Knowing the language

AuthorMessage
Fawchy.
Jackass
Fawchy.
June 2nd, 2005 at 01:47pm
If you come to sweden to get a job, you have to learn swedish properly before you can get a job, if you don't start a own company. But you can take a job where you don't have to talk so much while you learn the language. Even if you're one of the best scientists in the world, you can't start working until you can speak the language properly. It's different in every country, in some it's like sweden, and in some you don't have to learn the language. I was wondering what you think about this, should you have to know the lanuage properly before you can start to work as what you got educated to be?
And I know, the name of this topic aren't great, but I couldn't think of anything else.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
June 2nd, 2005 at 01:50pm
on some jobs, if you're working for McDonalds you shouldn't
if you're applying for something harder you should need to know it
Fawchy.
Jackass
Fawchy.
June 2nd, 2005 at 01:53pm
spill_no_sick:

well, there was an indian brain scientist that came to sweden, but after a year or so he got tired of it, because he didn't get to work because he didn't know the language that great. Although he could make people understand him. Then he moved to America, and there he have done some great things. This is when you wonder why everyone that comes here needs to know the language as good as us. Because it's really hard to learn a language when you're older.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 2nd, 2005 at 01:57pm
No Music No Life:
spill_no_sick:

well, there was an indian brain scientist that came to sweden, but after a year or so he got tired of it, because he didn't get to work because he didn't know the language that great. Although he could make people understand him. Then he moved to America, and there he have done some great things. This is when you wonder why everyone that comes here needs to know the language as good as us. Because it's really hard to learn a language when you're older.
well, I think that he should learn the language..it takes about a year at the most..unless you're learning stupid English, that takes forever
suzie_k
suzie_k
June 2nd, 2005 at 06:33pm
I would love for people to have to learn Irish. Why should nationals have to accommodate a foreigners language.
Ilse
Ilse
June 2nd, 2005 at 06:47pm
If you work in America, speak at least basic english.
If you work in (fill in the blank), learn (fill in the blank)

Simple.
grxxn dxy nxmrxd
Geek
grxxn dxy nxmrxd
June 2nd, 2005 at 08:45pm
i think if u live and work in the country u should know the language. that's all too it. i can go on vacation to france and not know french cuz that's temperary but if i live there i thnk it's polite i guess and common curtacy to atleast have a basic understanding of the language.

P.S. sorry if i spelled some words wrong
*Blinded*By*The*Silence*
Idiot
*Blinded*By*The*Silence*
June 3rd, 2005 at 12:06am
ok so if i was from spain..and i moved to America i would speak spanish..i would more than likely know at least SOME english...but i'd still have an accent...people can't help that...and you know if i had kids i'd still want to carry on my heritage so i'd speak spainsh and english so they'd learn both.. so basically...i think yeah you need to know enough of the countrys language so you can live but if you want to speak your native language when your walking down the road do it..
Astra Slappy
King For A Couple Of Days
Astra Slappy
June 3rd, 2005 at 03:57am
No Music No Life:
If you come to sweden to get a job, you have to learn swedish properly before you can get a job, if you don't start a own company. But you can take a job where you don't have to talk so much while you learn the language. Even if you're one of the best scientists in the world, you can't start working until you can speak the language properly. It's different in every country, in some it's like sweden, and in some you don't have to learn the language. I was wondering what you think about this, should you have to know the lanuage properly before you can start to work as what you got educated to be?
And I know, the name of this topic aren't great, but I couldn't think of anything else.

