Story Trends

AuthorMessage
Banach95
King For A Couple Of Days
Banach95

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 02:23am
Handguns For Hearts:
Oh yeah, I BADLY want to create a thread that's more along the lines of....brainstorming. You know, help each other out, give each other tips, exchange story ideas.

But, I'm afraid to. Most threads I make get locked and/or no attention.

Already on it Wink
Banach95
Banach95

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 02:24am
Pickle:
No, I want to get you started on titles. I want to hear it.

I really don't want to say much, since I am one of the story editors here...

and taking a line from Hands ava...

"And that's all I'm going to say about that."

*sulks back in to quietly correct my spelling error on the word 'editors'. my fingers can't type as fast as my brain goes*
davey jones.
Falling In Love With The Board
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 02:33am
Hmm..

I just reviewed someone's story. Like, a PM thing. I wrote a summary and all. I want to try to help people who want help...there should be some sort of official committee type thing on GSB that does that. Like a few people. Laughing Lord knows people need it.
Banach95
Banach95

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 02:51am
Handguns For Hearts:
Hmm..

I just reviewed someone's story. Like, a PM thing. I wrote a summary and all. I want to try to help people who want help...there should be some sort of official committee type thing on GSB that does that. Like a few people. Laughing Lord knows people need it.

working on this too...
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 02:55am
sampalletband:
Handguns For Hearts:
Hmm..

working on this too...

Miss busy bee. Razz
Banach95
Banach95

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 02:58am
Handguns For Hearts:
sampalletband:
Handguns For Hearts:
Hmm..

working on this too...

Miss busy bee. Razz

well working on it as in sent an email to Dujo... working on it Wink
P-nut
Idiot
P-nut
July 12th, 2006 at 04:49am
I'm beginning to think that there needs to be somewhere with a list of links to places that will give writers/anyone else who cares information about the things that they want to write about so that there is an easy, fairly effortless way for them to get a tiny bit of realism into their stories...

I'd be happy to do it while I'm not doing anything else, but theres no point in starting it anymore than I have from my own writing if no one would be interested.
HavingAGreenDay
HavingAGreenDay

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 12:00pm
sampalletband:
Handguns For Hearts:
sampalletband:
Handguns For Hearts:
Hmm..

working on this too...

Miss busy bee. Razz

well working on it as in sent an email to Dujo... working on it Wink
I have no idea who the committee would be... Laughing
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 12:15pm
I know of a website somewhere that has all the meanings of the fanfiction stuff (like cannon, plot bunnies, OCs, MS,) and once I find it again, I'll post it in here and shoot it to Michelle. Maybe that can help somewhere.

Also, Handguns for Hearts, I gotta PM you, I got an idea that I just talked to Michelle about that you might like and ties into what you said about plot ideas.

Aight, I found it. This website is a glossary of all fanfiction terms and it even tells you where it originated. Maybe this will eventually help someone:

http://www.subreality.com/glossary/terms.htm
CristhyneS
Jackass
CristhyneS

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 02:32pm
What you were saying about story titles! Please, people! Why does some stories have titles longer than any of the sentenses in the story.

Let's take Pickle's example, "Why Billie Joe and I fell in love and But Mike! You don't love her! You love me!"

And then ,when you get your hands on the sotry you find it's something like this:

"Hello." Said Billie.

"Hey." Said Lola with a smile.

"May I sit here?"

"Sure." Answered Lola.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Billie Joe, he's Mike, and he's Tré."

"Nice to meet you all." She said with a why smile.

"You seem bored." Commented Mike.

"Yeah..."

"You wanna hang around?"

"Sure."

END OF CHAPTER.

WTF?

Besides, what is it with people not knowing how to write speeches. Too hard to understand it should look like "Hello," said Billie.?

Well, I think that storylines in their selves are kind of an opinion. Some people like the whole 'Mike is a vampire' thing and with good writing, it can make up for a weak plotline because it will give it depth that the reader can flesh it out on their own if they needed to.

However, again in my opinion, a good, unique plot but with poor writing behind it is a waste. I've seen those and I can't get past the retched writing in order to enjoy the plot. You know, though, every story has room for improvement. Every single, stinking one.

You made an excellent point, by the way.

I still disagree on the "popular" stories. A lot of them have crappy writing and crappy plots. Not all of them, but a majority.

Being the minority is so fun.

Yeah. The thing is, when I talk about "crappy plots" I mean that, "Mike is a vampire" is the only plot the author has. How much can you do around that story line? Not much. So what you get it's a story that shows that the author has a way with words (most of the time nto even that though), but every single chapter is no more than whatever came to the author's mind the day s/he decided to write that chapter.

It just sucks. It's crap disguised behind beautiful words.

And then you have an awesome plot. But the author has no idea how to word things out (which is probably due to not reading anything in their whole lives), and you just can't see anything beautifl on that story, besides a great plot idea that is poorly developed.

Doubt I need to get into the crappy ploted and crapy written stories.
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 02:37pm
Okay, I got ya now. Yeah. In a story, you have your main plot, but you also have subplots that go along at the same time.

Like My Fair Lady, it's about Jakob and Chloe mainly but you also have Jakob's problems with his family and Frankito and Lauren among others and all of this is going on at the same time but it all works together. In my chapter I just submitted, Chloe's not even in it and her name is mentioned once but her and Jakob's problems are still there but we're focusing on another problem that will help with the main plot in the long run.
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 03:16pm
Pickle:
Okay, I got ya now. Yeah. In a story, you have your main plot, but you also have subplots that go along at the same time.

Like My Fair Lady, it's about Jakob and Chloe mainly but you also have Jakob's problems with his family and Frankito and Lauren among others and all of this is going on at the same time but it all works together. In my chapter I just submitted, Chloe's not even in it and her name is mentioned once but her and Jakob's problems are still there but we're focusing on another problem that will help with the main plot in the long run.
Sounds good, I love your stories.
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 05:30pm
Well thank you. I spend a lot of time on them and it's good to hear a kind word for them.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 05:42pm
You know, if I could write a summary of all I felt about writing and other writers, I would. I can't put it into words, though. How ironic.
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 05:44pm
I know the feeling. It's something you can't quite put your finger on and describe.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 05:48pm
Hmm.

Do you have MSN? Think
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 05:53pm
Nope. Just Yahoo.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
July 12th, 2006 at 05:54pm
Hmm.

*PMs you*
caz_dirnt
Geek
caz_dirnt

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 06:39pm
After reading this thread, I realised that pretty much all 3 of the GD stories are guilty of a lot of the stuff in here- at least in some way. I've only posted one of them though. I was hesitant to post the other 2 because I was scared that people would hate them and say horrible things, but I decided that I was going to basically so that I could get some advice on how to make them better. I really like the stories that I'm writing and I wouldn't wanna abandon them just cos of some bad reviews.
CristhyneS
Jackass
CristhyneS

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 08:21pm
Pickle:
I know the feeling. It's something you can't quite put your finger on and describe.

That kind of feelings (the ones you can't put into words) have a name.

But yes, that happens quite a lot, I think.

You know, as I read through this thread I thought it is worth to PM some authors with a link to this thread when deleting their stories, or just to the ones that have some serious issues to overcome. But I've already PMed so manu authors with the helpful grammar tips thread when deleting their stories because of multiple grammar and punctuation issues, just to then have to delete their stories again because of the same issues.

I wonder if it's even worth it at all?

Probably they'd find it offensive or something and reply stuff like "i know why people is leaving this place, everyone is so bitchy and strict lately. fuck off and die, please".

Rolling Eyes
Register