Writing Songs

AuthorMessage
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
April 14th, 2006 at 10:38am
spill_no_sick:
music first: lyrics last

most great musicians don't write their lyrics until the day they record (Nirvana, Metallica, etc.

Haha yeah. Kurt Cobain would write his lyrics right before they actually went to perform it in the studio.
Mikelvr
King For A Couple Of Days
Mikelvr
April 14th, 2006 at 11:01am
I personnaly think that lyrics should go first.
I write lyrics with meaning. That's what I search in other's work.

It's sure that a great music can be everything, but I'd rather try to have both. Good music and good words, than just one of them...
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
April 14th, 2006 at 04:27pm
Well, if you're one of those people who are always constantly thinking about...the ways of life and random stuff... lyrics should come easy to you when you suddenly hear or see something that inspires you.
KATH!
Idiot
KATH!
April 14th, 2006 at 05:26pm
Why can't there be both good music and great lyrics? ._. I try to listen to bands that have both, because I believe that what makes a great band is a balance of both.
I mean, I wouldn't listen to a band that only has good lyrics but sucky instruments, because I don't consider that music. If I want good lyrics only, I'd read poetry ._.
But I do listen to Primus, and their lyrics aren't the deepest thing ^^; but their instruments are awsome ._.
So, yeah รด_.
k-contentbarrier-
Addict
k-contentbarrier-
April 14th, 2006 at 08:08pm
aw, come on, y'guys, Simple Plan ain't THAT bad...
Less Than Jack
Falling In Love With The Board
Less Than Jack
April 14th, 2006 at 08:17pm
billie_joe_fit:
Anyone got any tips on how to write songs? Either from the guitar point of view or lyrics.
I have all these ideas for lyrics in my head but I cant put them to good lyrics. And when I make songs on guitar, they sound so pop like. How can I make them better?
Is there a certian way in which to do it?

Please post your ideas here, or what it is that you do to make songs yourselves. It would be much appreciated.
if all you're guitar riffs come out like pop. then maybe that's what you were meant to play. Cool
kidmercury
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kidmercury
April 21st, 2006 at 06:55am
Songwriting is where music theory can be really valuable, in my opinion. If you identify the scale and key you're writing in, you can write a melody so that you have a singing tune that matches. To do it well really requires knowing your scales well, in my opinion, but it can be a very powerful technique.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
April 23rd, 2006 at 07:50am
spill_no_sick:
music first: lyrics last

most great musicians don't write their lyrics until the day they record (Nirvana, Metallica, etc.

But just because they write their lyrics until the day they record doesn't make them the great musicians.

I think that you should write music first, but also concentrate on writing great lyrics.

And if you want to do that, just write down everything that comes into your head. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing. if you think of something that can be made into lyrics, even if its only one line or two lines, whatever, just write it down, or keep it going around your head so you remember it when you cal actually write it down.

The way my band works, the guitarist just plays around, and then I hear something in his twangings that couldn't be called music, and I start playing a beat on the drums. And then he gets an idea from my drums, and makes up a guitar riff.
xXx depressed_emo xXx
Geek
xXx depressed_emo xXx
May 7th, 2006 at 03:58am
muck around with the song on instruments.....then write the lyrics.....then do the actual piece
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
May 8th, 2006 at 01:05am
*meggy72*wants2bminority:
Megans tips for making good song lyrics -

-make sure you know what your song is about first!
- make sure your song MEANS something... or the meaning means a LOT to you! just let the song COME to you in a way, like hit you!
- for better wording in the songs, read a lot of books, find fancy cool words that are hard and hardly ever said - simple words make the song somewhat boring
- if you want your song to rhyme and you get stuck, sing the abcs, and try a word that rhymes with the one your stuck with for every letter - you'll come up with SOMETHING!!!!
- dont listen to music while writing the song!!!!
Thank You So Much! I Finally Wrote My First Full Song! Very Happy
Wey
Geek
Wey
May 26th, 2006 at 09:05am
I don't have to need inspiration when I'm writing a song. I sit, listen to Green Day and there's my song.
I've wrote 30 songs in a couple of weeks at that way.
love.
love.
May 28th, 2006 at 12:35pm
write random things down and put them together, thats what i try to do.
whoa
whoa
May 28th, 2006 at 01:13pm
What works best for me is, being extremely emotional at that point. So far over that I feel as if I will burst. Then I sit and write something so that it evolves into a song. Sometimes they are good, other times not so much. The key is to be inspired.
Deadboy
Geek
Deadboy

Mibba Blog
November 27th, 2006 at 12:15am
it helps me when theres NO music playing when i write songs because it's hard to write my own when im listening to someone elses.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
November 27th, 2006 at 08:07pm
whoa:
What works best for me is, being extremely emotional at that point. So far over that I feel as if I will burst. Then I sit and write something so that it evolves into a song. Sometimes they are good, other times not so much. The key is to be inspired.

I write almost exactly like that...I can't just sit down and write a song after a random average day. I have to be really sad or really happy or feeling really strongly about something. And I also can't listen to other music while I'm writing because then I wind up ripping off whatever I'm listening to.
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
November 27th, 2006 at 08:29pm
ME TOO!! I write best when I'm extremely upset or mad or angry. Not when I'm happy. Oh god I sound emo now lmfao.
I always end up ripping off a tiny bit of the song I have in my head or that I just listened to.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
November 27th, 2006 at 08:56pm
ELANA'S EMO. *giggle*

One time I deliberately tried to write a song that would sound like an RHCP song. It actually kinda did..go me.
hay lin
Idiot
hay lin
November 30th, 2006 at 02:20am
I can only write if I'm upset or angry or sad. That's why I've haven't write any more for a long time; I'm happy all the time. Razz
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 3rd, 2006 at 06:58pm
Janie Jones:
ELANA'S EMO. *giggle*

One time I deliberately tried to write a song that would sound like an RHCP song. It actually kinda did..go me.
Just use at least one line containing some form of the word "California" and, bam, you have a Chili Peppers song! lmfao I love the Chilis Very Happy
xXAmagadXx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xXAmagadXx
December 5th, 2006 at 09:38pm
copy basslines/chords of another song then change em a bit
Register