Noel Gallagher Accuses Green Day Of Rip-Off

AuthorMessage
White Riot
King For A Couple Of Days
White Riot
December 30th, 2006 at 01:20pm
Make you Smile.:
igotsosickofcrying:
i'm not sure. i've read a full page of his quotations, no date was mentioned.

...I don't think so.

"Oasis are as exciting as watching paint dry" - Billie. <3

Boy is he wrong.
I don't guess he's seen that one concert they were filming, when they all were arguing with each other and left just (I can't remember if it was Liam or Noel) to perform, without one of them? (I am having trouble explaining this as I'm not an Oasis nutter).
But, what I'm getting at is, they argue alot, and to most people, that's entertaining.
Okay. I feel kind of dumb now. I'm just going to walk away slowly....
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
December 30th, 2006 at 03:29pm
White Riot:
Make you Smile.:
igotsosickofcrying:

...I don't think so.

Boy is he wrong.
I don't guess he's seen that one concert they were filming, when they all were arguing with each other and left just (I can't remember if it was Liam or Noel) to perform, without one of them? (I am having trouble explaining this as I'm not an Oasis nutter).
But, what I'm getting at is, they argue alot, and to most people, that's entertaining.

... oh boi that sounds really entertaining. Neutral

& No, he must have seen this one concert (all their concerts) where they do ... nothing =D
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 30th, 2006 at 03:59pm
I think Noel needs a little nap.
Danchili
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Danchili
December 30th, 2006 at 04:10pm
Joan Greenwood:
I think Noel needs a little nap.
lol
White Riot
White Riot
December 30th, 2006 at 10:01pm
Make you Smile.:
White Riot:
Make you Smile.:
igotsosickofcrying:

...I don't think so.

Boy is he wrong.

& No, he must have seen this one concert (all their concerts) where they do ... nothing =D

Oasis aren't boring.
Just because they don't jack off during shows doesn't make them any less interesting.
Mrs. Lee
Jackass
Mrs. Lee

Mibba
December 31st, 2006 at 12:38am
White Riot:
Make you Smile.:
White Riot:
Make you Smile.:
igotsosickofcrying:

...I don't think so.

Boy is he wrong.

Oasis aren't boring.
Just because they don't jack off during shows doesn't make them any less interesting.
I like to think that masturbating on stage is quit entertaining. Rather than having a fight while you're spose to preform. Eh
i am amanda
Idiot
i am amanda

Mibba
December 31st, 2006 at 12:52am
He's just looking for a fight, Green Day probably won't even respond to what he said so whats the point?
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
December 31st, 2006 at 05:32am
Kerplunk Girl:
I like to think that masturbating on stage is quit entertaining. Rather than having a fight while you're spose to preform. Eh

TRU DAT. Meg
Mrs. Lee
Jackass
Mrs. Lee

Mibba
December 31st, 2006 at 05:42am
Make you Smile.:
Kerplunk Girl:

TRU DAT. Meg
I may be fucking drunk but green day are the best fucking and in the whole fucking worl, who fucking gives a shit of they took the same arrangemnt.

OASIS FUCKING SUCK . OK. THEY CAN'
T COMEPARE TO FUCKING GREEN DAY CAUSE GREENDAY IS HE FUCING EST BAND IN THE WORL OK.
Ash.
Idiot
Ash.
December 31st, 2006 at 10:51am
What Is Life?:
He's just looking for a fight, Green Day probably won't even respond to what he said so whats the point?
Exactly. Green Day Probably Doesn't Give Two Shits What Oasis Or Any Other Band Thinks About Them.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 31st, 2006 at 11:01am
Kerplunk Girl:

Different people find different things entertaining.
This is why public hanging occurs in one country and in the next, they watch sport. Mr. Green

In any case, Oasis are from Manchester so therefore they are cool. Ok? Ok.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
December 31st, 2006 at 11:04am
Kerplunk Girl:
Make you Smile.:
Kerplunk Girl:

TRU DAT. Meg
I may be fucking drunk but green day are the best fucking and in the whole fucking worl, who fucking gives a shit of they took the same arrangemnt.

OASIS FUCKING SUCK . OK. THEY CAN'
T COMEPARE TO FUCKING GREEN DAY CAUSE GREENDAY IS HE FUCING EST BAND IN THE WORL OK.

