didnt he come out before???
Danchili
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Danchili
October 28th, 2006 at 03:24pm
that is the piont!!!
This guy wakes up one day and he tought: " what can i do today... wait i hate green day! lets tell the world that i wrote american diot ha ha ha"
Ghostie.
Geek
Ghostie.

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 03:43pm
Wow. He's never going to win with out some serious proof. *shakes head* Why didnt he say something before? American Idiot came out two years ago. Wow.
netty
Geek
netty
October 28th, 2006 at 03:46pm
shesh! the guy has mental health issues! thats whats behind this! not the money, or anything else. the guy is delusional.
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 03:57pm
Wow, what a load of bullshit
It's amazing all the shit people actually try and pull these days
Danchili
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Danchili
October 28th, 2006 at 04:04pm
yeah... im scared... i belive in green day
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
October 28th, 2006 at 04:12pm
Danchili:
A 32-year-old grocery store checker from Medford, Oregon has filed a copyright infringement complaint against Green Day, claiming that he composed the lyrics and melodies to their American Idiot album in early 1992.

Paul McPike filed his two-page complaint in U.S. District Court last week, but a judge recommended dismissing it on Monday. However, the judge said that McPike could file an amended complaint detailing his copyright of the lyrics and music.

McPike is representing himself in the matter and the only evidence he has submitted thus far is a copy of American Idiot and a claim that the words that Green Day vocalist Billie Joe Armstrong sings on the album don't exactly match those printed in the liner notes. The former ski resort employee plans to continue researching copyright law and to resubmit his complaint with additional unspecified evidence.

McPike says he's written songs since high school and, while he's never performed publicly, he's occasionally sung some of his compositions for friends. He believes that a buddy must have recorded him singing at home, and that a cassette of his work somehow got into Green Day's hands.

"It was just disbelief every time I heard it on the radio," McPike told Medford's Mail Tribune newspaper.

McPike claims to have written several letters to both the band and their label, Warner Bros. Records, but never received a reply to his allegations. So he felt that he was left with no alternative but to go to court. He's seeking an unspecified share of the profits from the 2004 album and the 2005 Bullet In A Bible concert CD/DVD that includes songs from American Idiot.

While ChartAttack's legal team was unavailable for comment, it seems quite clear that McPike is confused. While he thinks that he wrote American Idiot, he actually is an American idiot.

i think that this guy uses drugs....
American Idiot is a critic on George Bush. Where is he in 1992? Not being a president!
Register