Anyone notice something about girls in bands?

AuthorMessage
lily allen.
Falling In Love With The Board
lily allen.
February 22nd, 2007 at 01:53pm
There were a lot of crappy pop punk (or whatever they want to be) all female bands a while ago, kind of like Busted, only Busted were much cooler.

And one of 'em, I've forgotten who, had lyrics likes "blah blah blah..so I dyed your eyebrows blue..." or something?

Edit: Yeah that was the Love Bites. o_o
dead like me.
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
dead like me.
March 13th, 2007 at 12:18am
I happen to think that bands with female members are awesome, Hole and The Smashing Pumpkins are my second and third favourite bands.

The gender of a person dosn't really matter to me but I do think it's easier to get really into a band if they are all males.

Just my opinion.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
March 15th, 2007 at 03:16am
i know some girls in bands(our local music school, was it now the 6'th or 7'th grade pop-jazz abnd in which she sang?) are really good singers and the whole band gets along really fine. But well, i'm in the 5'th rgade(music school grades, not regular school, in regular school i'm in da 8'th grade)pop-jazz band, its like the drummer always pics on me, i get back at him but at some point it gets annoying(seriously, though its also funny to some extent)...though yeah, the music industry is dominated by males lol, i dont have a problem with it. I just wanna be in a band, make my music and everyone else who has a problem with it can stick it up their u-no-whats. (my mom has a problem with me swearing constantly so this is a once-a-day time when i wont swear...it was really hard not to say "ass"...damn, now i said it)
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
March 22nd, 2007 at 04:37am
Robots in Disguise are a pretty good girl band..

=]
brompton cocktail.
Idiot
brompton cocktail.

Mibba
April 1st, 2007 at 02:42pm
ohh... In my band, everyone is a boy. Except... ME (ta-duh) And I am the drummer i it!!!!!
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
April 5th, 2007 at 10:35pm
Don't know if it's been posted, but how about Mindless Self Indulgence? Half the band is female... most notably their drummer. Wow.
The Happiest Asshole
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
The Happiest Asshole
April 11th, 2007 at 02:09pm
BillieFATALITY:
I Hole and The Smashing Pumpkins are my second and third favourite bands.

I like Hole too
XD

I think the songs are easier to relate to when a girl sings them. But that's just me.

we want revolution, girl style now!
Angelic Fruitcake
Angelic Fruitcake
April 12th, 2007 at 12:41pm
Pfffft.
Its very true that there are much less girls in rock than guys.
In some of the bands fronted by girls, the rest of band often get ignored, which I think is ridiculous.
Or bands with too many females in them get labeled as girl bands. Erg.
Also, if a band is fronted by a female who doesnt play an instrument, there seems to be a problem, but if you were to have a male fronting a band and just doing vocals, that's just fine. I think that's stupid as well.
That's just...how it is at the minute. It should change sometime....hopefully.
Personally, I couldnt care less if a band is male or female, its the music that matters.
The distillers are one of my favourite bands. Razz

And Im done babbling on now.
Angelic Fruitcake
Angelic Fruitcake
April 12th, 2007 at 12:46pm
SmackSmackSmack.:
There were a lot of crappy pop punk (or whatever they want to be) all female bands a while ago, kind of like Busted, only Busted were much cooler.

And one of 'em, I've forgotten who, had lyrics likes "blah blah blah..so I dyed your eyebrows blue..." or something?

