Independance

AuthorMessage
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 26th, 2007 at 10:41pm
[quote=There is a slight difference between fighting to remain Scottish and fighting to remain free.

To be in full and upmost honesty...I really do not want independance for Scotland (coming from a Scot) for two reasons.

1. We have oil and we would get invaded (lol. I love that joke. Tis brilliant)
2. I want to be the next Maggie Thatcher/Gordon Brown/Charles Kennady...ruling over The Earth The UK.

The Union has worked for so many years, why bother giving it up? It just needs to be jiggled a bit.[/quote]

Are you from Edinburgh? Just cos thats where the most support for the union seems to be.
Not to take any validity away from your opinion but I dont really think those are good reasons to not want indepedance.
1. I'd like to see anyone try - just look at what happened to the romans
and 2. Thats the whole reason we even became part of the union, greedy scots valued furthering themselves over independance

Its not necessarily that the union hasnt worked its just that to me it doesnt feel right being under english rule. We should at the very least get our own nation anthem (officially) and St. Andrew's day as a holiday, but with the SNP now in charge I'm hopping that these will be addressed!
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 26th, 2007 at 10:42pm
damn for the failed quoting attempt
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
August 27th, 2007 at 05:12pm
Elegant Rubble:
Sally Sparrow (Soon to be Master of The Universe:
There is a slight difference between fighting to remain Scottish and fighting to remain free.

To be in full and upmost honesty...I really do not want independance for Scotland (coming from a Scot) for two reasons.

1. We have oil and we would get invaded (lol. I love that joke. Tis brilliant)
2. I want to be the next Maggie Thatcher/Gordon Brown/Charles Kennady...ruling over The Earth The UK.

The Union has worked for so many years, why bother giving it up? It just needs to be jiggled a bit.

Are you from Edinburgh? Just cos thats where the most support for the union seems to be.
Not to take any validity away from your opinion but I dont really think those are good reasons to not want indepedance.
1. I'd like to see anyone try - just look at what happened to the romans
and 2. Thats the whole reason we even became part of the union, greedy scots valued furthering themselves over independance

Its not necessarily that the union hasnt worked its just that to me it doesnt feel right being under english rule. We should at the very least get our own nation anthem (officially) and St. Andrew's day as a holiday, but with the SNP now in charge I'm hoping that these will be addressed!
Ha! Edinburgh?

I'm from Dumbarton (ie hop, skip and jump from Loch Lomond. Very pretty place. Not Dumbarton, it's a pigsty).

Historically, The Union was due to ol' Lizzie The First croaking without a kid, leaving James VII or James I of England in charge of both. The parliamentary union in 1707 was just due to tidying up loose ends.

Actually, we aren't under English rule...we have our representatives in Westminster and even have a Scot in the #10 saddle. We are under British rule, ie everyone being represented. Every English, Welsh. Scot and Northern Irish person, whether they like it or not. This is called democracy. I would understand if the whole of the House of Commons came from a twelve mile radius of London but they are from far and wide. If you have a problem with how you are being represented then you vote for some other dude next time round.

There are so many issues wrapped up in this, fires within fires and wheels within wheels. What about currency? Would we keep the pound or uptake on the Euro? A lot of arguments could stem from that issue alone. We would need to obtain either a lot more governmental staff or give more work to the people we already have. We'd have crime on our own to handle.

What abou people coming up from England to work in Scotland or vise versa? What of even tourists? Would anyone from the UK need to use a passport just to get into Scotland when only a few years, months, days ago they could hop the border as many damn times as they like.

Wheels within wheels I tellsya, and fires within fires.

And it would be so easy to take over Earth. Well, the developed part anyway then it's old fashioned warfare for the rest of it...or quite possibly just a series of fifteen satellites transmitting at a particular frequency hypnotising the world. Very Happy
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 27th, 2007 at 05:41pm
Oh my God, talk about currency, I hate it when I bring Scottish pounds down to London, because no one excepts them even though they are legal tender. Once at Picadilly I was trying to get a paper off this man and I gave him the coins and he flipped out. 'What is this, some kind of joke?' And I was like, 'Come off it, it's from Scotland, just take it.' But he kept on saying, 'Rubbish, you're shitting me.'

In the end I just gave up trying.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 27th, 2007 at 05:43pm
Sally Sparrow:
Actually, we aren't under English rule...we have our representatives in Westminster and even have a Scot in the #10 saddle. We are under British rule, ie everyone being represented. Every English, Welsh. Scot and Northern Irish person, whether they like it or not. This is called democracy.
Thank you for saying what I was going to say, only with ten times more accuracy.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
August 27th, 2007 at 05:45pm
Anji:
Sally Sparrow:
Actually, we aren't under English rule...we have our representatives in Westminster and even have a Scot in the #10 saddle. We are under British rule, ie everyone being represented. Every English, Welsh. Scot and Northern Irish person, whether they like it or not. This is called democracy.
Thank you for saying what I was going to say, only with ten times more accuracy.
Thanks...I think. Mr. Green I get the vague point across rather well, methinks.

