Knowing the language

AuthorMessage
Laurie*L.
Geek
Laurie*L.
March 17th, 2006 at 03:57pm
In here,even in the crappiest jobs,now it's necessary to know english.The thing is,when ppl from other countries come here,and they only know english,they don't have to learn spanish,wich is our main language. Confused I've seen a lot of ppl that doesn't even know the basics. Mad
Fuck Off And Die!
Geek
Fuck Off And Die!
March 18th, 2006 at 03:20pm
I don`t think I would have liked to have a job in a country, if I didn`t get what the people around me was saying.

But I get swedish. Wink
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
March 18th, 2006 at 06:41pm
In Canada, or in Quebec, at least, it's just an unwritten law, if you will. If you can't speak the language perfectly (i.e. french, here) employers won't ignore you. If you can do a proper job, you probably have a chance. Of course, you have to be able to make yourself understandable. That's just a base, right?

But then again, there's also the fact that, in my opinion, even if I'm a french-speaking Canadian, I think French is a difficult language. I don't have too many problems, because I've been speaking it since I knew how to talk, but I sympathize with those who have to learn it from zero.

All that to say that I don't think Quebec has a law preventing non-french speakers to get a job.
blood
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
blood
March 22nd, 2006 at 04:09pm
I think people should have the decency to take the time to learn a language if they are going to live and work in a different country. Its no good not being able to speak or understand what other people are saying, for you or for the people listening to you. This boy from Belgium came to live in England and went to my school, he was native to the French tounge, but he could speak fairly fluent English, he learnt eventually just from being around us.

Basicly I think you just need to know the basics, then you can pick up the rest there.
a-dawg.
Falling In Love With The Board
a-dawg.
March 23rd, 2006 at 01:34pm
blood:
I think people should have the decency to take the time to learn a language if they are going to live and work in a different country. Its no good not being able to speak or understand what other people are saying, for you or for the people listening to you. This boy from Belgium came to live in England and went to my school, he was native to the French tounge, but he could speak fairly fluent English, he learnt eventually just from being around us.

Basicly I think you just need to know the basics, then you can pick up the rest there.
That's like me. Only I went from Ireland to Belgium and now I speak almost fluent French.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 18th, 2006 at 10:04pm
I'm just pocting this here, because i don't wanna ge banned for spaming or something. Rolling Eyes

Sheepo@_@:
White As Snow.:
Mike_is_sexy_86:
"America will not be a bilingual country. If you want to live in this country, you have to speak english" - The Prez

Racist much
uhhh... no.

that's not being racist.

but if you're gonna live in fucking America, you should be able to speak English like the rest of us.
Wow. So I guess my grandma should go back to Mexico, even though she wasnt born there. Its not that easy to learn a new language especially if you were'nt taught it or were able to go to school.
apparently ou didn't read what I wrote before... no?
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
December 18th, 2006 at 10:06pm
White As Snow.:
I'm just pocting this here, because i don't wanna ge banned for spaming or something. Rolling Eyes

Sheepo@_@:
White As Snow.:
Mike_is_sexy_86:
"America will not be a bilingual country. If you want to live in this country, you have to speak english" - The Prez

Racist much
uhhh... no.

that's not being racist.

but if you're gonna live in fucking America, you should be able to speak English like the rest of us.
Wow. So I guess my grandma should go back to Mexico, even though she wasnt born there. Its not that easy to learn a new language especially if you were'nt taught it or were able to go to school.
No please enlighten me with what you posted before.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 19th, 2006 at 12:10pm
What about Cherokee?
Why do Americans not have to speak that?
I doubt those bastard puritans gave a damn about learning the lingo while they tore down a nation.
If you're gonna live in fucking America, you should be able to speak Cherokee like the rest of them.

Only it doesn't work like that, does it.
cactus.
cactus.
December 19th, 2006 at 01:39pm
I don't get why people get so bothered and worked up about this.
It's not so easy to learn a foreign language, especially if you start it when you're older. It's hard for me in school, not to mention for let's say a 40 year old person who never in his life had to speak that language.
Another thing is that a lot of the immigrants don't have such good jobs either. They work in factories, in agriculture, or as seen on TV like maids, gardeners etc. If they don't necessarily need to know the language, why would they bother learning it? I believe they do have a lot more important issues then that, such as feeding your family and having a decent life.

Still, if you work around people that speak a different language, it's impossible not to learn . I doubt there are many foreigners that don't know one bit of the language of the country that they are staying in.
Besides, why would foreigners bother me? Because I'm proud of my nation and want it to be perfect? Because I was the one fighting for it, it's freedom and rights? No, just because one day I went to the store and the lady at the checkout didn't quite understand what I was saying. On a daily basis, how many time can you encounter foreigners, so that it can annoy you so much?

