Sports being compulsary in schools

AuthorMessage
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
February 6th, 2007 at 04:51pm
i dont think it should be some kids really hate sports and might get teased if they are bad at it
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
February 6th, 2007 at 06:02pm
so, I went to a technology school
not because it's in my district
I specifically applied to go
because it's a technology school

however, I couldn't just take Digital Music and Web Based Programming my first year
I had to take the standard classes first
so when I became a Sophmore, I had applied for both of those, you know what class I got?
basketball
I already took Health (AKA bullshit propaganda that you have to have to graduate high school) and PE (AKA "faggot!"...they never quite got my name right)

but still

I have basketball

yes, I asked to be moved out
I have all the time
and you know what I'm in?

basketball

do I know how to play basketball?
no
do I like basketball?
no
do I like the people in basketball?
no

but I have basketball

and now that I'm done with my ranting, you can see how idealistic is "everyone get into shape and be happy!" is compared to "if you're a prick fucking douche bag jock you get to call everyone who isn't a faggot!" and "if you aren't a prick fucking douche bag jock then you can just go fuck yourself because you aren't worth it and school will be hell....you fucking faggot!"
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 6th, 2007 at 06:58pm
Then the issue isnt with the physical activity itself, its with the other kids. Im lucky enough to be fairly talented in sports, but reading through the things people say such as that it really makes you wonder what the hell a coach is there for. Aren't they in charge of supervising the class. Those with athletic talent get favored like there is no tomorrow, and it isn't fair. it can rub off onto other classes too. Some school have standards athletes have to meet in order to play on a team, like a 70% average or above in all subjects. Our football team would be nothing without our wide reciever, hes an amazing ahtelete, however I do think hes allergic to studying. He fails the majority of the tests in science and there is no way in hell he has a 70% on his own... funny how he must get extra credit oppotunities no one else does. Also how peculiar it is that the science teacher happens to be the assistant coach. That is why gym class is hell for people. Physical activity isn't bad for you, being tourmented and bullied however is.

@ nick: I can't believe they placed you in a Sports class over something important like that. That can mess with your schedule for next year and the classes you need to take then. Thats just ridiculous. I say take that basketball and shove it up...
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
February 7th, 2007 at 11:28am
I guess it's about sports in USA(?)

Anyway here in Romania PE classes aren't even...classes.2 times a week and the teacher(no not a coach) doesn't come to the hour.Rolling Eyes
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
February 7th, 2007 at 11:35am
Honestly, I hated gym class in middle school and elementary school. In elementary school, it was like once or twice a week but I still got made fun of for being the slowest runner and the first to fall during pushups. It got a little better in middle school, but I was still laughed at for being the slowest runner and for being fat and stuff. I barely got a second for bar-hang.

But for ninth grade, I moved to India where they have one gym period a week for like 3 hours. its horrible. it's dumb, even. I think I appreciate the system in my old school better. It's so idiotic what they do here. They make the kids run for a minute and do a few stretches and then march a bit and then they can go do whatever they want for 2 and a half hours. which usually involves people fighting, a hell of a lot of bullying and girls sitting on the side of the badminton court crying. Fun fun fun Rolling Eyes
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 7th, 2007 at 03:13pm
*muffin_girl*:
wow and i just typed that in my PE lesson... cos i got kicked out.. again this time for not having my kit cos we havnt always had PE on this day if ur in GCSE like i am its just been recently and i have had realllllyyyy major stuff going on recently so like i giave a shit bout my sport kit right now. Rolling Eyes
plus my teacher hates me.. she swears at me like crazy...... Coffee

You took GCSE PE and you're not turning up to lessons with kit?
Hey, you know, thats like me turning up to Physics without my textbooks and a calculator. I chose to take that subject, least I can do is come prepared.

