AuthorMessage
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
November 29th, 2008 at 10:51pm
Bloodraine:
Bleach:
Bloodraine:

Nobody can follow the whole Bible. It's physically impossible.
how/why?
does it just contradict itself too much?
well, yeah. jesus says to love thy neighbor. that speaks for itself.

Exactly, it does contradict itself too much.
I'll illustrate this with one point, there are probably thousands.

From Deuteronomy, 19:21: "And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye"

From the Sermon on the Mount: "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

How can a person do both?
this is why christianity [and many other religions] are just ridiculous.

How can you possibly believe and feel safe in a religion that constantly contradicts itself? you can twist things around so much, and create so many problems.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
November 29th, 2008 at 11:08pm
Frodo Baggins:
Bleach:
Bloodraine:

Nobody can follow the whole Bible. It's physically impossible.
how/why?
does it just contradict itself too much?
well, yeah. jesus says to love thy neighbor. that speaks for itself.
There are too many out-dated ideas in the bible, like the punishments for adultery is stoning someone to death. All the 'clean' and 'unclean' beasts which you are to avoid/eat. Plus the bible's attitude towards women is appalling.
yes, and how can someone possibly ignore all of the extremely disgusting things the Bible says, and just keep blindly skipping along with all of the good things the Bible says to do?

My mom defines "God" as love. As do many Christians.

Richard Dawkins says this about the Judeo-Chrisitian god: "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthristy ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomachistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

what the fuck.
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 01:00am
Bleach:
look i understand where you're coming from and i respect your opinion but comments like that only fuel the fire and offend people... like myself. for a lot of us faith is the foremost thing in our lives and saying what we strive most for is ridiculous is hurtful. i haven't said atheism is ridiculous, i expect the same sort of respect.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 01:33am
Bleach:
yes, and how can someone possibly ignore all of the extremely disgusting things the Bible says, and just keep blindly skipping along with all of the good things the Bible says to do?

Richard Dawkins says this about the Judeo-Chrisitian god: "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthristy ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomachistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

what the fuck.

Well of what i've seen it's normally the other way around, like people only pay attention to the bad stuff and use it as an exuse to hate gays or hit their children, but like when it comes to helping others less fortunate then you they are like ".... O that must have been a typo".
Like if you look at the good things he said Jesus was like a jewish hippie in a way like shunning material values and helping others and having long hair he probably didnt have super personal hygiene eather Dance
I mean like Jesus or God didn't write the bible so obv. the people who did probably put their personal bias into it. I mean im sure something thousend years ago people probably didn't understand gay people very well.
alot of it is metaphoric aswell so it's kind of an issue of interpratation.

but omg the last part lmfao
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 01:36am
^omg thank you OMGyes

and i take a lot of the bible metaphorically, as well, like i don't think you should cut off your fingers if you "reach below the navel" (AKA jack off) or whatnot
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 01:36am
edit: Finger @ double posts
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 01:38am
Yeah i mean if everyone cut their fingers off when they jack off no one whould have fingers and we whould live in a fingerless society
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 01:47am
i would have my fingers lawl [/offtopic]

but you bring up a good point in that the non-religious tend to ignore the good in religion and the religious tend to ignore the bad. i'm not thick, i've seen the violence its caused, but obviously those people were unhinged in the first place and used religion as a scapegoat for their madness.

and about the gay thing, according to the bible any sex not for the purpose of reproduction is wrong but somehow people have decided that gay sex is a billion times worse than any other sort of sex for pleasure, which i don't understand since it's mentioned like three times throughout the whole bible. and they totally ignore the thing that jesus repeated over and over, which is love. so idk i think the peope who go around with "god hates fags" signs aren't extremists because they've ignored almost all of the bible, they're just plain bad christians
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 08:13am
Miley Cyrus:
i would have my fingers lawl [/offtopic]

but you bring up a good point in that the non-religious tend to ignore the good in religion and the religious tend to ignore the bad. i'm not thick, i've seen the violence its caused, but obviously those people were unhinged in the first place and used religion as a scapegoat for their madness.

and about the gay thing, according to the bible any sex not for the purpose of reproduction is wrong but somehow people have decided that gay sex is a billion times worse than any other sort of sex for pleasure, which i don't understand since it's mentioned like three times throughout the whole bible. and they totally ignore the thing that jesus repeated over and over, which is love. so idk i think the peope who go around with "god hates fags" signs aren't extremists because they've ignored almost all of the bible, they're just plain bad christians

I wouldn't have my fingers... or mouth... or ass...I'm filthy.

And about the gay thing, yeah, I know how that goes. I tried to go to mass last Christmas day with my family, soely for the kids because I'm not very religious, and this famly in the village were staring at me for the whole 40 minutes because they knew I was gay.

