John Roecker, director of 'Live Freaky! Die Freaky!'
Hi, hi, hi there! This (our first) interview is with the one, the only and the very very scarey Mr. John Roecker. We decided that this man needed to be probed when he decided to make a movie using Billie Joe's voice as the main role.... He was really really cool and is still a good friend of the sites.
It is the year 3069 and the Earth has been raped of all it's natural resources, destroyed by the war and ozone depletion, and is now only a barren desert. The humans who inhabit this empty vessel search not only for food but for a god to save them. Their search will soon be over when Charlie returns to save them...
Hellcat Pictures presents a you've got bad taste production. 'Live Freaky! Die Freaky!' an epic motion pictures of puppet proportions. Creepy crawling to you in the fall 2003.
Here comes an interview with a director of Live Freaky! Die Freaky!, John Roecker
- The first thing I'd like to say is thank you for your acceptance to share your time with us.. Well, Green Day fans and many more people that waste their time being on GeekStinkBreath.net, I'm sure they'd like to know some 'details' (except being a director) about yourself.. So can you tell us something more about you and your career?
- I got into the Los Angeles punk scene at an early age in the late seventies and was drawn to the scene and the music like fly on shit. Punk rock died in the eighties and it was a really bleak period in my life so when bands like Green Day and Rancid came out and finished what the others started I was eternally grateful. So I helped out various bands, made videos and a documentary about the early punk rock scene called Forming.
- How did you get an idea for making this movie and what is it all about?
- I got the idea when I was a kid thrift shopping and saw so many copies of the book Helter Skelter and thought that there are so many copies of this book (it seemed more than the bible), that when the apocalypse comes all they are going to find is a copy of Helter Skelter and the new inhabitants on the earth going to make this their bible. The movie is about man's search for spirituality and gods at any cost. And then when they find their gods they use them to control people and make wars. Oh and it is a comedy!
- Who else works with you? Maybe we might get some names of other staff..
- I am working with a staff of animators, the main man Jim Starace is in a band named Punny Human (which features Iann from MTV fame on drums). And Tim Armstrong is the producer who opened his heart and his wallet for our cause.
- 'Live Freaky! Die Freaky!' sounds really peculiar.. Can we expect some of peculiar things in the movie, too?
- Yes, it will be the first X rated puppet movie ever. Lots of sex and what not. It will not look like a tool video but more bright which makes it entirely more creepier.
- We found out that amongst a starring crew prevailing members of punk-rock bands.. What made you choose them and why is the main character based on Green Days frontman, Billie Joe Armstrong?
- I just like working with musicians better than actors, they are more open to different things and would more than likely take a chance on a project like this. And as for Billie Joe that is a no brainier, very gifted performer and I have seen him work up an audience. Very Manson like!
- What about the music in the movie? Based just on punk-rock stuff? Is there any song that Billie Joe sings?
- No, the songs are not punk rock more Broadway show tune like. It sounds like those animated Christmas specials than anything else and it works more effectively because of the lyrics. Yes, Mr. Armstrong has two songs in the movie and I am sure they will go directly to number one in the charts!
- What do you expect from 'Live Freaky! Die Freaky!'? How many Oscars? :)
- I just want to get and F rating in entertainment weekly and a lot of Oscars for the cast because they are incredible and very generous with their time. I was overwhelmed with everyone's generosity that I hope something good happens or I guess it is back to our day jobs.
- Aaand the final question.. Is Billie Joes character going to end up dead? (if we don't ask too much to get revealed)
- No, in fact he lives on forever. That is the beauty of it. I reveal what everyone else knew all the time that Billie Joe Armstrong is god!