I didn't take PE as an option so I just do an hour of Games now. I'd rather study, like the lucky people who never had to take french or got to drop their subjects because it was "too tough" on them. In my school, one girl dropped her GCSE because she goes ice skating and she never had time to do her homework in that subject. So she gets an hour study while I run around the gym in a shirt that has been too big on me for five years and I still have an extra subject to study.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
February 7th, 2007 at 03:21pm
i jsut can't stand it because i'd rather be learning something, not doing some sort of course [which is embarassing]. I got hit in the head with a basketbal the other day and got an awful headache [you can't take medicine at school unless you have a note]. I couldn't focuz the rest of the day i have PE 2 period. Doesn't help that my teachers are complete assholes too.

T_T
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
February 7th, 2007 at 05:16pm
I swear though, ill hate sports when we go outside again. Its too cold right now.
If i stick with my friends, then we'll just walk the 'warmup' where we have to run a big circle. Im going to complain about it along with my friends, but i will do it.
Its never fun being bullied for being slower or bad at sports. I know, because ive been there. Just thought id add on to what i wrote before.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
February 7th, 2007 at 05:19pm
Walk In The Sun:
I swear though, ill hate sports when we go outside again. Its too cold right now.
If i stick with my friends, then we'll just walk the 'warmup' where we have to run a big circle. Im going to complain about it along with my friends, but i will do it.
Its never fun being bullied for being slower or bad at sports. I know, because ive been there. Just thought id add on to what i wrote before.

i do the same thing.
and we get graded on fast we can run a 1/2 mile [which our warm up]

i usually end up with a C/D because i can't do any better than 7 minutes.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
February 8th, 2007 at 01:57pm
Bitchden:
Walk In The Sun:

i do the same thing.

Yeah, that sucks.
Im really bad at running. If i have the energy, i can keep a steady rhythm and all, but if you dont have that at the moment? Dno No, i think sports should be compulsary, i just think there should be given choices, so you can choose what you like better.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
February 8th, 2007 at 02:48pm
Walk In The Sun:
Bitchden:
Walk In The Sun:

i do the same thing.

Yeah, that sucks.
Im really bad at running. If i have the energy, i can keep a steady rhythm and all, but if you dont have that at the moment? Dno No, i think sports should be compulsary, i just think there should be given choices, so you can choose what you like better.

i agree.
some kids jsut can't do certain games.
Franny.
Franny.
February 8th, 2007 at 06:53pm
oo i just remembered another thing besides sports that's mandatory in p.e. there's this thing called 'fitness test' where it's like a combination of sit-ups, push-ups, sprinting, long distance running, long jump [just standing and jumping far], arm hang, and some other stuff.

it's brutal because the whole class watches as people do it individually or even as groups, everyone is staring. there are quite a few people that were in my class [this was last year when i still had it] that were a bit on the large side and they could barely make it through the whole test.

i did well on everything except arm hang. i got like over 10 seconds or something. it's not because i'm super out of shape, it's just that i've broken my left arm before and i can't pull myself up with the same strength from both arms [an imbalance]. and it dropped my p.e. mark a bit.

things like that are unfair. like sports i can understand because it's good to learn how to play news sports and all, but to go through a series of tests like some sort of boot camp traning seems unfair.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 9th, 2007 at 12:09pm
I think P.E. should be mandatory. I was fortunate enough to have nice coaches when I had P.E. who actually helped you in your sport. I think that's what most people need. Music is compulsary in most schools, so is Art, and Maths, and English, and Biology. So why can't P.E. be? And if you do have a proper teacher it is good for keeping in shape and being fit.

Maybe you shouldn't get a mark for attainment, but you should for effort. You pay for school, you pay for everything you do in school. The least you can do is to try.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 9th, 2007 at 06:51pm
Anji:
I think P.E. should be mandatory. I was fortunate enough to have nice coaches when I had P.E. who actually helped you in your sport. I think that's what most people need. Music is compulsary in most schools, so is Art, and Maths, and English, and Biology. So why can't P.E. be? And if you do have a proper teacher it is good for keeping in shape and being fit.