*sigh* there's nothing worse than someone pretending to be drunk.

oh and Oasis' music is the voice of a generation. any 90's child should understand them. Green Day are and always will be part of a phase.
Betanynin
Geek
Betanynin
December 31st, 2006 at 11:18am
I hate Noel and Liam.
Their attitudes suck.
Some of their music is ok.
But alot of it sucks also.
Yes Billie Joe made the same arrangment in the song.
Who fucking cares.
Noel's just looking to pick a fight.
What a twat.
Robbie
Robbie
December 31st, 2006 at 12:55pm
Betanynin:
I hate Noel and Liam.
Their attitudes suck.
Some of their music is ok.
But alot of it sucks also.
Yes Billie Joe made the same arrangment in the song.
Who fucking cares.
Noel's just looking to pick a fight.
What a twat.

Liam Gallagher has gone from a loutish frontman with nuclear charisma to a father and a half decent songwriter. Noel Gallagher is a an accomplised musician who has always been one of the voices of our nation, and has shown loyalty to his fan base and doesn't just put outcast songs on singles as b-sides. They have had many classic b-sides as a sign of respect to the people who go out and buy their singles.

How much of their music have you listened to? There are 3 of their albums I don't even own and I could reel off a list of their songs that are of a higher standard of songwriting and composition than Green Day's work.

Kerplunk Girl:

http://www.geekstinkbreath.net/greenday/info/shithappens/

Green Day are no angels either, in fact most of those things are ridiculously childish.

whateveryasay:
1) Both songs have similar or the same chords.
2) BOBD won the Grammy and gained worldwide fame and whatever. Wonderwall is also an extremely liked song, but haven't been so much awarded. If they are the same, why so?
3) At least half of the people here like one of the songs and loathe the other. And I'm repeating, why so, if they're identical?
4) In my opinion, the songs are really similar. But not that much, to be considered as the one. Maybe GD ripped it off and made the better/worse one, maybe they didn't. We'll never know, unless some Yellow Pony flies from the sky and tells us. Rolling Eyes I mean, guys, don't bite each other. If there is somebody interested in biting it'll be Noel and/or Billie.

1) The same, yes.
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_awards_and_nominations - get your facts straight.
3) It's a Green Day fansite, you honestly think there isn't going to be a bias?
4) It's a ripoff, not a cover.

Cecilia:
broken-egg:
Gallagher inspires me pity : he's pissed because green day overshadows him.

Sure.
And you're just pissed off 'cause someone talked bad about Green Day.
Come on, we're not in playground anymore here Rolling Eyes

Cecilia, thanks for saying that. I wish people would listen.

x-Billie and Adie-x:
even if both songs have the same chords it isnt copying cuz there arent enough chords for everyone to use different ones.Anyways the songs are different in their own ways Green Day totally kick oasis' ass. Noel just doesnt like any band being better than his

Do you have a habit of skipping school?

Ginger Nuts:
You know, I doubt it was a rip off, but they probably were somewhat influenced by it... Wonderwall is a beautiful song, after all. (my opinion Rolling Eyes )

And to be quite honest, I don't see how this has anything to do with who has the most 'charisma'...

Charisma often comes with confidence behind it and confidence is the absolute key to performance. Liam Gallagher is a confident, charismatic performer. Noel Gallagher has confidence in his own ability.

SAINTâ„¢:
broken-egg:
Gallagher inspires me pity : he's pissed because green day overshadows him.

lol chyeah.
pretty much noone cares about Oasis anymore anyways..
lol gallagher is a washed up, bitter man.

Oasis just toured the world selling out stadiums. They still sell an arse load of records every month. Definitely Maybe is the album that defined a generation. Noel has been generating amazing publicity with low key acoustic performances for charity in the last month of two.

=):
Yuss, Green Day was listening to Wonderwall one day and said, "OMG GUYS. Let's totally make a rip off of this song that doesn't even sound like it and let's see if anyone notices and might decide to sue us for our money!" tehe

The Grocery Store clerk/American Idiot thing was much funnier.

Plagiarism doesn't work like that, "I'm writing a song, I'll put the radio on. I like that.".

anti-christ of suburbia:
Danchili:
Did you notice that BOBD is the song that won the grammy? Think

excellent point if you ask me. but no one did. Pat

Here are the awards Oasis won in the Wonderwall era.

Brit Awards: Best British Album - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, Best British Group, and Best British Video - Wonderwall
NME Awards: Best Band, Best Live Band, Best Album - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, and Best Single - Wonderwall
Q Award: Best Act in the World Today
MTV Europe Music Awards: Best Group and Best Song - Wonderwall

They also just won the outstanding contribution to music award. Not to mention Wonderwall was nominated for the grammy.