Silly people.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
November 30th, 2008 at 01:31pm
Miley Cyrus:
Bleach:
look i understand where you're coming from and i respect your opinion but comments like that only fuel the fire and offend people... like myself. for a lot of us faith is the foremost thing in our lives and saying what we strive most for is ridiculous is hurtful. i haven't said atheism is ridiculous, i expect the same sort of respect.
Well, part of the reason I'm an atheist is for that reason. I wasn't only picking on Christianity. I don't think of you any less if you are of a certain religion. Unless you were some homophobic fundamentalist. but I'm pretty sure you aren't. I'm stating why I don't like religion/don't understand it. I simply find it ridiculous/irrational. Not you or your life... sorry if I offended you Sad
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
November 30th, 2008 at 01:46pm
Danny Callahan.:
Bleach:

what the fuck.

Well of what i've seen it's normally the other way around, like people only pay attention to the bad stuff and use it as an exuse to hate gays or hit their children, but like when it comes to helping others less fortunate then you they are like ".... O that must have been a typo".
Like if you look at the good things he said Jesus was like a jewish hippie in a way like shunning material values and helping others and having long hair he probably didnt have super personal hygiene eather Dance
I mean like Jesus or God didn't write the bible so obv. the people who did probably put their personal bias into it. I mean im sure something thousend years ago people probably didn't understand gay people very well.
alot of it is metaphoric aswell so it's kind of an issue of interpratation.

but omg the last part lmfao
Jesus rocks. Atheists for Jesus obv. woo hoo. k.

well there are still definatley people that actually follow some bad things in the bible. Look at fundamentalists. They were protestsing a funeral for an Iraq soldier, and held up signs saying "Thank God for dead solderis" and "God hates fags"
I find it either way is bad [ignoring the bad, doing the good or doing the bad, ignoring the good.] I'm just saying that whole concept is a very blind thing to do, especially from a book written thousands of years ago, where moral values were much different. But that's just me. I just don't know why people can't make up their own moral values.

I was loling at that for about 5 minutes. lmflakf
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 06:44pm
oh and i forgot, pretty much all the cruel punishments that we are supposedly supposed to deliver are in the old testament and the entire old testament was to prepare for the coming of jesus and when he came he basically said "yeah you don't need the old testament anymore" so yeah things like the 10 commandments still stand but the other nit-picky stuff...not so much
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
November 30th, 2008 at 09:39pm
Miley Cyrus:
oh and i forgot, pretty much all the cruel punishments that we are supposedly supposed to deliver are in the old testament and the entire old testament was to prepare for the coming of jesus and when he came he basically said "yeah you don't need the old testament anymore" so yeah things like the 10 commandments still stand but the other nit-picky stuff...not so much
so then why care about what God had to say, or his rules? did he have some change of heart or something? Dno
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 11:20pm
Bleach:
Miley Cyrus:
so then why care about what God had to say, or his rules? did he have some change of heart or something? Dno
no, the old testament was in preparation for the coming of jesus. there are still rules in the new testament and all, they are just less harsh and all, and those are the ones we are supposed to follow now.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
November 30th, 2008 at 11:22pm
I say we all follow jesus. just jesus. Mr. Green
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 11:30pm
well, that's pretty much the new testament.
and the book of romans is quite nice, if you were interested in what christianity is supposed to be, i'd read that
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
November 30th, 2008 at 11:54pm
Miley Cyrus:
well, that's pretty much the new testament.
and the book of romans is quite nice, if you were interested in what christianity is supposed to be, i'd read that
hmm, interesting, I see. I'm still not getting how God changed his ways and such.
I was considering getting a copy of some religious books.. the Quran, Old/New Test, bible, pagan, etc.
so I'll check that out \o/
THEOWNAGE
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
THEOWNAGE
December 1st, 2008 at 08:51pm
Does no one read my posts??? I've already answered why we don't do an eye for an eye, why God is love and many others and no one has replied.
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
December 1st, 2008 at 09:14pm
THEOWNAGE:
Does no one read my posts??? I've already answered why we don't do an eye for an eye, why God is love and many others and no one has replied.
i think it's just because they're so long and/or nobody has a good counter-argument, but i agree with you Con
ChloeJayne
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ChloeJayne
December 1st, 2008 at 11:14pm
Frodo Baggins:
Geevampire:
Well I personally happen to be a Christian.
A stong one too.
Religion becomes 'evil' when the person following that religion makes it.
For example,
I could go around saying that all homosexual's should be killed, which has NOTHING to do with religion, it just shows that i am seriously screwed.

Any way, i happen to be bisexual myself =S

So really it's not the religions fault that the people following it are doing evil things, it just happens to be that person who is screwed up.
But if you believe that the bible is the word of God. then how can you justify not believing in this one particular part of it, and not others?

As the bible doesn't exactly say it's WRONG. It says it's wrong to sleep with someone of the same sex as that was designed for man and woman. But you can't exactly help who you love. I
Register