Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 10:51am
Jimmy4Whatsername:
Bloodraine:
"Never okay to leave a child alone for half an hour."

Hmm. How young?
Alone as in alone in a house, or alone as in...alone in the front room while your mum has a shower?

There isn't an exact age that fits everyone, everyone matures at diferent rates. But a three or four year old shouldn't be left in a room by themsleves for that length of time.

When you were three or four, did your mom and dad sleep in the room with you each night?
If they didn't, then they left you alone for 'that length of time'.
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
May 9th, 2007 at 10:53am
Tasteful and Sublime:
hello, they said that the parents checked on the kids EVERY HALF AN HOUR. So i see no problem THERE

Half an hour is a hell of a time. And they could've left them in a creche where they would be definately safe and wouldn't need to be checked on.

In half an hour, someone could abduct a child and drive away - now they're saying there was a getaway car and someone to drive off. I don't know if that's a fact, but it's certainly possible. How far could they get in half an hour? How far could they get in even five minutes? And it's a family resort, if someone is looking for kids, they don't have very far to go, do they?
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
May 9th, 2007 at 11:34am
Bloodraine:
Jimmy4Whatsername:
Bloodraine:

Hmm. How young?
Alone as in alone in a house, or alone as in...alone in the front room while your mum has a shower?

There isn't an exact age that fits everyone, everyone matures at diferent rates. But a three or four year old shouldn't be left in a room by themsleves for that length of time.

When you were three or four, did your mom and dad sleep in the room with you each night?

No, they didn't but they were in the house. There is a big difference between going out to dinner and being in a seperate room in the same house. When my parents took me on holiday when I was that age, they always took me to dinner with them, even if I was asleep in my buggy because they wouldn't have felt comfortable knowing that no one was with me. Plus, most holiday resorts have some kind of kids club or baby-sitting service, so there is no reason for a child to be left alone.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
May 9th, 2007 at 12:00pm
Bloodraine:

Hmm. How young?

i didnt have a shower unless my husband was home to watch the kids, i got up early in the morning to make sure i could shower and wash my hair and whatever else i needed to do to get myself ready for the day ahead, on the ocassions while he worked away my next door neighbour watched them while i bathed and i eveb got a baby sitter to look after them on one ocassion, but to answer your question, my oldest was 13 before i left him alone, and then he could just go next door and get the neighbours if he needed anything,

But yes we shoudl be blaming the person who took this woman not the mum and dad, bring her back home please.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
May 9th, 2007 at 12:01pm
Bloodraine:
Jimmy4Whatsername:
Bloodraine:

Hmm. How young?

and yes (i knwo the question wasnt directed at me ) my oldest son slept in the same room has my and his dad over night when he was 4 yrs old, he had no choice.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 12:10pm
Jimmy4Whatsername:
You think being over a certain age makes you safe? Seriously, do you think a kidnapper will look at a kid and say
"Ohhhhh wait he's too ~~mature~~ for me to kidnap" Sorry, it doesn't work like that. I live in the same town as Ben Ownby, in fact I knew his sister, and I assue you he was far from immature. He was extremely smart for his age and self sufficient. His kidnapper didn't care how mature he was. His kidnapper didn't even care if he was alone, because he speedily drove off in a truck with him right past another driver on the road. He was kidnapped walking home from the bus. Does that make his parents bad or something? I don't think so.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 12:20pm
Lucifers Angel:
Bloodraine:

and yes (i knwo the question wasnt directed at me ) my oldest son slept in the same room has my and his dad over night when he was 4 yrs old, he had no choice.

One night. I'm pretty sure all kids have slept in a room with their parents for one night.
But every night?
Unless you live in a one-roomed hut, mommie and daddy are probably going to have to leave their kids alone for more than half an hour to sleep, unless they take it in shifts to watch over the kids.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
May 9th, 2007 at 12:24pm
Bloodraine:
Lucifers Angel:
Bloodraine:

One night. I'm pretty sure all kids have slept in a room with their parents for one night.
But every night?
Unless you live in a one-roomed hut, mommie and daddy are probably going to have to leave their kids alone for more than half an hour to sleep, unless they take it in shifts to watch over the kids.

well actually i did have a one bedroom when my first child was born because we lived with my mum and dad in law.
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
May 9th, 2007 at 12:30pm
Bloodraine:

But the situation here is so different.
If you were in the same house, you would hear your child call out if anything went wrong, or be able to help them if someone else came into your home.
You can't do that if you're sitting in a resturant down the street. A lot can happen in half an hour.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 12:43pm
rehabreject:
Bloodraine:

If you were in the same house, you would hear your child call out if anything went wrong, or be able to help them if someone else came into your home.
You can't do that if you're sitting in a resturant down the street. A lot can happen in half an hour.

I'm well aware of that. I'm just making the point to people in this thread who seem to think, point blank, "YOU SHOULD NEVER LEAVE A KID ALONE FOR HALF AN HOUR". Perhaps you should be telling them this, instead of me. lmfao
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
May 9th, 2007 at 12:47pm
Bloodraine:
rehabreject:
Bloodraine:

I'm well aware of that. I'm just making the point to people in this thread who seem to think, point blank, "YOU SHOULD NEVER LEAVE A KID ALONE FOR HALF AN HOUR". Perhaps you should be telling them this, instead of me. lmfao
Yeah, I should really read through the thread before posting Shifty
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 12:49pm
rehabreject:

Not true. Children are abducted in their own homes. And it isn't just little kids either. For example, Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped from her own bedroom when she was 14. Her parents were home and everything, just a few rooms away. Not only was she not a small child, she was at her home with her parents and her siblings. None of them heard anything aside from her sister who she shared a room with.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 12:50pm
seeing as we're discussing how it was bad to leave a three year old alone, her younger brother are just a little over 1 years old. It was a stupid judgement by their parents but they don't deserve to be hammered like this, i'm sure they can't sotp blaming themselves without us joining in.

