Time travel

AuthorMessage
I.Heart.Panic.
King For A Couple Of Days
I.Heart.Panic.
December 22nd, 2005 at 04:42pm
I think time travel is quite fascinating really. (I like Doctor Who Cool )
Yeah, so I was just thinking, if someone from our time went back in time and changed something, we wouldn't know, would we? So there could be like people who are like assigned to do that. Go back and change stuff so that we don't know it happened. You know?
I'd love to time travel. Go back in time. The future, too. Imagine seeing yourself in twenty years time. God that'd be amazing. Or to go back and meet your parents when they're your age? That'd be so cool.
But I don't think it actually happens. I think if it did really happen someone would know by now and would've sold the concept to someone and everyone would know, or recorded it, or something. I don't know.
I wish I had a Tardis....................
franzi
Falling In Love With The Board
franzi
December 22nd, 2005 at 05:03pm
well if you circled the earth a few good times at a high speed and say, you circled it like 4 times in like 10 hours, you would be 4 days older than the people who didnt circle the earth 4 times in 10 hours, wouldnt you? Confused
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 22nd, 2005 at 09:12pm
Spirit Of '77:
it's not possible. that idea makes just about as much sense as the christian religion.

first of all, the way we keep track of time is a man made creation and is therefore only "in line" with the earth because we decided it is. so there's no way that it would suddenly be like, 2500, unless we randomly decieded it was.

next, even if you went through some sort of portal or something, you wouldnt be in a different time, just a different place. your biological clock would still be the same, and therefore you would still be in the same time. everyone around you may think they're in the year 2042, but to you it's still 2005.

you can't go back and forth between times at the same place because to go into the future you'd have to skip over all sorts of things that are suppossed to happen. so therefore, even if you did get there, it wouldnt be what it would actually be if you were to actually live through all that time and get there.

and to go to the past you'd have to erase all the time that has happened after that. and you can't erase things that have happened to the earth, you can't resurrect the long past dead, and you couldn't re-live the exact same thing the exact same way.

that probably makes absolutley no sense. but i know what i'm getting at...

we know what you're getting to, don't think you have some great mind we cannot comprehend, and don't think I won't nail you for being an asshole
do not descrimenate ANY religion (Scientology and Kabalah aren't real religions), and don't speak in definates unless you're positive

traveling ahead of time is possible just by going into space and traveling at a certain rate
they did a month long test and just as Einstein's Theory proved, the watch on the ship was ahead by twenty minutes (there were moniters and cameras so don't think someone changed it)
they did a study back in the eighties where some one would take a space shuttle to the Milky Way line and back but they ran out of fuel or died or something so it didn't work...but if the dude made it back he would have made it four hundred years in advance

traveling back in time is the only sceptism....it is only possible through opening a worm hole....but the biggest worm holes have gotten are a few atoms, so we obviously cannot fit a space shuttle in them
(and if would ever work wouldn't we have found some future people by now????it's not like we'd find the secret and not come back
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 22nd, 2005 at 09:15pm
hi again:
well if you circled the earth a few good times at a high speed and say, you circled it like 4 times in like 10 hours, you would be 4 days older than the people who didnt circle the earth 4 times in 10 hours, wouldnt you? Confused
it has nothing to do with time zones by the way, time travel is impossible on Earth alone, you woudl have to go into space to do it

does no one get the science channel???? there was a two hour special on time travel last Thursday on channel 173
Dimebag Dan \m/
Geek
Dimebag Dan \m/
December 22nd, 2005 at 09:58pm
But what if u could travel abck to see what happened but you were invisible to everyone so you dditn effect anyone or anything just there to experience the feel not to be intereacting just to see that would be cool but effecting ur future is a dangerous thing becuase something that wasnt meant to happen would probably happy and it could be a catastrophe
Kitti
Kitti
December 22nd, 2005 at 10:05pm
poison_fish:
paradoxical:
that_bass_line:
it's physically impossible. there isnt enough particles in the universe to make it happen.

