Does the Media corrupt young people?

AuthorMessage
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
August 28th, 2005 at 01:15pm
I can see both sides. On one hand, young people read teenage magazines and watch soaps and stuff, and want to be just like the people they see there, and will go to all lengths to be like them.
One the other hand, some people are stronger than that and it doesn't affect them at all.
What are your views on it?
xxdearly_belovedxx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xxdearly_belovedxx
August 28th, 2005 at 08:59pm
i think i'm 50/50 on this issue.

yep, it's true, some youth (or whatever!) do strive to become like those stuff they see on TV... sext bodies... perfect hair... perfect everything. and the sex. yep. that poisons... us.

and on the other hand... there are some inspiring.. stuff...

i'm not good at this stuff.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
August 28th, 2005 at 10:43pm
isn't the POINT of the media for it to influence people?
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
August 29th, 2005 at 01:42am
It depends on the person. Some people can watch TV and read magazines and go to New York and Paris fashion shows and be totally unaffected, then there are the people who feel like they need to be a part of something. They're the ones who are influenced. They're the ones who hate Bush because Eminem and Green Day do.
Rowley
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Rowley
August 29th, 2005 at 03:55am
Anyone who tries to have the same life as someone in a soap is doomed.
Gilly the Goldfish
Jackass
Gilly the Goldfish
August 29th, 2005 at 10:27am
The media gives people a view that they want to be accepted, at the end of the day if you want to accept it it's up to you....they're trying to plant ideas,whether you agree with it or not isn't up to them......you may share their opinion or you may not, the media is no different to people telling you stuff...
Ninja_of_Suburbia
Geek
Ninja_of_Suburbia
August 29th, 2005 at 11:56am
oh wow we were just atlking about this in Psychology today
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 29th, 2005 at 10:48pm
xAnarchy4theUSAx:
isn't the POINT of the media for it to influence people?
XxJesusOfSuburbiaxX
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
XxJesusOfSuburbiaxX
August 30th, 2005 at 01:53am
Well, it all depends on what the media is trying to point out, one way or another, I mean it also is the feact that in supermarkets is showing like 'So and so's wild night out' is really gonna corrupt the minds of young.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 30th, 2005 at 05:59am
Media is a form of representing one persons thoughts and feelings in a way that it appeals to others.

or to sum it up bullshit.

yes their trying to influence you, thousands of different magazines and Newspapers, or with different stories and different interpretations, they want you to buy THEIR mediation.
Toastboy
Jackass
Toastboy
August 30th, 2005 at 07:27am
it does corrupt people, coz it wants u to think like them, but u hav to think for yourselves and hav ur own style
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
August 30th, 2005 at 02:56pm
duh, that's why we have a million young Michael Moore's in our schools who simply say "the president is stupid because of his accent and Dan Rather said so"

it's also why Christians think they have to do what seems Christian

both sides are bull shit
Michael Moore is entertainment, not politics, media isn't politics anymore, it's entertainment

for the Christians, God thinks on a higher plain than you, so obviously you both shouldn't reach the same conclusion on everything anyway
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
King For A Couple Of Days
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
August 30th, 2005 at 03:08pm
I think we bitch about it in every thread. The media are evil! There are so many kids that are so impressionable and the media know how to manipulate this so that the kids think that they have to have this or that to be "cool" or whatever. They tell us someone's beautiful. Beauty isn't pictures or makeup or clothes. Beauty comes from within. Stupid materialistic values in today's society!
St.JimmyT9109
Geek
St.JimmyT9109
August 30th, 2005 at 03:28pm
i think that they do if the kids r depressed and want to kno how to fit in or somethin but if the kids r smart and have an idenity then the media doesnt affect them
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
August 30th, 2005 at 03:55pm
Yes it does corrupt SOME young people....and some old people.....but there are some that it doesn't have any affect on. If you have a goal to be cool and you are stupid....then you will be corrupted a lot by it....if you don't care about that stuff though then neg. it won't.
VF Lover!
King For A Couple Of Days
VF Lover!
August 30th, 2005 at 07:11pm
haha. yes twin, it corrputs people.
everybody wants to believe what they hear, they all want to believe everything, they want to say things that are wrong about someone and then go with it like it's not a lie.
people are just dumb fucks like that.
but....there are the select few that transend the system. there are those who look past the rumors and form their own opinions and try to get the truth. everyone looks towards media as their source just because no one really has a mind of their own. they want to know what everybody else thinks.

(not sure if that made sense, but i guess if you would hear me saying it, then it would. i don't know really. O.o i hardly even understand what i just said.)
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
August 30th, 2005 at 07:49pm
lol its ok twin, i understood you
Eliana Rampage
Jackass
Eliana Rampage
August 30th, 2005 at 08:28pm
It really does. -.-
Everyone thinks that media is right and if it isn't it's like the end of the world. Hence, I do not watch TV often. It basically rules the world, and people need to wake up...
Ilse
Ilse
August 30th, 2005 at 08:31pm
Oh hell yes.

The media is minipulating facts. They make it out like the war is killing millions. When in all actuality we've lost around 2,000 troops.

But yet, no one has anything about the 2.5 million dying of aids every year, and the 16,500 alcohol related accidents that have killed people.
Eliana Rampage
Jackass
Eliana Rampage
August 30th, 2005 at 08:34pm
September_has_Ended:
Oh hell yes.

The media is minipulating facts. They make it out like the war is killing millions. When in all actuality we've lost around 2,000 troops.

But yet, no one has anything about the 2.5 million dying of aids every year, and the 16,500 alcohol related accidents that have killed people.

So true...=/
They only announce major terrorist attacks, when there are actually several a day...
Register