You're all violently blinkered. I think it is a definite flag point that Gallagher can recognise a copy of his own song, Green Day's music is so... generic. It's cookie cutter stuff. The 'rock operas' were 5 mediocre songs tied together with modulations. At least Oasis have matured in their musical ability, all Green Day seem to have done is learn how to add a few extra notes into their chords, mention a name in 3 different songs on an album and call it a concept album and teaming up with the man with his head jammed up his arse.

I feel better for doing that, I missed the last 6 pages of this thread.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 31st, 2006 at 05:35pm
A few points, do hope you do not mind, squire.

Robbie:
You're all violently blinkered.

1. Well, dig deeper Watson, fans of Green day on a Green Day fansite are sticking up for...oh my goodness...Green Day! Shock Horror. You're an intelligent fellow, I'd have thought you would have grasped that, unless you being very secretive in your concelment of your sarcasm.

Robbie:
I think it is a definite flag point that Gallagher can recognise a copy of his own song, Green Day's music is so... generic. It's cookie cutter stuff...At least Oasis have matured in their musical ability...

2. People could argue that Oasis are stuck in 90's Indie scene and did nothing to move onwards. Faith Their music has - in your opinion - matured. If you listened to every album of Green Day's in chronological order then you can see that there is maturity there. Also, you claimed earlier that most of Green Day's mishaps had been immature. I consider drunken brawls on par with crapping of a balcony, minus the bruises, of course. Also, most of those incidents with Green Day were around the same time as Oasis's own. Faith Since Billie's DUI and Liam's last scrap, they have been quiet and good little bands.

Robbie:
The 'rock operas' were 5 mediocre songs tied together with modulations.

3. Hmm, again, have I over-estimated your intelligence? I was so sure that Green Day's American Idiot had 13 songs, not five. Think and it was one solid 'rock opera'. I am hoping that was merely a grammarmatical error than your own error.

Robbie:
All Green Day seem to have done is learn how to add a few extra notes into their chords, mention a name in 3 different songs on an album and call it a concept album...

4. Isn't that maturing? Oasis were so skilled that they just had to improve their lyrical contents than their chords. Wow!

Robbie:
and teaming up with the man with his head jammed up his arse.

5. Do all these people have their 'heads jammed up their arses' too? You have a very Republican, very traditional view point on Bono. It's quite sad really. However, that is highly offtopic and I feel that you should leave comments like that for the U2/Green Day HOMG thread - as will I. However, just to contradict myself a tad, I don't think whom people work with matters all that much, do you?

I also think the whole affiar is the most ironic thing I have ever heard. I think this will all dissolve soo n enough. Cassie

From Wikipedia:
The band also garnered attention due to Noel Gallagher's penchant for taking the odd riff or lyrics from other artists. The track "Cigarettes & Alcohol" had a main riff which Noel Gallagher admitted he'd taken directly from T. Rex's 1972 release "Get it On". "Supersonic" had a guitar solo reminscent of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" and "Shakermaker" was reportedly the subject of legal action by the New Seekers due to the heavy similarity with their song "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing".

I'd also like ot point out that BOBD was first let loose on the AI album in 2004, and in the BOBD single in 2005. What took Noel so long to decide? surely for a song that, come on be fair guys, was used more times on radio stations than the jungles. It's nearly 2007 and now he's claiming?

Faith But of course, my opinion is blinkered and therefore counts for nothing.
White Riot
White Riot
December 31st, 2006 at 05:41pm
Kerplunk Girl:
White Riot:

Oasis aren't boring.

So you'd rather see someone spanking the monkey than have a nice brotherly arguement on stage? One is no better than the next, but I'd think maybe Billie better keep it in his pants.
This sums current Green Day fans well..."yes, let's go watch live music and people fucking themselves!"
I know I may be on a Green Day site, but I'm not sticking up for them anymore.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 31st, 2006 at 05:48pm
White Riot:

So you'd rather see someone spanking the monkey than have a nice brotherly arguement on stage?

He never really does it, lmfao, he's doing it as a gag. Rather odd way, i suppose of "Make love {to yourself}, not war!".

Think and the whole Liam/Noel saga almost culminated in Noel's suicide.

