Anyone notice something about girls in bands?

AuthorMessage
Chipper
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Chipper
September 28th, 2006 at 11:03pm
GreenDay420:
The Open Door.:
Evanescence

Massive.

Others; Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Paramore [even though they are pretty different from the former]

They're all doing pretty well.

yes, there are a few that has a chick in the band, but just a few. and in most cases (as above) she is the singer of the band. and the rets of the band is usually ignored and the attention is focused only on the singer. so it's like her and the backing music. it's odd really.

like imagine a case. it seems as though a female can't replace a member of an all dude band. let's see. err how bout dragonforce. if herman li was suddenly replaced by a female shredder, they won't be as popular i'm thinking.

so all in all, it's apparent that guys are dominant over girls in the 'rock' music industry. i don't agree with it, but it's quite the fact.

well said Clap
Fever_and_Mirrors
Geek
Fever_and_Mirrors
October 1st, 2006 at 05:24pm
Um....what about SLEATER-KINNEY??!!? (even tho they broke up...they were a major breakthrough in the indie-punk scene for 11 years!)
Or LE TIGRE or BIKINI KILL!!?!? <<Kathleen Hanna
Joan Jett??? The whole Riot Grrrl scene??

Although I do agree that the music world is male-dominated, you cannot deny women have been some of the most influencial people in the music world.

Nowadays, i think (some) girls are more obsessed with the hottness of the band members than the music itself.

Or they think that it'd be cool to be in a band or be a rock star or w/e but never take the time to follow through and take lessons or try to find others that have the same dream.

Being a girl myself, i don't just want to watch bands come and go, listen to the newest and the hottest...sure that's fine for some, but as for me...i much rather be the one on stage rocking people's minds and affecting their lives...but that's just my opinion Very Happy
Holy Shite
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Holy Shite
December 11th, 2006 at 10:16pm
It's sad, but true that girl(s) in a band shouldn't be a lead singer. all the attention will be on her, and the band is just like a bunch of shit in the they-said background.
And most (not all) of the girls don't hav a charisma as a band leader, they just sell their beautiness. Just name the succeed band who had an ugly girl as their singer,,, i can't.
Elvis Impersonator
Idiot
Elvis Impersonator
December 12th, 2006 at 06:53am
paramore have hayley singing (who just happens to be hot) and forward russia have katie on drums. i'm also a fan of the white stripes, and although he seems to have a bad reputation around here, robbie williams has a girl on bass, who is really good.
hay lin
Idiot
hay lin
December 12th, 2006 at 12:22pm
Over-Rated:
Metric Has A Girl As The Lead Singer... And Almost All The Local Bands In My Area Have A Girl In Them... I Still Think There Should Be More Mainstream Bands With Girls (That Aren't Girl Groups *Shivers* )

I agree.
Their should be more bands with girls singing or drumming or playing guitar. That would be cool. Smile
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
December 12th, 2006 at 12:46pm
Um, speculation here...maybe its just that girls don't want to do that? I mean, I'm a girl, and I know I want to start a band and be famous and all. But a lot of girls I know will join and form bands in high school. They'll sing, play guitar, drums, whatever, but usually by the time college is over, the band breaks up or the girl leaves the band to go do her job.
ZootSuitRiot
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ZootSuitRiot

Blog
December 16th, 2006 at 04:42am
well, i hope to change the music world.
i have vowed to be in a band, hopefully doing bass/maybe lead vocals, and i WILL make good music.
and i WILL NOT be a whore. i will bash up any whore that crosses my path.
hahahaahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *goes insane*
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
December 16th, 2006 at 08:31am
....O_o...*is scared for the female gender*