And that whole not-accepting-Scottish-notes-thing is so...wrong. Somewhere I heard that technically, English money isn't entirely legal though it may be just...rubbish.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 27th, 2007 at 11:40pm
it would all work out
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 12:57pm
Elegant Rubble:
it would all work out
How would you know?
schooldropout
Banned
schooldropout

Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 02:29pm
I can't say anything but I agree. The Goverment won't let Alex Salmond have the independent scotland, because they know that they will have no control over anything. The smoking ban was tried in Scotland, instead of taking extra taxes from the people in england they did it in scotland.

For thousands of years men and women have died for an independenct Scotland, but if Scotland became independent England would have no control and less money .
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 07:01pm
Sally Sparrow:
Elegant Rubble:
it would all work out
How would you know?

because things always work out, not always the way you thought and it may take a while but I do believe that everything works its self out in the end. Yes there will be a lot of fall out issues to deal with but they would be sorted out in the end
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 07:11pm
Anji:
Oh my God, talk about currency, I hate it when I bring Scottish pounds down to London, because no one excepts them even though they are legal tender. Once at Picadilly I was trying to get a paper off this man and I gave him the coins and he flipped out. 'What is this, some kind of joke?' And I was like, 'Come off it, it's from Scotland, just take it.' But he kept on saying, 'Rubbish, you're shitting me.'

In the end I just gave up trying.

haha - i've had a similar experience
when i was in london I had no idea that they didnt excpet scottish notes, I got a funny look then spent like ten years trying to explain everything cos nobody could understand my accent! I love it when people cant undestand scottish accents, its so funny - as Robin Williams put it, its a "linguistic adventure"

But also there have been some places in glasgow that didnt except english notes so you can already see a divide in the economy so it wouldnt be that big of a leap to complete seperation in that sense
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
August 28th, 2007 at 11:28pm
What do other people think about the situation in Northern Ireland? I feel that it should be rejoined with the South.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 11:46pm
Luna Lovegood:
What do other people think about the situation in Northern Ireland? I feel that it should be rejoined with the South.

I dont really know enough about the situation to say one way or the other but from a purely selfish perspective I would agree - if N.Ireland joined with the Republic then that might provide an oppertunity for Scotland to become independant as it would be the first step in the collapse of the kingdom.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 29th, 2007 at 03:49pm
Elegant Rubble:
Luna Lovegood:

I dont really know enough about the situation to say one way or the other but from a purely selfish perspective I would agree - if N.Ireland joined with the Republic then that might provide an oppertunity for Scotland to become independant as it would be the first step in the collapse of the kingdom.
Oh my Lord. Are there serously no conservatists left in this world? You say that as if it's something to look forward to. If that ever happens, Heaven help Wales, for we would surely suffer the most seeing as we have probably some of the strongest ties to England in terms of identity. What is wrong with being 'British'? Why is that so wrong? If England truely wanted to dominate everyone, why didn't they just called Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland 'England' as well, and everyone be made 'English'. We are all British.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 29th, 2007 at 03:52pm
And still, I'm not sure how you are not free. I don't know why, but this isn't being explained properly. Your history is not some sort of prison cell, holding you back, it's your future, learning from you past, that's what should really matter in this. And I don't qute get it, still. There seems to be no real issue that would come up in the future where The Scots would be threatened with something from being under the British rule.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
August 29th, 2007 at 04:04pm
Anji:
Elegant Rubble:
Luna Lovegood:

Oh my Lord. Are there serously no conservatists left in this world? You say that as if it's something to look forward to. If that ever happens, Heaven help Wales, for we would surely suffer the most seeing as we have probably some of the strongest ties to England in terms of identity. What is wrong with being 'British'? Why is that so wrong? If England truely wanted to dominate everyone, why didn't they just called Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland 'England' as well, and everyone be made 'English'. We are all British.
NI isn't part of Britain. It's part of the UK, but not Great Britain.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 29th, 2007 at 05:52pm
Luna Lovegood:
Anji:
Elegant Rubble:
Luna Lovegood:

They are 'British citizens'. Confused By law they are. And I usually hear them refer to themselves, on a whole, as British. I mean, you can't say 'United Kingdom-ish', can you.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
August 29th, 2007 at 06:48pm
Elegant Rubble:
Sally Sparrow:
Elegant Rubble:
it would all work out
How would you know?

because things always work out, not always the way you thought and it may take a while but I do believe that everything works its self out in the end. Yes there will be a lot of fall out issues to deal with but they would be sorted out in the end
Like Communism, you mean?
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
August 29th, 2007 at 06:51pm
Anji:
Luna Lovegood:
Anji:
Elegant Rubble:
Luna Lovegood:

They are 'British citizens'. Confused By law they are. And I usually hear them refer to themselves, on a whole, as British. I mean, you can't say 'United Kingdom-ish', can you.
A lot of the Northern Irish I know would hate to be called British.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 30th, 2007 at 11:46am
Luna Lovegood:
[A lot of the Northern Irish I know would hate to be called British.
No way! Rolling Eyes Of course they do, that doesn't mean that they aren't however. Their passports specifically say so.
Register