Why no child is safe from the sinister cult of Emo

AuthorMessage
paper heart.
Geek
paper heart.

Blog
May 29th, 2008 at 05:15am
Its all down to perception isnt it?
it depends who is looking at the topic and from what angle.
Lets take the Daily mail's view point. They're a newspaper, they need sales. To get sales at the end of the day they need a catchy title.
Now before i get attacked I do not condone the use of the word emo, but for these purposes lets assume that yes we are soup cans and we do get labelled.
There is no denying in the past few years there has been a large increase in "emo" music being released, and a large increase in the "emo" fashion taking the stage. I know this also depends on what area you live in, but in Britian especially wearing skinny jeans and hoodies from H&M was a must have.
Obviously many parents would be able to indentify with their children listening to this growing "emo" music and their wardrobe also changing. Bearing in mind adults, espically parents, always jump to the worst conclusions, right there and then they objectify their child as emo. After all they need something to blame the child's bad moods and glumness on, they cant blame their upbringing, so they blame the environmental influence. Its much like if someone contracted lung cancer it would be suspected they were a smoker. Again idk if my analogy makes sense.
So we have a newspaper that is targetted at a population which mostly has teenage children, and as this new fad takes over, what better way to gain attention then to link the "emo growing culture" to this girl's death and prehaps to other teenage suicides. Obviously we all know that if a song tells you to jump of a bridge you wont exactly go and do it. There must have been something else ailing the girl.
Problem is, she is dead.
The newspapers know this, so they can safely forget their consious and exploit this as much as possible.
Its like the same story with the two girls from greater manchester who were killed by someone they met on the internet. Parents read the story, overprotect their children, and pass on the news to other parents who prompletly go out and buy the paper. So in a sense the newspapers won.
Secondly the parents viewpoint. Their daughter has just killed herself. Wasn't murdered, or kidnapped or raped, no she took her life into her own hands. This is 10 times worse because it means something was wrong and they have failed as parents to notice it. So what do they do? they have to blame something else, anything else for her death. They cant accept there was something going wrong under their nose, and nor can the reporters tell them that, because that would be disrespectful. Of course lying about the nature of this girl's death isnt disrespectful at all, oh no, she was only 13 and now she is dead.
So parents snoop round the girl's room, reporters take a wiff of it too. Ah yes look there an mcr cd. Conclusions are drawn, distraught parents have daughter snatched from them by growing emo culture. Proof? why the music and wardrobe of course.

So the newspapers need a story. The parents need closure. This assumption fits both criteria, thus it is used.
Of course it leads to outrage on many teenagers behalf and shock on many parents behalf.
It all depends on wether or not your ready to take a step back from emotions and see it from another persons view point.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 29th, 2008 at 12:16pm
NeoSteph:
Righ?:
lyrical_mess:
Kurtni:
lyrical_mess:
Crap. Sorry. I didn't read it properly. Lost my glasses again. I thought someone told me Sid Vicious was pregnant this morning.

lmfao Thats ok. I was reading through headlines on CNN the other day without my glasses, and I mixed two together and it was something about British people being upset about the price of single gay men. Shifty

Myopics unite!

**Has lost 10 braincells**
imagen the babiez....
**ponderz**

I find ithighly ironic that you worry about their offspring.
The statement may have been directed at Sid Vicious's offspring.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
May 29th, 2008 at 02:34pm
The statement may have been directed at Sid Vicious's offspring.

it was !
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 29th, 2008 at 05:03pm
Bleach:
For one, it is usually very selfish.
I disagree with that statement in every way and I shall explain why as soon as I find the suicide thread. Shifty
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 30th, 2008 at 10:50pm
Kurtni:
Bleach:
I disagree with that statement in every way and I shall explain why as soon as I find the suicide thread. Shifty
well, from the reasons I've heard of people killing themselves, yes.
like my ex friend for example
or people that just think they're 'depressed' ...or something...
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
May 31st, 2008 at 04:08am
Bleach:
Kurtni:
Bleach:
... well, you obviously have absolutely no idea what depression feels like.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 31st, 2008 at 05:20am
Slow Riot.:
Bleach:
Kurtni:
Bleach:
I think depression can be a very selfish feeling. I mean fundamentally I think we are solipsistic, but depression, self-loathing, self-harm can be pretty self-centered emotions because the individuals loose sight of the world as a whole. What they are doing to the people they know. How other people feel. You can never feel how others feel, but the least you can do is understand. Most f the time, teenages are obsessed with the superficial feeling that nobody understands them, well, it's not something they have to depend on others alone for, they should attempt to understnad others as well.