But its a good thing. I mean, a lot of women are thinking like that. Cuz before it was like you had to be a housewife, or a maid, or a nurse, or a midwife or something. Then came the age of female empowerment. To be a success, you have to have a job. You have to have a decent wage and have a high position as a doctor, lawyer, whatever. And even though women were involved in the arts, there weren't that many, especially in musical arts. I mean, don't get me wrong, for a long time, women and music have been synonymous in the East. But now, you can be a successful superstar musician woman and not be a stripper. You don't have to take off your clothes. Now, there's Amy Lee. There's that lady from Garbage. In the 70s, there were a lot of women in bands. I guess it just keeps going up. And now, more girls are taking an interest in actively creating music. So by the time the teenagers on here are 40, rock will be equal in terms of gender. Probably.
Tigger
Geek
Tigger

Mibba Blog
January 8th, 2007 at 10:45pm
Flyleaf, man.
Robbie
Robbie
January 9th, 2007 at 04:30pm
Franny.:
girls, even though i don't like to admit, are still inferior in the music world to men. sure, there are many many successful female artists, but the male count is higher. i wouldn't say females are less talented, but, as statistics have it, girls have lower self-esteem so if one guy stomps on them for playing music, they're done.

i'm a guitarist for a band where the rest are guys and there's no difference for us whether we're guys or gals. talent is all that matters. but in the media world, guys are more hardcore and girls have to look a certain way to be noticed at all (whether talented or not).

The singer in my band is female, and I don't really think she can handle it. A female voice that can really cut through a band setting and be effective is an unusual thing, and I think she sounds a bit weak.

As far as other instruments go, I think males are just more likely to pick up a guitar. It's as simple as that.
Elvis Impersonator
Idiot
Elvis Impersonator
January 10th, 2007 at 10:59am
how can anyone forget the donnas, the corrs, avril lavigne or gogol bordello's backing singers? or the fucking dixie chicks?! they are all brilliant bands, so i totally disagree with the opinion that girls can't rock.
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
January 10th, 2007 at 11:36pm
I've posted here before.I personally think it's a matter of opinions. I know I can't really stand listening to females sing. It's just a thing of mine. The only bands I don't mind a girl/woman singing are The Pretenders and ABBA. But other than that, I don't think I own too many songs on my ipod that are sung by females.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
January 11th, 2007 at 04:28am
Deadline has a female singer, they're not FAMOUS famous, but they're really big on the punk scene.

(Real punk by the way, not a bunch of teenagers writing about their love lives.)
Generation Terrorist
Geek
Generation Terrorist
January 11th, 2007 at 11:18am
One day the fact that girls being rare in rock bands these days will just be something in the history books that people go "what the fuck?" at. Like some only guys were able to be in plays in Shakespere's time so all the female lines were played by guys.
Robbie
Robbie
January 12th, 2007 at 04:36pm
Flaming Phalanges!:
Deadline has a female singer, they're not FAMOUS famous, but they're really big on the punk scene.

(Real punk by the way, not a bunch of teenagers writing about their love lives.)

Always thought punk was a media movement promoting people who would not usually be able to air their views a forum to get them across via music/publications/literature. Not elitism.

And, above all, would you be more likely to listen to the band if they had a token girl playing bass? Personally, I wouldn't at all. I'm bothered about the quality of the music and if the musician is male or female shouldn't be an issue at all.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 12th, 2007 at 06:50pm
Siouxsie and The Banshees, anyone? File
Banach95
King For A Couple Of Days
Banach95

Mibba Blog
January 12th, 2007 at 10:43pm
How about the Runaways? Joan Jett and Lita Ford got their start in that group
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
January 15th, 2007 at 12:20pm
Paramore has a female lead singer.

Anyone?
Elvis Impersonator
Idiot
Elvis Impersonator
January 16th, 2007 at 10:55am
A Melancholy Autumn:

Anyone?

yeah i said that. and they rock, so i dont see the problem...
ellie ex-friend
ellie ex-friend
January 16th, 2007 at 12:21pm
A Melancholy Autumn:

Anyone?

But there are so many prejudices against Hayley Williams.
Register