Why no child is safe from the sinister cult of Emo

AuthorMessage
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
March 28th, 2009 at 02:49pm
I don't think it would apply to another member of the family. I'm not trying to insult anyone's parents (and mine did a kickass job of raising me, btw) but I think its more that they wouldn't want to admit that there is a problem with themselves or with their child. Because if there's a problem with the child, that would mean its their fault.

Or suppose they did realize there's a serious problem, they want to find someone to blame the problem on. Like, XYZ is depressed. The parents may not wanna admit it, because its like "what? are you saying we don't treat our child well? Are you saying its our fault? Are you calling us bad parents?"

And then if they do open their eyes and say "Oh gosh. Our kid is depressed. is it our fault? No, it can't be, we're good parents, we love him/her ... look a CD!! blame it on the CD!"...or at least that's how it seems to me.

But some things are no one's fault. Not the parents'. Not the music. Not the kid. Just...circumstance.
dysLEXIa
King For A Couple Of Days
dysLEXIa
March 28th, 2009 at 02:57pm
^Yeah, I definitely agree. There are always exceptions to everything, so we're not saying that's always how it is. Sometimes things just happen.

I hate to quote them, but look at the All American Rejects song "Move Along"

"So a day when you've lost yourself completely
Could be a night when your life ends"

Shit just happens sometimes and it's no one's fault. But even in some circumstances there, parents and family members need to put the blame on something, so they automatically go to music since they've heard of that "problem" before.
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
March 28th, 2009 at 03:18pm
Fate sucks.

I was always nice to everyone and they picked on me anyways.

Now everyone thinks I'm too cold and dark. But there's this one girl who said, "People think you're all cold and dark and mean, but they just don't understand that you have to be like that because of how they treat you."

There's more than meets the eye with everyone. I show my true self here on GSB because out in the real world my real self was nearly killed and had to constantly try to hide the bruises that no one payed attention to anyways.
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
March 28th, 2009 at 05:59pm
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles like that. =[ I was in similar situtations, but nothing to that extent however.

I think that's why we all come on this site; so we could be who we want to be and no one will persecute us for it. I think that's what some bands have...a dedicated following. I mean, this band is hated by so many people and the fans are always getting pushed down for liking them, but you know, that's what makes us stronger as a whole, you know? We love this band, and in turn, we love all of the fans who love this band because we all know that they've been through the same shit that we've had to put up with. And if they can put up with it, there's just a great deal of respect in there.

And I know a lot of other bands' fans who go through this same stuff, and that's what makes music great on this other hand; against the music getting persecuted for "making kids commit suicide".

This was probably a big jumbled mess, but I think my point got across okay. =]
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
March 29th, 2009 at 09:43pm
That makes perfect sense.

I just hate how we get persecuted by people who hate Green Day and the like.

Like, I don't like the Jonas Brothers, but I don't treat their fans like shit. It's the other way around. Instead of me hating them for liking the band they hate me for not liking the band. Then they come up and say, "Well, you hate us for liking the Jonas Brothers, so why can't we hate you for liking Green Day?" Well, the truth is, honey, that's not why I hate you. I hate you because you hate me because I dislike some band that's going to be completely forgotten in three years. Like the Backstreet Boys.

Yeah, another rant. Geez, I'm just full of those!
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
March 31st, 2009 at 11:23pm
^Exactly! One of my sisters' good friends was a big Jonas Brothers fan the past few years (slowing down now). I never ONCE made fun of her for that, and in return she never made fun of me for liking Green Day. We would always relate to each other in how we were always made fun of for our music tastes, and there's always two sides to every story. Sure, I don't like them, but I'm sure there's a bigger reason WHY she likes them, you know??

This could be another reason why some kids are so depressed for liking what they do, because of the constant persecution for this love for music.

Kids go through phases, it happens. Some phases stick, some don't, it happens.
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
April 1st, 2009 at 07:17am
^ agreed.