Anyway, the quality of your life is relative. Because you are unable to feel what other people feel, you cannot truely judge the value (or invalue) of your own life. Emotion is qualitative.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
May 31st, 2008 at 10:20am
givemyselfthecreeps!:
ocean avenue:
Omg is it just me or is this like Columbine, with Marilyn Manson and stuff.

I think that if some Christina Aguilera fan hung herself after starting to listen alot to her music, then noone would think "Omg it's because of the music! BAN X-TINA!!"
because it's pop, and ~it's happy~ Neutral
lmfao

People always make stupid correllations like that.
No, people just need to stop blaming it ~on the boogie~ and get over that there must be deeper issues than music when it comes to something like death
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 31st, 2008 at 04:07pm
That's a good point and really sad. And I always thought those "emo" groups and such were made up of groups of outcasts. And now you have to fit in with speshul emo outcasts...
Verbatim.
King For A Couple Of Days
Verbatim.
May 31st, 2008 at 07:01pm
lyrical_mess:
And now you have to fit in with speshul emo outcasts...

that's actually a good point.

If emo people are such 'outcasts' with no friends, as some of them claim to be, then why should someone have to 'fit in' with it? Surely if they were that lonely and friendless, they'd be grateful for anyone who wanted to hang out with them Dno

I get the feeling im going to be ripped apart for that Shifty
givemyselfthecreeps!
givemyselfthecreeps!
May 31st, 2008 at 07:41pm
Start Something.:
lyrical_mess:
And now you have to fit in with speshul emo outcasts...

that's actually a good point.

If emo people are such 'outcasts' with no friends, as some of them claim to be, then why should someone have to 'fit in' with it? Surely if they were that lonely and friendless, they'd be grateful for anyone who wanted to hang out with them Dno

I get the feeling im going to be ripped apart for that Shifty
lmfao

That's so true. Plus since when are people "initiated" into certain labels?
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 1st, 2008 at 09:40am
I think being an outcast is the new "popular". People push away their friends to seem "cool" to the emo groups or whatever. And when say...two or three people do this, they might somehow find each other and be their own group.

"We bonded when all of our friends abandoned us."

Friends: You jerk! You abandoned us!
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 1st, 2008 at 10:36am
Slow Riot.:
Bleach:
Kurtni:
Bleach:
Well obviously depression exists
I meant the people that just say something like, "Oh I got into a fist fight with my dad, everyone hates me, -cut cut- I am going to kill myself"

I read my previous post over, and that's not what I meant to say
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
June 2nd, 2008 at 01:33pm
Kurtni:
*Eat Tré`s Shoe*:

people influence themselves and they choose wheather they let other people influence them or not
I don't think so. Think Virtually every opinion you hold is the result of something influencing you, and I don't think you are always aware of the influence to make the choice.

well that shows weather you have control over yourself or not
if you let something get out of hand to the point of suicide
that's your choice
it's up to yourself to realize it
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 3rd, 2008 at 03:01am
Are you serious? I'm pretty sure that most of the time, depressed people have no control over it. Committing suicide is a choice, but its not the person's fault at all. There are things we have no control over.
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
June 4th, 2008 at 09:12pm
This thread pisses me off actually.
What is emo? Is it being depressed? Is it "scene people"?
Depressed people have no choice. Its either chemical problems in there head, with endorphiens and such, or its a tramatic life/happening.
Someone please give me an accurate definition of emo, because obviously I'm not stupid enough to know what it means.
I'm pissed at the fact that the media blames it on pop culture and not the parents.
Honestly, it was probably their fault somehow.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 4th, 2008 at 09:26pm
Love my insanity:

May I ask why?
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
June 4th, 2008 at 10:11pm
I have so much to say about this that I'm actually scared to start
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 4th, 2008 at 10:54pm
I remember I had something to say about this...
oh yeah
most 13 year olds aren't smart enough [Is smart the right word?] to understand the music, and they may just look at the basics, (screaming in music, black hair, clothing, eyeliner, dark themes) and totally exaggerate

okay, just bear with me as I say something incredibly dumb
maybe parents should talk about certain types of music and how to... behave when listening to them
I mean, mcr, green day, or blink don't promote suicide but... lookit at what happened

I think it was the girl's judgement and the crappy parenting that should be blamed
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
June 4th, 2008 at 11:15pm
Kurtni:
Love my insanity:

May I ask why?

Not the thread persay. I was talknig out of frustration, but the whole fact they made a spectacle and put it on the news. They dont cover other stories when 15 year olds kill themselves because of drugs. And I just think the whole situation is assinine, putting that families business in the enws. There child DIED why would they put that in the public eye, they have no respect for their kids life.
Register