On the smaller 0.445436743 chance that the kidnappers see's this, Please bring maddy home, put her in a safe place and tell someone where she is.

The portugal police who were supposed to be stopping cars on the way out of the country shoul dbe ashamed of themselves a toddler has been abducted and for nearly an hour they were sat in their car waiting for it to stop raining.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 12:53pm
update =
MADDY 'WAS SNATCHED TO ORDER'

Maddy McCann

Wednesday May 9,2007
By David Pilditch and Matt Drake Have your say(4)
KIDNAPPED Madeleine McCann is in the clutches of an international paedophile ring which set out to snatch a child to order, it was claimed last night.

The vile network, which has strong British connections, was operating in Portugal because of its lax sex offence laws. It is one of only two countries in Europe without a sex offenders’ register.

Campaigners claim a lack of action by Portu­guese judges has turned the country into a paedophiles’ paradise.
Sources yesterday revealed that Scot­land Yard has supplied Portuguese police with the names of known sex offenders who live in the Algarve or regularly travel to the area.

Two child exploitation experts from Britain yesterday arrived in Praia da Luz, where Maddy was seized, to help the investigation. In what was described as an “unprecedented move” the Cracker-style experts “ one a police officer “ will advise Portuguese police on the behavioural ­patterns and profile of likely suspects.

They are attached to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre in the UK, which is affiliated to the Serious Organised Crime Agency.

It is feared that the toddler, who will be four on Saturday, had been chosen because she fitted the profile of the child the perverts were hunting for.

The revelation comes as there was a growing rift between Maddy’s family and the Portu­guese authorities over the way the hunt has been handled.

The family are furious at the slow police response in the crucial hours after Maddy disappeared.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
May 9th, 2007 at 01:27pm
Lucifers Angel:
Tasteful and Sublime:
hello, they said that the parents checked on the kids EVERY HALF AN HOUR. So i see no problem THERE. But I see the problem in some freak who wanted to take a little kd with such distinguishing features as that eye stuff that everyone knowf of, anywho, i find that abducting people is horribly silly. But i really do hope they find the little girl and the guy/gal responsible gets sent on therapy, since that is NOT okay to take someone else's child...i actually think its a she fellon...i have my reasons to believe that.

you should not leave a child alone even for 5 mins, yes we know that abducting people is "horribly silly" but it happens (in an ideal world it wouldnt) and why do you think its a "she fellon"? i would like to understand your reasons, men and women take children not just women you know

yes, i know that. I just had a feeling it might be a she fellon, sorry. I kinda agree with you, but its the society you grow up in i guess. We rarely have kids taken from their homes or whereever it is they are at the given time. Very rarely. Everybody here is just calm and relaxed about it cause it never actuallty happens where i live. But i suppose when you'e in the states, or some other large country with a high crime rate then it would be a bad idea leaving the kid alone for such a long period of time...
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
May 9th, 2007 at 02:16pm
I would like to inform you of something I found out yesterday because of Trevor McDonald. The complex offers a babysitting service. But the parents decided not to use it. Now to me, that shows pure bad judgment.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
May 9th, 2007 at 02:38pm
Mastodon:
I would like to inform you of something I found out yesterday because of Trevor McDonald. The complex offers a babysitting service. But the parents decided not to use it. Now to me, that shows pure bad judgment.

i said in my post back a while ago, that the perants should ahve seen if the complex ran a babysitting service and now i find out they did but the perants didnt want to use it, what went through they're heads?
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
May 9th, 2007 at 04:08pm
To be honest, I think that you should never leave a child that age alone.

However, after having a discussion about this with my own parents, I found out they did exactly the same thing with me.

Except I was 12 weeks old and my sister was just over one years old. The hotel we were in had an intercom thing, and a woman was listening in on our room to see when we woke up and stuff and if there was a problem, she could talk back to us. Apparently my sister woke up and the woman told us that our parents would be back soon and then my sister started talking to the kettle o_o

Anyhoo, my parents went to a resteraunt in the hotel that was kinda where all the parents went, and their kids were in the same situation as we were. If there was a problem, the woman would ring the resteraunt and then the parents would be able to go back to the room.

I'm however, still uncomfortable with the whole idea of leaving a child alone.

I wouldn't do it, not even in England, so I don't see why you should think it would be any different in another country. If anything, I'd be more wary of losing them.

I think it's a horrible story but it was quite careless of the parents, in my own opinion.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
May 9th, 2007 at 06:34pm
they shouldnt have left them simple as.
there just stupid.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
May 9th, 2007 at 07:14pm
If a woman got raped walking across a park alone at night would you be saying "Yeah well it's your own fault for walking across a park alone". I don't think you would, because it's the same thing. If you're sensible, you won't walk across a park alone because it's completely deserted and if anything happens, there's nobody to call for help.

It's bad judgement, but don't condemn people for one mistake. They're probably punishing themselves enough already.
Register