[is a science geek]

well. we have 10 dimensions--9 space, one time.
probability says thats about right.
and then there's string theory, thats 3 dimensions of space and one dimension of time. does that change things? it condenses the space dimensions to those we can observe in nature. does it affect how we view time travel?
i dont know. will look into it though.
because i too am a science geek.

10 dimensions? i never knew there were that many. theres the thing with worm holes, which is largely to do with the different dimensions. theres a quote from the physicist Sagan which says that to get from one place/time to another, if they are so far apart that it would take more than a generational time, even going the speed of light to get from one to the other, so instead we must use a tunnel [wormhole] that goes through another dimension to get from one point to the other.

possibly eleven dimensions, but ten proven. we only observe four in nature. first is a line, the second a square, the third a cube, and the fourth time.
the idea of string theory is that relativity explains the way big things move, quantum mechanics explains how small things like sub atomic particles move, but neither accounts for both and they cant really be used in conjunction with one another. string theory explains both with the idea that subatomic particles arent the smallest unit of matter, theyre basically smaller than quarks (proton theory, little confusing). its really interesting. its a theory einstein was toying with, theyve almost proven it all...and then when they figure out the last bits of the theory, it will be called "M-Theory." that's the mother of all theories...which i find a bit funny.
google "string theory" and see what you come up with, its pretty fascinating.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 22nd, 2005 at 10:06pm
Rancid_Dan_90:
But what if u could travel abck to see what happened but you were invisible to everyone so you dditn effect anyone or anything just there to experience the feel not to be intereacting just to see that would be cool but effecting ur future is a dangerous thing becuase something that wasnt meant to happen would probably happy and it could be a catastrophe
no, the only way to do it is through a worm hole
they have not found a way to make them big enough for humans
and the tests they've run, yes, you are visable (if your only resource is teh second Harry Potter.....nevermind
franzi
franzi
December 23rd, 2005 at 08:06am
spill_no_sick:
hi again:
it has nothing to do with time zones by the way, time travel is impossible on Earth alone, you woudl have to go into space to do it

does no one get the science channel???? there was a two hour special on time travel last Thursday on channel 173

no science channel here Laughing

channel 173? g-sus krist! how many channels do you have? Laughing
Dimebag Dan \m/
Geek
Dimebag Dan \m/
December 23rd, 2005 at 09:28am
spill_no_sick:
Rancid_Dan_90:
no, the only way to do it is through a worm hole
they have not found a way to make them big enough for humans
and the tests they've run, yes, you are visable (if your only resource is teh second Harry Potter.....nevermind

Really I wasnt think about Harry Potter to be honest, it just came to me really plus Harry Potter aint goood to me so if i watch it i dont remember all that much and i didnt remember that either
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
December 23rd, 2005 at 10:35am
spill_no_sick:
Spirit Of '77:
it's not possible. that idea makes just about as much sense as the christian religion.

first of all, the way we keep track of time is a man made creation and is therefore only "in line" with the earth because we decided it is. so there's no way that it would suddenly be like, 2500, unless we randomly decieded it was.

next, even if you went through some sort of portal or something, you wouldnt be in a different time, just a different place. your biological clock would still be the same, and therefore you would still be in the same time. everyone around you may think they're in the year 2042, but to you it's still 2005.

you can't go back and forth between times at the same place because to go into the future you'd have to skip over all sorts of things that are suppossed to happen. so therefore, even if you did get there, it wouldnt be what it would actually be if you were to actually live through all that time and get there.

and to go to the past you'd have to erase all the time that has happened after that. and you can't erase things that have happened to the earth, you can't resurrect the long past dead, and you couldn't re-live the exact same thing the exact same way.