Edit: Yeah that was the Love Bites. o_o

"You broke my heart, so I broke your nose"
Wasnt that the love bits aswell?
Dear god.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
April 20th, 2007 at 02:43pm
Fireflight has two girls in it. They are cool. I don't know how long they've been around, but I have a feeling they won't be breaking up anytime soon.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 23rd, 2007 at 11:45am
I've seen a lot of bands with girls on violin and stuff. Its not really oppression. It's just what the current generation is interested in doing. By the time everyone here is 30, there's going to be more girls in bands as shredders and headbangers and bassists and all sortsa stuff.
tonlistir
Geek
tonlistir
April 23rd, 2007 at 12:48pm
but it's true if you see a girl in a band she's mostly singing a girl who plays an instrument is rare. and bands with boys are more popular than with more girls it seems.
unlucky goose
Geek
unlucky goose
April 28th, 2007 at 08:02pm
it's not anything to argue about, its cool that girls are in bands, like Evanescense, Tool, TaTu, they're all spiffy bands, and there's nothing wrong with them...
the-angel-and-the-jerk
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
the-angel-and-the-jerk
April 29th, 2007 at 03:24pm
Normally, girls are frontman (or in their case, frontwoman) in a band and most of themt sing without an instrument, I mean in bands like fall out boy and green day, the frontmen have guitars, but girls kinda don't. It's weird. like some sort of crazy girly religion or something!
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
April 29th, 2007 at 07:31pm
the-angel-and-the-jerk:
Normally, girls are frontman (or in their case, frontwoman) in a band and most of themt sing without an instrument, I mean in bands like fall out boy and green day, the frontmen have guitars, but girls kinda don't. It's weird. like some sort of crazy girly religion or something!
That's not a damn bit true... I think it's the opposite... Hole, Bikini Kill, The Distillers, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, The Pretenders... need I say more?
sexywaterjug
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
sexywaterjug
May 9th, 2007 at 06:23pm
Being a girl from an all girl band back in the day....it's sucks.....mix it up ...it's so much better....I always forget how much drama comes from having just women around.....hahaha
Franny.
Franny.
May 10th, 2007 at 11:27pm
Color Me Impressed:
the-angel-and-the-jerk:
That's not a damn bit true... I think it's the opposite... Hole, Bikini Kill, The Distillers, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, The Pretenders... need I say more?

i wouldn't say it's not true, i think there's a good balance. there are definitely a lot of hard rockin chicks who lead and play an instrument, but their music is very...*people are going to hate me for saying this* ...basic. bands like hole and distillers are punk rock based and it's simple chords. i'm not saying they have no talent, but they don't need a whole lot instrument-wise.

chicks who only sing seem to have better vocals than those who play guitar and sing. amy lee does play piano and sing and she has amazing vocals, so she's a good exception =P.

i still stand by my view that all female groups aren't as popular as all male groups. mix groups are starting to become a trend and it's great, i'm all for them [as i'm in one]. it just seems obvious to many that their favorite band [not saying all of you, just majority] is not an all female band.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
May 11th, 2007 at 12:55pm
Franny.:
Color Me Impressed:
the-angel-and-the-jerk:

i wouldn't say it's not true, i think there's a good balance. there are definitely a lot of hard rockin chicks who lead and play an instrument, but their music is very...*people are going to hate me for saying this* ...basic. bands like hole and distillers are punk rock based and it's simple chords. i'm not saying they have no talent, but they don't need a whole lot instrument-wise.

chicks who only sing seem to have better vocals than those who play guitar and sing. amy lee does play piano and sing and she has amazing vocals, so she's a good exception =P.

i still stand by my view that all female groups aren't as popular as all male groups. mix groups are starting to become a trend and it's great, i'm all for them [as i'm in one]. it just seems obvious to many that their favorite band [not saying all of you, just majority] is not an all female band.

yeah i still think im yet to see a girl really shred, or play any kind of a proper solo for that matter. id love to see it though.
The Outlaw
Geek
The Outlaw

Mibba
May 16th, 2007 at 03:20am
my band is an all girl band.
i think about it quite a lot.
while i love my bandmates to pieces,
I kinda wish we had some guys...
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
May 17th, 2007 at 08:10pm
To be honest, I don't know any girls who love rock music enough to really really want it.
To be in a band, to learn their instrument really well. They definitely exist, I myself being one, but they're a lot less common than guys. By nature, most girls just don't seem to be into it. Call it generalizing, but it's my own gender, and it really is way it is.
As for singing... I just don't like female vocals. :x I'm all for girls in bands, but... not on vocals. For some reason, no matter the genre, they manage to make the music sound pop-y, in my opinion. Which I'm not too fond of. D:
Register