Writing Songs

AuthorMessage
billie_joe_fit
King For A Couple Of Days
billie_joe_fit
January 21st, 2006 at 07:31am
Anyone got any tips on how to write songs? Either from the guitar point of view or lyrics.
I have all these ideas for lyrics in my head but I cant put them to good lyrics. And when I make songs on guitar, they sound so pop like. How can I make them better?
Is there a certian way in which to do it?

Please post your ideas here, or what it is that you do to make songs yourselves. It would be much appreciated.
*meggy72*wants2bminority
Geek
*meggy72*wants2bminority
January 21st, 2006 at 04:14pm
Megans tips for making good song lyrics -

-make sure you know what your song is about first!
- make sure your song MEANS something... or the meaning means a LOT to you! just let the song COME to you in a way, like hit you!
- for better wording in the songs, read a lot of books, find fancy cool words that are hard and hardly ever said - simple words make the song somewhat boring
- if you want your song to rhyme and you get stuck, sing the abcs, and try a word that rhymes with the one your stuck with for every letter - you'll come up with SOMETHING!!!!
- dont listen to music while writing the song!!!!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 21st, 2006 at 04:22pm
*meggy72*wants2bminority:
Megans tips for making good song

LMAO@ your name.

Wink
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
Jackass
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker
January 21st, 2006 at 05:37pm
....EXPERIMENT...

especially with lyrics.......try unusual structures or phrasings

.....and the best guitar effects can be found....in the strangest ways

S.
Faith
Addict
Faith
January 21st, 2006 at 06:23pm
Go to ebay and buy a talent - everything else with work out by itself.

No, seriously, you don't need tips. Just do what you feel like and it will work out. Sometimes you don't need a rythm or rhyme, sometimes just singing what you're thinking can become a good song. Maybe just write down/record a stream of thought and them pick out the best parts. Sometimes that works
cheese_for_a_day
Falling In Love With The Board
cheese_for_a_day
January 21st, 2006 at 10:23pm
*meggy72*wants2bminority:

- if you want your song to rhyme and you get stuck, sing the abcs, and try a word that rhymes with the one your stuck with for every letter - you'll come up with SOMETHING!!!!
- dont listen to music while writing the song!!!!

Laughing i do that first part sometimes..i dont know why thats funny..but oh well..hah..

and as for not listening to music when you're trying to write a song, i agree with that cuase then your song might sound just like what you're listening to
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
January 22nd, 2006 at 12:41am
I usually get my tunes when I'm listening to music. I'll try to hum along to it and then I'll screw up and just come up with something different. I came up with something just from humming along to my basketcase rington and I screwed up and came out with something weird.

Lyrics... I'm having a problem with that too.
*meggy72*wants2bminority
Geek
*meggy72*wants2bminority
January 22nd, 2006 at 01:31pm
The Fool On The Hill:
I usually get my tunes when I'm listening to music. I'll try to hum along to it and then I'll screw up and just come up with something different. I came up with something just from humming along to my basketcase rington and I screwed up and came out with something weird.

Lyrics... I'm having a problem with that too.

yea i do things like that!!! one time, i was listening to 'The Grouch' and came up with a new rocking christmas song about how christmas is depressing after a while ... lmao!!!!
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
January 22nd, 2006 at 01:33pm
Sweeeet. Yay for randomness *high fives* Wink
Tre_Bangs_Hard
Geek
Tre_Bangs_Hard
January 24th, 2006 at 10:52pm
Just write something down and pray it makes sense....lmfao...
but really i just write the things in my head down and then fix it up...
Green_Tre
Geek
Green_Tre
January 24th, 2006 at 10:57pm
For lyrics just write out exactly what comes to mind, no worries about rhyming/verses/if it makes sense xD

After it's all there, start editting it to something that you would listen to yourself. Don't worry about what other people will think; if you like it, then it's perfect.

As for guitar (this can go for any instrument, I mean, I play drums x3) just start by randomly playing anything. Slowly you'll find something you like, even if it's just one power chord or something. Then just add to that. Eventually it'll be a full fledged song! Then you just need to fit the words to the music, and voila!! Very Happy

Good luck <3 I know it can be hard writing songs, trust me Wink
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
January 28th, 2006 at 01:14am
I love metaphorical lyrics. That's why I lvoe Jesus Of Suburbia so much. These are two lines of what I've made up so far (don't steal, even if they do suck)

A single mark to paper and it will never be the same
It can be covered up but the image will never fade

All metaphorical. I was screwed up in the head a few weeks ago and came up with that while writing something down in class. o_0 But try to find something you want to write about and see if you can find something to relate it too and put it there. For me, the songs that mean the most are the sognst aht don't just go out and say something, they make you think about it. Cool
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
January 28th, 2006 at 06:08am
I suck at writing songs. I've only written one good one, it's called "I have real problems and I cry" and it's in the poetry forum. It's so emo and sad, it just touches me ;_;
k-contentbarrier-
Addict
k-contentbarrier-
February 3rd, 2006 at 01:08am
watch TV
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
February 3rd, 2006 at 08:02am
Learn to play some old country song and name it 'Untitled (how old is this country song?)' and send it to a record conpany.

Almost how Simple Plan made it to the top.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
February 3rd, 2006 at 08:05am
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Learn to play some old country song and name it 'Untitled (how old is this country song?)' and send it to a record conpany.

Almost how Simple Plan made it to the top.
o.o

lmfao
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
February 5th, 2006 at 03:16pm
music first: lyrics last

most great musicians don't write their lyrics until the day they record (Nirvana, Metallica, etc.
Kitti
Kitti
February 5th, 2006 at 06:38pm
spill_no_sick:

most great musicians don't write their lyrics until the day they record (Nirvana, Metallica, etc.

Lyrics are way overrated anyway.
I'd rather sing lyrics I hate with music I love than the other way around. I don't know about the rest of the world...
*meggy72*wants2bminority
Geek
*meggy72*wants2bminority
February 12th, 2006 at 11:49am
paradoxical:
spill_no_sick:

Lyrics are way overrated anyway.
I'd rather sing lyrics I hate with music I love than the other way around. I don't know about the rest of the world...

i think that lyrics r first actually... but probably only cuz i like to write poems along with songs.... but i think that the music is just as important as lyrics
Rockaway Beach
Jackass
Rockaway Beach
February 12th, 2006 at 12:27pm
I agree with everything *meggy72*wants2bminority has said. But also, if you go to poetry.com you can search for rhymes, definitions, related words ect. if you having trouble finding the right words or something. I use it all the time for my poems.
Register