Nobody thought that my "punk thing" would last. They thought that by this time last year I'd be done wearing ties, black, eyeliner, converse, etc. They thought that Green Day would be a thing of the past because "They're not that great anyways." They thought I'd "fit in" with everyone in this little hick town by now, wearing pink and parading the street corners.

Boy were they wrong.

Instead of "growing up" I found even more music like Green Day. I only wear converse or combat boots. I still have the same attitude and "if it happens, fuck it, it's done" attitude. My dark to bright color ratio on my clothes is 4:1. I speak out for what I believe in and stick up for what's right. I don't take anyone's shit and that's what Green Day's done for me. They thought it was a phase, but it's not. It's a life change. I tried to find myself and I did. My epiphany came in the form of three guys named Mike Billie and Tre.

Some people, on the other hand, are all like, "Meh, I like that song, but I'm not the 'fan' I was ___ years ago."

So yeah, you're right. Some things just stick. Some things, like the Jonas Brothers, are just a Disney robot that'll be gone in a few years because they have no real message. Others, like Green Day, will be in our hearts forever because they're deep and they help people. That's what it's all about.

GAH! I HATE MY FUCKING RANTS!!!
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
April 1st, 2009 at 04:16pm
Ze Mole:
^ agreed.

Nobody thought that my "punk thing" would last. They thought that by this time last year I'd be done wearing ties, black, eyeliner, converse, etc. They thought that Green Day would be a thing of the past because "They're not that great anyways." They thought I'd "fit in" with everyone in this little hick town by now, wearing pink and parading the street corners.

Boy were they wrong.

Instead of "growing up" I found even more music like Green Day. I only wear converse or combat boots. I still have the same attitude and "if it happens, fuck it, it's done" attitude. My dark to bright color ratio on my clothes is 4:1. I speak out for what I believe in and stick up for what's right. I don't take anyone's shit and that's what Green Day's done for me. They thought it was a phase, but it's not. It's a life change. I tried to find myself and I did. My epiphany came in the form of three guys named Mike Billie and Tre.

Some people, on the other hand, are all like, "Meh, I like that song, but I'm not the 'fan' I was ___ years ago."

So yeah, you're right. Some things just stick. Some things, like the Jonas Brothers, are just a Disney robot that'll be gone in a few years because they have no real message. Others, like Green Day, will be in our hearts forever because they're deep and they help people. That's what it's all about.

GAH! I HATE MY FUCKING RANTS!!!

wow green day haven't taught you not to be close minded have they
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
April 1st, 2009 at 10:20pm
Jeez, I'm not close minded!

Well, everyone's a little close minded. But at least I tolerate things I don't like. That's another thing Green Day taught me - everyone's a little close minded, but if we're at least tolerant of each other the world can be a better place. Don't treat people like shit just because they're different.

I personally have no problem with anyone who has no problem with me and doesn't get in my way or in the way of what I want in life.

Yeah, so I guess that makes me a selfish, close-minded bitch?

The problem with people is that they see the worst in everything, all the time. I always got lectured by my english teacher in sixth grade about how I 'shouldn't always see the worst in good people.' Personally, I don't think I should've been the one getting that lecture. I can't help but see the worst in people who've done me wrong already. When I meet someone new I don't judge, not conciously anyway. If they look scary, I'm all "Meh, they haven't done anything to me. I'll go see if they wanna be my friend." Same as if they look preppy, or emo, or punk, or goth, or whatever. I don't judge based off of looks, I judge off of how people treat me. But at least I'm tolerant!!!

PEOPLE SUCK. But I tolerate them nonetheless.
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
April 1st, 2009 at 11:54pm
^I totally understand where you're coming from.

But I think He was saying that you think the Jonas Brothers have "no real message", when, hey, you never know. Their big fans, like my one friend, has a connection with their music similar to what we have with Green Day. The band is very religious and their songs can have double meanings (I wouldn't know, but I've had many conversations with that one friend. lol). So you never really know, even though it's a fad, the fad could have some meaning involved.
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2009 at 06:42pm
Meh.