Maybe you shouldn't get a mark for attainment, but you should for effort. You pay for school, you pay for everything you do in school. The least you can do is to try.

Actually, only two of those subjects are mandatory in my school, English and Maths XD
Art, Music, Biology...all optional. So is PE. I suppose my school is pretty free. 'Games' is still compulsory though. I think its a law.
PE and games are different. PE is actual physical education, Games is just running around for 40 minutes.
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
February 9th, 2007 at 07:30pm
It should be mandatory, but. Not be graded with A, B, C, C-, C+ F's. It should be a P or F. (Pass or Fail) You would pass if you try and you are a good sport. The only reason you should fail is if you aren't a good sport. Or just don't apply your self.

I also think that it should be Girl only Boy only classes because by the time your in grade 7 boys are not just people with cooties they're now people you need to impress. So you don't run so you don't get sweating and look like crap when the guys are 'looking' at you.

For example this year, in 9th our new school has divided us. I love it. the teacher isn't expecting both the girls and the guys to do the same thing and to be mushed together. Because I know females and males have different endurance and strength differences. The guys like it too. They can fool around and make fart jokes with out the girls telling them to shut up.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 9th, 2007 at 07:48pm
Ballroom Blitz:
It should be mandatory, but. Not be graded with A, B, C, C-, C+ F's. It should be a P or F. (Pass or Fail) You would pass if you try and you are a good sport. The only reason you should fail is if you aren't a good sport. Or just don't apply your self.

I also think that it should be Girl only Boy only classes because by the time your in grade 7 boys are not just people with cooties they're now people you need to impress. So you don't run so you don't get sweating and look like crap when the guys are 'looking' at you.

For example this year, in 9th our new school has divided us. I love it. the teacher isn't expecting both the girls and the guys to do the same thing and to be mushed together. Because I know females and males have different endurance and strength differences. The guys like it too. They can fool around and make fart jokes with out the girls telling them to shut up.

I would skip gym everyday if boys werent in there. Mr. Green Guys tend to put forth alot more effort in sports and they make it more fun. Its silly to think you have to impress boys 24/7 all the time, if you allow that to stress you out then you need to think about what you're doing. All teenage girls do it, but unless you are at an all girls school you need to get use to having classes with them.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 9th, 2007 at 07:50pm
Competing against boys is illegal here.
School isn't allowed to have mixed football teams.
It has to be a girl vs girl team, or none at all.
Franny.
Franny.
February 9th, 2007 at 08:50pm
our school has coed p.e. classes but most sports are just all guys or all girls but apparently a girl can join a guy's team but a guy can't join a girl's team...i've never understood that, but i guess it's good for girls?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 9th, 2007 at 09:00pm
Bloodraine:

Its not like that here.

and if it was

Con I'd be skipping gym everyday until they let me drop the course.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
February 10th, 2007 at 06:07am
Bloodraine:

That's really weird. For lack of a better word.

At my school, they generally make the teams mixed, an even mix of guys and girls, and if they see the guys dominating the game, they step in and make them give the girls a chance.

I don't see anything wrong with it being compulsary. i mean, I'm not really sporty, but I just don't whinge about it. I've had teachers that have been really sexist (it got to the point where the girls soccer matches for the shire competition was held on an old football pitch (Here, soccer and football are two different things, just saying to avoid confusion). It didn't have the proper lines, goal posts, we didn't even have a proper ref. The guys however, did. The girls team (that i was in) were the undefeated champions, and we were supposed to go in the yearbook. We never did. The teacher never turned up to our match to take photos. Not once, could he be arsed to get in his car, and drive 2 minutes to the grounds.), but i just ignored it. It's my opinion that if you put yourself in to a mindset where you hate it, it's gonna suck. But if you came to the lesson with an open mind, it wouldn't be half as bad.
Register