Writing Songs

AuthorMessage
TrainSpotting
Geek
TrainSpotting
October 17th, 2007 at 03:33pm
This sounds cheesy and simple, I know, but I always just let it come to me. Lyrics or music. f you try to force anything, chances are it'll turn out shite. Try to envision the song in your head and write what you hear/what comes to you. As far as guitar riffs go, sometimes just fiddling around'll bring about some pretty sweet shite.
fantanoice
Geek
fantanoice
November 19th, 2007 at 06:01am
Yes, I understand this topic has been inactive for more than 30 days Razz.

When I write songs I usually consider what I'm thinking about at that moment in time. I may write a brief journal entry or something to get what I'm thinking about on paper first. Then I consider the lyrics. I like lyrics to rhyme, so I usually think of words with similar phonetics in them (AKA, similar sounds Razz) and rephrase lines to make them rhyme.

As for rhythms and melodies, they usually come to you as you write.

Hope that helped. Wink
Rocker Chic
King For A Couple Of Days
Rocker Chic

Blog
February 13th, 2008 at 08:10pm
Many times the 1st verse will come to me, and then I build off of that. I love writing songs.
totoro
Geek
totoro

Mibba
June 23rd, 2008 at 06:06pm
when it comes to music, I actually have a good advice: tape recorder. you just play on the guitar/piano/whatever, improvise while you record. then you listen to it and pick out what you can use. put it together, write it down.

I don't really think it matters if you write the music or the lyrics first. it's not like you can't change the lyrics if they don't fit the music! or the other way around.

when it comes to lyrics I don't really have any good advice. all I can say is:
writing is rewriting; edit.
don't expect that it'll be perfect first time you try. you might have to change things, rewrite, edit, etc.
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
June 24th, 2008 at 03:44pm
Try to look inside yourself and see what feelings you have that day and just let those feelings come out on the paper. I've written lots of songs and now I'm going to put them to music.
Joshontheguitar
Geek
Joshontheguitar
June 30th, 2008 at 10:53pm
i just start writing

when it comes to hardcore and metal, thats the easiest way because metal vocal lines are so easy to manipulate

as for most music, just let it flow, don't think about what you are gonna write, just do it. Thats when it comes out the best. then when its done, you can look back on it and understand whats going on in your subconscious and you have a really trippy song. Often you will have to edit it, but over all it turns out decent

as for guitar

don't listen to music when you write!!!

it will contaminate your originality

if you wanna play punk, just fuck around, if you wanna play metal, learn some music theory
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
August 7th, 2008 at 10:40am
I've been writing more songs because there's been stuff in my life that's been happening and I need to get my feelings out about it. There are some angry songs and slower songs.
StraightFromdaFridge
Geek
StraightFromdaFridge
August 16th, 2008 at 04:45pm
^ Yeah, I've noticed I tend to write more if I'm in any sort of negatively emotional mood. I can't write happy songs. I just don't see the point. Though if I'm writing something silly, all I really need is a concept and a bit of motivation.
Register