Maybe irelevant, but how many of the English native speakers know another language? Very few I believe, and that's just because the whole world is suppossed to know English and they don't need it.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 19th, 2006 at 02:53pm
If you are going to a country to live and work, then you should learn the language.

End of story.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 19th, 2006 at 03:53pm
WeFoundTheDuck:
If you are going to a country to live and work, then you should learn the language.

End of story.

Why?

I hate to say this, but your opinion is not "end of story" Wink
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 20th, 2006 at 04:30pm
Sheepo@_@:
White As Snow.:

Sheepo@_@:
White As Snow.:
Mike_is_sexy_86:

Racist much
uhhh... no.

that's not being racist.

No please enlighten me with what you posted before.
sorry, I meant ot say what I wrote in the Bush quotes thread.

maybe like, page 3?
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 20th, 2006 at 11:21pm
Bloodraine:
WeFoundTheDuck:

End of story.

Why?

I hate to say this, but your opinion is not "end of story" Wink

Embarassed

Pardon me. I got carried away.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
December 21st, 2006 at 03:21am
Well, if you are going to work in some other country you should at least try to know the language and if you dont you can learn it there. I mean, if people came to work in Croatia, they would have a pretty hard job learning Croatian cause its really hard. But most of the population can speak english or some other language so you can always communicate that way. And I dont see the problem in either talking in other languages you know with other people. I mean, I love to meet people from other countries and practice my english or my french.

I get its more of a trouble when you are working/living somewhere and you dont know that countries language and the people there dont know english. Then its bad, but you can always figure something out.

And if you are going to an english speaking country, I mean a lot of people either know english very well or very bad, but they can learn by time and in the begining you just have to try a bit harder to understand them.

This girl came from Germany, and ok, here parents were Croats so she knew the basics, but she knows a lot more today just cause she is surronded by us and she can always ask us somethng. And the teachers in school help her as well.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
December 21st, 2006 at 06:05am
If you work with people then you need to be able to communicate with them. It's a basic human function.

If you're doing something that doesn't need much communication then you should be able to learn as you work.
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
December 21st, 2006 at 10:21am
Fuck Off And Die!:
I don`t think I would have liked to have a job in a country, if I didn`t get what the people around me was saying.

But I get swedish. Wink

Verkligen? Vad trevligt Smile

Anyway... perhaps Swedish is difficult to learn. I wouldn’t know because it’s my native language and I find it to be the simplest thing in the world. I don’t think English is that hard either, but then again it’s everywhere and I’ve been studying t since I was 9. I even know some Spanish although I have forgotten a lot during the past two years. I know the very basics (and just barely that) of German and Japanese. I can understand written Norwegian (sometimes spoken) and Danish. But I’m young, which makes it easier to learn (I think) but I wouldn’t be able to get by with the little knowledge I have in most of those languages. Unless I moved to that country of course. Because it is easier to learn a language if you’re living in a country where it’s spoken.

To me it’s obvious that you have to learn the language of the country at least well enough to be able to communicate. I mean, I know that I make mistakes when writing and speaking English, but English speaking persons understand what I mean anyway. You should really try and do your best to get as good as possible at speaking [insert language] when you live in [insert country]. It’s not up to the “natives” to learn the language of the person(s) who moved there. Of course people should learn a couple languages at school (at least two, their native and another) but in the end you will need the (right) language to live in the country. It’s much easier for you that way. Smile
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
December 24th, 2006 at 03:52am
there are a lot of asylum seekers/ refugees and EU natives coming into Britain at the moment who dont speak a word of english. they do the most basic jobs or cant get one, but we let them in anyway. in schools they dont have to learn english coz they get translators. really this is a negative thing for those kids because they wont be able to get a good job in our country if they cant speak the language. but apparently we cant make them learn english because its 'racist'. its just common sense, if you are going to live and work in a country, you should be able to speak a language, especially if you come as a child and get a job later.

also, if the kids spoke their native language at home and english at school, they would grow up naturally bi-lingual, which is always usefull (or even more multi-lingual if they take french/spanish/german at school)
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
December 24th, 2006 at 09:55am
spill_no_sick:
English should be changed
it's too hard to learn

I think it's very easy..
Depends of course..
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
December 24th, 2006 at 12:42pm
Make you Smile.:
spill_no_sick:
English should be changed
it's too hard to learn

I think it's very easy..
Depends of course..

Yeah.. see I think people only say that over here... because every person on GSB who learned english as a second language said it was extremely easy.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
December 24th, 2006 at 01:15pm
if iwas going to aouther country to work or live i would do my best to make sure i learn the langauge becuase i know for example that the germans will appreciate the effort. they will help you a lot mopre if you try.
Register