AuthorMessage
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
March 10th, 2006 at 03:39pm
suzie_k:
smooth dude39:
suzie_k:
I would love for people to have to learn Irish. Why should nationals have to accommodate a foreigners language.
no its too hard, besides its dead

when i was in school i made the mistake of not taking Irish seriously. and i really regret it.
i think its a really nice language. and its very poetic.
but we do have out own style of english which comes from irish

Well the way Irish is taught in school isn't helping, I'd love to be able to have a prober conversation in Irish but all I learn in school is how to answer Irish conprehensions and whatever else crops up in the exam.
But I want to know enough Irish to watch Sponge Bob square pants on TG4 without the subtitles! Is that so much to ask?
a-dawg.
Falling In Love With The Board
a-dawg.
March 11th, 2006 at 03:37pm
suzie_k:
My native language is dying out because of the english conalizing Ireland years ago. Now hardly anyone speaks it. And i Think Its a majour loss to my culture.
I don't. Not when I have to learn it in school. They should be teaching kids continental languages instead. I'm fluent in French and have terrible Irish from living in Belgium for three years. I don't care about how bad my Irish is.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
March 11th, 2006 at 09:15pm
John Simm Is Love:
suzie_k:
My native language is dying out because of the english conalizing Ireland years ago. Now hardly anyone speaks it. And i Think Its a majour loss to my culture.
I don't. Not when I have to learn it in school. They should be teaching kids continental languages instead. I'm fluent in French and have terrible Irish from living in Belgium for three years. I don't care about how bad my Irish is.

I think its awful how Irish is dying out.
In France they speak French
In Spain they speak Spanish
In Ireland what do we speak? Irish? No, fucking English. Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with English but its our history and our culture that makes us, that includes our native lanuage, by letting Irish die out we're losing a massive part of who we are.
sachikolo
Geek
sachikolo
March 12th, 2006 at 01:25am
i think you should kno at least enough of the language that you can communicate. i mean, what if you don't know how to do something, how you gonna ask?

what language do they speak in sweden anyways? i thought they spoke french or somethin.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 12th, 2006 at 04:52am
obssesed_w/_GD:
i think you should kno at least enough of the language that you can communicate. i mean, what if you don't know how to do something, how you gonna ask?

what language do they speak in sweden anyways? i thought they spoke french or somethin.

No they speak Swedish.
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
March 12th, 2006 at 06:21am
It depends on job. My mom moved to foreign country because of job, but she couldn't work until she learned the language. She needed to work in a factory or something. But if you are great scientist, you can get a job, I just think so.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
March 12th, 2006 at 07:26am
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
suzie_k:

In Ireland what do we speak? Irish? No, fucking English. Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with English but its our history and our culture that makes us, that includes our native lanuage, by letting Irish die out we're losing a massive part of who we are.
We still have culture. Culture doesn't need language. the biggest band in the world came from Ireland.
*_dragonfly_*
Geek
*_dragonfly_*
March 12th, 2006 at 12:42pm
depends.... a ZOO keeper only spends time with monkeys...
so he doesnt really have to learn any language right?

except then with monkeys o_0
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
March 12th, 2006 at 01:02pm
John Simm Is Love:
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
suzie_k:

We still have culture. Culture doesn't need language. the biggest band in the world came from Ireland.

What about all the songs we have in Irish? lose the lanuage we lose them as well, or are they also not part of our culture?
Also the biggest band in the world happen to have a song called "An Cath Dubh".
suzie_k
suzie_k
March 12th, 2006 at 01:09pm
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
suzie_k:

What about all the songs we have in Irish? lose the lanuage we lose them as well, or are they also not part of our culture?

I think its a real shame loosing our language.
Not many countries as small as ours can claim to have atheir own language.
Mikelvr
King For A Couple Of Days
Mikelvr
March 12th, 2006 at 01:26pm
I guess it cool when you can speak the language properly... And once it's done, well it's done. You speak the language for as long as you need it...
Baguelle
Baguelle
March 12th, 2006 at 01:56pm
I would say it depends on the job, although I also think it's a great idea.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
March 13th, 2006 at 07:16am
spill_no_sick:
English should be changed
it's too hard to learn

I disagree. I'm Croatian and I find English really simple. I learnt it on TV Laughing
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
March 13th, 2006 at 09:59am
i think you should learn the countrys langauge before you move there, the germans i know will treat you better if you at least try.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 13th, 2006 at 11:12am
Cut[e]:
spill_no_sick:
it's too hard to learn

I disagree. I'm Croatian and I find English really simple. I learnt it on TV Laughing

English is a very difficult language to learn; if not the hardest.

Just because you find it easy, doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

I have been speaking English for around fourteen years now, and my grasp of the language and my diction is fairly satisfactory...but by no means have I 'learned' the language yet. I'm still perfecting it. Wink
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
March 13th, 2006 at 01:36pm
Bloodraine:
Cut[e]:
spill_no_sick:
it's too hard to learn

but by no means have I 'learned' the language yet. I'm still perfecting it. Wink

Exactly. I've been pretty good at it for around 8 years.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 13th, 2006 at 01:39pm
Cut[e]:
Exactly. I've been pretty good at it for around 8 years.

You're lucky you have grasped the language so brilliantly in just 8 years Wink

It would take me that long just to get basic Croatian.

See what I mean? You're good at learning a language, but some like me need a long time. It's not the same for everyone.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
March 13th, 2006 at 02:29pm
Yeah, that's understandable. Croatian grammar is harder then English grammar, I think.
And thank you, if you think I'm good Very Happy
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
March 13th, 2006 at 02:36pm
I agree. English is easy. I'm Latvian. Cha.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
March 14th, 2006 at 05:35am
suzie_k:
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
Incubus:
John Simm Is Love:
suzie_k:

I think its a real shame loosing our language.
Not many countries as small as ours can claim to have atheir own language.
Well it's tough when you're being forced to do all honours in your Junior Cert and you've done next to no Irish for the past three years.
Register