AuthorMessage
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 28th, 2005 at 12:43am
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
i think it's VERY possible. I was watching a movie in science class about the solar system and it talked about the speed of light. They said something like the planets you see, it takes such and such a many years for that light to reach you. Therefore, you're looking into the past.

That has to have something to do with it, it's like a hint.
yes! it takes 8 minutes for light to travel from the sun to the earth, so if the sun were to blow up, we wouldnt know till 8 minutes after it had happened.
lmfao

personally, that was the FIRST thing i thought of when i saw that video.

Maybe if people though of that and tried to work with it, then it could happen.

but it would have to have restricted usage. it could fuck up so many things.
i personally dont think anyone should ever travel back in time if they got given the chance. but then looking into the past is quite a different thing, i mean, even just thinking past memories i suppose could be considered seeing into the past. and that way, you couldnt change things.
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Falling In Love With The Board
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 28th, 2005 at 12:45am
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
i think it's VERY possible. I was watching a movie in science class about the solar system and it talked about the speed of light. They said something like the planets you see, it takes such and such a many years for that light to reach you. Therefore, you're looking into the past.

yes! it takes 8 minutes for light to travel from the sun to the earth, so if the sun were to blow up, we wouldnt know till 8 minutes after it had happened.
lmfao

i personally dont think anyone should ever travel back in time if they got given the chance. but then looking into the past is quite a different thing, i mean, even just thinking past memories i suppose could be considered seeing into the past. and that way, you couldnt change things.
i would rather look into the past than actually go. i would like to go and like... walk around lol maybe talk to people but i wouldnt want to change anything. i think its too dangerous.
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 28th, 2005 at 12:53am
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:

lmfao

i would rather look into the past than actually go. i would like to go and like... walk around lol maybe talk to people but i wouldnt want to change anything. i think its too dangerous.
yeah but no matter what you do, you would change something, even if you just sat alone on a park bench and didnt speak. you would change something, or many things.
Kitti
Kitti
December 28th, 2005 at 11:28am
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:

lmfao

yeah but no matter what you do, you would change something, even if you just sat alone on a park bench and didnt speak. you would change something, or many things.
Chaos Theory.
Something as small as the fluttering of the wings of a butterfly can ultimately cause typhoons across the world.
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 28th, 2005 at 12:48pm
paradoxical:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:

lmfao

Chaos Theory.
Something as small as the fluttering of the wings of a butterfly can ultimately cause typhoons across the world.
"Picking a flower can jiggle a star"

and i now think that its not really appropriate, besides out of research to look back into the past.

But what about going into the FUTURE?
Kitti
Kitti
December 28th, 2005 at 01:17pm
[QUOTE="MikeThe responsibility of knowing what might happen...the stress would kill us, you know?
Besides...the future is variable. We can't KNOW that what we see will happen, even if time travel were possible. Like...I'm painting my fingernails at the moment. But what if I wasn't? How would that affect the future?
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
December 28th, 2005 at 02:02pm
Ah, time travel. I do love comic books. And Dr. Who. And "Sphere" by Mike Crichton.

I would say that if time travel was to occur, and anything was "changed", nothing would change. If we are to believe that time travel is linear, then the future has already been planned based on the actions of people in the past. Hence, the future has factored in anybody's time-travel in the future. There's nothing you can do to change the future.

The closest you can get to time travel, I believe (for the time being, at least), is to go as closely towards light speed as possible. According to Einstein's Theory of Relativity, you'll age slower, and so travel through time more slwoly than the rest of us. Not much, but close.
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 28th, 2005 at 03:29pm
paradoxical:
[QUOTE="MikeThe responsibility of knowing what might happen...the stress would kill us, you know?
Besides...the future is variable. We can't KNOW that what we see will happen, even if time travel were possible. Like...I'm painting my fingernails at the moment. But what if I wasn't? How would that affect the future?
once again, it's like those books that say 'go to page 24 if you want him to go into the forest'. i always check all the possible outcomes listed.
There are millions of paths to go down, so there are always options. therefore, looking into the future, may be like... seeing different windows, looking outside, and seeing yourself, and how you could be. Therefore, giving you that option to choose a path.
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 29th, 2005 at 03:21am
if one could see into the future, theoretically, they could change the future, by not doing what they saw, but if they were to do that, would it still be changing the future? or would it simply be that the scene or events of the "future" they saw in the first place were incorrect?
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
December 29th, 2005 at 10:08pm
poison_fish:
if one could see into the future, theoretically, they could change the future, by not doing what they saw, but if they were to do that, would it still be changing the future? or would it simply be that the scene or events of the "future" they saw in the first place were incorrect?
See, the way I look at it...the future is the future. Like I said, if you see the future, then that's how it'll be. You can't change it.

