Is Religion The Root Of All Evil?

AuthorMessage
ChloeJayne
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ChloeJayne
December 1st, 2008 at 11:17pm
Bloodraine:
Frodo Baggins:
But if you believe that the bible is the word of God. then how can you justify not believing in this one particular part of it, and not others?

Nobody can follow the whole Bible. It's physically impossible. Therefore, I think people who pick and choose which bits to follow have the right idea; of course, there are always going to be those who say you can't pick and choose with a revealed text but in this case, when following the whole thing is just not viable, what else can people do, really?

I think this is a Marilyn Manson quote, but people just pick the lie they like best. If it works for them, then great.

Well It is kind of impossible to follow the whole Bible. But how's that to say if you do one thing wrong, you can't spend eternity with God in heaven? that's why Jesus came down for our sins, to wipe us clean, so that if we believe in Christ, and allow Him into our lives, we can spend eternity in heaven.
The Bible actually says that not accepting Jesus, and blaphsmemy is the biggest sin.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 2nd, 2008 at 08:05am
Geevampire:
As the bible doesn't exactly say it's WRONG.

It says it's wrong to sleep with someone of the same sex as that was designed for man and woman. But you can't exactly help who you love. I
You just contradicted yourself.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 2nd, 2008 at 10:01am
Bleach:
Miley Cyrus:
well, that's pretty much the new testament.
and the book of romans is quite nice, if you were interested in what christianity is supposed to be, i'd read that
hmm, interesting, I see. I'm still not getting how God changed his ways and such.
I was considering getting a copy of some religious books.. the Quran, Old/New Test, bible, pagan, etc.
so I'll check that out \o/
I got a a book about Islam yesterday \o/
Sylar
Falling In Love With The Board
Sylar
December 6th, 2008 at 03:45am
Bleach:

My mom defines "God" as love. As do many Christians.

A religion, even if it calls itself a religion of love, must be hard and unloving to those who do not belong to it
I wholeheartedly agree with Sigmund Freud for once in my life.
God loves only those who devote their life to him. Everyone else gets a nice, toasty eternity in Hell.
Weasil
Falling In Love With The Board
Weasil
December 6th, 2008 at 06:24pm
If you want a good example about following the bible, you should see this talk from a guy who did it for a full year.

very enlightening!

And if there's any one true reason as to why I can't believe in the christian ideals, which I have complete respect for, as to every other religion, it's the idea of evil.

My aunt is a geneticist, and my father has several degrees in biology. It's just kind of a natural thing that I have had the lack of a childhood ground in a church or otherwise. So I have a completely different outlook, unlike most of the people I know, which is a suprisingly large amount. Anyways, I know that we all have tendencies, even in our DNA. But it's not like we're born to be killers or lovers, it's a factor which has even less of an influence than our inherited chances of having breast cancer, or high blood pressure. Like the chance of getting those illnesses, it just depends on the circumstances.

Enviroment, obviously, is a big factor. In the US, where 77% of families say that harm to a child (i.e. corporal punishment, spanking, whipping with a belt, etc.) is neccessary for correct behavior, no wonder people think that we're born with some sort of inherited bad tendencies. And growing up in a world where it is biologically instictive to be competitive, it is a struggle to do good, whether it be considered spiritual or just moral. But from the words of John Lennon;

"Everyone is Hitler inside, everyone is Christ inside. It's just a matter of choosing which to act on."

But like I said, this is my belief, and mine solely. If people believe in a god, that's great! It's just not really my cup of tea.
ChloeJayne
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ChloeJayne
December 7th, 2008 at 07:55am
Frodo Baggins:
Geevampire:

It says it's wrong to sleep with someone of the same sex as that was designed for man and woman. But you can't exactly help who you love. I

How? I've never slept with anyone.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
December 7th, 2008 at 11:24am
Geevampire:
Frodo Baggins:
Geevampire:

How? I've never slept with anyone.
First you said the bible doesn't say it's wrong, then you say it is wrong.
THEOWNAGE
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
THEOWNAGE
December 8th, 2008 at 11:08pm
Getting off topic here. The question: Is religion the root of all evil? Yes/No? And why. Not whether you believe or what you do and don't understand or how you've been influenced by your parents and life to believe what you believe; or what evidence there is for any of the beliefs expressed in here. Is religion the root of all evil?
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 9th, 2008 at 10:54am
So god still loves murderers? They can be forgiven?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 9th, 2008 at 02:52pm
Frodo Baggins:
So god still loves murderers? They can be forgiven?

If they repent, then yes.

