Anyone notice something about girls in bands?

AuthorMessage
Dom
Jackass
Dom
June 12th, 2006 at 05:17pm
spill_no_sick:
greenday6:
spill_no_sick:
yeah, but D'arcy was amazing (so was Mellissa but not as amazing) and Meg sucks....it depends on the girl
Yeah, Meg is a pretty basic drummer. But I like the White Stripes, so I figured I'd mention her.
I like them too, but it's all about Jack because he's....well, the only one with much talent

hmm...meg white gets a lot of unneccesary stick, i don't think she 'sucks' i mean its not like she plays songs wrong is it? She just has a simplistic style, but atleast is different to what most bands are doing, and it fits with the stlye of music, and well seeing as Jack improvises a lot during live shows its probably better to keep it simple.
iamkiller
Basket Case
iamkiller

Mibba
June 12th, 2006 at 07:43pm
Eh I don't think it's anything against woman, really.

And I won't go saying "It's more of a guy thing"

I'll just say.. Who cares?
DoodleToes
King For A Couple Of Days
DoodleToes
June 15th, 2006 at 07:39am
READ THIS, ITS FROM NOFX WEBSITE
hey, love you guys and enjoyed reading your q&a. i'm a girl, 16... and i've been playing guitar for 4 years now and am a little discouragaged to take it farther and attempt singing in a group because even though i like tilt and a couple other bands with female leads, i have this hidden feeling in the back of my head that just thinks the sound of a guys voice singing really good punk could never be matched by a girls. i've written a couple of songs and i think they have good potential...i am very curious about your thoughts on girls singing punk...

I hate to admit it, but I kinda agree with you. Punk rock sounds better with guys singing, but there are some big exceptions. Brody from the Distillers is an awesome punk singer, along with Courtney Love, and Polly Styrene from X-Ray spex just to name a few. Mia from the Gits was an amazing singer too. So give it a shot, if your voice isn't so good you can still rip on the axe.

Fat Mike
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
June 18th, 2006 at 10:16am
Well to be honest, there are probably lots of girl bands but it just depends on whether they're good or not which would show their popularity.
Ryan Ross.
Basket Case
Ryan Ross.
June 19th, 2006 at 08:51am
the von bondies are 2 girls and 2 boys and they're amazing Cool
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
June 22nd, 2006 at 04:51pm
girl riot bands were all-girl bands,bikini kill had a male guitarist,but others like L7,Babes in toyland...didnt
brit.
Jackass
brit.
June 29th, 2006 at 08:03am
yeah
ive been thinking of that lately..
and i was thinking, when i become famous and shit..Cool
will i become real famous like GD or will i juts be a sideline band like.. say... that one that was on rove 2 weeks ago..
rage;love;clark
Geek
rage;love;clark
June 29th, 2006 at 09:47am
mindless self indulgence is my favorite band and two of them are girls

girls CAN play

but it's alot tougher

i don't think it's unfair

first of all, it's very hard for girls to get TOO good at the guitar, because their hands are too small

and when you get past punk singing into the metal/ hard rock scene, there's just simply NO place for women

but i do like MSI, Joan Jett, and Gargage
michaeldirnt
Idiot
michaeldirnt
July 1st, 2006 at 02:06pm
i dont like girls voices as much as dudes but thats my opinion i think its cool if they play an instrument but i prefer the guys voices
though i love siouxie sioux and blondie so i guess i dont hate all girls voices
Franny.
Falling In Love With The Board
Franny.
July 2nd, 2006 at 01:35am
rage;love;clark:

girls CAN play

but it's alot tougher

first of all, it's very hard for girls to get TOO good at the guitar, because their hands are too small

and when you get past punk singing into the metal/ hard rock scene, there's just simply NO place for women

what would be your bar for 'TOO good at guitar?'. i'm sure a lot of girls can play the guitar just as well as the guys but the thing is, they somehow just don't get as popular.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
July 2nd, 2006 at 06:32am
GreenDay420:
rage;love;clark:

girls CAN play

but it's alot tougher

what would be your bar for 'TOO good at guitar?'. i'm sure a lot of girls can play the guitar just as well as the guys but the thing is, they somehow just don't get as popular.

I think the thing is with a lot of girls is they give up too easy. You see it so often they play guitar for a few weeks, decided its a bit difficult and switch to bass.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
July 2nd, 2006 at 06:58am
Dom:
GreenDay420:
rage;love;clark:

girls CAN play

but it's alot tougher

I think the thing is with a lot of girls is they give up too easy. You see it so often they play guitar for a few weeks, decided its a bit difficult and switch to bass.

Not really.

Guys do that as well.

I certainly didn't. I've been playing piano since I was 4 or 5. And drums since I was 11. I haven't given up, not at all.

Thats kind of stereotypical, and although some girls do, well, I think just as many guys do as well.
Maiku's Kind Ghost
King For A Couple Of Days
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
July 2nd, 2006 at 05:24pm
What about Lacuna Coil,Evanescence, NO DOUBT, the B-52? those have girls in them and their sucsessfull
Franny.
Franny.
July 3rd, 2006 at 01:32am
Dom:

you're so right. chicks always end up playing bass or singing. we need some insane shred-chick. i can shred a bit, but i'm not insane lol.
*THE_TEENIES_ATTACK!*
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
*THE_TEENIES_ATTACK!*
July 4th, 2006 at 02:34pm
girls can play, but a lot of people think guys play better
Dom
Jackass
Dom
July 8th, 2006 at 05:30am
GreenDay420:
Dom:

you're so right. chicks always end up playing bass or singing. we need some insane shred-chick. i can shred a bit, but i'm not insane lol.

are you a chick? Ive noticed that ive never known of a girl playing guitar in a metal band.
heywhatnow
heywhatnow

Blog
July 8th, 2006 at 02:38pm
Well, if the guys are dominating the music business now, maybe the girls will have their turn in a few years.

And there's nothing wrong with a girl playing bass instead of guitar...
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
July 12th, 2006 at 11:54am
Otep
Hate In The Box
Eva Chavela

All of them have a girl in the front and they all fucking rock.
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
July 12th, 2006 at 11:55am
rage;love;clark:

girls CAN play

but it's alot tougher

*cough* Otep are metal.
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 12:25pm
Guano Apes. Surprised
Register