Faith go figure.
Robbie
Robbie
December 31st, 2006 at 07:35pm
Hmm, again, have I over-estimated your intelligence? I was so sure that Green Day's American Idiot had 13 songs, not five. Think and it was one solid 'rock opera'. I am hoping that was merely a grammarmatical error than your own error.

I can't recall a source but I seem to recalled Billie Joe saying something to the effect of "we have some 13 minute long songs on this album, they're like rock operas'.

5. Do all these people have their 'heads jammed up their arses' too? You have a very Republican, very traditional view point on Bono. It's quite sad really. However, that is highly offtopic and I feel that you should leave comments like that for the U2/Green Day HOMG thread - as will I. However, just to contradict myself a tad, I don't think whom people work with matters all that much, do you?

Everybody knows 70% of the people who appeared at Live Aid/Live8 were in it for publicity, 20% out of guilt and the other 10% for a good gesture.

2. People could argue that Oasis are stuck in 90's Indie scene and did nothing to move onwards. Faith Their music has - in your opinion - matured. If you listened to every album of Green Day's in chronological order then you can see that there is maturity there. Also, you claimed earlier that most of Green Day's mishaps had been immature. I consider drunken brawls on par with crapping of a balcony, minus the bruises, of course. Also, most of those incidents with Green Day were around the same time as Oasis's own. Faith Since Billie's DUI and Liam's last scrap, they have been quiet and good little bands.

The Gallaghers have scraps. They are brothers, it happens.

Shitting off balconies and trashing a dressing room for absolutely no reason just seems pathetic to me. Notable is the fact that Oasis are working class Mancunians, and when you're working class in the north of England you just know how to fight, it's survival. You can take the man out of Manchester...

I'm not saying it's right, because it isn't, but there is the probable explanation. John Lennon was infamous for fighting and his cruel temper, and both the Gallaghers and I come from similar backgrounds. I don't necessarily have a bad temper but I'll defend myself to the hilt.

Musically, there is a sea of difference between Supersonic and Turn Up The Sun, you only have to listen to it to hear it. I'm really not in the mood for musical analysis but it's all there. Refined chord structures, subtle vocal hooks, etc.

Green Day have used the same accompaniment for 95% of their music (1/8th 5th chords, mostly major) and one of their more revolutionary musical features (the bass fill, any bassist worth his salt can do it) has seemed to disappear as of late.

I'm sorry, I can't really focus and it is New Years, so I'm going to let this stand for now and bow down until when I get back from football tomorrow.

I like it when people put up a substantial argument. And regarding Noel's brushes with the law, I glossed over that in the hope somebody would actually use the wealth of information called the internet and pick that out.

That is a massive whole in my side of the argument, but Cigarettes and Alcohol/Get It On is a shockingly basic riff (based on the standard rock n roll riff every band in the 50s used) and he does tend to pay royalties.

and, perhaps Noel Gallagher didn't hear it and rush to the papers like the person you all assume him to be? I'd imagine the quote has been taken out of context somewhat, they always are.
Robbie
Robbie
December 31st, 2006 at 07:40pm
White Riot:
Kerplunk Girl:
White Riot:

Oasis aren't boring.

So you'd rather see someone spanking the monkey than have a nice brotherly arguement on stage? One is no better than the next, but I'd think maybe Billie better keep it in his pants.
This sums current Green Day fans well..."yes, let's go watch live music and people fucking themselves!"

One of the faults of Green Day.

Their music isn't growing with them.

80% of the 14-15 year old kids who liked Green Day when they first heard them 7-8 years ago now them at all, from my experience. Look at GSB, a lot of people don't even listen to them any more and most are larger fans of other bands.

Oasis, however have a gigantic fan base both in younger rock fans and people in their mid 20s who were at Knebworth, at Maine Road, etc.

This is surely a sign that Green Day are not evolving?
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
December 31st, 2006 at 08:05pm
Robbie:
White Riot:
Kerplunk Girl:
White Riot:

Oasis aren't boring.

One of the faults of Green Day.

Their music isn't growing with them.

80% of the 14-15 year old kids who liked Green Day when they first heard them 7-8 years ago now them at all, from my experience. Look at GSB, a lot of people don't even listen to them any more and most are larger fans of other bands.

Oasis, however have a gigantic fan base both in younger rock fans and people in their mid 20s who were at Knebworth, at Maine Road, etc.

This is surely a sign that Green Day are not evolving?

Mehhhhh, I think it is =|

dookie ~~~> Ai stuff.
Register