At point A in time, you look into your crystal ball/time portal (or something) and see point C, a week in the future. What you see is your dog's death. If you try to stop your dog from being killed, you'll fail. Try locking it up, whatever. The future you saw is of you trying to stop it, but failing. (I think that makes sense?)
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 29th, 2005 at 11:15pm
dirtyhippie:
poison_fish:
See, the way I look at it...the future is the future. Like I said, if you see the future, then that's how it'll be. You can't change it.

At point A in time, you look into your crystal ball/time portal (or something) and see point C, a week in the future. What you see is your dog's death. If you try to stop your dog from being killed, you'll fail. Try locking it up, whatever. The future you saw is of you trying to stop it, but failing. (I think that makes sense?)
yeah same for me. its like it doesnt matter, thats where you're meant to be, so you're stuck with it.
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 29th, 2005 at 11:27pm
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
dirtyhippie:
poison_fish:

yeah same for me. its like it doesnt matter, thats where you're meant to be, so you're stuck with it.
yeah but you can still change it. like if you saw your dogs death and it got hit by a car in 5 days time then you go and chop your dogs head off with an axe the next day. then you will be changing what you saw. i mean, yes, your dog sill died, but in a different way from what you saw.
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 30th, 2005 at 08:35am
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
dirtyhippie:
poison_fish:

yeah but you can still change it. like if you saw your dogs death and it got hit by a car in 5 days time then you go and chop your dogs head off with an axe the next day. then you will be changing what you saw. i mean, yes, your dog sill died, but in a different way from what you saw.
Trust me, I would NOT. Be cutting my dog's head off. I would keep her inside, only out to the backyard, where it's fenced in.
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 30th, 2005 at 09:29pm
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
dirtyhippie:
poison_fish:

Trust me, I would NOT. Be cutting my dog's head off. I would keep her inside, only out to the backyard, where it's fenced in.

haha, yeah i know! neither would i, but im just using it as an example you know, cause i mean, if you knew your dog was gunna get hit by a car in 5 days and you kept her insode, a car could still come bashing through the wall of your house and hit it. but... yeah ya know. twas just an example.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
December 31st, 2005 at 12:54pm
poison_fish:
haha, yeah i know! neither would i, but im just using it as an example you know, cause i mean, if you knew your dog was gunna get hit by a car in 5 days and you kept her insode, a car could still come bashing through the wall of your house and hit it. but... yeah ya know. twas just an example.

But then, if you tried to kill your dog, the dog would escape from you, go barreling out the window and escape, to be run over by a car in a few days' time. That's how I look at it. If we're going to say that you can look into the future at all, then the future is preordained. I don't think that's true; I believe the future is unwritten and we can shape our own destinies as we like.
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 31st, 2005 at 12:58pm
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
dirtyhippie:
poison_fish:

NOO!!! don't say that... please, i love my dog.
Insurgentes
Post Whore
Insurgentes

Mibba
December 31st, 2005 at 01:04pm
you know I think it is possible. Anybody ever heard of the Bermuda Triangle? There's lots of speculation saying that there's wormholes and such in there which is why wierd stuff always happens there. Which would explain ship disappearances. They get sucked through a wormhole and launched into a another time whether it be past or future.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
December 31st, 2005 at 01:14pm
[QUOTE="MikeLover, pal, you've convinced me. I'm going to take a swim in the Bermuda Triangle and see what happens.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 31st, 2005 at 01:20pm
I just don't see why anyone would want to mess with time. I'm happy living my life in the present, not wanting to go back or forwards in time.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
December 31st, 2005 at 01:44pm
Yeah, if the technology were available, we'd have so many time problems, it wouldn't be funny. Politicians sending bombs back in time--you know we'd try to wipe out Lenin (God rest his soul) before he'd even thought of Communism!
Register