Still, though, people never see the good in anyone.

There's always more than meets the eye.

I'm the 'scary kid' in my school.

What they don't know is that behind closed doors I'm really sweet. I write romance stories, I'm an artist, I write stories, poetry, songs, fanfics, songfics, blogs, etc. etc.

And they wouldn't believe me either because they never really get to know me.

Oh, here's a laugh: I had to sing in front of my chorus class today. I know they didn't espect me to sing My Immortal by Evanescence, and I know they didn't expect me to sound well singing it.

But during and afterwards their jaws were, like, below sea level.

There's more than meets the eye with people and until we realize that and just open up a little more nothing will be okay.
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
April 2nd, 2009 at 07:59pm
Exactly.

There is always more than meets the eye.
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2009 at 08:14pm
Y'know, this is probably my favorite topic on the whole site.

It's insightful, it's intelligent, it addresses an important issue, it encourages debate, it lets us post our opinions, and it's full of SMART PEOPLE.

Like, seriously. Finally, someone gets it!
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 6th, 2009 at 01:56am
it does?

[ignore me.]
Irwin Sparkes
Idiot
Irwin Sparkes
April 6th, 2009 at 05:02am
Emo shouldn't be blamed on music taste, if someone believes they are emo, it could be down to anything friends, family, school etc...ok maybe a band or member of a band might influence to do something, but they can't turn you into an emo.
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
April 6th, 2009 at 11:54pm
Emo is short for Emotional. When you think about it, isn't all music emotional?

Rephrase: Isn't all GOOD music filled with emotion?

So we're all a bit emotional at times.

We're all a little bit emo. ;D
NiMrOd_1995
Jackass
NiMrOd_1995
April 8th, 2009 at 09:58pm
nvm ._.
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
April 9th, 2009 at 10:27pm
I meant it as sarcasm slightly, almost making fun of the word "emo" because it's thrown around as a bad term.... =/

I mean, as far as I'm concerned, I know that EMO Music showed up originally in the 80's, it was a form of Punk; nothing like it is considered to be now....
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2009 at 12:39am
Here is the family tree:

Punk, the pretty daddy of the alternative subcultres, so to speak, had a child. That child became known as:

Goth, the literal angsty teenage child of Punk. Apparently Goth, though it got older, never really grew up. I can say the same about Punk too, though. But Goth, like its awesome daddy Punk, soon gave birth to a child, formally known as:

Emo, the whiny twelve-year-old of Goth.

Basically, emo is a bad, cheap immitation of goth (yes I got that from that song... don't sue me) which is just a branch of punk.

I find it funny that every subculture fits its people. Let me explain: punk is the older subculture, and somehow it's just a bit more mature as all the others. The people truly are punk: mature in their own immature respect. Somehow our immaturity makes us more mature than most people. I guess it's just... we've experienced some shit that made us who we are today, and we can really relate to that on an emotional level. At the same time, however, we're a little carefree and innocent, with a fuck-all attitude, kind of like little kids, sometimes. It's that mix of immaturity and wisdom that makes punk what it is.

Goth is the angsty teenager of punk, and goth is really just angsty teenagers, less mature but still more mature than emo in some respects.

Emo is like the whiny, sucks-to-be-me twelve-year-old child of goth, and that's how emos act. Whiny, sucks-to-be-me twelve-year-olds.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to anyone else, but I totally made the connection in my own head. I just can't really put it into words that well.

And please, no one be offended by anything I said. I'm not so articulate at one in the morning, thankyouverymuch. I didn't mean to be mean to anyone, if I was. Sad
Olivia Wilde.
Addict
Olivia Wilde.

Blog
May 1st, 2009 at 09:30pm
That actually was the best description of anything I've heard in my entire life.
Register