Does the Media corrupt young people?

AuthorMessage
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 30th, 2005 at 10:08pm
the media is full of funny people saying dumb things...

today a suicide bomber blew himself up today

yea, i shouldnt laugh about it, but REALLY. what happened to the good old days when it was unbiased? o wait, that NEVER happened
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
King For A Couple Of Days
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
August 31st, 2005 at 05:11am
Why is it...well this just pisses me off...that they only mention the suicide bombers when british or american people are killed. Or when there are big fires they say "35,000 people were killed, 2 of them were english." Who cares where they came from? It was just as tragic either way...well anyway...that has nothing to do with corruption.
evil*monkey*robot
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
evil*monkey*robot
August 31st, 2005 at 11:43am
I feel weird about the whole media corruption situation. It's a 50/50 thing.

I do beleive that they are effecting the minds of people in a way that isn't right. I mean, I looked after a 4 year old girl the other day and she started dancing and flashing herself to me and her cousin. I was shocked by this and asked where she learned to do that. And her reply was 'TV told me' This is proof that children are being subjected to images and programmes that they shouldn't be. But on the other hand, there are a lot of educational and entertaining things for them too.

I myself am a Media student. I took this course so that I could make movies and have an inside look at how the world of the media works. One of my tutors is wonderful and thinks that mass meida is bad and that people shouldn't have propeganda shoved down their throat.s But the other one, he thinks that it's the media's duty to be everywhere and tell the world what is 'cool' and what they should buy.

At one point on the course, we had to make a commercial for a product. I did as I was told and handed in the finished product, he took one look at it and said 'You expect to change people's opinions with this? You don't need to persuade them, you need to convince them' And with that, he gave me a failing grade.

With all the sex and violence in the media, accesable to everyone and every age I do think that the media is getting out of hand. But then, isn't the media just mirroring what's going on in real life?
EchoBrain
Falling In Love With The Board
EchoBrain
August 31st, 2005 at 02:39pm
yes...
EchoBrain
EchoBrain
August 31st, 2005 at 02:40pm
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
Why is it...well this just pisses me off...that they only mention the suicide bombers when british or american people are killed. Or when there are big fires they say "35,000 people were killed, 2 of them were english." Who cares where they came from? It was just as tragic either way...well anyway...that has nothing to do with corruption.
I hate it when that happeneds too...
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
August 31st, 2005 at 08:18pm
it's not the media as much it is people taking the media seriously anymore

it's modern entertainment, people want to think Bush is a jerk that illegally got out of the draft so Dan Rather got on his computer and made false papers about it

people want to blame the president for everything, so Michael Moore blames the school shootings in Columbine on Clinton

it's all entertainment, so quit thinking it's real
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
August 31st, 2005 at 08:50pm
what people dont understand is that the media is all lies... about 85% of people read tabloids (eg the sun, news of the world, daily mirror) which is just full of celebraty gossip and they like to scare monger alot of the time. They dont care about the real news as long as they are making money. They exaggerate story to tap into your emotions so you feel sorry for people, because of this 'emotive writing' people will believe anything therefore corrupting the minds of not just young people but anyone.

i knew a diploma in media would come in handy one day
Rae.
Post Whore
Rae.
August 31st, 2005 at 08:54pm
XxXflowerfairyXxX:

A bit off topic but I have to agree. Like when the whole terrist attack a while ago it was all over the news of course but you heard more about "4 Canadians injured" then anything else...its sad. So what their from this country doesn't mean their anymore significant than anyone else
LordsOfDogTown<5
LordsOfDogTown<5
August 31st, 2005 at 11:30pm
i wrote a 4 page essay on this topic. And now i cant remeber what i wrote, but it was some good stuff.
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
September 1st, 2005 at 06:10am
comfortably confused:
what people dont understand is that the media is all lies... about 85% of people read tabloids (eg the sun, news of the world, daily mirror) which is just full of celebraty gossip and they like to scare monger alot of the time. They dont care about the real news as long as they are making money. They exaggerate story to tap into your emotions so you feel sorry for people, because of this 'emotive writing' people will believe anything therefore corrupting the minds of not just young people but anyone.

Not ALL media is lies. Unfortunately a lot of it is. My dad bought my brother the news of the world because it some free cricket DVD in it and everything I read was complete shit. I don't think I have ever read such scare mongering gossip. Thankfully my parents do not normally buy tabloids.
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
September 1st, 2005 at 08:18am
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:

Not ALL media is lies. Unfortunately a lot of it is. My dad bought my brother the news of the world because it some free cricket DVD in it and everything I read was complete shit. I don't think I have ever read such scare mongering gossip. Thankfully my parents do not normally buy tabloids.
you'll probabley find that all the stories contains at least one bit of false information to keep their readers interested
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
September 1st, 2005 at 08:25am
comfortably confused:
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:

you'll probabley find that all the stories contains at least one bit of false information to keep their readers interested
I dunno...I think there is the odd news story that hasn't got lies in it.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
September 1st, 2005 at 08:36am
well it sells newspapers so of course there going to put lies in. If the truth was more interesting then they would probably put that wouldnt they.
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
September 1st, 2005 at 08:39am
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:

yeah...rarely... broadsheets tell the truth, they contain a load of information thats why higher class people read it (im not being mean its all down to statisics) if yound people read it then their minds wouldnt be as corrupted by the media.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
September 1st, 2005 at 09:39am
comfortably confused:
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:

yeah...rarely... broadsheets tell the truth, they contain a load of information thats why higher class people read it (im not being mean its all down to statisics) if yound people read it then their minds wouldnt be as corrupted by the media.
broadsheets arent perfectly innocent of lying occasionly though.
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
September 1st, 2005 at 10:46am
Dom:
comfortably confused:
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:

I've only ever read broadsheets and local news, they aren't 100% truthful either though really.
comfortably confused
comfortably confused
September 1st, 2005 at 11:39am
Dom:
comfortably confused:
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:
XxXflowerfairyXxX:
comfortably confused:

no paper is, its how they work, it just broadsheets are more reliable Very Happy
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
September 1st, 2005 at 12:19pm
some people feel so insecure about themselves they want to be someone else...this is all down to the media's version of "the perfect person". dieting because you're overweight is ok, because after all it's also affecting your health...but fake eye-lashes, fake nails, even plastic surgery just to look like someone off of t.v isn't right. being happy within yourself is what's important and people are missing that point...due to people with more power than them (eg. the media) and the only way the media is powerful is because people give in to it and belive what it says, no matter how ridiculous...
christie road
Addict
christie road
September 1st, 2005 at 01:06pm
i think that i does affect everyone in some way, shape or form.

and to some people it can even result in suicide ..... cuz some people get so depressed that they cant look a certain way or be like that person they want to be ... and then all the other pressures of being a teenager ....... some can end up killing themselves
Baguelle
Baguelle
September 1st, 2005 at 11:56pm
I don't like soaps. It's all about who slept with who and "OMGOMG!" but I'll watch things like Friends and Joey or Will and Grace. Those really aren't soaps but in some parts, it can get a little like them. I will admit to reading magazines like People or Us. They interest me. I don't try to be like the people in them but I will also admit to buying the stupid "Bop" magazines or whatever, 'cause they have GD poster in them. After a while, I'll skim through them for a good laugh but then I end up getting really into the quizzes and shit. I'm just weird like that.
Register