Bird flu

AuthorMessage
killing loneliness
Idiot
killing loneliness
April 10th, 2006 at 03:58pm
it will probably reach estonia before the UK. since your country is surrounded by the sea...it's less probable it'll get there next...mainland first.
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
April 10th, 2006 at 06:35pm
Everytime I hear about it I get more and more worried.

I heard some where that it'll kill one eighth of the population and affect one fourth of it
It Had to Be You.
King For A Couple Of Days
It Had to Be You.
April 10th, 2006 at 06:37pm
Fuck_America:

I heard some where that it'll kill one eighth of the population and affect one fourth of it
To tell you the truth, I haven't heard a word of it.
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
April 10th, 2006 at 06:39pm
Panagiotakos.<3:
Fuck_America:

I read and watch the news a lot.

cause I have no life Retard
LiamIsn'tOnFire.
Idiot
LiamIsn'tOnFire.
April 10th, 2006 at 06:43pm
Fuck_America:
Panagiotakos.<3:
Fuck_America:

I read and watch the news a lot.

cause I have no life Retard

it won't be anywhere near that bad, don't worry *huggles*

My philosophy - Meh, I'll worry when I'm dead.
kfk8e
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kfk8e
April 11th, 2006 at 09:41am
Apparently the British flu pandemic in 1918 was cause of a variation of bird flu. If it was able to mutate then, it'll be able to mutate now.
But I'm not too worried - I never get normal flu and I eat stuff off the ground (not if it's rotting though) without getting ill. I guess I have a pretty good immune system. Smile

A lot of people are saying that it only happens if you touch birds, and most people don't do that. I don't think that's quite true - last summer I went to this picnic and there were loads of young children there and we went to feed the ducks at a lake nearby. Soon me and the older children had a competition going on who dared touch the geese Rolling Eyes
I Heart Bunney
Falling In Love With The Board
I Heart Bunney
April 11th, 2006 at 11:42am
kfk8e:
Apparently the British flu pandemic in 1918 was cause of a variation of bird flu. If it was able to mutate then, it'll be able to mutate now.
But I'm not too worried - I never get normal flu and I eat stuff off the ground (not if it's rotting though) without getting ill. I guess I have a pretty good immune system. Smile

A lot of people are saying that it only happens if you touch birds, and most people don't do that. I don't think that's quite true - last summer I went to this picnic and there were loads of young children there and we went to feed the ducks at a lake nearby. Soon me and the older children had a competition going on who dared touch the geese Rolling Eyes

The thing is though in 1918 people died of things that could be cured in a day these days.
kfk8e
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kfk8e
April 11th, 2006 at 12:03pm
Goodbye Forever:
kfk8e:

The thing is though in 1918 people died of things that could be cured in a day these days.

Well yeah, but I don't know if they ever found a cure for the 1918 pandemic because in the end thousands of people died, and the only people who survived had either a natural immunity or had built up one (like if you survived the plague you didn't get it again).

But what I was getting at before was that viruses are able to mutate. In 1918 it mutated into something that hurt humans, even though it only started out as something that harmed birds. This may happen again, and even if a vaccine was made way back then, it may mutate into something different this time around, so the vaccine doesn't work.
xXxFallen AngelxXx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xXxFallen AngelxXx
April 11th, 2006 at 01:26pm
what annoys me is that say 6 months ago when the papers were writing about the threat of brid flu they really hyped it up, and now that its acctually in the country the media is assuring us that we havent to worry. people wouldnt have to worry if they hadnt read all hyped up press about bird flu before. did that make any sense?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 11th, 2006 at 01:29pm
xXxFallen AngelxXx:
what annoys me is that say 6 months ago when the papers were writing about the threat of brid flu they really hyped it up, and now that its acctually in the country the media is assuring us that we havent to worry. people wouldnt have to worry if they hadnt read all hyped up press about bird flu before. did that make any sense?