This might just be my residual Catholicism, but I'm also inclined to agree. It's my philosophy that anyone can be forgiven of anything if they truly regret what they've done.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
December 9th, 2008 at 05:30pm
This is off the flow of discussion - but I don't believe in Heaven or Hell.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 9th, 2008 at 11:13pm
Rahm Emanuel:
Bleach:

My mom defines "God" as love. As do many Christians.

A religion, even if it calls itself a religion of love, must be hard and unloving to those who do not belong to it
I wholeheartedly agree with Sigmund Freud for once in my life.
God loves only those who devote their life to him. Everyone else gets a nice, toasty eternity in Hell.
if that hell even exists.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 10th, 2008 at 04:56am
Bloodraine:
If they repent, then yes.

This might just be my residual Catholicism, but I'm also inclined to agree. It's my philosophy that anyone can be forgiven of anything if they truly regret what they've done.

get famous:
they can by God, yes. If they accept Christ as their Lord and Saviour, then they will be forgiven.

Don't you find that wrong? That you can be pardoned for such a horrible thing, just by feeling bad about it, or agreeing to believe in something, no matter what it is?

For example, what about the parents who killed Baby P? If they repent in jail, then everything's hunky dory? That little baby has been caused endless suffering and it's whole life has just been wiped out in the cruelest and most brutal manner, but the parents are going to Heaven, because they have accepted God?

Yes, I know that the bible says if you repent 'ye shall be saved', or whatever the exact quote is. The point I am getting at is, using your own moral compass, do you agree that these people, that everyone, no matter what they have done, should be forgiven. Child abusers, rapists, murderers, people who have inflicted horrible injustices, cruelty, pain and mental abuse. I don't understand how you can want to be a part of a religion that allows such things.. as long as you repent.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 10th, 2008 at 05:18am
Surely forgiveness and a pardon is the same thing. My point is that, why is forgiving a murderer a nice thing to do?! Why should it be looked to as an amazing feat, as something to emulate?!

As for your own morals not mattering.. I don't even know where to start. Are you saying that people should not think for themselves, or try to do what they believe is right, but simply do what the Bible says, because nothing matters if God is the only one who has any say over things? What is the point in your time on Earth, if people only care about what will happen when they die.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 10th, 2008 at 07:20am
Pardon:

noun 1. kind indulgence, as in forgiveness of an offense or discourtesy or in tolerance of a distraction or inconvenience.
2. forgiveness of a serious offense or offender.

Forgiveness:

noun
1. compassionate feelings that support a willingness to forgive
2. the act of excusing a mistake or offense

The dictionary mentions nothing about forgetting.

I don't think you can have your cake, and eat it. How can you think for yourself when you are shackled into a system of morals, by having to do what the bible tells you. Its a contradiction.

And if you think there is no point to living.. you must have a very depressing view of the world.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 10th, 2008 at 07:58am
Why do you want to strive to be like a god who is less than ideal? What is wrong with striving to be the best person you can be.. without the bible? I don't understand why you need the bible, if I am honest. Why you need to believe in a god. The real world around us is so much more beautiful, amazing and awe-inspiring than anything we can't see. Because of the very fact it is there, right in front of our eyes. Why invest so much time and effort and money in the church and god, when there are so many worthy causes out there in the the world that are living and breathing right now that could do so much with that time and thought and energy and money that millions of people spend on religion?
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 10th, 2008 at 08:09am
I know its just how I feel, that is all anyone can contribute to a discussion, where facts cannot be used. I would have no arguement with religion if it made no bad effects on the world... i.e. the point of this thread. You cannot deny the amount of harm that religion has caused.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 10th, 2008 at 08:20am
No, but its a damn good place to start. It is the most widely abused, if that is how you like to describe it.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 10th, 2008 at 08:35am
Lust for power & money has been linked more times than not, with religion.

The harm religion has done?

To name but a few; the holocaust, the slaughter of Catholics by Protestants and vice versa. 9/11. The wars the have been going on in Africa and the middle east for centuries. People rejecting science because of faith, refusing to use condoms, helping the huge spread of AIDS, and innumerable children in third world countries which cannot afford to feed themselves. The abuse suffered by children who are brought up in their parents religion and are scared by threats of what will happen if they sin. The mistreatment of women in certain societies. Not to mention the gargantuan rift between those who believe and those who don't, and the problems and divides which that causes.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 10th, 2008 at 09:22am
Fair enough. Although I would like to see exaples of those times you think religion wasn't involved in the examples above. Also, the world is not black and white, and I am fully prepared to admit that lust for power can intermingle with religious issues.
Register