we know what you're getting to, don't think you have some great mind we cannot comprehend, and don't think I won't nail you for being an asshole
do not descrimenate ANY religion (Scientology and Kabalah aren't real religions), and don't speak in definates unless you're positive

i ment it might not make sense because i word things badly Rolling Eyes

and if you honestly dont know why i say that shit about christianity, you're even stupider than i am...
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
December 23rd, 2005 at 10:37am
spill_no_sick:
Spirit Of '77:

traveling ahead of time is possible just by going into space and traveling at a certain rate
they did a month long test and just as Einstein's Theory proved, the watch on the ship was ahead by twenty minutes (there were moniters and cameras so don't think someone changed it)
they did a study back in the eighties where some one would take a space shuttle to the Milky Way line and back but they ran out of fuel or died or something so it didn't work...but if the dude made it back he would have made it four hundred years in advance

traveling back in time is the only sceptism....it is only possible through opening a worm hole....but the biggest worm holes have gotten are a few atoms, so we obviously cannot fit a space shuttle in them
(and if would ever work wouldn't we have found some future people by now????it's not like we'd find the secret and not come back

that's all far too confusing for me... haha. it just doesnt seem possible that these things would actually exist.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
December 23rd, 2005 at 11:08am
Nick, may I just say, good a debater you are, you always seem to disobey one of the rules and make personal attacks on people calling them assholes/dumbasses etc etc. It's mean!
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 23rd, 2005 at 12:10pm
it's not against the rules though
I said respect the person's right to have an opinion

so if their opinion is completely assholic (like some Neo-Hitler that says the Christian religion should go)

I just give reason to do it
if they have enough reason and evidence to back their argument up they're welcome
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
December 23rd, 2005 at 12:13pm
But in Steph's it says attack the argument not the person.
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 23rd, 2005 at 03:21pm
spill_no_sick:
Spirit Of '77:

and the other thing with opening a wormhole is, aside from the fact that they're so small, they're also appearing and dissapearing every minute, so another issue is getting something so a wormhole can be held open.
plus even if it were possible, there are a million reasons why we may not have found a"Future person" as of now. and there wont be any people from way in the past either, obviously, because time travel hasnt been invented yet. and even if there was someone who claimed to be from the 1800's or something, they would probably be declared clinically insane.
s0dapop_and_ritalin
Geek
s0dapop_and_ritalin
December 25th, 2005 at 07:18pm
poison_fish:
k i have now become fascinated by time travel. so...

do you think its possible? and if so would it be a good thing or a bad thing?

in my opinion i do think its possible to travel forward in time, through wormholes and space travel etc. but personally i dont think its at all possible to travel back in time, because as of now i have found no evidence that proves it is possible.
and i think travelling forward in time isnt such a bad thing, but one would have to be very careful with it considering [if my opinion is correct], they wouldnt be able to get back. but to travel back in time, if it was possible, i think would be incredibly dangerous and really should never be done because no matter what you do, no matter where you go, you will change something somehow that could alter the whole of history.

i really hope it doesnt become possible...

who knows what will happen to the world?

some idiot scientist might want to go back and save the dinosaurs.

then well all find ourselves in their bellies.
TheFaggot
King For A Couple Of Days
TheFaggot
December 25th, 2005 at 07:59pm
I think that it's possible, but there are so many variables that we don't know about... Personally, I do belive in the chaos theory so if it isn't possible NOW, it will be.
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 28th, 2005 at 12:30am
i think it's VERY possible. I was watching a movie in science class about the solar system and it talked about the speed of light. They said something like the planets you see, it takes such and such a many years for that light to reach you. Therefore, you're looking into the past.

That has to have something to do with it, it's like a hint.
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 28th, 2005 at 12:34am
Mike's Demonic Daunter:
i think it's VERY possible. I was watching a movie in science class about the solar system and it talked about the speed of light. They said something like the planets you see, it takes such and such a many years for that light to reach you. Therefore, you're looking into the past.

yes! it takes 8 minutes for light to travel from the sun to the earth, so if the sun were to blow up, we wouldnt know till 8 minutes after it had happened.
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 28th, 2005 at 12:36am
poison_fish:
Mike's Demonic Daunter:

yes! it takes 8 minutes for light to travel from the sun to the earth, so if the sun were to blow up, we wouldnt know till 8 minutes after it had happened.
lmfao

personally, that was the FIRST thing i thought of when i saw that video.

Maybe if people though of that and tried to work with it, then it could happen.

but it would have to have restricted usage. it could fuck up so many things.
Register