I think it's a good name Very Happy It got my attention!
We're having a similar problem in NZ at the moment, we've got a lot of Asian people coming to live here and work here (particularly uni students) who can't really speak English and it's a real pain all-round -- for them as well as for the people they're working with. It must be horrible, really frustrating, not to be understood properly. There was an English language test the Immigration ministry implemented, but people were bribing the tutors and passing it with poor English skills. A lot of people complain about the Asian people coming to live here (I don't mind at all -- I like people of all races etc) but rather than racism, I think a lot of people get frustrated with the language barrier. Swedish is a difficult one but I don't think it should be too hard to learn English -- it is one of the most-spoken languages in the world! I know it's hard to learn, but in my opinion it's even harder to try and get an education or make a living when you can't understand anyone and no-one understands you.
BTW I don't think accents are a problem. It's fluency and comprehension that are important.
† foresaken †
Geek
† foresaken †
June 3rd, 2005 at 05:28am
You should know the language if you're moving to anither country i hate it when you see people that can't speak english and are trying to serve you in a restaurant and you can't inderstand them and they can't understand you.
Gillian
King For A Couple Of Days
Gillian
June 3rd, 2005 at 11:49am
I think it's common courtesy to at least try and learn the language. English speakers can be so ignorant, however English is the most widely used language in the world. Some people say learning other languages is now redundant because everyone is being taught English, but if that is the case why do we still learn French, Spanish, German etc. in schools?
† foresaken †
Geek
† foresaken †
June 3rd, 2005 at 11:51am
Gillian:
I think it's common courtesy to at least try and learn the language. English speakers can be so ignorant, however English is the most widely used language in the world. Some people say learning other languages is now redundant because everyone is being taught English, but if that is the case why do we still learn French, Spanish, German etc. in schools?

xactly
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 3rd, 2005 at 12:06pm
English should be changed
it's too hard to learn
suzie_k
suzie_k
June 3rd, 2005 at 12:26pm
My native language is dying out because of the english conalizing Ireland years ago. Now hardly anyone speaks it. And i Think Its a majour loss to my culture.
kueibe
Idiot
kueibe
June 3rd, 2005 at 08:43pm
well, we have to learn english since we got into kindergarten, and I don't think this is nonsense, cuz we DO know english is a important language when you want to communicate with the world.

yet, I find english is a lfe-learning language and we found english is pretty hard to handle it well, cuz my mother tongue is very different from english (I mean their language system) though we use english as a language used during most of our lessons, i still find it's difficult, I guess that's because english and Chinese need to use a totally different thinking mode to speak...

And, well , for the question "should you have to know the lanuage properly before you can start to work as what you got educated to be? ' I think my answer is "YES", um... try to think with the point of view of the company owner, are you willing to employ a person which can't speak the native language rather than a native speaker? When you work in company, you hv to communciate with the others and not everyone of them can speak some other language that can communicate with the non native employee, so that's why i think it's important to know the lanuage properly before you can start to work as what you got educated to be.
fancy pants
Post Whore
fancy pants
June 3rd, 2005 at 08:51pm
I think it's suckeh that immigrants to America get financial help from the government because they don't speak English. If they live here, they need to learn enough English to get by and get a job to support themselves. Most countries don't treat immigrants to their countries nearly that well. Instead of helping them out financially they need to give them English as a second language classes. If you're going to move to any country you should be expected to learn their main language. I wouldn't go to France and expect the French government to help me because I can't communicate with people. If I were to go to France I would learn French. Duh.
Quit Reading My Name
Jackass
Quit Reading My Name
June 4th, 2005 at 11:06am
I don't think that it should be complusory, just VERY highly recommended so that you can understand what the people are going on about.
The Duck's Nuts
The Duck's Nuts
June 23rd, 2005 at 07:40pm
english isn't the most commonly used language, it's the hardest. Mandarin is the most commonly used language... i think that if you're going to live in a country then you should know the language, and if you're only going there for a few weeks then should at least know the basics.
kueibe
Idiot
kueibe
June 25th, 2005 at 09:32am
question_everything:
english isn't the most commonly used language, it's the hardest. Mandarin is the most commonly used language... i think that if you're going to live in a country then you should know the language, and if you're only going there for a few weeks then should at least know the basics.

I think Mandarin is the language used by most of the world population but not the most commonly used one cus it is not popular in the world, however english is the most commonly used in the international communication.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
June 25th, 2005 at 09:45am
spill_no_sick:
English should be changed
it's too hard to learn
danish (for examble) is a very hard language too!
and if you took two babies and learned one of them danish and one of them english, at the same time, the english kid, would learn the language alot earlier. i've heard this somewhere, but english is the world-language and most people understand english because it's learned in school, so that the kids can communicate with people from all over the world Very Happy
english probably isn't the easiest language but it's not the hardest either..
Register