Yes but then nobody would buy the papers in the first place. Especially *cough* The Sun *cough*
kfk8e
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kfk8e
April 11th, 2006 at 01:37pm
[quote="Bloodraine"]
xXxFallen AngelxXx:
Yes but then nobody would buy the papers in the first place. Especially *cough* The Sun *cough*

lmao that's SOO true!
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
April 11th, 2006 at 01:43pm
xXxFallen AngelxXx:

what irritates me is how everyone is like "we're all going to die"/"it's going to kill a quarter of the population". thats IF it mutates, fucktard.
kfk8e
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kfk8e
April 11th, 2006 at 02:14pm
downloadasexual:
what irritates me is how everyone is like "we're all going to die"/"it's going to kill a quarter of the population". thats IF it mutates, fucktard.

Just looking at the facts it seems quite likely that it will mutate:

1. That's what viruses DO.
2. The last case of bird flu did.

I'm pretty laid back about it - I don't really care if it mutates. If there is another pandemic and I die, it's not like I'm anyone important, so I'll just be one of those nameless thousands who die. If I don't die then I'll have time to make something of my life. If it doesn't mutate then that's just better for everyone (except the birds). Very Happy
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
April 12th, 2006 at 08:14am
kfk8e:
downloadasexual:

I'm pretty laid back about it - I don't really care if it mutates. If there is another pandemic and I die, it's not like I'm anyone important, so I'll just be one of those nameless thousands who die. If I don't die then I'll have time to make something of my life. If it doesn't mutate then that's just better for everyone (except the birds). Very Happy

The thread could Mutate and i think it will, there has been a case about a swan in a park and it had bird flu, that doesnt mean that we should stop our kids or even ourselfs feeding the ducks and swans at our local park.

I wander what it would be like to die from it anyway, painful, not painful,
suicidalbunny*
Idiot
suicidalbunny*
April 12th, 2006 at 03:53pm

You went from saying that the pandemic of 1918 could have been a variation of bird flu. Now you're telling everyone that it definately was and that it will happen again. It killed 200 people [approximately] in Asia. Out of the entire population? I'm not being insensitive, but it doesn't seem like alot. They don't even know for sure whether the swan found in Scotland even died on UK soil. It could have been washed ashore.
kfk8e
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kfk8e
April 12th, 2006 at 06:05pm
suicidal-x-bunny:
You went from saying that the pandemic of 1918 could have been a variation of bird flu. Now you're telling everyone that it definately was and that it will happen again. It killed 200 people [approximately] in Asia. Out of the entire population? I'm not being insensitive, but it doesn't seem like alot. They don't even know for sure whether the swan found in Scotland even died on UK soil. It could have been washed ashore.

Well my source was a Channel 4 TV programme, which stated that in 1918 there was a huge flu pandemic blah blah blah, and now with modern techniques, it has been shown that it was actually a variation of bird flu. I never said that a pandemic like that would happen again, but when faced with the facts, that is the conclusion I have drawn if the virus mutates - no-one can predict the future (unfortunately Wink ).

You are right about it not being a lot of people compared to the overall population - which is good (obviously), but the fact that some people contracted the disease in the first place is slightly worrying to me.

Even if the diseased swan didn't die on UK soil, it was found there, and had traces of the virus on it which means that other birds in that area could get the virus...and of course there are various theories of what that could lead to.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
June 13th, 2006 at 06:49pm
well we have to remember the most of the people who are getting it are broke bird farmers who have birds like liveing in there house
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 13th, 2006 at 06:54pm
_insertstupidnamehere_:
well we have to remember the most of the people who are getting it are broke bird farmers who have birds like liveing in there house
... no
Addison Montgomery.
Falling In Love With The Board
Addison Montgomery.

Mibba Blog
June 14th, 2006 at 10:52am
I don't personally think that we'll die in the not to far future.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
June 20th, 2006 at 03:05pm
quite frankly, every1 overreacts to stuff like this. they overreacted to that SARS thing a few years ago, and theyre overreacting about this. we thought SARS was going to sweep the globe and every1 was going to die, this is going to be exactly the same
Register